PS3 General Discussion

OK, after watching the conference for myself, Kaz never said the silver or white PS3 wont be launched; he just said the black PS3 will be available in all territories on launch.

So did anyone watch the Sony Press conference on GameSpot while it was delayed. I did, it was funny amount of people dishing off the PS3.

While still dishing it after for the price, but if you want real time CGI graphics and a Blu-Ray player with a 60GB HDD for £409. Then thats the price you have to pay, it does help to have a job.

Doesn't it Slack.

I don't know what to say about the PS3 that has not allready been said. Ooohhh and aaahhhs abound, it doesnt appear to be all that far beyond that of the XBOX 360 in terms of capability, and the prices, well, are exactly what we XBOX guys predicted, too high. (let the flame war start!)

I'm being as optimistic about the PS3 as possible, and I don't doubt that I might eventually buy one is only for Gran Turismo HD. I can't leve my favorite franchise behind, but ohhh well. Other than that, meh!? I didn't sit through the entire press conference because of Hari sounds like such a jackass when he presents, and the ranting and raving about the PSP drove me crazy.

It will be interesting to see what kind of a show Nintedo and Microsoft put on at 12:30EST and 3:00EST respectively, as the "hurdle" of PS3 will be a rather large one to jump. I'm still siding with Microsoft and Nintendo this year, but things may change after I can see more coverage tomorow on G4 and on the rest of the internet...

GT HD was just a demo for E3, the full product knowen as GT5 is only just had work started on it. I bet the price may scare people off, aka paper boys and people who do not have jobs.

But if that means more PS3's so I don't miss out on one, this Nov 06. Then I don't mind lol. :)

Well, it is a tough call to make. If people were complaining about $399.99 for a 20GB-equipped 360, are they not going to complain about $499.99 for a PS3?

They are going to sell well, there isnt any question there, esp. to the Playstation faithful. But in households that allready have a 360, it may be less important, as gas prices are on the rise, etc.

Greater capability or not, $500 is A LOT of money for a new console, and it may be the deciding factor in the success of the PS3 as a whole...

There are playable demos at E3, but Eight Days is still a work in process game. In other words there is no demo of Eight Days, which people cannot play on the floor.

i watched parts of the conference on gamespot on gameboy resolution. So I can't really say anything about the grafics, but that Africa demo for example looked great and I love the new old controller.... Did they say anything about REGION CODE LOCK ?

...I was just peeking at the G4 Forums, and the whole thing just lit' up with PS3 threads. The fanboys are either pissed or in denial, and the rest of us are just laughing at them after the "beating" we took over the past year over how great the PS3 might be.

This is just absolutely hilarious, a complete turn of the table twards Microsoft and Nintendo... I mean seriously, take a look back at this thread over the past few months, it is quite funny...

IGN :
As we have previously mentioned, the PS3 controller will apparently no longer feature rumble capabilities. This apparently interferes with the DualShock's motion sensing capabilities (although we could imagine quite a few games that will not use the motion control and yet would really enjoy good ol' rumble.) No mention was made of the cost of replacement or extra PS3 controllers.

WTF? Oh well that sucks...no rumble ? They can keep their 6waywhatever, I want rumble:crazy: :yuck:

Max_DC
IGN :

WTF? Oh well that sucks...no rumble ? They can keep their 6waywhatever, I want rumble:crazy: :yuck:

So your saying they can stick their controller 6 ways? :lol: You want rumble!

You could always pretend to have rumber, but Phil Harrison said Motion is this gen aka PS3 and Xbox 360. While rumble is last gen.

TVR&Ferrari_Fan
You could always pretend to have rumber, but Phil Harrison said Motion is this gen aka PS3 and Xbox 360. While rumble is last gen.
I don't completely believe that Sony didn't want rumble, but I don't care. I usually turn off rumble when I play a game. It hurts my hands. All that vibration is no damn good for your finger joints. Especially mine.

YSSMAN
...I was just peeking at the G4 Forums, and the whole thing just lit' up with PS3 threads. The fanboys are either pissed or in denial, and the rest of us are just laughing at them after the "beating" we took over the past year over how great the PS3 might be.

This is just absolutely hilarious, a complete turn of the table twards Microsoft and Nintendo... I mean seriously, take a look back at this thread over the past few months, it is quite funny...

What are you talking about? Because the last I checked, the demo's for Heavenly Sword, MGS4, and Resistence were all far above a lot of the trailers shown last year and this year.

As for 8 Days, you do realize that the "game" shown last year (gas station) and the "game" shown at GDC (shooting car) were BOTH from 8 Days?

Seems like you might be the gentleman in denial, after having read a few of your posts, which are clearly full of nonsense. You're loss kiddie.

Solid Lifters
I don't completely believe that Sony didn't want rumble, but I don't care. I usually turn off rumble when I play a game. It hurts my hands. All that vibration is no damn good for your finger joints. Especially mine.
They could not fit both motion and rumble both in, also remember the wireless joypad needs a battery and blue tooth. Anyway games are region free like we heard a long time ago, one more thing anyone see any sites putting pre-orders up yet.

^^ The problem had less to due with space, and more to due with function.

Given that the "6 degrees of freedom" are inherently derived from the motion of the controller, it would be impossible to accurately include the fucntion if the entire controller was moving and shaking all of the time, hence, the feature was not included, to suffice for a better, more functional option.

tha_con
^^ The problem had less to due with space, and more to due with function.

Given that the "6 degrees of freedom" are inherently derived from the motion of the controller, it would be impossible to accurately include the fucntion if the entire controller was moving and shaking all of the time, hence, the feature was not included, to suffice for a better, more functional option.
But moation has been used in pass things before the wii, like joysticks and anlog sticks on joypads. They use motion to move things, like when going right that is classed as motion mainly. Also doesn't the motion thing in the PS3 Dual Shock bring back memorys of a joypad, which was designed for the first Ridge racer on PS1.

And the Eye toy used motion from someones body.

TVR&Ferrari_Fan
But moation has been used in pass things before the wii, like joysticks and anlog sticks on joypads. They use motion to move things, like when going right that is classed as motion mainly. Also doesn't the motion thing in the PS3 Dual Shock bring back memorys of a joypad, which was designed for the first Ridge racer on PS1.

And the Eye toy used motion from someones body.

You're not understanding, the sensor doesn't work as simple as you think it does.

It's 6 precise degrees of motion sensors. Not just "hey let's move this way".

Rumble features could disrupte the precise input needed for a game to function properly, hence, it was removed, since it was not viewed as the most valuable asset. If you want to argue, that's fine, but I have insider information, and according to spokesmen, the rumble was taken out because it was not an option sony saught to endorse, especially with extended cost and R&D. It would have been pointless for them to include it, as it would ruin their Motion technology.

Least it isn't a banana pad anymore, but the lack of rumble, and cheesy tilting tech does cheapen it somewhat. Oh well, it might be better then it sounds.

And it's gonna cost a crap load over here in the U.K. :*(

code_kev
Least it isn't a banana pad anymore, but the lack of rumble, and cheesy tilting tech does cheapen it somewhat. Oh well, it might be better then it sounds.

And it's gonna cost a crap load over here in the U.K. :*(

I agree..... I think the controller is a really poor attempt..... how are you going to feel the game if the controller doesnt rumble... that is so cheap. They didnt even bother to make the buttons see through (like the PSP's)... gosh I hope I can use my DS2's because im not going to buy that controller apart from the one I get in the box). Plus its going to be like £300 plus! and no one is really going to buy the 20gb version..... hmmm.. seriously what is up with sony... I have to say the 360's controller looks way better but I suppose sony are sticking with what they know...

As for sony not wanting rumble im and 100% sure that thats a lie... seriously it only becausethey lost a court case... 360 has vibration because they just paid the licence...

Im glad they stuck with the DS, im a bit miffed by it not having any rumbble feature tho! and if they make it smaller and lighter im a happy bunny, plus it looks like it will be wirless from the off (unlike 360)

143353903_bde6445202.jpg

143353907_9dc6425258.jpg

143353904_505158aa58.jpg

Im liking the black too. I was watching it live but because it was delayed, i decided to go to bed, so im having to catch up fully today :(

YSSMAN
Well, it is a tough call to make. If people were complaining about $399.99 for a 20GB-equipped 360, are they not going to complain about $499.99 for a PS3?

...Greater capability or not, $500 is A LOT of money for a new console, and it may be the deciding factor in the success of the PS3 as a whole...
When I was giving passing consideration to getting a 360 in March to play Forza 1 - I STILL don't see a current 360 game I want - the cheapest I could get a 360 Elite was a stinking $600, packaged with crap I didn't want.

So far the only reason I want a 360 is to play Forza 2, but we'll see after I get home from work to glean some Micro$oft news.

As for rumble, I think it's a goofy gameplay gimmick and I can live without it.

i wonder what the 1,2,3,4 numbers are on the front, is that the lights that tell you which controller is which player?

as for the price, that is very expensive and rele could hurt sony in the console war...

The 1,2,3,4 numbers are probs similar to the xbox 360s light up stuff on the front, displaying amount of pads plugged in. That's my guess anyway.

the market is really splitting... the PS3 is for the hardcore gamer... 600 bucks... that´s is a lot, regardless of blu-ray... with the wii looking like a 200 bargain i really expect micro$oft to change the price of the 360 to 299... speacially since they will include that HD-DVD stuff... 600 against 300 and 200 might smell trouble, because avarage gamers are cheap, they will not make videogames a priority...

everything was great news, but the lack of rumble and also the price were the bad things...

one more thing, what´s up with those f¨%$# jornalists???

IGN put a headline saying: "gran turismo HD is annouced" now people think this game will be released.:dunce: :yuck:

as a journalist myself, i hated that. i saw the conference. c´mon, it was a DEMO MADE FOR E3 is not GT5!!! i just hate that misleading info... there´s no way they can release a version that looks like GT4, but in hi def...

it took PD 3 years to develop GT4... imagine now... i say that because... its been over 15 months since they finished GT4... and they don´t even had the engine of GT5 to show... ouch... it will take a lot of time to see GT5 running in PS3...

There's a PDf here showing the 'cheaper' 20GB without HDMI etc. Also note 1 HDMI out on the 60GB.
If there are 4 lights on the controller (like Xbox) then there can only be 4 players on PS3 unless a PSP is used.

No rumble. As suspected. Big mistake. I can't play Gran Turismo without 'feeling' the car. It's a step backwards and has more to do with the court case with Immersion Technologies (or whatever they're called) than anything else.

On the positive side the games did look good (admittedly the quality of the feed on Gamestop affects that somewhat - go to gametrailers.com to download trailers etc) but in comparison to 360 games shown last year they do look as good as and better than in a few respects. I noticed several that were running comfortably at 60fps. Heavenly Sword was a surprise. Resistance: Fall of Man again surprised. Looks like 60fps and prettier than say Call of Duty 2.
MGS4 obviously looked glorious and my God, Raiden looks interesting!
Almost certainly some of the trailers were pre-rendered stuff. I'm hoping some of FFXIII were'nt.

Personally the PS3 as a machine can produce great looking games. But no rumble - bad, reduced spec on $100 cheaper console - bad. Price - bad, for many but acceptable to most...maybe. I'm waiting on a UK £ price.

PS fasj6418. Yeah, I noticed that on IGN. Pillocks.

I agree, how on earth do you drive in GT4 without feeling the rumble strips and feeling the wheels slip....... talk about gimmic, motion sensing is the biggest gimmic ever..... all it can be used for is flying games......this is totally to do with the court case.

The price is stupid..... everywhere over the net they have said that the price is way too high... I was expecting it to be atleast equal to 360 or maybe even lower to break the market... I was all for buying it on launch day, I paid like £300 for my PS2 but I am not going to fork out £400 plus for the console, then games etc etc... Going to have to wait like a year till the price drops.

Also, has anyone siad whether or not its region free? If it isnt im off to another country to buy it cheaper because the UK price is going to be like £90 higher!

The price isn't stupid, it's reasonable IMO, if they use the 4.7G DVD instead of 25G BD, I think the 20G version of the PS3 will be as cheap as the 360 premium.
As for the rumble, yes, sometimes i use it, sometimes i don't, It doesn't matter to me of the "DS3" has it or not, i am happy with what I've known so far, can't wait to see the PS3 to be playable at walmart:drool: 👍

Back