PS3 just YLOD'd

i have had my ps3 on since i installed the game at 11:30 this morning (its now 11:17pm).
and still running fine, the exhausts are hot but what i've done is elevate the ps3 on top of 4 tins of pellet cans. its pretty ghetto, but it gets the job done. it also helps that the temps in general are cold (colder than usual in the SF bay area).

when i played GOWIII it was actually running hotter and to battle the heat i had a small fan drawing hot air & blowing that hot air away from it.

since i also have a launch 60gb ps3, im thinking of opening the sucker one day and cleaning the paste from cpu & gpu with some rubbing alcohol and q-tips, and applying IC diamond 7 thermal paste.

I have a refurbished 60gb model, about two years old now. It replaced a launch 60gb. It actually seems to run a lot cooler with GT5 than others games, such as fallout3 and GTA4. Or at least, the fans ain't waking up the neighbours when i play GT5.

Fingers crossed (ive probably jinxed it now).

My 60GB runs cool with GT5 too.

I was expecting the fan to come in like in Uncharted 2. Perhaps when I get a full field of Premiums cars and a track that's been overhauled to PS3 standard it might start.

My ps3 totally freaked out today for the first time since I bought it in 2008...

(60 GB phat)

Suddenly the game became super choppy (like 3 fps), start menu wouldn't pop up, then the game froze completely.
PS button worked (but also slow to respond) and I shut down the PS3 that way.
Left it off for half an hour.

It had been on for like 6 hours , but still, that's the first time it did that.

I also saw some vertical lines earlier where shadows or blur should be , thought it was a bug but I wonder if it were artifacts.

Ahwell, if it dies on me I'll smash it for laughs and go back to pc gaming, gt is the only game I 've used the stupid thing for in the last year anyhow.

You should get £50-60 from ebay.

Let them know you haven't attempted a reflow with a heat gun.

YLOD is mainly the GPU solder cracking but it can be the Power Supply.

In the UK you have the sales of goods act which could've helped you get a replacement. You need an independent report stating what's failed. Say its the GPU solder that failed, this shouldn't happen so you're entitled to a replacement from the store you bought from as the unit didn't last the expected time. Think its 6 years. You're about 3.5 years in.

If more people used the goods act for the GPU solder cracking the more the shops would be onto Sony as the shops have to foot the bill after 1 year. Sadly most owners just take it on the chin or watch a video and get the heat gun out. Sony YLOD is a manufacture fault but they have gotten away with it.

Sainsburys are doing the 160GB for £199. It's been going for a few weeks now so they may have sold out. PC World might price match it.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that.

It's like a very old man (20, 60, and 80GB 'fat' PS3s) who had a heart attack (YLoD) after bedding (installing and playing) one of the sexiest women on the planet (GT5).

Hope you can get it all sorted soon and get back to racing.

👍

Oh god that Sucks , sorry to hear about your PS3

Amazon are doing 160GB Slims for £228 or is it £229 anyway thats about the Cheapest I could Find

Hope you get sorted out 👍

I've also got a Launch 60GB PS3 thats two and a Half Years Old

I was on that for 17 hours Yesterday

So far so Good :nervous:

It sucks to hear about all these fat PS3 failures, its literally the worlds best kept secret that they are actually quite unreliable (mostly overshadowed by the fact the fat 360's at the time were far worse). All those initial reviews and tests that praised the PS3's reliability (by sticking it in freezers and saunas etc) were premature and gave no real indication of its ability to endure usage over a long period of time, in a nutshell they jumped to conclusions.

The fat PS3's are primarily susceptible to 2 different failures, YLOD and Blu Ray laser failure. I would suggest those with fatty's still working apply new thermal paste because by now the stock paste is likely to be cracking up and no longer working properly.

Robin.

I feel bad for any GT fan who bought a PS3 because of launch GT promises only to find it broke before GT ever came out...

That'll be me then! Well mine isn't broke but I bought it when prologue came out - 40 gb job - and it rather annoys me that if I'd waited until GT finally DID come out I could have got a 320 gb for the same price.

Especially when I'm more an xbox chappie so the ps3 has just sat there unused for 2 years waiting for GT5 and now its inferior to the slim lol

Oh god that Sucks , sorry to hear about your PS3

Amazon are doing 160GB Slims for £228 or is it £229 anyway thats about the Cheapest I could Find

Hope you get sorted out 👍

I've also got a Launch 60GB PS3 thats two and a Half Years Old

I was on that for 17 hours Yesterday

So far so Good :nervous:

Mate - sainsburys are doing 160 gb slims for £199 :)

I've killed three dualshock 3's in the past two years alone (one due to throwing it at what I thought was a sofa but turned out to be a stone ornament.

what the hell do you sit on? ;)

Seriously though, I feel your pain. Unlucky man but i hope you get visited by the ps3 fairy. Or Kevin Butler.

I'm Level 14 after 12 hours or so.
If my PS3 dies I'll FREAK OUT!

Do you guys think there is a reasonable chance Sony will un-lock our save games?! :scared:

I have a PS3 60gb original and GT5 certainley makes ps3 hotter then any other game I own! I have a lapptop cooler underneath her. Any other advice for keeping hr cool (without being stupid and puting a 200mm fan infront of her) he he

Do you guys think there is a reasonable chance Sony will un-lock our save games?! :scared:
I think you mean Polyphony.

Sorry to hear about the OPs PS3 dying, unfortunately we all have to accept that our PS3s will die and many more people will be effected by this, quite a few of my friends are on their 3rd PS3. Unfortunately all GT players should realise that until the GT5 save can be backed up they could be next.

I see my GT save as a 'game career' and I do not have the time or inclination to restart (and maybe even restart again) just because of this. If I lose a load of work because I could not backup - I will sell the game, and yes that is coming from someone who has played every GT game.

Last edited:
Funnily, my phat PS2 also died a couple of days after I got GT4.

By the way, are slim PS3's also prone to the YLOD and Blu-Ray laser failure? I mean, are there any cases to be reported already?

If any of you guys still running the 'phat' PS3s, take the top cover off and position a fan to blow over internals - helps alot

Keep your PS3 upright. Get a stand maybe.

The ventilation fans are on the side. Heat rises so having it up right will help keep CPU temp lower.

This game will test your ps3 out to the max.

ouch i know your pain

when i first got a PS2 and GT3, my TV soundboard died so i had no TV to play on for 3weeks

Mine died after having played the game for two measly hours :( so i went to the store, and they send it in for repair... now i have to wait further two weeks before i can play GT, life isn't fair sometimes :)

EDIT:
It wasn't YLOD though, it just stopped being able do read BD's and games

They fail because of the lack of lead in the solder. Since you're not allowed to sell lead in electronics any more they have to use tin based solder instead.

Tin can't handle the varying temperatures as well as lead and ends up cracking, which breaks connections on the motherboard and ends up bricking your console.

Going from very hot to very cold, or very cold to very hot is what does it. Obviously the more extreme the temperatures the more likely you are of having the unit fail.

New PS3's have the same flaw, since they don't have lead based solder either. The advantage with the new PS3's is that they run cooler anyway, so the temperature range is reduced and therefore the risk of cracking solder is reduced.

This is the same flaw that causes the RROD on Xboxes.

my ps3(60gb few months after launch model) was working fine till yesterday when I tried to install gt5, after 1 hour it was still at 20-30% so I tried to restart it but the ps3 couldn't read any game anymore, so I guess the lens is dead
It feels stupid to say that gt killed my ps3 but it really looks like it
I hurried to buy a new ps3 to play gt but it still sucks to see a perfectly working ps3 die like that

same here. mine ps3 is overheated during gt5. i was first like someone else had turned my ps3 off. then it wouldnt restart and the yellow light appears. my gt5 disc was stuck in my ps3. here is a trick to get your disc out your ps3

1. turn the switch to "off"
2. hold your finger on the eject buttom
3. turn the ps3 on (still hold your finger on the eject)
4. the ventilators are going to work and your game is popping out.

now im gonna let it fix for 50 euro. if you send it to Sony they send you a different ps3 back.

Back