PS3 Paranoia

• Thread starter DeeEmmSee
  • 76 comments
Yes its the best figure you are going to get but fact of the matter is because this issue is happening outside warranty period and people know how expensive it is to send electronic equipment in for repair - they just leave it gathering dust, and this seems to be the case with the PS3 from when i was faced with a useless PS3 that couldnt read discs.
While some may leave it at that, many people don't. Repair is often cheaper than replacement and having worked customer services for renault UK for two years I can also assure you that work outside warranty (either by contribution or full payment) certainly does exist.

Anyone who is not making the full use of manufacturers and retailers customer service and the Sale of Goods act (in the UK) on items that failed out of warranty needs to be more proactive in exercising the rights they have.

Good point, electronic devices are hit and miss for me, some have never failed in countless years, some have failed whilst under warranty but the most expensive electronic devices i have owned always fail after warranty period
I agree on the most with what you say here, but certainly can't correlate expense with failure outside warranty. Every part of my current Hi-fi cost more as a single separate that my PS3 did and none of them has ever given me a problem at all.

All manufacturers will experience a degree of failure in any item they make.

I paid £900 for a 32" Samsung LCD TV that failed 3 months after the 12 months warranty and it was going to cost more than £500 to get it fixed and by this time i could buy a brand new Samsung LCD 32" TV for £500. End result it went in a skip.

PS3 5 months out of warranty stopped reading discs.

Point is though, even though there is statistically a failure rate of 3% I can tell you right now this will be rising, more and more people are discovering this fault everyday and its always consoles over 12 months warranty.
How can you tell me right now?

Sorry but outside of anecdotal evidence you can't.

Also keep in mind that in the product X example I gave I quite clearly described a lifetime failure rate. The original PS3's could well have a 3% failure rate, and its quite obvious that they are not all going to occur within the first year, its the lifespan combined with increases in units sold that can give an impression of an increase in failure when they may in fact still be well within what is an acceptable failure rate.

Renault and reliable should never be used in the same sentence. Please do not start me on Renault.
Why?

Pick a manufacturer and I will give you a list of known recalls and faults, none is perfect and while Renault certainly have issues they are far from the worst around.

Why 'should' anyone expect something to fail? I dont go out and buy something with the thought in mind "oh well it will pack in at some point so i'll just continue to spend this £900 of my hard earned cash."

I expect reliability because its not impossible, thats why i always buy Honda's.
Did I say you should expect something to fail?

No I didn't.

What I said was that expecting 100% reliability is totally unrealistic, or do you believe that be picking a Honda it will never go wrong? If that's the case I'm sure it will be news that will interest the Honda Warranty Clerks I am training in Bristol next week. don't worry I will mention it to them, always worth a quick laugh.

In future please don't take a quite clear statement and twist it to try and suit your own perspective, I don't appreciate it. I never came even close to implying what you have stated here.

But the PS3 was reliable in its 1st year and was regarded as an extremely reliable piece of electronic equipment, thats why people cannot accept that this blu ray drive issue is happening after its first year and are standing their ground saying its normal when quite frankly its not.
I'm yet to see anyone actually show that this is a result of an increase in failure rates over what you would expect as a percentage of the total units sold.

Tell you what electronic equipment has a normal failure rate of 3%, Sony has sold around 22 million units, show me that more than 660,000 have failed and will have a point. Until then it is perfectly possible this is 'normal' fall out rates.

That is a good example but it seems that you are ignoring the fact that this is a growing issue. No one knows why they are failing or how many consoles it will affect. I wouldnt be backing up Sony's reliability just yet as this could escalate rapidly. Sony obviously are trying to keep this issue behind closed doors as they do not want the same reputation the 360 has had.
Again show some proof beyond anecdotal evidence that this has pushed failure rates over 3% and you will have me convinced.

Every singe one of your points is based on what individuals have said (and I know personally 10 people with PS3s and none of them has had a problem does that allow me to claim a failure rate of 0% - of course not) or what you believe may happen.

That's no more (or less) valid than me claiming that PS3 reliability could increase massively in the future and the problem will all go away, neither of these can be backed up with anything.

No one can argue with the facts and figures as people will constantly frown upon you for doing so and think you are being idiotic but you are ignoring the fact that me and Robin. are that guy you desribed -> 'a bloke on a web-site posted'.

We are real people, real examples, not a manufacturers statistic because they dont even know about our console failure because there repair costs are a joke.
I don't believe that I have either doubted that your machine failed, nor mocked anyone for having it happen, and its does suck that you have suffered this. That does not however prove in any way that a manufacturing defect is present at all, nor does it prove an increase beyond the norm for failure.

I can see this arguments from both sides of the fence. Yes facts and figures dont lie but speaking from experience they dont show you the whole picture either.

I would be very angry if it was a launch model i owned that failed ( i already owned one and sold it on due to boredom then i realised i was an idiot and had to buy a 40gb one ) cost me £425 on day 1 and if that failed sony are looking for around £100 just to take a look at whats wrong with it!!! Never mind money i spent on blu ray movies and games and accessories (around £300 - £400) which suddenly become useless.
That exact same point would apply to almost any product you buy, it just gets more frustrating, to illustrate here's a nice forum thread full of people with problems with Honda's..........

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f18675a

.......given the logic many use does this mean that I can now start claiming that Honda's have reliability issues? Of course not.

Regards

Scaff

Nope that was just a cheap laser assembly that caused the problem with the PS2, they simply wore out.

It wasn't just that the laser assembly was cheap it was also partly to do with the fact that part way through the life of the PS2, Sony decided to use dual-layer DVDs for some of the games. Fine if you brought a PS2 after they decided that, but a bugger if you had one before.

For instance, I brought my PS2 at launch, and for the most part it failed every 13 months or so. Come Gran Turismo 4 and GTA:San Andreas, I was going through a PS2 on average every 3 to 4 months. In the end I went through 11 PS2's, the last 4 of which were given to me free because of the sheer 'bad luck' I was going through.

It wasn't just that the laser assembly was cheap it was also partly to do with the fact that part way through the life of the PS2, Sony decided to use dual-layer DVDs for some of the games. Fine if you brought a PS2 after they decided that, but a bugger if you had one before.

For instance, I brought my PS2 at launch, and for the most part it failed every 13 months or so. Come Gran Turismo 4 and GTA:San Andreas, I was going through a PS2 on average every 3 to 4 months. In the end I went through 11 PS2's, the last 4 of which were given to me free because of the sheer 'bad luck' I was going through.
Damn that's unlucky.

My launch day PS2 worked like a charm for the entire time I had it, I sold it shortly after getting my PS3.

Never had a single issue with it at all; now my original Playstation on the other hand, towards the end that needed to be turned upside down just to get it to work.

Regards

Scaff

Yes its the best figure you are going to get but fact of the matter is because this issue is happening outside warranty period and people know how expensive it is to send electronic equipment in for repair - they just leave it gathering dust, and this seems to be the case with the PS3 from when i was faced with a useless PS3 that couldnt read discs.
I just have to respond to this whole "reported failure rates aren't accurate" claim that you and Robin are making.

Reported failure rates for Sony, Microsoft, GE, Toshiba, etc are all coming from the manufacturer. To claim that Sony's PS3 reported failure rate is somehow less accurate is to claim that Sony is lying, while all these other companies must somehow have knowledge of unreported past-warranty failures that you are accusing Sony of not knowing.

To compare a PS3 reported failure rate to any other electronic device's failure rate is a fair comparison because any inaccuracies are the same.

So, if Sony reports a 3% failure rate on a product and Toshiba reports a 3% failure rate on a product, both may be 5% because they both are dealing with the same inaccuracies. But then that means that 5% is the standard.

In other words, saying that the PS3s reported failure rate is in line with other failure rates is accurate, because all your "reasons for inaccuracy" apply to every product.

While some may leave it at that, many people don't. Repair is often cheaper than replacement and having worked customer services for renault UK for two years I can also assure you that work outside warranty (either by contribution or full payment) certainly does exist.

Anyone who is not making the full use of manufacturers and retailers customer service and the Sale of Goods act (in the UK) on items that failed out of warranty needs to be more proactive in exercising the rights they have.

Yeah but things just seem to last 13 months in my house.

I never said work outside warranty didnt exist but most people cant afford that or its a minor problem or they dont trust the manufacturer to repair it.

I agree on the most with what you say here, but certainly can't correlate expense with failure outside warranty. Every part of my current Hi-fi cost more as a single separate that my PS3 did and none of them has ever given me a problem at all.

All manufacturers will experience a degree of failure in any item they make.

I never disagreed with that, What my point was is the fact PS3's are failing after warranty and there are people with PS3's that do nothing but gather dust.

You have told us we shouldnt believe any 'internet users' - why shouldnt I?

Why would thousands of people sign up to a forum just to lie about their broken PS3 which they cant get fixed unless they pay hundreds of pounds as its outside the warranty period?

How can you tell me right now?

Sorry but outside of anecdotal evidence you can't.

Also keep in mind that in the product X example I gave I quite clearly described a lifetime failure rate. The original PS3's could well have a 3% failure rate, and its quite obvious that they are not all going to occur within the first year, its the lifespan combined with increases in units sold that can give an impression of an increase in failure when they may in fact still be well within what is an acceptable failure rate.

I already explained in my previous post that people were not paying to get their expensive paperweight fixed as it costs too much money.

You keep banging on about these acceptable failure rates, yes they exist but they are not accurate.

Go on and show me a 2009 PS3 failure rate percentage.

And the only proof I have that there is an issue is that there seem to be thousands of people who have not acted upon their PS3 breaking and they are all talking about it and its mostly the Blu Ray disc drive failing.

Why?

Pick a manufacturer and I will give you a list of known recalls and faults, none is perfect and while Renault certainly have issues they are far from the worst around.

Try personal experience, fed up working on the damn things, almost every fault down to electric failures.

I've had two Clio's personally(both central locking systems failed, both was a complete sensor/reciever failure - then the latter had an immobiliser issue that i had to beg the car to start just to get me to work as it would be very random when it would fail - not to mention it was the Fuel injector check light that was showing and oxygen sensor when hooked up to a diagnostics machine. Leaking sunroofs, wheel bearings and CV boots galore.

Mum still has one (needed a brand new gearbox about two weeks from new, fingers crossed nothing else has went wrong).

More than one friend has had a Megane (constant window wiring loom failure, windows would either stay up or stay down and refused to work. (also happened to a collegue at work).

Did I say you should expect something to fail?

No I didn't.

What I said was that expecting 100% reliability is totally unrealistic, or do you believe that be picking a Honda it will never go wrong? If that's the case I'm sure it will be news that will interest the Honda Warranty Clerks I am training in Bristol next week. don't worry I will mention it to them, always worth a quick laugh.

In future please don't take a quite clear statement and twist it to try and suit your own perspective, I don't appreciate it. I never came even close to implying what you have stated here.

You stated:

To believe that a device should never fail at all (which is exactly what you have just claimed) quite frankly shocks me, that is a totally unrealistic view to hold. Let me ask, are you 100% infallible in everything you do?

I took from that, that you expect everything you buy to fail 'at some point'. Theres nothing unclear about it actually. So if you believe everything will fail 'at some point' your assuming everything should fail 'at some point'.

This was my opinion on your statement.

I'm yet to see anyone actually show that this is a result of an increase in failure rates over what you would expect as a percentage of the total units sold.

Tell you what electronic equipment has a normal failure rate of 3%, Sony has sold around 22 million units, show me that more than 660,000 have failed and will have a point. Until then it is perfectly possible this is 'normal' fall out rates.

Again show some proof beyond anecdotal evidence that this has pushed failure rates over 3% and you will have me convinced.

Why dont I turn this around and ask you to show me proof that only 660,000 / 3% have failed?

I have yet to see any current figures.

Every singe one of your points is based on what individuals have said (and I know personally 10 people with PS3s and none of them has had a problem does that allow me to claim a failure rate of 0% - of course not) or what you believe may happen.

That's no more (or less) valid than me claiming that PS3 reliability could increase massively in the future and the problem will all go away, neither of these can be backed up with anything.

How do you think the RROD problem of the 360 got heard? Through people complaining about it. Other good thing about RROD (if you could call it that) is it almost nearly everytime happened during the warranty period.

I never said anyone could make up figures, is this you twisting my words now to suit your own perspective?

I actually never came on saying "the PS3 failure rate is above 3% oh my god we are all going to die!!!!!!!!!" What i said was that its clear that this is an ongoing and growing issue when you investigate it even just by reading about it. Figures from early 2008 are not going to do you any justice here.

Ok so say Sony have sold 22,000,000 units and 660,000 have failed so that is a failure rate of 3% - when or if they sell 40,000,000 units 3% failure is 1,200,000. So even though the failure rate is still 3% its still a growing problem.

If Sony ceased production of the PS3 then the failure % would be allowed to rise.

I don't believe that I have either doubted that your machine failed, nor mocked anyone for having it happen, and its does suck that you have suffered this. That does not however prove in any way that a manufacturing defect is present at all, nor does it prove an increase beyond the norm for failure.

Well you told me (and Robin.) not to listen to 'a bloke on a web-site posted' but in reality I am that bloke posting my complaint. So basicly no one should listen to me??

That exact same point would apply to almost any product you buy, it just gets more frustrating, to illustrate here's a nice forum thread full of people with problems with Honda's..........

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f18675a

.......given the logic many use does this mean that I can now start claiming that Honda's have reliability issues? Of course not.

Regards

Scaff

I never said Honda's never had any issues ever but I believe them to be one of the worlds most reliable car manufacturers. I doubt you would ever see renault in that sort of category. And again personal experience influences my statement.

I just have to respond to this whole "reported failure rates aren't accurate" claim that you and Robin are making.

Reported failure rates for Sony, Microsoft, GE, Toshiba, etc are all coming from the manufacturer. To claim that Sony's PS3 reported failure rate is somehow less accurate is to claim that Sony is lying, while all these other companies must somehow have knowledge of unreported past-warranty failures that you are accusing Sony of not knowing.

To compare a PS3 reported failure rate to any other electronic device's failure rate is a fair comparison because any inaccuracies are the same.

So, if Sony reports a 3% failure rate on a product and Toshiba reports a 3% failure rate on a product, both may be 5% because they both are dealing with the same inaccuracies. But then that means that 5% is the standard.

In other words, saying that the PS3s reported failure rate is in line with other failure rates is accurate, because all your "reasons for inaccuracy" apply to every product.

Ok fair point but no one even hinted Sony is lying, my point is that they dont know about all of everyones issues because there are alot of people who are refusing to even contact Sony about their PS3 as it costs almost £100 just for Sony to have a look at it. Their figures also do not compensate for people who may have a problem they do not know about.

So they cant lie if they dont know about it and in this situation with most PS3's failing after warranty period it leaves a big gap in the figures not everyone has the kind of money lying around to pay Sony to fix it or people refuse to pay it as they feel robbed.

Yeah but things just seem to last 13 months in my house.
Then I strongly recommend that you get the electrical system in your house looked into, as that kind of thing is most certainly not normal at all.

I never said work outside warranty didnt exist but most people cant afford that or its a minor problem or they dont trust the manufacturer to repair it.
Most people?

Sorry but how exactly are you sure that most people fall into these categories?

And why would a consumer not trust the company that built an item to repair it? That last one flies in the face of known patterns of customer behaviour.

I never disagreed with that, What my point was is the fact PS3's are failing after warranty and there are people with PS3's that do nothing but gather dust.

You have told us we shouldnt believe any 'internet users' - why shouldnt I?

Why would thousands of people sign up to a forum just to lie about their broken PS3 which they cant get fixed unless they pay hundreds of pounds as its outside the warranty period?
I've never disagreed that PS3's will fail outside warranty (or inside warranty for that matter), that is not the point at all. Its if the amount failing (as a percentage of units sold) starts to exceed what is a generally agreed level of acceptable failure.

I'm also quite surprised that you are naive enough to think that people would not lie when posting on boards and forums.

Also what is the forum that has thousands of people who have posted about PS3 failures?

Its also not hundreds of pounds to get a PS3 fixed outside warranty, its £150, a fixed value and still less than a replacement machine. Either that or the Continuous Protection scheme costs a fiver a month.

I already explained in my previous post that people were not paying to get their expensive paperweight fixed as it costs too much money.

You keep banging on about these acceptable failure rates, yes they exist but they are not accurate.

Go on and show me a 2009 PS3 failure rate percentage.

And the only proof I have that there is an issue is that there seem to be thousands of people who have not acted upon their PS3 breaking and they are all talking about it and its mostly the Blu Ray disc drive failing.
Show me these thousands of people, and it would have to be in excess of 60,000 people in the UK alone to go over a 3% failure rate.

The most recent figures for PS3 failure rates are from 2008, and are from an independent warranty company (and as such I see no reason why they are not an accurate representation - certainly they are a damn site more accurate that your figures which have quite clearly been pulled out of the air). I have already provided a link to them, but here we go again.....

http://news.filefront.com/xbox-360-failure-rates-at-16-according-to-squaretrade/

....now you ask why no figures yet for 2009.

Well lets look at the two possibilities.

A - They haven't changed in any significant way and as such its not news worthy

B - Sony have somehow managed to muzzle all independent warranty and repair outlets to fake a low failure rate

Occam's Razor shows that option A is the far more likely of these two.

Just to give an example of just how accurate internet forum opinion can be I give you this.....

http://uk.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26433074

...look its a forum based poll that clearly shows that of the people who replied 14% of them had a problem with a Wii breaking. Holy hell that must mean that the Wii has a totally unacceptable failure rate and Nintendo must be covering it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now do you believe that the Wii is an inherently faulty machine, or is it simply more likely that people who have a problem are more likely to publicly complain about it than those who do not have a problem.

I only ask because that is exactly what you have done in regard to the PS3.

Try personal experience, fed up working on the damn things, almost every fault down to electric failures.

I've had two Clio's personally(both central locking systems failed, both was a complete sensor/reciever failure - then the latter had an immobiliser issue that i had to beg the car to start just to get me to work as it would be very random when it would fail - not to mention it was the Fuel injector check light that was showing and oxygen sensor when hooked up to a diagnostics machine. Leaking sunroofs, wheel bearings and CV boots galore.

Mum still has one (needed a brand new gearbox about two weeks from new, fingers crossed nothing else has went wrong).

More than one friend has had a Megane (constant window wiring loom failure, windows would either stay up or stay down and refused to work. (also happened to a collegue at work).
You don't need to talk to me about Renault and the issues they have had with them, I spent two years in dealership and then two years working in customer service with them (when you get to deal with all the problems the dealers can't/don't want to handle come out) I know exactly what can effect them. I also know that they are still far from the worst around.

The point behind it was that I have never had a problem with a single Renault I owned or drove, which quite clearly demonstrates how useless personal experience is in terms of looking at product and/or brand wide failure trends.

You stated:

Scaff
To believe that a device should never fail at all (which is exactly what you have just claimed) quite frankly shocks me, that is a totally unrealistic view to hold. Let me ask, are you 100% infallible in everything you do?

I took from that, that you expect everything you buy to fail 'at some point'. Theres nothing unclear about it actually. So if you believe everything will fail 'at some point' your assuming everything should fail 'at some point'.

This was my opinion on your statement.
You've just done it again!

"To believe that a device should never fail at all"

Is not the same as assuming

"everything should fail 'at some point'"

My post clearly states that items are capable of failure and you will never get 100% reliability in a mass produced item; anything mass produced will have a failure rate (hell even low batch number hand built items will not be 100% reliable - some will not work/fail).

You have then taken that and claimed that what I actually meant to say was that everything will fail.

Thanks but I know both what I said and exactly what I meant by it, I don't need you to assume for me.

Why dont I turn this around and ask you to show me proof that only 660,000 / 3% have failed?

I have yet to see any current figures.
Already shown you the most recent figures, but I guess you fall into category B and think that Sony are somehow stopping independent companies from reporting on this.

How do you think the RROD problem of the 360 got heard? Through people complaining about it. Other good thing about RROD (if you could call it that) is it almost nearly every time happened during the warranty period.
People were complaining about it on forums yes, but in addition to that retailers were also up in arms about it, warranty companies were also reporting it.

So it would seem that (based on your arguments here) that Sony are capable of silencing retailers and warranty companies, despite MS failing to do so.

Its also complete nonsense that 360's mainly failed inside warranty, the original one year warranty was extended for exactly this reason. The second two years of a 360 warranty cover only two things, RRoD and E74 failures, anything else and you are not covered at all.
If most failures were within the original 1 year warranty MS would not have estimated (and reported on end of year figures) that this 2 year extension would be costing them in excess of $1.5 billion.

I never said anyone could make up figures, is this you twisting my words now to suit your own perspective?
Lets take a look at my quoted piece for this....

Scaff
Every single one of your points is based on what individuals have said (and I know personally 10 people with PS3s and none of them has had a problem does that allow me to claim a failure rate of 0% - of course not) or what you believe may happen.

....OK I've read and re-read it and I didn't say that you made up figures either?

I actually never came on saying "the PS3 failure rate is above 3% oh my god we are all going to die!!!!!!!!!" What i said was that its clear that this is an ongoing and growing issue when you investigate it even just by reading about it. Figures from early 2008 are not going to do you any justice here.
How do you know its a growing issue?

From forum posts alone, by which token I can now argue that the Wii has a growing problem due to a 14% failure rate.

Figures for 2008 are the most recent available for any console and still represent hard data, something you have singularly failed to provide for any time period at all.

Ok so say Sony have sold 22,000,000 units and 660,000 have failed so that is a failure rate of 3% - when or if they sell 40,000,000 units 3% failure is 1,200,000. So even though the failure rate is still 3% its still a growing problem.
No its not, its still a 3% failure rate.

More units have failed yes, but more have also been produced, that doesn't not mean that failure rates have increased at all.

If a 3% failure rate is still 3% after you have produced almost twice the number of units then your failure rate has not increased at all. Your ratio of good to bad units remains exactly the same, the working units yield is the same.

No matter which way you look at it (unless you have no grasp of statistical analysis at all) failure rates have not grown in this example at all.

More machines have failed in this example, but more have also been produced. That does mean that potentially more people will be around to complain about it, what it doesn't mean is that the product in question is any more or less reliable. In fact its reliability have remained exactly the same as it always was in this example, which does not mean the problem is growing at all.

If Sony ceased production of the PS3 then the failure % would be allowed to rise.
Or they may fall or remain the same!

If the PS3 has a lifetime failure rate (so the number that fail within the expected lifespan of a product) then if you stop production that will not automatically rise.

Well you told me (and Robin.) not to listen to 'a bloke on a web-site posted' but in reality I am that bloke posting my complaint. So basicly no one should listen to me??
Once again that is not what I said at all.

I said that personal experience does not automatically match to country or worldwide trends, for exactly the same reason that me never having a problem with a Renault does not mean that they never go wrong.

At no point did I say that people should not listen to you (or Robyn) and I would like you to either quote me directly as having said that or stop with this behaviour.

I never said Honda's never had any issues ever but I believe them to be one of the worlds most reliable car manufacturers. I doubt you would ever see renault in that sort of category. And again personal experience influences my statement.
The link was to once again illustrate that anecdotal evidence from forums alone does not automatically mean its an accurate representation of the reliability of a product.

Ok fair point but no one even hinted Sony is lying, my point is that they dont know about all of everyones issues because there are alot of people who are refusing to even contact Sony about their PS3 as it costs almost £100 just for Sony to have a look at it. Their figures also do not compensate for people who may have a problem they do not know about.

So they cant lie if they dont know about it and in this situation with most PS3's failing after warranty period it leaves a big gap in the figures not everyone has the kind of money lying around to pay Sony to fix it or people refuse to pay it as they feel robbed.
Its does not cost almost £100 for Sony just to look at it, they charge a flat fee of £150 to fix a PS3, and it costs NOTHING AT ALL to phone them and ask (and these contact rates will be recorded at customer service centres).

This part however.........

Their figures also do not compensate for people who may have a problem they do not know about

....actually make no sense at all. Are you saying that to be accurate the figure should include those who have a machine that might fail but neither the owner nor Sony know about it?

Now I have to ask how do you know that most PS3's are failing outside the 1 year warranty period? have you done a direct study of the failure rates for both time periods? Or are you simply guessing at this?

While I acknowledge quite openly that figures for this are difficult to find and they are from 2008, your entire argument is based around anecdotal evidence posted on forums and assumptions you have made based on that (some of which are quite inaccurate).

What we do know is that PS3's do fail (no one would be daft enough to dispute that) and that the BR drive is one of the more common form of failure; however as it stands today no evidence at all exists that these failure are outside the industry accepted norms of 3% - 5%.

No third party warranty providers, nor retailers have released press statements saying they know of a problem, or that they even suspect a problem or that failure rates are increasing for any reason. The last such statement released, put fail rates for both the PS3 and Wii well within the normal range.

All we have countering this is forum posts of an indeterminate number claiming to have had a problem. Now I don't dispute that a good number of these people have 100% genuine issues, but I also think it would be ludicrous to not accept that some of these could be inaccurate (people who break an item through abuse will not always admit it), downright lies (lets be honest fan-boys are not exactly beneath this kind of thing) and the result of duplicate posts (I know of one person who posted complains about a PS3 issue on at least four different forums). Given all of this we do not know that these numbers are above a 'normal' failure rate for electronic items at all.

Scaff

Last edited:

All inaccuracies in the reporting that you discuss apply to all electronics devices. Possibly even more so as I rarely run into them offering to fix it for less than the cost of the product. For example I had a CCD go out on a digital camera. It was cheaper to buy a new camera than get it fixed.

Whether the actual data is 3% or higher, it still has all the same inaccuracies as all other electronic products, so claiming it is within industry standards is accurate.

To believe that only Sony can have these inaccuracies, and thus failure rates are not within the norm, means that you have to believe Sony are either purposely ignoring these inaccuracies (and thus lying) or that you believe Sony are too stupid to realize these inaccuracies exist.

Fact is, Sony is doing nothing different in reporting than the industry standard, and their failure rate falls within the industry standard. To attempt to argue it in any other way is being either uninformed or purposefully hard-headed.

Now, do we see more people complain about PS3s than say Toshiba laptops? Yes. Is there a global 100,000+ member strong Web site devoted in part to fans of Toshiba laptops, along with multitudes of "news" blogs all with thousands of commenting members? No.

However, I did find that Toshiba.com does have a forum on their own Web site, and so I went into just the laptop section and did a search for "Failed." Just searching for that one word, and not all the others that could also be used to describe it, presented me with 104 pages of posts dedicated to people discussing some form of laptop related failure.

Damn that's unlucky.

My launch day PS2 worked like a charm for the entire time I had it, I sold it shortly after getting my PS3.

Never had a single issue with it at all; now my original Playstation on the other hand, towards the end that needed to be turned upside down just to get it to work.

Regards

Scaff

I didn't have a launch PS2 - I got a GT3 launch PS2 - and that lasted until last October - when I sold it after getting a PS3 - I assume that it is still working...

My PS1 which was as old as about 2 months after GT1 came out never went wrong either - again until I sold it after getting my PS2.

My N64 lived for a similar life span too - and again was sold...

In fact - My megadrive (and mega CD (what a waste of money)) lasted until sale - my NES did the same - and my brothers SNES did the same...

Do I have Good Luck? If so - fingers crossed my PS3 does the same.

C.

All my games consoles including an original Game Boy, Advance and 2 Launch PS2's have never skipped a beat. I even have other electrical stuff such as audio units from 1979 which work flawlessly.

As for failure rates, MS for example would have NEVER extended the 360 warranty period to 5 years voluntarily from their own official failure figures, given half the chance they would have tried to sweep all this RROD stuff under the carpet.

Do you think Sony would have issued a recall for their laptop batteries if people hadnt complained publically about them exploding.... NO

Do you think Smart would have recalled their cars to fix the breaking rear windows if people hadnt complained publically... NO

etc etc etc... there are examples all over the place.

Like with the expenses scandal, lets say that 'officially' 3% of them are doing something wrong and then the Telegraph comes and shows that actually 60% of them are doing wrong. Your just going to pass the Telegraph off as 'hear say' and believe the official statment?

Bottom line is its the people on the street which tell the real story of how good products are. I dont care less what companies officially say because they will mostly try to cover stuff up to avoid a tabloid frenzy.

I dont see companies going "oh our official failure figures have exceeded X% therefore we need to now create public panic!"

I believe that the PS3 failure rates are now higher than the norm, no thats not from just 'some people' on the internet... it from all sorts of places including people in the real world, 3rd party sellers and repairers, even the guy on the phone at Sony suport admitted it was a major issue and one which many have been complaining about.

Robin.

All my games consoles including an original Game Boy, Advance and 2 Launch PS2's have never skipped a beat. I even have other electrical stuff such as audio units from 1979 which work flawlessly.
I also have an original Colecovision with Atari attachment and Commodore 64 that still works. Oh, and my PS3 has yet to have a single problem.

I can provide anecdotal evidence too.

Do you think Sony would have issued a recall for their laptop batteries if people hadnt complained publically about them exploding.... NO
Yes, it was a fire and safety hazard. Actually, I didn't hear about it until the recall.

Do you think Smart would have recalled their cars to fix the breaking rear windows if people hadnt complained publically... NO
Yes, it was a safety hazard.

Both these instances would have had a forced recall anyway.

Hang on, I have an example. VW had a recall on my car because the stereo firmware needed upgrading since the FM tuner wasn't properly synced and the bucket seat slide rails needed a new type of lubricant as it made it difficult to reposition the seat.

Like with the expenses scandal, lets say that 'officially' 3% of them are doing something wrong and then the Telegraph comes and shows that actually 60% of them are doing wrong. Your just going to pass the Telegraph off as 'hear say' and believe the official statment?
Except the Telegraph hasn't said that. So, what's your point? If they had and there was evidence to show they had a point, then I would not brush them off.

Bottom line is its the people on the street which tell the real story of how good products are. I dont care less what companies officially say because they will mostly try to cover stuff up to avoid a tabloid frenzy.
So, are you blatantly saying that Sony may be lying?

I dont see companies going "oh our official failure figures have exceeded X% therefore we need to now create public panic!"
Public panic? Over a possibly faulty blu-ray diode?

I believe that the PS3 failure rates are now higher than the norm, no thats not from just 'some people' on the internet... it from all sorts of places including people in the real world,
Cause those are huge differences.

3rd party sellers and repairers,
Unless they have made an official statement company-wide about failure rates, the way GameStop did for the RROD, you have no way of saying if it is anything more than just your local area had a single bad shipment.

even the guy on the phone at Sony support admitted it was a major issue and one which many have been complaining about.
3% of 24 million is 720,000 units. I am sure he hears a lot of complaints, even when it is well within the accepted tolerance of the industry.

As for failure rates, MS for example would have NEVER extended the 360 warranty period to 5 years voluntarily from their own official failure figures, given half the chance they would have tried to sweep all this RROD stuff under the carpet.
And my original Playstation would only work upside down for the last few years of its life, I had an N64 and a Gameboy (original) fail on my at less than two years.

We can all give example of thing that have/haven't broken, doesn't provide evidence of anything other than our own circumstances, and certainly doesn't prove or dis-prove a wider trend.

In regard to MS, the extended warranty on the 360 is two years (making a total of 3 years - the additional two years only cover RRoD and E74) not five years. The reason why they put it in place was simply to avoid a class action lawsuite they knew they would loose, mainly as engineers who had worked on the project has hinted they would testify to the design issues.

MS were forced into action by the combined weight of the public (and a lot more net activity that we are seeing right now in regard to the PS3), third party warranty companies, the gaming press and independent repairers.

Two rather poor examples to pick as both were government mandated recalls and manufacturers had to both declare and recall them.

However in regard to your wider point, I can categorically state that manufacturers (certainly in the automotive field) can and do carry out recalls without any public prompting.

As with many things this isn't a simple black or white issue, in certain situations a recall will come off the back of the public, if that is how its discovered. However in other cases it will come straight from the manufacturer.

Rather a different set of circumstances given that the Telegraph had access to the actual expense claims themselves from a mole within the civil service.

So that is not a very good comparison to the set of circumstances we are discussing here (unless you happen to know anyone with written failure rate figures sourced directly from a mole within Sony).

I don't disagree with the general tone of your point, however the public is not always 100% right and the number of complaints has to be taken into account with the volume of a product sold.

Someone over at the official US forums took a pole of the number of members with failed PS3's. Under 500 responded, now compare than not just to the number of PS3's sold in the US, but to the numbers of members the boards have.

The simple act of people complaining about a product does not automatically mean a problem exists, yet that exact leap of faith is what people are making.

I believe that the PS3 failure rates are now higher than the norm, no thats not from just 'some people' on the internet... it from all sorts of places including people in the real world, 3rd party sellers and repairers, even the guy on the phone at Sony suport admitted it was a major issue and one which many have been complaining about.

Robin.
You believe it, yet not one person who makes these claims can back it up with a press release showing increased failure rates.

If this was a concern for the retailers or third party warranty companies why are they not talking directly to the public about it?

After all they were only to happy to do so with MS and the 360?

Scaff

The reason I ask this is because I have heard about some of the 60gb consoles turining faulty and Sony refusing to replace them anymore, I am just asking advice beacuse I am going to do the Nurburgring 24hr endurance race on GT4, and dont want to risk damaging it by leaving b-spec to do all the driving ( I seriously cant be bothered racing that track for 24hrs for one reason - I hate the bloody track.)

:nervous: My bum hole is starting to pucker up a little, as my (second), launch 60GB PS3 is starting to crash randomly during games, and is starting to sound like R2-D2's half-brother making some strange beeping noises! :lol:

To be fair though, it has outlasted everyone else's I know of who brought their machine on day one, most others bit the dust about 6 months ago. I did have an 8 month sabbatical last year, so I could just of been putting off the inevitable, so we will have to wait and see. :indiff:

I'm also starting to see the wisdom in the fact that I brought an extended warranty, that still has 7 or 8 months left to run! 💡

There is definitely something wrong with the 60gb launch units though... :odd:

There is definitely something wrong with the 60gb launch units though... :odd:
i may be tempting fate, but fwiw to the wider debate, mines still chugging along nicely

i must say though, i bought it about 6 months after launch. if there's more than one edition
of the 60gb version and i have a later one, then my input isn't valid

it has all the card readers and 4 usb ports, if that helps id'ing it

i'd be pissed off it went fubar :ill:

Its also not hundreds of pounds to get a PS3 fixed outside warranty, its £150, a fixed value and still less than a replacement machine. Either that or the Continuous Protection scheme costs a fiver a month.

Ok.............A hundred & a half pounds!!!

ow, i think my ps3 has died... when i put it on its goes green- yellow - flashing red.

edit: @duke: sorry, heat of moment. -> typo's

Last edited:
Update:
Called sony last saturday and today again. Have to send it back (duh!) and will get a new ps3 in 2 weeks free of charge (even outside guaranty period, since 1,5 years is to short for a console life span). My ps2 survived my ps3 haha.

After all the bad stories about Sony customer service, was worried it would gonna cost 200 euros. But service & end result were extremely good!

For any of you guys that have failing PS3s, have you tried swapping out the HDD? That was the cause when my replacement model broke. I'm thinking that the hard drive can't take the heat so well.

I tried that continuous olay website as was suggested, here is the message that is now displayed on the website

Dear Continuous Players, we set up this service ultimately to provide a fast, efficient and cost effective way to ensure that your experience with PlayStation 3 & PSP was as seamless and hassle free as possible. Unfortunately, some individuals have chosen to abuse this service and as a consequence we feel that we have no option but to suspend Continuous Play and postpone acceptance of new Continuous Play plans until further notice. We will of course honour existing customer's policies and look to amend the existing provision so that it is less vulnerable to exploitation. Sincere apologies

PlayStation Team

it seems that no matter what the case is there is always some people out there that spoil it for everyone, looks like im gonna have to get saving up because my ps3 is beginning to show signs of fatigue, mailny when im quitting call of duty world at war, I get the " please wait " message after selecting quit game, then 3 beeps and the sodding thing resets itself, is anyone else noticing anything like this with the same game or a different one fot that matter?

I tried that continuous olay website as was suggested, here is the message that is now displayed on the website

Dear Continuous Players, we set up this service ultimately to provide a fast, efficient and cost effective way to ensure that your experience with PlayStation 3 & PSP was as seamless and hassle free as possible. Unfortunately, some individuals have chosen to abuse this service and as a consequence we feel that we have no option but to suspend Continuous Play and postpone acceptance of new Continuous Play plans until further notice. We will of course honour existing customer's policies and look to amend the existing provision so that it is less vulnerable to exploitation. Sincere apologies

PlayStation Team

it seems that no matter what the case is there is always some people out there that spoil it for everyone, looks like im gonna have to get saving up because my ps3 is beginning to show signs of fatigue, mailny when im quitting call of duty world at war, I get the " please wait " message after selecting quit game, then 3 beeps and the sodding thing resets itself, is anyone else noticing anything like this with the same game or a different one fot that matter?

Yes it seems Continuous Play has stopped accepting new customers, as people were signing up after their PS3s broke and getting a replacement for £5 and then cancelling. Until they can work out a way to stop this, they are not excepting any new customers. At least everyone who already has it are still covered.

While I am not sure on your problem, I would guess that you are trying to quit while the game is still accessing something, probably the internet. While I don't own call of duty world at war, I know if you quit NHL 09 while it is still accessing, it does exactly what you describe, so it is probably a similar problem.

my local game shop (which does repairs) has had a sudden influx of bad ps3 disc reader units--mostly on 60gb models. According to them they all either stop emitting light, or burn out the sensor that reads the reflected light.

There were six of them in for service last sunday, compared to only one 360. (though I've previously seen *many* 360's pass through) I think something's up--at least in this area--and it's somewhat sudden.

outside of myself, I only know one other ps3 user--his is a 60gb which hasn't died yet. His tends to sound a lot like a jet engine though. Apparently it's done that for quite a while.

of course every 360 owner I know (and there are quite a few more of them) are all at least on their second 360, with two on their 3rd. Just to drop in a perspective. I will also admit that my survey size isn't ideal for making worldwide trends *lol*

my 80 gig is doing great--but it's only a year old. I also tend to play downloadables a lot more than disc games on it.

yep add me to the 60gig launch unit faliure....just this second died, had it to bits, and looks like a power supply problem. Oh well, lasted about the same amount of time that I went through 3 360's LOL It's been "heavy" on the fans for a few months now so I knew something was up. When I striped it there was a goodly amount of dust in there and ultimatly I think thats whats killed it. Looking at the airflow system I'm really going to have too keep on top of the dust issue in future, far too many nooks and cranys for the dust to build up on very very quickly

Sad to hear that, mine also died am getting sent a voucher to but a new one as I had gamecare thankfully.

Have a search on youtube for YLOD fix, there is a method.

yep add me to the 60gig launch unit faliure....just this second died, had it to bits, and looks like a power supply problem. Oh well, lasted about the same amount of time that I went through 3 360's LOL It's been "heavy" on the fans for a few months now so I knew something was up. When I striped it there was a goodly amount of dust in there and ultimatly I think thats whats killed it. Looking at the airflow system I'm really going to have too keep on top of the dust issue in future, far too many nooks and cranys for the dust to build up on very very quickly

Sorry to hear that H, rather a coincidence as I've just (as in yesterday) got a replacement for my 60gig launch machine, which died last Thursday night.

I was fortunate enough to sign up for Continous Play before it got abused, so mine was replaced with little hassle.

Regards

Scaff

Just gone and grabed a 40Gb from game, swaped the HDD over and luckily I'd backed up everything to an external so just a bit of work to do LOL as for dusting and striping.....nope you'll need to re seat the CPU and GPU if you want to "really" get where the dust dose most harm, so not practical to do.
I looked at the YLOD fixes......I even followed the instructions whilst shaking my head all the way through.....and yep, didn't work LOL I spend my working life with my head stuck in CT scanners so the PS3 is fairly tame stuff and the "heat the board up" routine may work for a VERY SMALL amount of people but I'd put my fault at a power source issue, either on the board or in the power pack. But without any diagrams of the PS3 your never going to find it.

Sorry to hear that H, rather a coincidence as I've just (as in yesterday) got a replacement for my 60gig launch machine, which died last Thursday night.

I was fortunate enough to sign up for Continous Play before it got abused, so mine was replaced with little hassle.

Regards

Scaff

Oh how the irony

Guess your lucky to have had continuous play before they closed it down.

What failed?

* Awaits condescending reply *

Last edited:
Oh how the irony

Guess your lucky to have had continuous play before they closed it down.

What failed?

Irony? No, not at all.

If I had claimed that Sony products never failed, or that I had never had a single problem with a Sony product (neither of which I did); or if I had come on here and jumped right on the 'they all fail and we are dooooooooooomed' train of thought, then maybe it would be ironic.

Mine is still the only PS3 of the all the people I personally know that has failed, and does nothing to believe that failure rates are unacceptable, still quite a way to go before I'm convinced on that front.

I signed up for CP back when it was first released, for me its good piece of mind cover, much the same as the cover I have on my photographic equipment, AV kit, boiler, etc.

I regard to what failed, I just shut down and started blinking a red light at me, and then refused to start up again. In all honesty I'm more annoyed that its going to take 6 weeks to get my copy of COD4 that was stuck inside back to me.

Regards

Scaff

That last bit, is pretty poor customer service to be fair. Awful in fact. Sony should have an agreement with all PS3 developers which involves the developer sending you a new copy and Sony returning the stuck copy back to the developer.

Funnily I had COD4 stuck in mine as well.....conspiricy theorie bubbleing......anyhow I got it out myself, but to do so you'll void the warranty if it has any, so no option but to send it away and wait for it I supose

Back