PS4 Controller Settings

• Thread starter STALLIONO
  • 8 comments
This in mode three works for me. If your controller is newer, lower the steering deadzone. If it's older like mine, 20 should be perfect.
image.jpg

Try this controller set up, its quite smooth for me.

Before you change the below make sure you change the Controller mode to 2 (you'll find it at the very bottom)

steering deadzone: 5
Steering sensitivity: 5
Throttle Deadzone: 5
Throttle sensitivity: 30 (adjust this to your taste, if you find yourself being too hard on the throttle lower it)
Brake Deadzone: 5
Brake sensitivity: 15 (adjust this to your taste, of you find yourself braking too hard lower it)
(You dont need to mess around with the clutch settings)
Speed sensitivity: 60
Controller Filtering sensitivity: 10
Force Feedback: 100
Advanced: on
Soft steering Dampening: on
visual wheel filtering: off
Opposite lock help: off

Tried many different configurations & recommendations but found this to be great from karts to F1.

Mode 3
steering deadzone: 0
Steering sensitivity: 0
Throttle Deadzone: 0
Throttle sensitivity: 30
Brake Deadzone: 0
Brake sensitivity: 30
Speed sensitivity: 60
Controller Filtering sensitivity: 25
Advanced: OFF

I have been on a rollercoaster since 1.4 came out. I have been waiting for PCars to drop (as have the rest of you) for a while. I did expect some day one issues. But nothing as sad as the lack of control using a DS4.
The steering was enough to bring water to your eyes. Because everything else appeared so good. I looked at setups, and tried many. But no matter what prior to 1.4 I could not enjoy the game. Never mind the anger of not being able use a perfectly fine G27 and my PlaySeat rig that I saved for as a GT6 item.🤬

Anyway, Friday I was initially in heaven. The update dropped and the fix was in. When I fired up Project Cars, I could feel the difference. I was able to navigate my favorite tracks. And I joyously commented in the news forum.
But late Friday night I got up enough nerve to go on-line without the fear of wrecking other players because of the DS4 lack of control, I was not having the experience I expected. Everyone was faster, and I just could not stay on the track for any consistent amount of time. Worse yet, I felt the dreaded on center twinge again.:banghead: :odd:

After the event I started a day long dive into driving project cars. And what I found was I was doing more tuning of my controller than I was my cars. And it was not until today Sunday at about noon that I found the answer.
Would have been sooner by life (yard work hair cut cleaning) got in the way.:eek::rolleyes:

So, the problem I was having WAS my controller configuration. The steering sensitivity, Speed Sensitivity and Controller Filtering Sensitivity to be exact. The other settings in the configuration do matter. But none more than those named.
I did see where a member posted that the speed sensitivity and ctrl filter sensitivity were most important.
This was before update 1.4 came. And trust me (I have both PC and PS4 versions) nothing worked for me prior to 1.4.

Once you sort out the differences between these settings (and you will the first time you go 100 MPH and find you barley move when you turn your wheel) every car in the game is yours to command. Carts too.:P

Everyone has different reaction time and eye hand coordination. So one setting will not be a cure for everyone.
What I am posting (IMHO) will be a good starting point. All you have left to do is understand the settings, and drop a tune on your vehicle of choice. With this controller setting I can drive any car well without tuning it. Tuning is just that, fine tuning the car for your personal use.:cool:

These settings may have been posted by others. I am not trying to steal anyone's thunder.:nervous:
This is what my research yielded over most of this weekend. I hope it helps those who need help.
Make sure you set the controller input mode first. If not you'll scramble your settings.
GOOD LUCK MATES.:gtpflag:

Controller Input Mode: 3
Advanced: ON
Soft Steering Damping: ON
Visual Wheel Filtering: ON
Opposite Lock Help: OFF

Steering Deadzone: 5
Steering Sensitivity: 10
Throttle Deadzone: 10
Throttle Sensitivity: 10

Brake Deadzone: 10
Brake Sensitivity: 30
Clutch Deadzone: 10
Clutch Sensitivity: 45

Speed Sensitivity: 60
Controller Filtering Sensitivity: 70

RPM/Gear Display: Yes

My DS4 is vibrating constantly (and I do mean constantly) when I'm using the new tilt controls for steering. Anyone else have this problem? It's unplayable in that state unless I turn FFB down to 0 - or feel in the mood for a hand massage.

I tried switching back to normal thumb stick controls and vibration is back to normal (ie. primarily gentle feedback during gear changes and when going off track). Same cars and tracks.

I have been on a rollercoaster since 1.4 came out. I have been waiting for PCars to drop (as have the rest of you) for a while. I did expect some day one issues. But nothing as sad as the lack of control using a DS4.
The steering was enough to bring water to your eyes. Because everything else appeared so good. I looked at setups, and tried many. But no matter what prior to 1.4 I could not enjoy the game. Never mind the anger of not being able use a perfectly fine G27 and my PlaySeat rig that I saved for as a GT6 item.🤬

Anyway, Friday I was initially in heaven. The update dropped and the fix was in. When I fired up Project Cars, I could feel the difference. I was able to navigate my favorite tracks. And I joyously commented in the news forum.
But late Friday night I got up enough nerve to go on-line without the fear of wrecking other players because of the DS4 lack of control, I was not having the experience I expected. Everyone was faster, and I just could not stay on the track for any consistent amount of time. Worse yet, I felt the dreaded on center twinge again.:banghead: :odd:

After the event I started a day long dive into driving project cars. And what I found was I was doing more tuning of my controller than I was my cars. And it was not until today Sunday at about noon that I found the answer.
Would have been sooner by life (yard work hair cut cleaning) got in the way.:eek::rolleyes:

So, the problem I was having WAS my controller configuration. The steering sensitivity, Speed Sensitivity and Controller Filtering Sensitivity to be exact. The other settings in the configuration do matter. But none more than those named.
I did see where a member posted that the speed sensitivity and ctrl filter sensitivity were most important.
This was before update 1.4 came. And trust me (I have both PC and PS4 versions) nothing worked for me prior to 1.4.

Once you sort out the differences between these settings (and you will the first time you go 100 MPH and find you barley move when you turn your wheel) every car in the game is yours to command. Carts too.:P

Everyone has different reaction time and eye hand coordination. So one setting will not be a cure for everyone.
What I am posting (IMHO) will be a good starting point. All you have left to do is understand the settings, and drop a tune on your vehicle of choice. With this controller setting I can drive any car well without tuning it. Tuning is just that, fine tuning the car for your personal use.:cool:

These settings may have been posted by others. I am not trying to steal anyone's thunder.:nervous:
This is what my research yielded over most of this weekend. I hope it helps those who need help.
Make sure you set the controller input mode first. If not you'll scramble your settings.
GOOD LUCK MATES.:gtpflag:

Controller Input Mode: 3
Advanced: ON
Soft Steering Damping: ON
Visual Wheel Filtering: ON
Opposite Lock Help: OFF

Steering Deadzone: 5
Steering Sensitivity: 10
Throttle Deadzone: 10
Throttle Sensitivity: 10

Brake Deadzone: 10
Brake Sensitivity: 30
Clutch Deadzone: 10
Clutch Sensitivity: 45

Speed Sensitivity: 60
Controller Filtering Sensitivity: 70

RPM/Gear Display: Yes

Thank you. I normally use a wheel but use the DS4 controller when I'm only on for a quick burst. That's the best setup I've tried in the game so far. Tried RUF GT3 and the 125 karts.

Back