PS4 load times with SSD

• Thread starter ploopsy
  • 25 comments
Canada
Toronto
Is anyone running GT7 on a PS4 with an SSD installed? What are the load times like?
Im contemplating an SSD upgrade to better manage the load times but I want to get some idea of how much it could improve things.

Check this out

This review is questionable because its from 2016. I am seeing better results in more recent videos though and Im guessing its a matter of time before some youtuber decides to test GT7.

Last edited:
I upgraded to SSD about six months ago. I remember it being noticeably faster, but not earth shattering. I needed a larger drive anyway, so it made sense for me.

IGN did a test of the GT7 load speed between the PS5, PS4 Pro slotted with an SSD and base PS4 and the results were 4s, 19s and 38.9s respectively. Not sure how it would fare for the base PS4 since it has SATA II but you should still be able to shave some 10 or so seconds.

I had SATA ssd in my PS3 for GT and it was faster than the previous HDD.

So I would say on a ps4 it would definitely be earth it.

IGN did a test of the GT7 load speed between the PS5, PS4 Pro slotted with an SSD and base PS4 and the results were 4s, 19s and 38.9s respectively. Not sure how it would fare for the base PS4 since it has SATA II but you should still be able to shave some 10 or so seconds.

I wish they did a side by side of the PS4 pro with SSD and HDD. Im sure as more people get frustrated with the load times there will be some more videos comparing GT7 load times with different storage mediums.

This is on a standard PS4 with an SSD which is only really fast with longer sequential reads. Any randomness and it's barely half as fast as something more modern.

The same applies to the SSD used in the digital foundry video above, which is just slower in general.

I don't have a PS5, but I do have a spare Samsung 860 Evo I can try on a PS4 and PS4 Pro if I ever get around to buying GT7 :)

PS4 games are not optimized for ssd, so difference will be minimal compared to ps5, even running ps4 game on ps5 loading will be significantly slower in comparison to actual ps5 version of the game, i tested both horizon forbidden west and gt7, loadings of ps4 games are still there ever so slightly faster, where with ps5 versions its instant

I have not done a comparison for GT7, however load times for Skyrim are transformed for me. So fast that sometimes I don't get to read the first tip through to the end.

Setup = PS4 Pro with games installed on external SSD, original internal HDD still in place.

When I was still gaming on my PS4 (I have since bought a PS5), I noticed a huge difference in performance in some games when I bought an external SDD. I have a Samsung T5 ext SSD I bought for a little over $100. ....bought another since then. On the PS4, it load times were noticeably shorter in some games and even performance.

In DayZ where driving cars would normally result in stutters ang lag events that could last 10 seconds or more, with the ext SSD the worst I would encounter would be maybe a second delay (if that). ....so some of those games that were struggling with the PS4 hardware had shown improvement. I'd wager it would be the same for GT7.

The PS4's USB ports are 3.0 so the transfer speeds far exceed what my T5 was capable of. In fact, when I researched it at the time (IIRC) I found replacing the internal HDD simply wasn't worth it in regard to performance gains vs. an external SSD. It was better to keep the internal HDD for additional storage and add the external SSD.

Is anyone running GT7 on a PS4 with an SSD installed? What are the load times like?
Im contemplating an SSD upgrade to better manage the load times but I want to get some idea of how much it could improve things.
I have a base PS4 with a Crucial MX500 2TB Internal SSD. It takes 36.84 seconds to load GT7. No problems with stuttering during gameplay.

Last edited:
I installed an internal SSD in my PS4 and saw a huge difference in speed. the stock internal drive is a 5400 rpm drive, so it was outdated before the PS4 cam out. must be a case of penny pinching if I ever saw one.
just be sure to get a good internal SSD, as SSD's vary greatly in read/write speeds. also by changing the internal drive out, it speeds up your whole console, not just game loading.

GT7 load time is 37.7 seconds on my PS4 Pro with original internal HDD and games installed on an external 1TB SSD.

(This is with the GT video NOT automatically playing on startup)

I have a base PS4 with a Crucial MX500 2TB Internal SSD. It takes 36.84 seconds to load GT7. No problems with stuttering during gameplay.
Update: After the last update loading time is now 15 minutes 38 seconds.🤣🤣😂😂

Don't believe anyone that says there is no difference. I've had an ssd in my PS3 and would not game without one!

Watch this video and you will see load times are a big difference, near the beginning of the video it shows the difference between hdd vs ssd in ps4 pro vs nvme gen iv in ps5.

On average it seems a half decent SSD can save 20 seconds on loading times across the board.

It's obviously nowhere near as fast as the SSD and I/O interface in the PS5, which is also hardly the point.

The real comparison (as per the thread title) is to the standard mechanical drive in any PS4, where the difference would not only soon add up during extended play, but also allow for quicker access to dip in and out of.

Granted this applies moreso for the Pro (SATA 3 600Mb/s vs. SATA 2 300 Mb/s internal) or as others have stated with a USB3 external drive in general (500 Mb/s minimum).

A good 2.5" SSD will be in the 400 - 500 Mb/s range for continuous reads, four times faster than a very good HDD. However, random read speeds are only up to 0.5Mb/s on a HDD, versus 20 - 40 or so with an SSD - which is its real advantage, especially as a system drive.

So the lower peak bandwidth capability isn't always a problem when using SATA 2 and the SSD still delivers an improvement in general.

I might get a hold of my friend's ps 4 pro this weekend with gt7.My friend installed an 500 gb ssd disk instead of the 1 tb hdd original.Will it be faster or slower on e.g gt7 (not for just online) ?Or shall i get a hold on gt sport untill the gt7 issues are solved? Tip's and trick's are welcome.I just want to (mostley) run single player race's.

The replacement of the internal drive with an SSD certainly should make all games have faster loads and transitions.

If the reduced size of the drive is a problem, then using the original drive as an external drive for those games which are used less frequently, and/or games which are less demanding. (You can choose the storage location on a game-by-game basis, and you can move games between drives, although it’s a bit of a slow process).

That said, what I’ve done is to leave the original HDD in place, and move all my games to an external 1TB SSD. I’m more than happy with the speed.

I have a PS4 Pro with SSD and track load times are ~15 secs. I've asked someone with a HDD, and they said it's around ~30secs. That's a pretty decent improvement. I think with 30sec load times I would begin to get frustrated. Also, I've heard loading the different menus on HDD is slow, but on my SSD it's pretty quick to load the menus.

I clocked 32 seconds loading the game into the world map, no intro.

That's on a PS4 Pro using a 256 Gb Samsung 850 Evo as an external drive via USB3.

The only thing that noticeably impedes a sense of seamlessness during play is having to load the world map all the time. And that's really a UX design issue, as it's cumbersome getting around in GT7 no matter what.

Back