PS4 or PS5? Which Version Of GT7 Are You Buying?

• Thread starter Volksauto
  • 499 comments

PS4 or PS5 - Which Version Of GT7 Are You Planning to Buy?

• PlayStation 4

Votes: 190 26.2%
  • PlayStation 5

Votes: 199 27.4%
  • Both but NOT 25th Anniversary

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • 25th Anniversary (includes PS4 and PS5)

Votes: 294 40.6%
  • Neither

Votes: 25 3.4%

• Total voters
We're probably little more than a week away from them submitting the game for production, to delay it now would be incredibly unlikely. They'd have to discover some game destroying issue that can't be fixed in time because if it simply wasn't going to be ready generally they'd have known that a few weeks ago. They don't just get a week out and realise they're not gonna make it.

Of course who knows what state the pressed disc will be in, we all know how the industry works now with day 1 patches, but whatever it is they're planning to submit as the game, must be pretty much ready at this point.

Last edited:
I would doubt it at this point. GT Sport (which had an initial projected release of 15 November 2016, but the delay (to TBC 2017) was announced 30 August 2016, a good 2½ months before.

Now, that is pretty bad, but GT7 is now what, a month and 2 weeks away? I think they would have said it by now.

But they always have the excuse of the unprecedented worldwide pandemic for a very late delay announcement.

We're probably little more than a week away from them submitting the game for production, to delay it now would be incredibly unlikely. They'd have to discover some game destroying issue that can't be fixed in time because if it simply wasn't going to be ready generally they'd have known that a few weeks ago. They don't just get a week out and realise they're not gonna make it.

Of course who knows what state the pressed disc will be in, we all know how the industry works now with day 1 patches, but whatever it is they're planning to submit as the game, must be pretty much ready at this point.
I agree that we are so close to release you would think it should be good to go by now. I think I'll wait till we are a little closer to Valentine's Day the order the digital. I do think for those getting a disc version might not get one right away with current shipping issues. Digital obviously is no issue. Looking forward to it since I am so burnt out on Sport. I'm still hosting races each Wed night on Sport but switching to 7 as soon as it is released. Will be getting the PS4 version since I have not been able to buy a PS5. I refuse to pay more that MSRP so I might never get one at this rate. Thank you PD for releasing on PS4 too.

Update: 1/25 Glad I waited just a bit longer to pre-order. I got my invitation from SONY last night to purchase a PS5 direct from them today 1/25 so I did. Wanted the digital version but was not available so got the disc version. So now I can buy the PS5 version. Can't believe the timing worked out. Paid MSRP too.

Update: 1/27. Just received an email from SONY that my PS5 shipping date has been delayed despite them saying they we're shipping same day. Now I do not have a ship date. But they did take my $541 and change day one. I guess I'll have to wait.

Last edited:
Please help me to make my purchasing decision! Does anyone know if the ps4 and ps5 version can/will share save data back and forth? Online saves would suggest so, but I seem to remember reading otherwise. Ideally I'd like to use my wheel with my ps4 in one room and keep my ps5 with the fancy 4k tv in a different room for when I just fancy chilling on the sofa with a controller. That wouldn't be an option if you can only transfer save data from ps4 to ps5 and not vice versa.

The way it is becoming difficult to get things that have never been on back order before due to the pandemic nothing would surprise anymore me at this point.

I'm going to buy a ps4 and ps5 version that way if I buy a ps5 in the future I can play it there. You can use a flash drive to transfer ps4 data to a ps5, I found this out a couple days ago!

Does anyone know if the ps4 and ps5 version can/will share save data back and forth?
Almost certainly not. Every other PS5 game I've played that has a PS4 equivalent treats the two as completely independent titles.

I've never upgraded a PS4 game to PS5 though, so there might be the vaguest possibility that upgrading will transfer the savedata too, but only that one time. Others will know more about that.

If you're wanting to constantly shift between PS4 and PS5, then just get the PS4 version. The PS5 will play it and you'll be able to take your save file with you either on a flash drive or uploading to PS Plus and downloading again between the consoles. Though take great care with that, lest you overwrite a new save with an old one and break everything.

Almost certainly not. Every other PS5 game I've played that has a PS4 equivalent treats the two as completely independent titles.

I've never upgraded a PS4 game to PS5 though, so there might be the vaguest possibility that upgrading will transfer the savedata too, but only that one time. Others will know more about that.

If you're wanting to constantly shift between PS4 and PS5, then just get the PS4 version. The PS5 will play it and you'll be able to take your save file with you either on a flash drive or uploading to PS Plus and downloading again between the consoles. Though take great care with that, lest you overwrite a new save with an old one and break everything.
Which one should I get, I heard that both versions have different loading times, ps5 is faster whereas the ps4 is a little slower.

Which one should I get, I heard that both versions have different loading times, ps5 is faster whereas the ps4 is a little slower.
That's almost certainly true, because the entire point of the PS5's architecture is to minimise loading times.

I'm not sure why that factors into the decision though. Unless there's some highly peculiar circumstances, such as the one @greggypoos brings up, get the PS5 version if you have a PS5.

I was thinking that this will probably be the case. Thanks very much for the advice.

I will hope that players on PS4 and PS5 will be able to race together in online lobbies.

Isnt most of Sports sava data (Progression) online though?
Im fairly sure personal settings are saved on ya own console but i honestly believe save data will work between them.

If it had a more traditional save style, id agree.

Last edited:
Im fairly sure personal settings are saved on ya own console but i honestly believe save data will work between them.

I transitioned from one PS4 to another and all my progress was there, but once i went back to my old PS4 my new progress wasn't there and i lost all my progression so i'm not sure online saves are 100% reliable.

If it's an online only save and it doesn't work between consoles then that would be a joke. A bad one. That's one of the few advantages of an online/cloud save.

I recently upgraded wreckfest from the ps4 to ps5 version and my progress was carried over. No idea if it works going back the other way though.

GT Sport progression also followed to ps5 from 4, but it's still a ps4 game, so not really the same thing.

So this question probably has been asked a few times before, but when you buy the PS5 25th anniversary version, you get a digital voucher for the PS4 version. Is it possible to sell the disc version (without the voucher), install the PS4 version and then upgrade to the PS5 version for 10 euros?

This would mean I could play GT7 very cheap but there must be something more to it?

So this question probably has been asked a few times before, but when you buy the PS5 25th anniversary version, you get a digital voucher for the PS4 version. Is it possible to sell the disc version (without the voucher), install the PS4 version and then upgrade to the PS5 version for 10 euros?

This would mean I could play GT7 very cheap but there must be something more to it?
You still need the disc to play. I have the Directors Cut of Ghost of Tsushima on PS5 but originally bought it on PS4 (Standard edition), I still need the PS4 disc to play the PS5 download.

You still need the disc to play. I have the Directors Cut of Ghost of Tsushima on PS5 but originally bought it on PS4 (Standard edition), I still need the PS4 disc to play the PS5 download.

Do you? It says you get a separate voucher. That means a separate game I assume?

I also have some PS4 games (Valhalla) which I play as PS5 version on PS5 with disc, but that's a free upgrade of the existing version.. Not a separate download.

Last edited:
I can't see how you would need the PS5 disc, given that it's a PS4 version of the game that you are supposed to be able to play on a PS4. If you do that, how can it ask for the PS5 disc? It surely won't recognise it.

Do you? It says you get a separate voucher. That means a separate game I assume?

I also have some PS4 games (Valhalla) which I play as PS5 version on PS5 with disc, but that's a free upgrade of the existing version.. Not a separate download.
In that case I really don’t know. As you say it comes with a PS4 DL code so its not clear how they will activate it. Unless it’s tied to your PSN in some way.

@Samus, after giving it more thought you’re spot on. It won’t be able to recognise the PS5 disc and I’m sure they wouldn’t go to the expense of dual authorising the disc to be recognisable?

I’m sure they have found some way of stopping the sale of the disc version and just allowing the code and then the upgrade purchase. Then again, stranger things have happened.

I'd assume there will be some sort of mechanism checking how you acquired the PS4 version of the game (bought or via code) and then decide if you're eligible for the 10€ PS5 transfer

Then again, you can install the PS5 version to prove you acquired the 25th edition. Then install the PS4 voucher version.. And you can sell the 25th version on disc and upgrade the PS4 version since your eligible.

I wont do it because PD can have my money for a great game, but still I was wondering...

Then again, you can install the PS5 version to prove you acquired the 25th edition. Then install the PS4 voucher version.. And you can sell the 25th version on disc and upgrade the PS4 version since your eligible.

I wont do it because PD can have my money for a great game, but still I was wondering...

People have had their entire account banned for doing things like sharing their Playstation Plus collection games with another account. I wouldn't recommend playing with fire.

Last edited:
Hello, good deal for french GTPlanet members , the french supermarket "Auchan" has attractive prices on GT7. I bought the PS4 version for 45€ (55€ - 10€ with code "BIENVENUE"). The tip has been shared on FB "Gran Turismo 7 France", note that the PS5 version price seems attractive too (62€, so 52€ with the discount code I guess) : https://www.auchan.fr/sony-gran-turismo-7-ps5/pr-C1316035

mB81JPDl.png

Hope it might help some people here to save some cash :) (I looked and the delivery is only possible in France + Monaco, sorry if this message does not concern a lot of users).

Regards

I can't decide between GT7 standard on PS5 and the digital deluxe edition. Do we know if there are Audi avatars in the deluxe version and how will the soundtrack be usable? Can I play Borderlands while listening to the GT soundtrack? Is the GT soundtrack in digital form even needed or will services like Spotify have all those songs? Any previous game experiences in regards to my last question?

Some are suggesting that “faster load times” would justify the switch from PS4 to PS5.

Frankly, I can’t see it unless GT7 turns out to be way “heavier” than GTS.

The GTS startup load time on my PS4 Pro is quite acceptable to me at 35 seconds. Loading 20 different cars and the long version of the Nordschliefe is only taking 30 seconds.

Okay, so I’m cheating a bit by putting my games on an external 1TB SSD. In my case, the SSD is “free” because I had to replace it with a larger one on my old MacBook Pro, so it’s simply been repurposed from Mac to PlayStation.
After using Xbox Series X and PS5 for many months my perception simply changed. 30 seconds feel very long now, given a lot of games got 1-15 seconds load times. In a racing game with 5-10 minute races waiting 30 seconds or more each time is annoying nowadays.

The biggest justification is the fan sound of my PS4 Pro. I can't stand it anymore and cleaning didn't help a lot either. My PS5 is very silent and I will be able to enjoy the roaring engines.

Last edited:
Back