PS4 or PS5? Which Version Of GT7 Are You Buying?

• Thread starter Volksauto
  • 499 comments

PS4 or PS5 - Which Version Of GT7 Are You Planning to Buy?

• PlayStation 4

Votes: 190 26.2%
  • PlayStation 5

Votes: 199 27.4%
  • Both but NOT 25th Anniversary

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • 25th Anniversary (includes PS4 and PS5)

Votes: 294 40.6%
  • Neither

Votes: 25 3.4%

• Total voters
Almost certainly not. Every other PS5 game I've played that has a PS4 equivalent treats the two as completely independent titles.

I've never upgraded a PS4 game to PS5 though, so there might be the vaguest possibility that upgrading will transfer the savedata too, but only that one time. Others will know more about that.

If you're wanting to constantly shift between PS4 and PS5, then just get the PS4 version. The PS5 will play it and you'll be able to take your save file with you either on a flash drive or uploading to PS Plus and downloading again between the consoles. Though take great care with that, lest you overwrite a new save with an old one and break everything.

• AC Valhalla
  • Hitman
  • Spider Man
  • Uncharted Thieves Collection

All these games have the ability to transfer save data? So that's not a 'almost certainly not'.

At this moment I'm still not really excited about GT7 (lack of normal, affordable cars) so I'm thinking of buying it second hand for PS4 after a few weeks. And if I like it and when I finally get my hands on a PS5 I will probably buy a new copy with my PS5.

All these games have the ability to transfer save data?
Define "transfer". Does that mean once, from PS4 to PS5 upgrade, or repeatedly between the two different PS4 and PS5 versions?

Define "transfer". Does that mean once, from PS4 to PS5 upgrade, or repeatedly between the two different PS4 and PS5 versions?

It means I can boot up Valhalla either PS4 or PS5 version with the same save yes. Repeatedly. It shares the same save :)

Last edited:
It means I can boot up Valhalla either PS4 or PS5 version with the same save yes. Repeatedly. It shares the same save :)
Valhalla is the exception not the rule. If you play a game on PS5 and want to keep playing on PS4 with the same save afterwards you are out of luck, because saves can only be transferred in one direction in almost all cases.

Last edited:
Valhalla is the exception not the rule. If you play a game on PS5 and want to keep playing on PS4 with the same save afterwards you are out of luck, because saves can only be transferred in one direction in almost all cases.

It's an exception because it uses cloud saves. So does GT 7.

Far Cry 6
Genshin Impact
FF7 Remake
Ghost of Tsushima

Less and less exceptions (the ones I know), why wouldn't GT7 also be an exception?
Tbf I know more PS5 games with cross save functionality than without.

Last edited:
Far Cry 6
Genshin Impact
FF7 Remake
Ghost of Tsushima

Less and less exceptions (the ones I know), why wouldn't GT7 also be an exception?
Tbf I know more PS5 games with cross save functionality than without.

I never said GT7 couldn't be an exception. The save being online helps. GoT is able to important a PS5 save into the PS4 version?

I never said GT7 couldn't be an exception. The save being online helps. GoT is able to important a PS5 save into the PS4 version?

Yes they even made a cross save function ingame!

Don't forget, most games were released before the PS5. Ghost of Tsushima was originally launched on PS4 and only got a PS5 version year later... That led to some issues.
GT7 will release directly on both consoles which makes me hope cross save is there from day 1.

Last edited:
Yes they even made a cross save function ingame!
I have a feeling there could be a misunderstanding. I know GoT got PS4 save import in the PS5 version. My question was can a user play until the end with the PS5 version and then import the PS5 save into the PS4 version to continue?

Update: I own the PS4 version and there is no import PS5 save option available. Players can transfer their progress from PS4 to PS5. Transferring the progress from PS5 to PS4 isn't available.

Last edited:
But yeah cross save on PS is a mess and very unclear process. So hopefully GT7 will be better (however I sold my PS4 so couldn't bother).

Well, by virtue of being a loyal customer and having a high enough rank (yes, this particular shop has an XP and level system) I was offered on their Discord the opportunity to purchase a PS5 which I did (recommended retail price of course). I hadn’t planned on getting one now but since this happened and I was always going to get one later eventually I thought, why not? A potential pro version is still years away most likely.

25th anniversary PS5 disc ordered since quite some time but my idea was that I would start off with the digital PS4 version included and move on the PS5 later on when I could walk in and buy one off the shelf. Now what? Of course the PS5 version will be superior but the completionist in me will want to finish both. And going in the PS5 to PS4 direction seems stupid. But in a way so does the other way around given that I’m now in possession of a PS5. :lol:

25th anniversary on PS4, hopefully PS5s will have been restocked by then because i'm not paying $900 for a second-hand one unless there's a major difference between the PS4 and PS5 versions.
So I ended up biting the bullet and ordered a PS5 Digital edition for $650, i'm still gonna pre-order the 25th anniversary edition when it gets here but I will be selling my PS4 to re-coup some of the costs back.

Im wondering if the games saves are interchangeable. Can I play either the PS4 version or the PS5 version and still use the same game save? If so, buying the combo will allow me a back up on my PS4 should the PS5 take a dump on me. I host weekly races and if the PS5 were to break then I would have my PS4 version to fall back on. Finding another PS5 might still be hard to do for awhile yet. I have not read anything about the games saves but it would be nice if you could and certainly worth 20.00 more to have the PS4 backup.

Last edited:
Im wondering if the games saves are interchangeable. Can I play either the PS4 version or the PS5 version and still use the same game save? If so, buying the combo will allow me a back up on my PS4 should the PS5 take a dump on me. I host weekly races and if the PS5 were to break then I would have my PS4 version to fall back on. Finding another PS5 might still be hard to do for awhile yet. I have not read anything about the games saves but it would be nice if you could and certainly worth 20.00 more to have the PS4 backup.
We just got a PS5 and I ran GT Sport on both the PS4 and 5 to see the menu speed differences and can confirm when you play GT Sport on either machine the cloud save works on both. 👍

PS4 Pro for the first few months of the game's life. I'm betting on there being a resolution hit compared to GTS (1440p instead of 1800p perhaps, to save some GPU power for time/weather changes), plus obvious things like reduced draw distances, worse load times, and missing out on things like the DualSense/3D audio features.

Aside from that, I'm sure both PS4 version of the game will be perfectly serviceable stop-gaps until more of us get PS5s.

Well, the PS5 standard edition comes with the PS4 copy as well also I guess the answer for me is both. I own a PS5 and gave my PS4 to my son. I'll likely install it on both.

Back