PS4 Physics, Updates and Special EventsPS4 

• Thread starter TT92
  • 344 comments
More so the LH front but the LH rear still cops it too. To be honest I only did 2 whole laps and and about 5 goes to the first sector at Barcelona. Too many other goodies to play with :D

HavanaB0B hits the first sector timer at 31.3 secs. I know by then how my lap is going (usually badly) :rolleyes: My good times are usually 31.8-31.9 (best is 31.6). At this point both left tyres are usually glowing cherry red as the big right hander just screws them up.

Reading that I'm now pretty sure my previous advice is good... for me, I didn't cook the left front tyre on the MP12 too badly, but I could fry the rear left by the end of T1... so you're almost certainly pushing the front too hard in T1!

I found the best line through the long right is to enter and stay tight to the kerb on partial throttle with as little lock as you can manage... then you need to find a visual marker where you can pick up full throttle without needing to apply any more steering angle. Took me a good while to figure this corner out - but trying to hit the throttle earlier and earlier does not give a faster sector, only creates understeer and cooks the tyres.

I found the best line through the long right is to enter and stay tight to the kerb on partial throttle with as little lock as you can manage... then you need to find a visual marker where you can pick up full throttle without needing to apply any more steering angle. Took me a good while to figure this corner out - but trying to hit the throttle earlier and earlier does not give a faster sector, only creates understeer and cooks the tyres.

Exactly. It's tempting to get back on the throttle early in that corner but if you do you're hosed. On the PC version (presume it's the same on consoles) there are some bundles of orange tires along the far armco and I wait until one of those comes to about the center of my screen before getting back on the throttle.

If someone can let me know approximately what the track conditions are I'll give it a try and report back what the ideal pressures are on PC. Surprising that one of the rears would go red with ideal pressures, something must be screwy there as I never have an issue with tires getting overheated unless I'm seriously over-driving the car. Also be aware that my ideal pressures usually result in a different value for each tire, so I may have 17psi front right, 18 front left, 20 rear right, 22 rear left, and obviously this will change slightly from one track to another depending on how many right or left turns it has.

I only go by what Sidekick says now, I go do a few laps it will show how many PSI you need to add or subtract to get in the ideal range. Once I get them dialed in it's smooth sailing from there. Of course you need to take the weight of fuel into consideration too, if you set your pressures on low fuel and then fill up the tank for the race you'll probably find that your pressures eventually creep too high.

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/sidekick.123608/

I've only been paying attention to the pressures since I started using the app a few months ago but it's made an absolute world of difference. I've not done any serious testing to compare how the pressures affect temps and vice versa, but from my experience so far once you get the pressures right the temps will work themselves out (for the most part).

Well, I don't think I've ever driven on a track anywhere near this hot so the results were very different from my normal experience. My left rear did get hot and up to 100°, that's not something I normally see. But it didn't seem to really bother the handling, the high temps made my FFB a lot lighter though. The longest run I did was about 7 laps, I could see it becoming a problem in longer races.

Here's what the ideal starting pressures were for me.

IMG_5470.JPG

This is what they looked like after four flying laps, they pretty much leveled off from here. Need to go down another PSI on the left rear but it's already at the minimum. Could maybe go down one on the left from and right rear.

IMG_5469.JPG

Here's a video of the lap. Default setup other than tires, factory aids, default fuel, 36° ambient, 49° track, 13:00, clear, optimum grip. No idea if this is a good time, could probably get down in the 50's with more practice and less fuel.

As mentioned before, the need 991 RSR has a messed up right rear camber. It's default 0 and can't be setup to be equal to left rear. It's also not as stellar to drive as the PC people made it seem. I mean, it's nice, but it doesn't feel much faster than the other GTE/GT2/GT3 cars in the game. I'll give it a few more go's in the next couple of days. By the way, which is the fastest track condition, fast or optimal?

Here's a video of the lap. Default setup other than tires, factory aids, default fuel, 36° ambient, 49° track, 13:00, clear, optimum grip. No idea if this is a good time, could probably get down in the 50's with more practice and less fuel.

Thanks for the help and the video. A sub 1:52 is the Bronze time and you need to do a sub 1:48 to get the Gold. It is easy to "coast around" :boggled: in the 1:52s but once I start to push hard I can't get passed the 1:50s because I just fry the tyres.

I am in awe of Havanna's, Stotty's and WhoosierGirl's abilty to beat these challenges. They are genuinely good drivers :bowdown:

As I said I will have to leave this now for a couple of weeks while I am away. Cheers.

Thank you both, Stotty & BrandonW77, for providing more testimony that there is no magic tire pressure number. I've had people ask me that because they heard from someone that Kunos named a parameter PRESSURE_IDEAL and now all of a sudden think they know what they're talking about. Mind you, these people also never played the game, so take that for what it's worth. :rolleyes:

I think you're totally right about the cars feeling more well planted with the v10 tire & inertia upgrades. I'm not saying I'm any faster than I was, however, I am losing control a lot less than before. I'm feeling the tires better and when I take the time to listen to what they're telling me, I'm taking better care of them too.

I can't remember if this came in the update you guys just got yesterday, or if it's just coming to PC today. I think we all have this now -- Aristotelis & Stefano, in their never ending quest for the perfect sim racing tires (for the AC engine), tire graining and blistering has changed a little bit. If I'm remembering this correctly, you can get the tires back into better condition (the graining goes away) quicker than before as long as you take care to go a little easier on the tires for a lap or so.

Now, I don't mean "go easy" as in go half throttle or anything ridiculous like that...but making sure your turns are as smooth as possible and trying to eliminate as much lateral slip as possible, maybe even for just half a lap... That should go a long way into making sure your tires last those 5 more laps, or whatever.

Tires are very, very complex. I really hope GTSport has put a lot of work into their tires. It can make all the difference in the world.

I think you're totally right about the cars feeling more well planted with the v10 tire & inertia upgrades. [...] I am losing control a lot less than before. I'm feeling the tires better...
Yes, the "connected to road" feeling is better than ever I think, especially when the tires are in their comfort zone.

Well, I don't think I've ever driven on a track anywhere near this hot so the results were very different from my normal experience. My left rear did get hot and up to 100°, that's not something I normally see. But it didn't seem to really bother the handling, the high temps made my FFB a lot lighter though. The longest run I did was about 7 laps, I could see it becoming a problem in longer races.

Here's what the ideal starting pressures were for me.

View attachment 647806

This is what they looked like after four flying laps, they pretty much leveled off from here. Need to go down another PSI on the left rear but it's already at the minimum. Could maybe go down one on the left from and right rear.

View attachment 647807

Interesting!

Your left rear is bright red, yet you would like to reduce the pressure further? Doesn't reducing pressure increases temperature on the PC version? (it does on the PS4).

I don't remember my setting exactly, but I think I have to be at 20ish psi in the left rear to stop the over heating... at 15psi, I wouldn't be able to get through half the lap, never mind run a 4 lap stint. Even at 20ish, the car won't do 2 flat out laps on the PS4 (or at least it would prior to yesterdays update).

Are PS4 and PC physics that different?

Thanks for the help and the video. A sub 1:52 is the Bronze time and you need to do a sub 1:48 to get the Gold. It is easy to "coast around" :boggled: in the 1:52s but once I start to push hard I can't get passed the 1:50s because I just fry the tyres.

I am in awe of Havanna's, Stotty's and WhoosierGirl's abilty to beat these challenges. They are genuinely good drivers :bowdown:

As I said I will have to leave this now for a couple of weeks while I am away. Cheers.

Eek. I could get down to the 1:50's but doubt I could get under 1:48.

Interesting!

Your left rear is bright red, yet you would like to reduce the pressure further? Doesn't reducing pressure increases temperature on the PC version? (it does on the PS4).

I don't remember my setting exactly, but I think I have to be at 20ish psi in the left rear to stop the over heating... at 15psi, I wouldn't be able to get through half the lap, never mind run a 4 lap stint. Even at 20ish, the car won't do 2 flat out laps on the PS4 (or at least it would prior to yesterdays update).

Are PS4 and PC physics that different?

I just go by what Sidekick says and you can see in the photo it says both rears need to go down by about 1 psi. I've never really paid attention to how pressures affect temps, though obviously a softer tire will raise temps quicker than a stiffer tire. I didn't have any problem driving the car with the left rear that hot though, but those track conditions definitely made it a different experience than I'm used to.

Gold is 1:48.999 or quicker.

I'm sure with sensible track temperatures I could get to that but with the roasting hot asphalt I'm not sure. I know I had a mid 51 going at one point, shaving nearly two seconds off that seems out of reach though, at least with the default setup. I guess it's a good thing I don't bother with trophies or challenges! :lol:

So either the PC physics are different (which we have been assured they are not) or the time has never been revised. Perhaps a third option, Kunos believes PC players can't be as fast as PS4 users :D:D:D

Please read option 3 with the humorous intent I meant it in :lol:
Option 3 obviously ;):lol:

Does Anyone know if Kunos is planning to include button mapping for Assetto Corsa:confused:, Right now you have to use the G29 configuration to be able to ("Look Left, Look Right, and Look behind You"):banghead: I understand them including KERS and DRS,

but to not be able to look to check blind sports before changing track positions is unheard of in Sim Racing, and if Kunos is going to be RIGHT by console racers they have to include button mapping options due to the lack of buttons on consoles D-PADs and Racing wheels.:boggled:

I hope Kunos is working on this and if not, Please Like to bring more attention to this Issue.

Kunos could try using a combination of buttons simultaneously with the Direction button for functions like " Brake Bias and ABS Settings" Just to free up button we will need on the fly.
button mapping.png

Wiz
I checked last night and Gold on PC is a 1:52

That makes me feel better about my time. :D

Does Anyone know if Kunos is planning to include button mapping for Assetto Corsa:confused:, Right now you have to use the G29 configuration to be able to ("Look Left, Look Right, and Look behind You"):banghead: I understand them including KERS and DRS,

but to not be able to look to check blind sports before changing track positions is unheard of in Sim Racing, and if Kunos is going to be RIGHT by console racers they have to include button mapping options due to the lack of buttons on consoles D-PADs and Racing wheels.:boggled:

I hope Kunos is working on this and if not, Please Like to bring more attention to this Issue.

Kunos could try using a combination of buttons simultaneously with the Direction button for functions like " Brake Bias and ABS Settings" Just to free up button we will need on the fly.
View attachment 648070

Yes, supposed to be in the next update.

So either the PC physics are different (which we have been assured they are not) or the time has never been revised. Perhaps a third option, Kunos believes PC players can't be as fast as PS4 users :D:D:D

Please read option 3 with the humorous intent I meant it in :lol:
Pretty sure I read somewhere that 99% of pc players were in the 1:48's or lower so they didn't bother to change it since almost everyone beat it already anyway:lol:

/jk

Anyone who had trouble getting gold in some hot lap special events should try the game after 1.15.
I struggled with 'A ring to rule them all!' and now on the second try it's done. Dunno what changed if time limits or physics.

Anyone who had trouble getting gold in some hot lap special events should try the game after 1.15.
I struggled with 'A ring to rule them all!' and now on the second try it's done. Dunno what changed if time limits or physics.

Yes i had noticed this also,some seemed a bit easier to get but some are still way beyond me.I use the DS4 and even using that felt somewhat better.

I'd noticed changed times on 'Under Nine', although I'm still finding it a challenge to get silver!

The times for the 'Under Nine' special event have changed - was that in this update, because of the live axle fix?
Used to be 9:13, 9:20, 9:28, now it's 9:16, 9:26, 9:40. Quite a difference.

Both have changed. Time limits on some events have been relaxed and the cars generally drive better and don't overheat their tyres as easy.

I had 6 events to do to get my Platinum and I was really struggling. Since update 1.15 3 events I got first up, first lap out, 2 more took a little work and now I only have 1 to do. (SLS GT3 at Zandvoort 0.200s off)

Back