PS4 Requires PS+ for online play. Thoughts?

• Thread starter Ameer67
  • 94 comments
Will still be cheaper than XBL I dare say.
What how? Xboxlive can be purchased for about $34.00 a year if you look for sales. That's only about $2.80 a month for live.
In fact there was a sale again last week for xboxlive for about $35.00. Even right now you can go to ebay and get it for a little over $35.00-$40.00. The family plan actually allowed people to get xboxlive for $25.00 a year. $2.00 a month. If anyone is paying more than $35.00 a year for gold then they are doing it wrong.

PS+ can be bought at half price if you look for sales too.
Exactly so for people to say one is way more expensive than the other is just silly.
Not that it matters. Its impossible to have a reasonable discussion about ANY of this stuff lately. I don't even reply in the PS4 or X1 threads. Just a disaster.

PS Plus is cheaper than XBL and offers more for your money. The IGC alone is worth paying for PS Plus, you get 5 new games every month plus 10 that are rotated once a year. Thats 70 games per year, for free. XBL does offer this service, albeit only until November. Plus we also get Driveclub for free on launch, which surprised me. XBL (IMO) is $59.99 a year for online gaming and Internet Explorer which should've been free. However MS decided it would be a great idea to make us pay for it. Whats next I wonder, an XBL membership to actually play my games?

Don't give them any ideas now! :scared:

They were halfway there before they did a U-turn on their DRM policies e.g having to pay full-price rather than seeking a pre-owned copy of a game or borrowing a mates.

Anyway, back to PS Plus. I have just bought a 3 month subscription and I feel i have got my money's worth already (payed £11.99) as I got BF3, Saints Row 3 and LBP Karting in my first month. NFS Most Wanted is also free next month:tup:.
So yeah, PS plus is a fee I don't mind paying for the PS4 because of the benefits.

Let's say PS+ came with the same features Xbox Live Gold has. None of the free games and stuff every month. Would you still buy it?

And yes, PS+ is a good deal.

What how? Xboxlive can be purchased for about $34.00 a year if you look for sales. That's only about $2.80 a month for live.
In fact there was a sale again last week for xboxlive for about $35.00. Even right now you can go to ebay and get it for a little over $35.00-$40.00. The family plan actually allowed people to get xboxlive for $25.00 a year. $2.00 a month. If anyone is paying more than $35.00 a year for gold then they are doing it wrong.

Ok so how is that relevant to PS4-xbox one discussion? Yes you can get live for the 360 for $34 bucks. Nothing says Xbox One will be the same price. In fact being Microsoft you can bet you life it won't be.

Let's say PS+ came with the same features Xbox Live Gold has. None of the free games and stuff every month. Would you still buy it?

I'd be less willing to purchase it, but I game online quite a bit so I would still buy it at some point.

P.S do you still get game patches/updates if you don't have XBL?

And yes, PS+ is a good deal.

I can't imagine a single feature Xbox Live has that is meaningful to me as a gamer. I do not live online to care to pay for it.

I do have PS+ now as its a better deal for "gamers" and not just online junkies. XBLive offers me absolutely nothing. I can afford Live, I just don't need it or want what it offers "me".

PS+ is a service of Perks, it's not just a pay wall or one single feature.
PS3 will still be free, if it means that much to anyone keep playing that for free.

Most PS4 online games will be on PS3 for free

Battlefield 4
Call of Duty 10
Madden
Fifa
Watchdogs
The Crew
Need For Speed Rivals
NBA2K15
MLB the Show
Destiny
And more

The service is well worth it for what it is without online play and that is why I have it and I love it. It works across all Sony Systems. XBlive is just an online play gateway or a Pay wall to do anything with the system beside buy things.

As they are now Xbox Live and Playstation Plus are different services. XBL is a subscription service offerings you online gaming and other services, PS+ is an ongoing game rental service. Obviously that will change with PS4 and then it might make sense to compare what the two offer directly.

I play online every 3 to 4 months mostly to play with my brother or a friend. Unfortunately I can't get PS+ for that little amount of online gaming. :(

This has been really bad news to me. I really hope they implement some sort of really basic online gameplay for people in this situation. If I get a PS4 my decision will be based on its media center capabilities rather than gaming features.

As they are now Xbox Live and Playstation Plus are different services. XBL is a subscription service offerings you online gaming and other services, PS+ is an ongoing game rental service. Obviously that will change with PS4 and then it might make sense to compare what the two offer directly.

It isn't. It's probably the most touted feature but PS+ isn't a rental service.

When you rent a game you get choose what you want to rent. I wouldn't call a company choosing what you can play a rental service. And not worth paying $50/yr to not know what you can even play. I know its semantics but I'm sesnsitve word usage :sly:

Coxis: PS3 isn't going anywere. You'll be able to play that for a few more years and down ports will stll happen.

Bad move Sony. I think I'll stay with the PS3 even longer.... I'm not going to pay for online gaming...

It isn't. It's probably the most touted feature but PS+ isn't a rental service.

When you rent a game you get choose what you want to rent. I wouldn't call a company choosing what you can play a rental service. And not worth paying $50/yr to not know what you can even play. I know its semantics but I'm sesnsitve word usage :sly:

You rent games whether they're what you want or not. Anyway my point is still the same, the two aren't really comparable services as they are today.

Bad move Sony. I think I'll stay with the PS3 even longer.... I'm not going to pay for online gaming...

So you were willing to drop $399 USD on what is essentially a toy but another $5 a month was just the breaking point?

OK not trying to flame anyone here but this is how I see it. All the people on here complaining about having to pay for online are gonna have problems in the long run. So the PS3 will still be around for a long while yet but 3 or 4 years down the road when most friends have got the new generation consoles what are you going to do? Sure you can still play with the randoms left on the PS3 or you can pay and chat with friends etc.

what are you going to do?

expecting-the-output.jpg

Let me understand this, 60 bucks for PS+,it will work on 3 different systems and you get free games to boot.
Who's complaining?
Really?
So for all you Starbucks and (insert name here) coffee drinkers, don't buy your latte frapachino whatever, that costs 3 dollars, that you get twice a day, times 5 days a week and in 2 weeks you have PS+.
I could go into the cost of drugs and alcohol, but I'm sure you could figure that out on your own.
So in actual reality, doing some simple math, it costs! 0.1643835616438356 cents per day to have PS+.
Break open the piggy bank.:sly:

Last edited:
killerjimbag
Let me understand this, 60 bucks for PS+,it will work on 3 different systems and you get free games to boot. Who's complaining?
Really? So for all you starbucks and whatever insert name here coffee drinkers don't buy your latte frapachino whatever that costs 3 dollars that you get twice a day times 5 days a week and in 2 weeks you have PS+.
I could go into the cost of drugs and alcohol but i'm sure you could figure that out on your own.
So in actual reality doing some simple math it costs 0.1643835616438356 cents per day to have PS+.
Break open the piggy bank.:sly:

This 100%. 👍

Totally agree with you. Honestly I don't mind paying for PSN. I have been impressed with the service over the years anyway, so why not.

This 100%. 👍

Totally agree with you. Honestly I don't mind paying for PSN. I have been impressed with the service over the years anyway, so why not.

I think people can afford it, but are annoyed with the principle of having to pay when already having bought the console and games, since this wasn't required earlier.

I'm not one of those people who thinks that way though, and think it's appropriate to pay for a service, and with all the bonus you get, it's hardly paying a fee in the first place, since you're getting more than your moneys worth in return.

I cannot tell people how to act or what to do, but I honestly think that people's "I want everything for free"-attitude need to go.

This isn't exactly a problem to me because every game that I buy I always end up playing online for a very long time, like many other people said the price that you pay for it is worth it.

Sony will be fine with those not wanting to pay for online play, if they can sell PS+ as it is now then the are for sure going to increase the user base of PS+ moving forward with PS4.

I'll probably end up subscribing to PS+ at one point or another. As soon as a game worth playing online, exclusive or superior to any other possible version exist on the system, which I'm sure will eventually happen.

I'll end up keeping my current XBL service so I can play sum Killer Instinct Day 1 with the homies.

Back