PS4 Requires PS+ for online play. Thoughts?

• Thread starter Ameer67
  • 94 comments
As they are now Xbox Live and Playstation Plus are different services. XBL is a subscription service offerings you online gaming and other services, PS+ is an ongoing game rental service. Obviously that will change with PS4 and then it might make sense to compare what the two offer directly.

I call BS. We can already compare the two. XBL is nothing more than a glorified pay wall as games can be bought "offline"(and I am using the term loosely). Most of what XBL offers is hidden behind that "gold" pay wall that would cost around $10 a month and offers nothing more than online services.

With PS+, you can get a discount, that is admittedly massive, on select games a month, and what is more, with the PS4, YOU ONLY NEED ONE ACCOUNT TO HAVE PLUS FOR THE CONSOLE TO BE ONLINE! That is something you can't have with the 360 or with XBL for that matter.

While I will admit that XBL offers ESPN and the like, you are going to be stuck behind that pay wall if you are logged in to a non-live account where as PS+ still offers a console-gateway, or rather you pay the fee to break the pay wall for the console, not the account.

It took me almost a whole day to think of the words to say but here it goes.

I don't care. I have been paying XBL for 5 years now so all of this does not even matter. Sony is hoping for the same if not better success than XBL did this console generation. It is another thing to improve your experience. Who knows what they will do with it. It could possibly be just as good as a service that XBL is right now.

With saying all of this, I'm waiting until Gaikai to be up and running smoothly for a few months before I buy a PS4 and PS+

While I will admit that XBL offers ESPN and the like, you are going to be stuck behind that pay wall if you are logged in to a non-live account where as PS+ still offers a console-gateway, or rather you pay the fee to break the pay wall for the console, not the account.

Wait, what?!! :crazy:

Wow, didn't know it was like that with Xbox Live. :scared:

Playstation users are grown up men now, so they can afford to pay for on line gaming. Sony finally step forward

Vast majority of Playstation users started with first ps one and then continued with ps2 and ps3 so, when we all have been teenagers starting with game consoles, now it's no problem to pay for some stupid on line game play.

Again i have problems with seeing issue here.

Vast majority of Playstation users started with first ps one and then continued with ps2 and ps3 so, when we all have been teenagers starting with game consoles, now it's no problem to pay for some stupid on line game play.

The main issue is, with your logic, that the Playstation will be dead as soon as your generation gets too old. Simply because of your logic, there can hardly be any new people aka new customers for it. Also, again with your logic, people who were too young for PS1 and PS2 can hardly have a PS3 (just strange that so many do).

Last edited:
I call BS. We can already compare the two. XBL is nothing more than a glorified pay wall as games can be bought "offline"(and I am using the term loosely). Most of what XBL offers is hidden behind that "gold" pay wall that would cost around $10 a month and offers nothing more than online services.

With PS+, you can get a discount, that is admittedly massive, on select games a month, and what is more, with the PS4, YOU ONLY NEED ONE ACCOUNT TO HAVE PLUS FOR THE CONSOLE TO BE ONLINE! That is something you can't have with the 360 or with XBL for that matter.

PS Plus also works on the same account across 3 different console - PS4, Vita and PS3, which is a very cool :) So, all accounts on the consoles will receive the benefits.

The new PS Plus subscriptions will not apply to PS4 alone, as Gara said, “it applies across three consoles, includes content across all three consoles,” suggesting your monthly payment will grant access to multiplayer and extras on both PS3 and PS Vita as well.

Gara reiterates that subcribers will get a free version of DriveClub at PS4′s launch, along with other, unannounced bonuses similar to those enjoyed by current PS Plus subscribers.

Finally, Gara confirmed that cross-game chat is now a thing in PS4.

Playstation users are grown up men now, so they can afford to pay for on line gaming. Sony finally step forward
The amount of kids at stores like GameStop and in online lobbies would suggest otherwise. I doubt that the average age of the PS4's audience is much different from the PS3's.

It is a shame that Sony didn't give some free online multiplayer minutes or something like that for casual gamers like myself. Good thing though at least is that most of the other features are free like cross game chat and ability to use online apps. Online features in games that don't require live multiplayer are also free. I must have spent less than 10 hours in my lifetime on live multiplayer gaming on consoles so it won't affect me much although it will be an annoyance. I will get PS Plus if I feel like it is of value to me so maybe in a couple years time.

It is a shame that Sony didn't give some free online multiplayer minutes or something like that for casual gamers like myself. Good thing though at least is that most of the other features are free like cross game chat and ability to use online apps. Online features in games that don't require live multiplayer are also free. I must have spent less than 10 hours in my lifetime on live multiplayer gaming on consoles so it won't affect me much although it will be an annoyance. I will get PS Plus if I feel like it is of value to me so maybe in a couple years time.

You can actually get cheaper PS Plus from HK Store at less than US $30 per year, as PS4 games are region free, you can use HK PS Plus to get online play, and get free games, discounts from HK Store - a lot cheaper than US Store with more variety of games and content- Asia/Japan games.

"Vast majority"? What data are you basing that on?

"Vast majority"? What data are you basing that on?

I would like to hear that as well. I was born during the video game crash of 1983, and have made it a point to play most major console launches since then.

But that said, playing devil's advocate here...

The playstation was introduced in 1994, and even if a young gamer was 6(the age I was when I got the NES) at the time of the launch of the original Playstation, he would be 25 this year.

So to an extent, USSR is correct, but Nintendo has been around a lot longer, 30 years as a console maker.

The fact that PS+ is required to play online on PS4 is a load of b******t. That was one of the best things about the PS3's online, it was FREE. But hey, at least Sony never considered DRM and a 24 hour check in.

I've decided to cut my losses and will get a 365 day PS+ subscription when I get a PS4 at Christmas. It's the way things are going nowadays and the math seems to add up: 40 quid a year or just over 3 quid a month sounds quite reasonable. Coupled with the discounts and free monthly games, PS+ on PS4 seems like better value for than I first thought.

For very long time i used hacked PS3 to play games for free but i sold it and no i have OFW an i'm buying games. I came to conclusion it's way much better to have opportunity to fully experience game, even if i have to pay for DLC.

PS + costing me around 5$ a month isn't a big deal for my generation of gamers who started playing on Sega Saturn and Playstation One. So i think is a good deal, great deal if you add all the extra goodies that sony offers with it. Free games, lower prices, on line game play. Awesome!

Oh and i believe that paying for On line gaming will finally cut off those 10 year old kids spoiling trolling game lobbies.

You can hope it cuts off the 10 year olds all ya like mate, just like I hoped the 18+ sticker would keep them from GTAV. Some parents just don't give a damn and will cave to the pressure in mere seconds.

My first console was a N64 and $60 a year isn't even a slight concern. I had plus on PS3 for a while but decided to stop it when my hard drive neared being full. It's a very good service and filling a 500GB HDD should take a while :sly:

Most PS4 online games will be on PS3 for free

Battlefield 4
Call of Duty 10
Madden
Fifa
Watchdogs
The Crew
Need For Speed Rivals
NBA2K15
MLB the Show
Destiny
And more

And yet there are people insisted to have the PS4 just to play some of those games. Makes me wonder why pay for PS+ (If you don't have it) just to play like COD. :dunce:

Not an issue for me, especially as we had PSN with PS3 free for so many years. If we want better online and perhaps dedicated servers then why not.

Oh and i believe that paying for On line gaming will finally cut off those 10 year old kids spoiling trolling game lobbies.
Because parents who can afford a Xbox for their children could never afford Xbox Live and that's why there is not a single kid playing online.
Because there are no trolls on Xbox Live.
And because everybody is so incredibly civilised MS never had to ban anyone.

:)

Last edited:
Whilst I'm not planning to get a PS4 even within a year of release, it does seem a shame that Sony seem to be taking a few too many leaves out of MS's book lately, with the mandatory premium paid for service and the recent confirmation that there will only be 2 free PS3 titles per month on Playstation Plus from now on (in line with the 2 free games with Xbox Gold).

For the first time neither of the games they've lined up for November really appeal to me. MGS is OK but I want to catch up on several previous titles before I try what is effectively a spin-off, and I forget the other title but it's not an AAA title by any means. I used to like the indie and even PS1/PS2 titles they threw in the mix, there was always something I liked that made membership worthwhile. I guess for the first time it will only be worth it if you own more than one platform (I don't own a PSP/Vita either), which seems a great shame.

Time to give this thread a bump, as PlayStation+ prices are going up! It will now be $60 for a year and $25 for 3 months and the new pricing will go in effect in a month. So, what does this mean? A PS+ subscription cost the same as Xbox Live Gold now. What do you guys think about the price increase? Good idea? Bad idea?

Also to add, PS+ is going up.
I posted it in the General playstation topic.

Also to add, PS+ is going up.
I posted it in the General playstation topic.
It is to bring your prices in line with the EU and UK I believe - we already had our increase...

Also, the subject was broached on Tuesday by Ameer67.

It is to bring your prices in line with the EU and UK I believe - we already had our increase...

Also, the subject was broached on Tuesday by Ameer67.

Interestingly, in the EU the price of the 3 month subscription got increased from €15 to €20 . But the 1 year subscription stayed at €50.

Latest Posts

Back