PS4 Requires PS+ for online play. Thoughts?

• Thread starter Ameer67
  • 94 comments
And what's wrong with the PS4 thread? Is there a block where you can't discuss PS+ requirement for the PS4 online play in the PS4 thread?

Good thing. This will eliminate stupid kids bashing other people lobbies. 👍

I already have PS+ so it won't be anything new for me.

Getting loads of free stuff and discounts is always great. :dopey:

I already have PS+ so it won't be anything new for me.

Getting loads of free stuff and discounts is always great. :dopey:

Same here. I love that I can pay the price of one full game every year and check the store every month or so to pick up a load of new stuff. Well, some was new, a few things I already own on disc (like Just Cause 2) or PC (Deus Ex: Human Resources) but its nice to have them on my sofa-friendly PS3. Also BF3 being free means I can join my brother and get killed loads because I can't aim with sticks any more. The cloud saving thing is great too, that's worth at least £10 a year, and the discounts are nice as well. I'm considering buying the MGS2 and 3 HD versions even though I have them both on disc already just so I can have them installed and ready to go. GT5 is the only disc I ever have in my PS3 these days. CONVENIENCE!

Mandatory PS+ for online play is the only thing that's putting putting me off getting a PS4. I never got PS+ on the PS3 as I wasn't willing to spend £40 a year on what basically amounted to some things like game discounts, free AAA titles, early beta access and cloud saving.

I really didn't think PS+ was worth it probably due to the fact I am quite stubborn but the PS4 approaching leaves me stuck in a difficult position.

Mandatory PS+ for online play is the only thing that's putting putting me off getting a PS4. I never got PS+ on the PS3 as I wasn't willing to spend £40 a year on what basically amounted to some things like game discounts, free AAA titles, early beta access and cloud saving.

I really didn't think PS+ was worth it probably due to the fact I am quite stubborn but the PS4 approaching leaves me stuck in a difficult position.

Really? I was thinking about getting PS+ just for that feature. The discounts and cloud backup are bonuses.

Been expecting this for a long time. Especially once they started offering and charging for PS+. When the community starting supporting that, they opened up the doors to allow Playstation to start charging for online. That was the first step toward charging for online. Pretty much helped confirm my decision that I will not be buying a PS4. The one major feature Playstation had going for it was free online. Since that is gone, I will stick with Microsoft. Just my opinion.

I really don't follow that argument. So you won't buy a PS4 because you will now have to pay to play online, and instead by an XBone and pay to play online?

I really don't follow that argument. So you won't buy a PS4 because you will now have to pay to play online, and instead by an XBone and pay to play online?

Especially when the Xbox costs £80 (2 years PS+) more than the PS4 to begin with.

If you force to pay for on-line gaming. not every one will purchase it. For this reason not every stupid kid will have access to on line game play. This will eliminate a lot of game trolls.

This days where on line game play is free, of course you can meet them almost in every game but force them to pay they own money for it. :) There you have it, problem solved.

If you force to pay for on-line gaming. not every one will purchase it. For this reason not every stupid kid will have access to on line game play. This will eliminate a lot of game trolls.

This days where on line game play is free, of course you can meet them almost in every game but force them to pay they own money for it. :) There you have it, problem solved.

You don't think trolls will pay to troll? Or that kids will get their mummy and daddy pay for them to be annoying? Oh boy how wrong you are.

Except its not their own money, it's their parents money.

Edit: Tree'd by Samus

Being the cheapskate that I am, of course I wasn't happy with paying for online. What if I only play on the weekends? What if I don't go online that often? It's still gonna be paying a fixed amount of $$$ per year. But then, seeing as the competition was already milking the collective cow sheep for all these years, I think it's only fair if Sony did it as well. Plus, I don't really see how Sony maintained their servers for the PS3 if the only income they're getting is from the sales of consoles. (Do they get a cut from the sale of games?) :boggled:

Of course, if they've somehow managed to afford the cost of a console and at least one game, the cost of PS+ is unlikely to be a deterrent.

By definition, your online trolls are people who want to be online, because that's where they get their jollies. You think they're going to drop $400+ on a console, $60 on a game and then get squeamish over $5 a month?

If anything, I'd expect the relative proportions of asshats online to go up. There will be just as many dorks trolling people online as ever, but Joe Random who plays online a few times a month may not even bother now. I don't have a Live Gold account, and I hardly miss it.

There's a lot of keyboard warriors making a huge deal out of $5 a month. I know because I used to make a big deal out of it to my friends with Xbox when I was 14.

Free ps3/ps4/vita games every month, cloud saving, huge discounts. What's not to like? And if they are going to make the servers better it's worth the price

Here is the slide showing PS+ features if you guys missed it:

IMG_5830-640x426.jpg

They probably listed "Immersive multiplayer online on PS4" on the bottom and only on one slide so consumers don't notice that you have to pay.

For some people, the only reason to get a PS3 was because of the free multiplayer online, while the 'competitor' makes you pay. If this console generation lasts about 8 years, you'll be paying around $400 total just to play online.

Last edited:
For some people, the only reason to get a PS3 was because of the free multiplayer online, while the 'competitor' makes you pay. If this console generation lasts about 8 years, you'll be paying around $400 total just to play online.
Is $400 over ~8 years bad value? With all the extra content and not only online multiplayer in mind.

Many people buy games for more then $400 a year.

Not really, what if you never troll online lobbies, always play games properly but you don't have cash to be giving around 40 quid a year for online play (assuming the cost of PS+ is 40 a year)?

Back