[PS4] Uncharted 4: A Thief's EndPS4 

• Thread starter gtone339
  • 410 comments
That's what I though, although I find it will be a bit hard, but they still have alot of optimization to go, so arguably it may improve. Unless they go Watchdogs on us.

I absolutely doubt that! This is NaughtyDog, one of the finest 1st party gaming dev studios, owned by Sony.

Anyway, this is what they really wanted from Sony, a PC-like console with very powerful specs and high-speed RAM! They know how to tap into the console's power in every each sequel/ip.
Here's an example from Graphic progression (Nathan Drake) from Uncharted 1 - 3 (PS3) and the latest from Uncharted 4 (PS4):

uncharted_comparisons___nathan_drake_by_gtone339-d7luui8.jpg

Good to see how good graphics and performance you can get from a modern reasonably powered GPU. Makes wait to see next GT game very exciting as we might see another benchmark on how good a next-gen game can really look.

EW: Well I mentioned earlier the number of products we have going. We definitely have another project on the scale of Uncharted in very early pre-production stages. We have the sizable team that it takes to get something like that off of the ground, but it's got a long runway in front of it. We have a lot of great ideas and some stuff that is already getting everybody jazzed and excited. So, it's a long way off before we can really start talking about it in detail. But no, [Bruce and Neil working on Uncharted] is not going to impact our ability to keep that stirring that pot.

A new IP or a sequel to the Last of Us?​

In a discussion on Twitter yesterday, Naughty Dog graphics programmer Corrinne Yu revealed just how hard that work has been, briefly discussing the long hours going into the production of The Last of Us and the Uncharted 4 trailer leading up to E3, including overnights and weekends:

Corrinne Yu: We are coding hard over the weekends with our Naughty Dog graphics team to push The Last of Us past 60 fps.

Corrinne Yu: To graphics code head, face, Drake's shirt for Uncharted 4 PS4 trailer, I slept over night at ND office many times. Such is reality.

Corrinne Yu: I'm not into competing.I definitely strive to "express something" in my game work.

As Cliff Blezinski comments sadly that they "killed themselves for a trade show that would eventually fade away", she replies:
Corrinne Yu: Not really.Every graphics feature I code for deadline are for 2015 Uncharted 4 game,just will have time make better.

Corrinne Yu: And I have faith in Uncharted 4 narrative and gameplay will stand game art history test of time and make a statement

Good to see how good graphics and performance you can get from a modern reasonably powered GPU. Makes wait to see next GT game very exciting as we might see another benchmark on how good a next-gen game can really look.

Next-gen GT is undoubtedly going to be one sharp-looking game.

When devs are willing to put in the blood, sweat and tears required to wring out every last drop of power out of a platform, you can get some truly stellar graphics. Something that, as much as a certain master race likes to brag about their higher resolutions and their smoother framerates, you don't get on PC. It's impossible, there's simply too many possible system configurations. PCs may have more raw power, but significantly more of that power is wasted than on consoles.

PC Master Race might argue that even if more of their hardware's power is wasted, there's still more power being utilized. And that's true... it's being utilized for things like ultra-high resolution rendering & textures, perfectly smooth framerates, etc. But true masters like Naughty Dog and Polyphony Digital milk every last drop of power out of their platform and then put it to the most aesthetically beneficial use, rather than just doing the "hey there's excess power, let's enable these demanding ultra-high resolution textures that make the game look marginally better!" thing that PC games use a lot of their system's power for.

Anyway, that was a kinda random rant. Continuing on...

A new IP or a sequel to the Last of Us?
If I had to guess, probably a sequel to TLOU. But as great as TLOU was, I personally hope it's a new IP. I don't think I'd like to see them continue the story of the first game, as I thought it ended perfectly. So they'd have to do an all-new story with a different cast of characters... which could certainly work, but it'd kinda just feel unnecessary. It would have to be really damn good, as in better than the first game, to make me think that it was truly necessary for them to explore the TLOU universe further. If it's just more of the same, I'm not all that interested.

Next-gen GT is undoubtedly going to be one sharp-looking game.

When devs are willing to put in the blood, sweat and tears required to wring out every last drop of power out of a platform, you can get some truly stellar graphics. Something that, as much as a certain master race likes to brag about their higher resolutions and their smoother framerates, you don't get on PC. It's impossible, there's simply too many possible system configurations. PCs may have more raw power, but significantly more of that power is wasted than on consoles.

PC Master Race might argue that even if more of their hardware's power is wasted, there's still more power being utilized. And that's true... it's being utilized for things like ultra-high resolution rendering & textures, perfectly smooth framerates, etc. But true masters like Naughty Dog and Polyphony Digital milk every last drop of power out of their platform and then put it to the most aesthetically beneficial use, rather than just doing the "hey there's excess power, let's enable these demanding ultra-high resolution textures that make the game look marginally better!" thing that PC games use a lot of their system's power for.
Playing on PC, I don't think in general they take that much more resources to do the same thing as on console. I think main difference is it costs a lot of money to make a game look very graphically impressive so you generally see biggest investments for console games due to that is generally where the money is and not much goes into pushing the graphics much further on PC as I doubt financially the reward is there to do much more.

Am I the only one that is hoping that ND's new TLOU scaled project is a Crash Bandicoot reboot?
You might well be judging by the subsequent silence ;)

I'm really hoping for a ne and, surprising departure; something akin to what Mirror's Edge was for the Dice team, or Sunset Overdrive is for Insomniac, or indeed even Resistance.

I'm really hoping for a ne and, surprising departure; something akin to what Mirror's Edge was for the Dice team, or Sunset Overdrive is for Insomniac, or indeed even Resistance.
I really want this too, the cinematic experience market is becoming a bit saturated, and to be honest I don't think they need another IP along the lines of TLOU and Uncharted. I'd say that goes for Sony in general.

There have been rumblings that Crash will be announced at Vegas next month (Activision)
I really hope this is true, although I think that the market may be gone for such a game on Playstation now.

I might be in this case! :P

There have been rumblings that Crash will be announced at Vegas next month (Activision)

If this does happen I hope and pray Activision do something good with it, otherwise if it's anything like the last game then I will not be buying it and I'll be very upset.

I really hope this is true, although I think that the market may be gone for such a game on Playstation now.

I don't think it is if I'm honest, everytime CB is brought up in conversation there are many people who have fond memories of it. I still occasionally play the PS1 titles and even my younger cousins agree they're very good! So I don't think the current young generation won't understand it and besides, people in their 20s will be buying a new CB title if it's ever made, just like Pokemon games are still played by '90s kids.

...I don't think it is if I'm honest, everytime CB is brought up in conversation there are many people who have fond memories of it. I still occasionally play the PS1 titles and even my younger cousins agree they're very good! So I don't think the current young generation won't understand it and besides, people in their 20s will be buying a new CB title if it's ever made, just like Pokemon games are still played by '90s kids.
Here's hoping for you, and everyone else who'd like a new CB title, that the Timesplitters 4 situation will not apply. Though I can't see Sony hiding behind the 'gulf of elapsed time' or having no marketable audience style excuse - not when it's ND we're talking about.

Last edited:
I don't think it is if I'm honest, everytime CB is brought up in conversation there are many people who have fond memories of it. I still occasionally play the PS1 titles and even my younger cousins agree they're very good! So I don't think the current young generation won't understand it and besides, people in their 20s will be buying a new CB title if it's ever made, just like Pokemon games are still played by '90s kids.
Nobody bought the 'newer' Crash titles though, Activision practically destroyed the franchise. So, for it to succeed Sony would have to put a lot of money into making people realize this is a reboot.

In my opinion, anyway.

Nobody bought the 'newer' Crash titles though, Activision practically destroyed the franchise. So, for it to succeed Sony would have to put a lot of money into making people realize this is a reboot.

In my opinion, anyway.

That's why no one bought the newer titles. The franchise was destroyed after The Wrath Of Cortex IMO.

But I would agree that for it to be a successful reboot, Sony will need to inject a lot of money into it and commission someone like ND to create it.

Fine with me, I've got plenty of games to tide me over until then with the way things have been going lately.
Likewise but not so much on PS4 for me personally. I will pick up The Last of Us finally to tide me over though. :(

@Classic Please tell me you're buying the remastered one but you've played the regular one, don't tell this is your first taste of it.

Also it is somewhat expected (hope they get 60FPS) but a shame.

May I suggest metal gear solid five the phantom pain to tide you over also.
Due for worldwide release on September 1st.

:irked:👍

That action sequence looks like a lot of fun, but at the same time, it also looks very linear. It's like the Lisbon scene in Assassin's Creed Rogue - fun the first time around, but insubstantial on replays. I think that's the problem with Uncharted; the game looks spectacular, but the environments linear and restrictive. The first thing that I thought of was the chase levels from the Crash Bandicoot games, but with wisecracks and guns instead of anthropomorphic marsupials.

One of the reasons Sony won't get money off me for the Nathan Drake collection...spectacular games on first playthrough, but don't quite hit home on replays.
That action sequence looks like a lot of fun, but at the same time, it also looks very linear. It's like the Lisbon scene in Assassin's Creed Rogue - fun the first time around, but insubstantial on replays. I think that's the problem with Uncharted; the game looks spectacular, but the environments linear and restrictive. The first thing that I thought of was the chase levels from the Crash Bandicoot games, but with wisecracks and guns instead of anthropomorphic marsupials.

it actually looks pretty open so far, they've been saying they wanted to make it much less linear and I can see that.

The extended demo will be available for all to see July first.

it actually looks pretty open so far, they've been saying they wanted to make it much less linear and I can see that.
It's certainly more open by the series' standards, but it's not as open as other series are. I don't think that an open-world Uncharted game is possible, but look at that opening firefight - it's very restrictive in terms of the way forward. I suppose that it's a by-product of the series' development ethos, building the story around key action sequences.

I suppose that it's a by-product of the series' development ethos, building the story around key action sequences.

I think that's it. Uncharted has always been much more on the movie side of the movie/game divide. They have set pieces, and there's a right way to approach them that results in the player having the exact experience that the developer has designed. At times it's not far from watching a movie with minor button pushing.

All the games have been very linear and restrictive, but the awesomeness comes from the experience of just going with it. It's a similar thing to an action movie, at some point you've just got to switch off that part of your brain that goes "nuh-uh" and enjoy the ride. I think of the games as action movies where you feel a bit more involved because you're actually controlling the action to some extent.

I think there's plenty of room for games that are pretty close to on-rails-rollercoaster type experiences, and others that are free and open for players to create their own experiences. I think Uncharted will always be only as open as they can make it while maintaining the script that they have for the player, just because that's the way they write it.

Back