[PS4] WEDNESDAYS - Join us on Project Cars 2Finished 

silverstone-jpg.640876

Sorry for posting in wrong thread first

Silverstone results above sick

I enjoy the racing tonight, was quite close at times. Was having battle with Skip, until, I crashed into the tyre on the right at last hairpin. Got spun out, then later on got tangled some Al. This damaged my car even more, so had to pit, I then had to battle though the Al to get 7th place.

I was still having a little trouble hearing people, better than Monday, Im no sure if people could hear me.

I was still having a little trouble hearing people, better than Monday, Im no sure if people could hear me.

I could see that your mic was activated on the screen but i couldnt hear you i'm afraid.
I guess you've have already fiddled with it but if not: settings-units-sounds and then find the adjustment slider for headset/mic. In the ps4 settings that will say.

Round 3 from Sonoma Raceway GP

Round 3 Season 1.jpg

Race Report

I expected the Formula Ford (Lotus 51) race from Sonoma Raceway GP to be a cracker and it was. Congratulations to TigerPaw on a fine win and Flaco on second place. Commiserations to Paul Bee who was in a strong position until a disconnection and also to talented returnee Alex O'Neil who also suffered a disconnection.

Unfortunately during my first lap of practise I braked too late and ran into the back of Alex O'Neil - many apologies Alex. During qualifying I had another disaster - not as bad as when I turned the Aston Martin upside down on Monday, but approaching the final hairpin on a fast lap with my mind totally focussed on my braking point I noticed the AIS (AI Simpleton) Curtis Hardy with his car completely blocking the track - the left front suspension was damaged and having just passed the pit lane I tried to enter the pits from the wrong end - big mistake!. I then sat in the pits watching the time ticking away, getting more and more flustered as my Pit Crew worked on the damaged car. As I was released onto the track I could see that there was just enough time left for one out lap and one fast lap - provided that there were no problems. It wasn't a great lap as there were a few problems, but fortunately it was good enough for fifth on the grid.

During the first couple of laps I really concentrated on not braking late and not doing anything risky - the collision in practise had provided a salutary lesson. I was surprised by the closeness of the racing - normally I lose sight of the leader pretty quickly. I found myself in fourth after Buybon spun out then third - I think when Paul Bee disconnected. At half distance I started lapping the AI drivers, but I didn't seem to be getting through them as efficiently as first and second as the gap to the leaders started extending. With about six minutes to go Buybon's blue car started looming larger in my mirrors as he was charging back following his off track excursion. He was so much faster I knew a pass was inevitable. I followed him for a couple of laps, noticing that I seemed to have an edge on braking in a few places. Are you still using a hand controller @buybon355 ? With a couple of minutes left I was able to slide up the inside into a first gear corner and Buybon kindly gave me space. During the final laps I was feeling the pressure, making errors, but trying to keep a faster driver behind and out of the final corner I was holding onto the gears, over revving the engine trying to stay ahead to the line - a very exciting race with a climactic finish and for me a very surprising result to get onto the podium against better, faster drivers.

With half of the rounds complete in the Formula Ford (Lotus 51) everything is to play for and literally any driver could take the crown. Buybon is looking strong at the top of the table, Flaco and TigerPaw are showing great pace, while SimbaLora should never be under estimated and hopefully former race winner Rich will recover and return soon. get well soon Rich!

Next week another exciting circuit in the Aston Martin on Monday and Lotus 51 on Wednesday - Donnington Park - these races should be a couple of corkers! Note - GP circuit on Monday with the Aston Martin, National circuit on Wednesday with the Lotus 51 (selected because it has less barking zones / hairpins and therefore less chance of open wheelers getting tangled!)

Next Round 4 from Donnington Park National
To join this series simply post your name and choice of livery in the thread and send a Friend Request to Sick_Cylinder2

Last edited:
Are you still using a hand controller @buybon355 ?

No, but I've got a T150, and not being used to no ABS, I struggle at the big braking zones as the pedals don't give any feel - just need to guess how hard to press. I was either locking up the rears, or not braking enough!

Was a really good battle, I thought I had you at the line, but tried to squeeze into a gap that was always going to close, touched the side of your car and had a tank slapper across the line.

Humans were all great at giving room, AI not so much.

Round 3 from Sonoma Raceway GP

View attachment 643759

Race Report

I expected the Formula Ford (Lotus 51) race from Sonoma Raceway GP to be a cracker and it was. Congratulations to TigerPaw on a fine win and Flaco on second place. Commiserations to Paul Bee who was in a strong position until a disconnection and also to talented returnee Alex O'Neil who also suffered a disconnection.

Unfortunately during my first lap of practise I braked too late and ran into the back of Alex O'Neil - many apologies Alex. During qualifying I had another disaster - not as bad as when I turned the Aston Martin upside down on Monday, but approaching the final hairpin on a fast lap with my mind totally focussed on my braking point I noticed the AIS (AI Simpleton) Curtis Hardy with his car completely blocking the track - the left front suspension was damaged and having just passed the pit lane I tried to enter the pits from the wrong end - big mistake!. I then sat in the pits watching the time ticking away, getting more and more flustered as my Pit Crew worked on the damaged car. As I was released onto the track I could see that there was just enough time left for one out lap and one fast lap - provided that there were no problems. It wasn't a great lap as there were a few problems, but fortunately it was good enough for fifth on the grid.

During the first couple of laps I really concentrated on not braking late and not doing anything risky - the collision in practise had provided a salutary lesson. I was surprised by the closeness of the racing - normally I lose sight of the leader pretty quickly. I found myself in fourth after Buybon spun out then third - I think when Paul Bee disconnected. At half distance I started lapping the AI drivers, but I didn't seem to be getting through them as efficiently as first and second as the gap to the leaders started extending. With about six minutes to go Buybon's blue car started looming larger in my mirrors as he was charging back following his off track excursion. He was so much faster I knew a pass was inevitable. I followed him for a couple of laps, noticing that I seemed to have an edge on braking in a few places. Are you still using a hand controller @buybon355 ? With a couple of minutes left I was able to slide up the inside into a first gear corner and Buybon kindly gave me space. During the final laps I was feeling the pressure, making errors, but trying to keep a faster driver behind and out of the final corner I was holding onto the gears, over revving the engine trying to stay ahead to the line - a very exciting race with a climactic finish and for me a very surprising result to get onto the podium against better, faster drivers.

With half of the rounds complete in the Formula Ford (Lotus 51) everything is to play for and literally any driver could take the crown. Buybon is looking strong at the top of the table, Flaco and TigerPaw are showing great pace, while SimbaLora should never be under estimated and hopefully former race winner Rich will recover and return soon. get well soon Rich!

Next week another exciting circuit in the Aston Martin on Monday and Lotus 51 on Wednesday - Donnington Park GP - those should be a couple of corkers!

Next Round 4 from Donnington Park GP
To join this series simply post your name and choice of livery in the thread and send a Friend Request to Sick_Cylinder2

Sick,
Just to clarify your last comments on Donnington, the schedule shows Monday is on the GP version, but Wednesday race on the National track...Have it changed to both races on GP???

Sick,
Just to clarify your last comments on Donnington, the schedule shows Monday is on the GP version, but Wednesday race on the National track...Have it changed to both races on GP???

Thanks for spotting my error Skip! The National Circuit was selected for the Lotus 51 because testing showed there was less chance of the open wheeler cars getting tangled in the braking zones / hairpins of the loop section. I have now corrected the heading at the bottom of the race report.

Factoid - loop sections were added to a lot of UK tracks years ago to bring them up to the then minimum length for a GP track. This enabled the track to hold more lucrative meetings including non-championship F1 races which were quite common when the F1 calendar was much shorter than it is now - it was only about a third of the current length, but the F1 drivers actually did more racing because of competing in non-championship races, plus saloons, F2, Can Am and the Tasman Series. They often combined the Tasman with a family holiday - difficult to imagine today's lot going on holiday together!

No, but I've got a T150, and not being used to no ABS, I struggle at the big braking zones as the pedals don't give any feel - just need to guess how hard to press. I was either locking up the rears, or not braking enough!

You have transitioned really quickly from being very fast with a hand controller to being really good with a wheel - a lot of people struggle with this - seemingly more so if they are very good with a controller. What was the secret - was it just practise? Or did you find the change relatively easy? How are you finding the wheel now for enjoyment level / immersion and speed? This will be of extra interest to any hand controller drivers considering the switch to a wheel.

Last edited:
Yeah practice really. I had to change my driving style completely- I used to throw the cars around a lot more with the controller as slides were easy to catch. You can go lock to lock in the flick of a thumb. I now use as little lock as I can. I thought the wheel felt great until I played gt sport on the t300- steering felt so much better, and the pedals were night and day.

I never used the triggers for throttle or brakes, just used the x and square buttons. Having pedal travel to feather the throttle is great. Just wish I had some feel in my brake pedal.

I use an omega wheel stand which collapses and tucks down the side of the sofa after use. It takes about a minute to compete the process. It's out of sight once done, and the wheel and pedals stay attached.

I'd put off getting a wheel for years, trying to convince myself it's just a game, and I do ok with the controller, so why spend the money?

I'm now looking at getting a better wheel and pedal set having felt how good it can actually feel.

If anyone is 50/50 on getting a wheel, I'd say go for it. If your quick on a controller, you'll be as quick if not quicker with a wheel. The feeling is better, the immersion is better, and you have more input into what the car is doing.

A race report:

Started in front with flaco next to me. Had a good start and saw in my mirror that the car next to me was losing some ground which gave me turn 1 all to myself...not! When turning right i bumped in to someone and i thaught "damn, flaco came very fast on the inside". (Looking at the replay i realised it wasnt flaco i saw in my mirror, instead he had a better start than me and was on my inside all the way up the hill. Sorry Flaco, i could have ended both our races there).

Anyway, i lost three positions in that turn but managed to regain two as there was an incident in front of me into T4 where two cars got tangled together and went off track. I followed flaco for a handful of laps with Paul close behind pushing to get by. I drove defensive to keep my position with flaco extending his lead 0.5s every lap.

With 10-15 minutes to go Paul disconnected (i found out afterwards) and i could focus on my laptimes instead of looking in the mirrors all the time. Starting the final lap i had closed the gap from 4 seconds to just 1sec and was lucky to see flaco doing minor mistakes which enabled me to get on his outside coming in to the final hairpin. Respectfully we came out of that turn side by side in a hunt for the checkered flag and i was lucky to cross the finish line an inch or two ahead of flaco.

A race report:

Started in front with flaco next to me. Had a good start and saw in my mirror that the car next to me was losing some ground which gave me turn 1 all to myself...not! When turning right i bumped in to someone and i thaught "damn, flaco came very fast on the inside". (Looking at the replay i realised it wasnt flaco i saw in my mirror, instead he had a better start than me and was on my inside all the way up the hill. Sorry Flaco, i could have ended both our races there).

Anyway, i lost three positions in that turn but managed to regain two as there was an incident in front of me into T4 where two cars got tangled together and went off track. I followed flaco for a handful of laps with Paul close behind pushing to get by. I drove defensive to keep my position with flaco extending his lead 0.5s every lap.

With 10-15 minutes to go Paul disconnected (i found out afterwards) and i could focus on my laptimes instead of looking in the mirrors all the time. Starting the final lap i had closed the gap from 4 seconds to just 1sec and was lucky to see flaco doing minor mistakes which enabled me to get on his outside coming in to the final hairpin. Respectfully we came out of that turn side by side in a hunt for the checkered flag and i was lucky to cross the finish line an inch or two ahead of flaco.

Do you mean Flaco? The results show Flaco finishing 2nd - were you battling with SimbaLora and John Wells?

Very interesting post @buybon355 - I was frustratingly poor with a hand controller (hands too big and clumsy) and switched to a wheel near the start of GT5 first with a Logitech DFGT which was great, but in the quest for more realism I ordered a G27 only to cancel it when I spotted a T500 for an amazing price (it was an Amazon return). I'm very pleased that I cancelled the G27 because the T500 is compatible with the PS4. It's as much wheel as I need - the only downsides being that it gets very hot (large motor) and the fans are noisy.

Another good race! Was surprised to get pole, didn't last long, flaco got past me coming out of McLeans and set off into the sunset.

Throughout the race I either had simba or tigerpaw applying pressure, to which I eventually succumbed, leaving me coming home in 4th.

The right guys were in the podium, Greater pace and consistency, well done guys.

Yeah I was very surprised I could pull away like that. In practice and qualifying I accepted the fact that my pace was good for 4th place, I couldn't go any faster. I made plans in my head to stay behind and just try to keep 4th place, maybe with luck get to 3rd. But I had a good start, tigerpaw delayed somehow and I was closing up on Simba and passed him, I think between Hollywood and the Craners. And buybon touched the gravel just a bit at McLeans and I could carry momentum to pass and suddenly led the race. Somehow I found great consistency throughout the first half of the race, with the second half having some minor issues with weakening concentration but not terrible enough to make any major mistake this time.

Back