punk bandsMusic 

  • Thread starter Thread starter wana b drifter
  • 31 comments
  • 1,642 views

do u think punk bands are the new "boy bands"

  • yes

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • no

    Votes: 11 68.8%

  • Total voters
    16
Messages
650
i hate "punk" rock (new found glory, AFI, etc) i think its just like the new boy bands (backstreet boys and stuff). there just a bunch of p*ssies making bad music that 12 y/o girls like.
 
You're thinking of the punk rock that they play on the radio. I thinkt his has been said countless times before, but unless you have listened to every song and every band in a genre, don't go trashing it. There are plenty of punk bands that don't just sing songs about their girlfriend dumping them, examples being Bad Religion, Strung Out, Dropkick Murphys, Bombshell Rocks, Against All Authority...and so on. Congratulations, you're ignorant.
 
Labels of yesteryear do not apply anymore(i.e.punk, disco). SNFU are the best. Even then some may call it thrash like D.R.I.. Still the best concert I've been to. Good rule of thumb. If its on the radio(mainstream)...not punk! Still can be enjoyed, but maybe I'm a purist.:mad: :banghead: :dunce: :D
 
I'm not much of a punk fan, but I don't mind a bit of 28 Days every now and then (Aussie punk!).
 
Originally posted by SublimeDood10
You're thinking of the punk rock that they play on the radio. I thinkt his has been said countless times before, but unless you have listened to every song and every band in a genre, don't go trashing it. There are plenty of punk bands that don't just sing songs about their girlfriend dumping them, examples being Bad Religion, Strung Out, Dropkick Murphys, Bombshell Rocks, Against All Authority...and so on. Congratulations, you're ignorant.

ok, do you know what bands im talking about? did it sound like i was talking about those underground or whatever bands you love oh soo much?the anwser is NO.i was talking about the punk rock that is on the radio because thats the only type of punk rock i know of. i'm sorry i broke your heart by saying punk rock sucks.
 
There is no punk rock on the radio. Punk rock, by definition will not be played on the radio.
 
Yo Klos! Check out University stations! Even the CBC in Canada would play punk(real) after midnight. Brave new waves it was called. All's we had in '89.
 
Oh, well I've never heard anything punk on the radio.

I think wana b drifter is confusing sum 41, good charlotte, and blink 182-ish bands with punk.
 
Originally posted by Klostrophobic
Oh, well I've never heard anything punk on the radio.

I think wana b drifter is confusing sum 41, good charlotte, and blink 182-ish bands with punk.

what are they then? i thought they were punk.
 
i always thought of pop as britney spears and that crap and punk rock as the blink 182ish stuff.
 
Nope..they're Money Punk. Music companies promo them as punk so that it will sell to the uninformed.
 
Pop-Punk (what blink-182 have always been classified under), to me, is basic make-up break-up based pop songs, only the band actually plays their own instruments (in pop music, if you play your own instrument instead of dance around like a midnless drone, you're seen as a rebel or punk). Punk comes in a variety of styles. There's hardcore punk (bands like the distillers :mad: and the misfits), funk punk (red hot chili peppers have been the only band to ever pull this off) and punk rock (bands like Bad Religion:), Green Day and The Offspring) are the most common punk flavors.

Punk bands like The Offspring and Green Day have gained popularity and moved on to bigger and better things, like big name labels, huge world-wide tours and lots of cash earned for playing music. Most punk purists call this "selling out". I call this a band actually having sucsess. So the band gets famous. SAo the band makes more money than you do. So they make videos and get radio airplay. They're still the same band and they have to make a living somehow.
 
To Dj: As a purist to some bands(check the Metallica threads) I freely admit to being a snob. I treated their music like my own personal money and refused to share. Purists tolerate Cultists, but loathe Success. Sorry. Did the time and witnessed a crime. Success changes bands. Hard to write a blues tune when life is peachy sorta deal.
 
What we're seeing here is a generational thing. Punk really existed only in the 1970s, with bands like The Clash, The Sex Pistols and The Ramones.

It was pretty much killed by the emergence of the New Romantics (Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Depeche Mode) in the early 1980s.

Bands like Sum 41, Blink182 etc are treading a fine line between rock and old-style punk, but the fact is they're relatively clean-cut, their lyrics are usually fairly radio-friendly. They're often reasonably eloquent and can be trusted in media interviews. These are all attributes that could not have been applied to the early 1970s bands, who were rough through and through.

There's a difference between being rough and acting rough. Your current boys are faking it.
 
Originally posted by GilesGuthrie
What we're seeing here is a generational thing. Punk really existed only in the 1970s, with bands like The Clash, The Sex Pistols and The Ramones.

It was pretty much killed by the emergence of the New Romantics (Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Depeche Mode) in the early 1980s.

Bands like Sum 41, Blink182 etc are treading a fine line between rock and old-style punk, but the fact is they're relatively clean-cut, their lyrics are usually fairly radio-friendly. They're often reasonably eloquent and can be trusted in media interviews. These are all attributes that could not have been applied to the early 1970s bands, who were rough through and through.

There's a difference between being rough and acting rough. Your current boys are faking it.

Where's the Crass/Subhumans shout out Giles? Instead of just writing lyrics about political change, these hooligans actually tried to make change happen, in the form of protest.
 
This may just be some random comment, but oh well. Anything on the radio claiming to be "punk rock," isn't. True punk rockers are against anything on the radio and TV. I guess Rancid forgot that little tidbit... I don't understand how Tim and Matt can go from an awesome band (yes i do know that they broke up because they got too big too fast) like Operation Ivy, to a band like Rancid (they are good, and I like them, but they're selling out, now) and tour with complete posers who call themselves punks (Good Charlotte).
 
there is some good punk out there, but its now getting a bad names because of 'boy bands with fuked up hair' like good charrlotte and blink 182.
 
Well for me the Ramones rule the punk music they created it and they finished it in thier last concert I think over 2,000 plus concerts thier albums are punk and nothing today even comes close to them! Heres some lyrics from one of my favoirte songs:

Jackie is a punk Judy is a runt

They both went down to Berlin joined the Ice Capades

Oh I dont know why No I dont know why

Perhaps theyll die oh yea!
 
punk is DEAD DAMMIT. only hardcore exists. punk isnt a sound, its a lifestyle also.
 
Well, Punk is the real Sound of Live 👍

I'm love the older Style from the 80's

AIRBOMB - I'm so Sick (Monday Morning)

ANTIDOTE - I Dont Care

....


:)
 
:D
 

Attachments

  • punks_not_dead.jpg
    punks_not_dead.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 61
Ok, so the most common definition here of a punk band is one that just plays for the love of the music not the money or anything that goes with it, and once a "punk" band makes it to the big-time and signs a major record deal, or hits the radio, or is heard cross-country, they aren't punk anymore. They're sell-outs? Well if that is the case, then the beloved Clash, Sex Pistols, Ramones, all them. They must not be punk either, they sign contracts, they make money, they're on the radio. So if neither of these categories are punk then that means that the only "true" punk bands are the underground ones that are never heard on the radio and are only known more-or-less in their home region. So since none of these bands gets national recognition by not receiving radio time across the country, or releasing major records, there never has been such a thing as a great or even good punk band.
 
Punk-Music is a wide definition :lol:
The dinkum Englisch Punk is a completely other Think , than the most of new Sound's that called Punk today :trouble:
 
Punk isn't dead, it has just been corrupted with bands like Blink 182, Simple Plan, and Mest that get stamped with the "punk" title.
 
First of all, I would like to say that Good Charlotte sucks. As well as Simple Plan, and Rancid. I once thought Rancid was decent, but not now - they suck. All three bands may look like punks or "punkish" but they sure are not punk. My friends, Punk is The Ramones, that is what punk is and will always be. The Ramones kick a$$ as compared to Good Charlotte - actually I wouldn't even put those two bands in the same category or genre. Good Charlotte is the dirt you sweep off the floor as well as the lint in between your toes; I'll stop because they're not even worth the energy I'm putting out to type this.
 
I agree with KOJas about Rancid. It's saddening, cuz they were good at one point.

:irked: :(
 
You mean pop/punk bands (Good Charlotte, NFG)
PUNK is awesome! Rancid, Bad Religion, Lagwagon, etc.
They are all kicka$$ bands.
 
Back