How Did Polyphony Digital Pull Off The Rain Effects....

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by anthonyfa18, Aug 29, 2019.

?

Has Polyphony Digital Maxed out the PS4??

1. Yes

83 vote(s)
    37.4%
  2. NO

68 vote(s)
    30.6%
  3. Not Sure

71 vote(s)
    32.0%
  1. AlanH49

AlanH49

Any visual gap today is largely down to texture quality (particularly trackside) and a final layer of visual effects. Those will all come with PS5. Use the high LOD models from Scape mode and you have photorealism.

JEverettL and Magog like this.
  2. GT6mebe

GT6mebe

Right the key things are lighting, modelling, physics and visual effects. After that its just a matter of bumping the resoltuion of textures up to get photorealism.

PD have nailed the lighting and modelling of cars. Trackside modelling, physics and visual effect can be improved.

3. rhalgr

rhalgr

@GT6mebe
    Obviously details, effects, ... can be added and improved with better hardware. Sometimes i just wonder how much it will take and how many generations we will need to get high resolution pictures, GIF or videos of gameplay that is difficult to differentiate to real life.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    JEverettL, usmaan and anthonyfa18 like this.
  4. SDSPOWER01

SDSPOWER01

Kinda made a comparison of GT Sport vs Real life Red Bull Ring in the wet here.

Bear in mind I was in a custom race with real grip and slipstream settings, and I drove this with a controller since I dont have a wheel yet.

maxresdefault.jpg
    Screenshot_20190921-020749_YouTube.jpg

Enjoy...

JEverettL and usmaan like this.
  5. GT6mebe

GT6mebe

Like I said, resolution is the easy bit. The hard bit is modeling all effects to give an illusion of reality. This is a mixture of the art behind the technique used and finding novel ways to implement techniques used in science.

Most GIFS are carefully made to show the few seconds of photorealism.

JEverettL and Shingo_civic like this.
  6. anthonyfa18

anthonyfa18

we also get

Wet-Weather Scapes
    Lastly, for the shutterbugs amongst players, a new collection of Scapes allow players to douse their rides in a fine mist. You’ll find a variety of locations in the featured section, where cars’ sheetmetal can feature raindrops.

Omg wet racing at night

[​IMG]

usmaan, sirjim73, GT6mebe and 3 others like this.
  7. Vspectra

Vspectra

Best looking rain and wet shaders I've seen in a game.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. anthonyfa18

anthonyfa18

It just amazing how good it look, it’s show that PS4 pro still has life until next gen Consols

9. rhalgr

rhalgr

The reflection on the road look great! Sad that the braking lights don't seem to influence the water spray. Would be cool, if they fixed or added this with the patch.

ThePotatoKing, Racer93 and Kudos00 like this.
  10. Kevstah2004

Kevstah2004

Has anybody been able to capture lines of rainfall out the sky with the camera?, it seems to miss them and just show the spray mist.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  11. anthonyfa18

anthonyfa18

I don’t know if u can, I know I see them on my ps4 pro, I am playing in 4k and hdr on a Sony x800e 49”

And also I just fond a good replay

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    JEverettL, rhalgr and ProjectF like this.
  12. anthonyfa18

anthonyfa18

ProjectF likes this.
  13. anthonyfa18

anthonyfa18

ProjectF likes this.
  14. Mc_Yavel

Mc_Yavel

Rain effect looks gorgeous. Light effect of car and tarmac reflection during night is stunning. The spray of the car in front look real and is really cut the visibility.

The lack of wet racing line is a bit of a let down but I'm not really suprised. Still fun and challenging.

Shingo_civic, usmaan and anthonyfa18 like this.
  15. anthonyfa18

anthonyfa18

16. Titin

Titin

Its the most real wet conditions and shaders actually...but guys, after 1.46 the spray efects drops of the other cars on our cars windshield are dissapeard???it was perfect before,blown away when the others cars go in front of ours cars.bug????

And the Grass effects When the car off the road are been reduced a lot.before,the grass fall from the Wheels for 5 or 6 seconds.now ,only 1 esconde or less.

I think is a bug like was the exhaust.

Someone noticed it?

17. GTP_Ezza75

GTP_Ezza75

2 years' waiting for GT Sport's rain effects. I'm glad PD took their time and did it well. Nice eye-candy with the reflections off the track, especially with wet Tokyo at night.

I have high hopes for, and am looking forward to a wet Spa.

Honda NSX 08 @ Wet Tokyo Outer Loop

18. anthonyfa18

anthonyfa18

yess I really hope we get more tacks with wet, I would love spa at night with rain but would love to see suzuka with rain and blue moon

JEverettL likes this.
  19. Fatal1ty93RUS

Fatal1ty93RUS

Regarding the poll in the OP - I do not think PD have "maxed out" PS4. Not when we have examples of Need for Speed 2015 and Driveclub as demonstrations of what this hardware is capable of. PD may have reached the level of visual fidelity that still allows to keep consistent 60fps (which is what the series' target has been ever since GT3), and even then that's debatable

I do think that racing in the morning, evening and night looks incredible (PD just handled the lighting really well), somehow it's daytime racing that looks...kinda plain? Something just makes the game look very pastgen during those conditions.

But regardless, since PS5 is going to be much more powerful than PS4, mostly on the CPU side, I would like PD to finally start upping the polygon count on track environments, proper antialiasing (it's very poor in GTS), improved shadows (still can't solve this one since GT5, fourth time's the charm), reflections (again, mostly daytime, but here we'll have the help of native rayracing support - GT would look jawdropping with RTX ON), and PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD get rid of jpeg-quality static 2D skyboxes, it's embarassing to look at

20. FoRiZon

FoRiZon

Can we just agreed that any comparisons with any game that runs at 30FPS on all system versions (base and pro) will be thrown out of window?

21. AlexDB9

AlexDB9

I voted yes because as it has been pointed out frame rate runs at a stable 60 despite the effects so that's that.

anthonyfa18 likes this.
  22. TheNuvolari

TheNuvolari

no because Driveclub IS OUR GOD

courageC60 likes this.
  23. anthonyfa18

anthonyfa18

Why do u say driveclub is god ???

24. TheNuvolari

TheNuvolari

supposed to be yoke

25. anthonyfa18

anthonyfa18

no, I own driveclub too but u have to understand they are 2 type of games, Gran Turismo is based around simulation, drive club is a Arcade style game,

as said Earlier Drive club runs at 30fps and dose not support hdr Well Gt sport runs at 60fps and use one of the best hrd Experiences on ps4.

26. FoRiZon

FoRiZon

It was a sarcasm. Calm down.

SDSPOWER01 likes this.
  27. SDSPOWER01

SDSPOWER01

Dude, you dont have to take it too seriously.
    Driveclub is known for it's spectacular display of wet weather effects, snow and stormy conditions and to this day no sim or arcade racing has come close to what Driveclub has done.
    Therefor people say stuff like Driveclub is our god and yada yada...

Yes the advantage of driveclub is indeed 30 FPS, but it still does prove to be the best out there even in todays standard.
    They really completed what they wanted to do to make people say "woah that looks realistic".

28. anthonyfa18

anthonyfa18

ProjectF and Mc_Yavel like this.
  29. Mc_Yavel

Mc_Yavel

Gorgeous :dopey: I should play more with HUD off

30. silverman_GT

silverman_GT

That livery is so disturbingly beautiful.

ThePotatoKing and JEverettL like this.