How Did Polyphony Digital Pull Off The Rain Effects....

Has Polyphony Digital Maxed out the PS4??

• Yes

Votes: 93 37.8%
  • NO

Votes: 77 31.3%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 76 30.9%

• Total voters
Any visual gap today is largely down to texture quality (particularly trackside) and a final layer of visual effects. Those will all come with PS5. Use the high LOD models from Scape mode and you have photorealism.

@GT6mebe
Obviously details, effects, ... can be added and improved with better hardware. Sometimes i just wonder how much it will take and how many generations we will need to get high resolution pictures, GIF or videos of gameplay that is difficult to differentiate to real life.

Last edited:
Kinda made a comparison of GT Sport vs Real life Red Bull Ring in the wet here.

Bear in mind I was in a custom race with real grip and slipstream settings, and I drove this with a controller since I dont have a wheel yet.

maxresdefault.jpg

Screenshot_20190921-020749_YouTube.jpg

Enjoy...

@GT6mebe
Obviously details, effects, ... can be added and improved with better hardware. Sometimes i just wonder how much it will take and how many generations we will need to get high resolution pictures, GIF or videos of gameplay that is difficult to differentiate to real life.

Like I said, resolution is the easy bit. The hard bit is modeling all effects to give an illusion of reality. This is a mixture of the art behind the technique used and finding novel ways to implement techniques used in science.

Most GIFS are carefully made to show the few seconds of photorealism.

we also get

Wet-Weather Scapes
Lastly, for the shutterbugs amongst players, a new collection of Scapes allow players to douse their rides in a fine mist. You’ll find a variety of locations in the featured section, where cars’ sheetmetal can feature raindrops.

Omg wet racing at night

Gran-Turismo-Sport-Rainy-Tokyo-Expressway-East-Outer-Loop-01.jpg

Has anybody been able to capture lines of rainfall out the sky with the camera?, it seems to miss them and just show the spray mist.

Last edited:
Rain effect looks gorgeous. Light effect of car and tarmac reflection during night is stunning. The spray of the car in front look real and is really cut the visibility.

The lack of wet racing line is a bit of a let down but I'm not really suprised. Still fun and challenging.

Its the most real wet conditions and shaders actually...but guys, after 1.46 the spray efects drops of the other cars on our cars windshield are dissapeard???it was perfect before,blown away when the others cars go in front of ours cars.bug????

And the Grass effects When the car off the road are been reduced a lot.before,the grass fall from the Wheels for 5 or 6 seconds.now ,only 1 esconde or less.

I think is a bug like was the exhaust.

Someone noticed it?

2 years' waiting for GT Sport's rain effects. I'm glad PD took their time and did it well. Nice eye-candy with the reflections off the track, especially with wet Tokyo at night.

I have high hopes for, and am looking forward to a wet Spa.

yess I really hope we get more tacks with wet, I would love spa at night with rain but would love to see suzuka with rain and blue moon

Regarding the poll in the OP - I do not think PD have "maxed out" PS4. Not when we have examples of Need for Speed 2015 and Driveclub as demonstrations of what this hardware is capable of. PD may have reached the level of visual fidelity that still allows to keep consistent 60fps (which is what the series' target has been ever since GT3), and even then that's debatable

I do think that racing in the morning, evening and night looks incredible (PD just handled the lighting really well), somehow it's daytime racing that looks...kinda plain? Something just makes the game look very pastgen during those conditions.

But regardless, since PS5 is going to be much more powerful than PS4, mostly on the CPU side, I would like PD to finally start upping the polygon count on track environments, proper antialiasing (it's very poor in GTS), improved shadows (still can't solve this one since GT5, fourth time's the charm), reflections (again, mostly daytime, but here we'll have the help of native rayracing support - GT would look jawdropping with RTX ON), and PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD get rid of jpeg-quality static 2D skyboxes, it's embarassing to look at

supposed to be yoke

no, I own driveclub too but u have to understand they are 2 type of games, Gran Turismo is based around simulation, drive club is a Arcade style game,

as said Earlier Drive club runs at 30fps and dose not support hdr Well Gt sport runs at 60fps and use one of the best hrd Experiences on ps4.

no, I own driveclub too but u have to understand they are 2 type of games, Gran Turismo is based around simulation, drive club is a Arcade style game,

as said Earlier Drive club runs at 30fps and dose not support hdr Well Gt sport runs at 60fps and use one of the best hrd Experiences on ps4.
It was a sarcasm. Calm down.

Dude, you dont have to take it too seriously.
Driveclub is known for it's spectacular display of wet weather effects, snow and stormy conditions and to this day no sim or arcade racing has come close to what Driveclub has done.
Therefor people say stuff like Driveclub is our god and yada yada...

Yes the advantage of driveclub is indeed 30 FPS, but it still does prove to be the best out there even in todays standard.
They really completed what they wanted to do to make people say "woah that looks realistic".

Back