Punters - Hit 'Em Back, or Not?

Retaliate to punters?

• Yes, always.

Votes: 20 6.0%
  • Yes, only with sufficient offense (e.g. multiple offenses)

Votes: 184 55.6%
  • No, never.

Votes: 127 38.4%

• Total voters
hahahaha..... thing about me bro is.... separation.. this is not a major issue to me. i race in reality. so whatever is said about my driving on a game will not hurt. this is not to put anyone down, but im not going to get mad over a game... sim whatever we are calling it lol. i just thought that i would be racing against elite guys at all times.. i didn't take into account the people who really have not been playing GTx since the beginning like many of us here.

I don't really understand what you're trying to say here, because AERO_HDT pointed out some pretty dodgy driving moments in your first video. Are you trying to say that you blocked because you thought that an "elite" driver would be able avoid and go around you (for example)?

I was not and Don't block anyone, i have traded positions many times with-in a race with a person that can control his car.

now with this guy.. he was going side to side behind me. and he was clearly coming faster. normally he would pass on the right but when i came off the bank i was situated in the middle of the road.. bad on me. so im like **** which side is he going to take. i guessed wrong and he ended up hitting me.

simply put, people have pass me to win.. im not going to go out of my way to block someone becuase they have utilized position and the draft for the victory. its all fun men

i was not moving that much and a better player would have over taken me much easier.

i drive clean and with the GTP on my name, i would never do something to bring discredit to this place.

I was not and Don't block anyone, i have traded positions many times with-in a race with a person that can control his car.

now with this guy.. he was going side to side behind me. and he was clearly coming faster. normally he would pass on the right but when i came of the bank i was situated in the middle of the road.. bad on me. so im like **** which side is he going to take. i guessed wrong and he ended up hitting me.

simply put, people have pass me to win.. im not going to go out of my way to block..

i was not moving that much and a better player would have over taken me much easier.

Ok, thats cool, I was just confused by your response.

sorry about that bro... like others have mentioned. I cant wait to see private rooms. i have only played against about 5-6 GTP names.. i get so Giddy lol and its always an awesome race. I have met some other very awesome fast dudes.

my average lap at High Speed with current settings with the s2k is about 1.07-1.08 seconds. a few guys have had like 3-4 second leads on me lol.

I try to give people a chance. if they keep punting over and over again i see that it's not a drivers mistake, but on purpose. if that's the case, i will punt them if they are in my way. just to make a point. one could of course send them a message saying " not so fun when you're the one being punted off track, HUH, so stop punting others..." if you notice you'll see that often these punters are good drivers that are hard to catch up with even when you put down a decent laptime. KEEP TURNING THEM TO THE LIGHT SIDE OF RACING!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok, I've changed my mind a bit... so When they are braketesting + waving and blocking, I won't let them to have their victory. I won't punt them off, but overtake so that they can't bumb you off, usually from the inside. I just gently lean on their side and that's about it..

That I can agree with, its the best legitimate way of dealing with overly aggressive drivers.

I do hit 'em back.

I decide whethere its a purpose punt or a accidental nudge.
Punt at staights and you pining is revenge time. Punt withought braking revenge.

My revenge is in the corners when I slip into their line sneaky but effective.

i will never retailate. to me it just lowers me to their level. i usually just wait behind them patiently for them to go off track or a chance for me to pass cleanly. i would rather beat them by finishing ahead of them. i look at it this way, its just a game. i can start another a few moments later.

ps. this is my first post....👍:sly:

maybe this thread should have been called:
"punters,am i as low,or do i stand above them"...
just my thought ...

spyrrari.

I really don't like to stoop down to their level , instead ( depending on how far the race is into ) , I usually jump back on the track and try to salvage somewhat of a decent finish ( sometimes I have even come back for the victory ), if it's late in the race,lets say 1 lap to go, I sometimes just park the car in a safe haven ,out of racing line,unlike other idiots who park on the track and wait it out,collect credits and move on.I have more than enough cars,including 4 F-1's,many,many credits,so the idea of racing for credits really does not apply to myself,I just do it for the fun of it anymore,even though at times it can be very rough out there.I have been known to pm a punter and have gotten various replies ( some of which I will not post here due to the age group factor of younger racers in this forum ), by doing a pm it sometimes helps,I picked up a good on-line friend by doing a pm and letting him know about his driving tactics ,he respected me and my message,next thing I know he's requesting to " add a friend " . I waited his request out a while to see if he really was true in his words about changing his tactics. He was truthfull about his words,so I added him on the list. He turned out to be a good , clean , solid racer.

i will never retailate. to me it just lowers me to their level. i usually just wait behind them patiently for them to go off track or a chance for me to pass cleanly. i would rather beat them by finishing ahead of them. i look at it this way, its just a game. i can start another a few moments later.

ps. this is my first post....👍:sly:

Welcome TwentyValve, ... and a good sentiment 👍

Whats the point hitting punters back. we all are faster than thoes punters so we would catch up to them, pass then & pull away.

I tend to catch them and just sit behind them until they loose control (it always happens in the end due to their lack of skill) this is more satisfying imo:)

Note: when "pushing" people hang back a bit more than you would with a trusted or known racer because they often expect to be rammed back and will brake check you:grumpy:

Never punt or ram back because you are just adding to the problem by encouraging their behavior. Then after that you appear to be just as much of a Moron as they do.

-Nate

I don't normally retalliate, preferring to take the view that fair play will normally win out.
However, last night I had a few races on Daytona with the car set a 600PP, so I should have had fun working my way up through the field. For some reason, everyone seemed hell bent on keeping their place, mostly by foul means. Most times this resulted in me crashing out and ending up chasing the field from 20 - 30 secs back.
So I had a session on Fuji - same result really.
Went back to Daytona, with my tolerance level running low.
I was on the back stretch and saw a car drafting up in the mirror, so I moved over to the right next to the wall to give the guy plenty of room, intending to tuck in behind and get a tow (no other cars near). So what does he do? Punts me sideways as he passed. WHY?
One punt too many for me I'm afraid.
His PSN was TaffyBell, and I remembered several similar moves by him this same evening.
I'm afraid my valve blew, so I drafted back up to him and gave him a good shove into the wall. End of his race.
Justice done? Maybe.
Trouble was, in the next race it was obvious that his sole objective was to pay me back again. I made it obvious that there would be no shenanigans from me but it was to no avail. It was like I had a target painted on my rear bumper.
Moral - Don't make enemies.
I guess that if I come across him again, and he resumes his vendetta, I'll PM him to suggest we bury the hatchet.
Otherwise we'll spend the rest of our lives spoiling each others' racing.

I've had so much practice with punters on Fuji that I'm fast becoming 'deathproof' in my GT06. I've seen a fair few punters spin off the track in R35's after making the mistake of ramming into the back of me - trick is to watch the mirror and be expecting it. Best offence is a good defence :sly:

I've found a way of entertaining myself if I get punted out of contention. When recovered, catch the punter and pass them on one side. Then once cleanly in front let them past again on the other side, effectively driving around them in a circle without making contact. Repeat this for the rest of the race for overtaking practice. My personal best is 22 clean "laps" of a punter in 4 laps around the HSR. :dopey:

I've found a way of entertaining myself if I get punted out of contention. When recovered, catch the punter and pass them on one side. Then once cleanly in front let them past again on the other side, effectively driving around them in a circle without making contact. Repeat this for the rest of the race for overtaking practice. My personal best is 22 clean "laps" of a punter in 4 laps around the HSR. :dopey:

That is just SOOOO WIN!!!! :lol:

Oh wow, thats such an awesome idea, you should start a thread.

What better way to teach a punter the error of his ways than repeatedly overtaking them cleanly? :lol:

I've had so much practice with punters on Fuji that I'm fast becoming 'deathproof' in my GT06. I've seen a fair few punters spin off the track in R35's after making the mistake of ramming into the back of me - trick is to watch the mirror and be expecting it. Best offence is a good defence :sly:

Yes, I agree. But Daytona is a bit different from a defense point of view. The best tactic is to allow a faster car to pass on the straight, then tuck in and benefit from the tow. It's really easy to regain your place. In fact, the defensive tactic is to move aside to allow an easy pass - then there's no need for the other guy to get physical. Sadly, however, some people seem to regard the race as a "last man standing" wins.

Edit;
On the plus side - I was part of a brilliant race last night (Daytona) along with Cashwars, Manomen, and Barzam. 5 laps of close clean racing, sometimes 3 wide in the turns, drifting, and a blanket finish almost 4 wide over the line. If that was my only decent race last night, then it's all worth it.

Last edited:
I tend to catch them and just sit behind them until they loose control (it always happens in the end due to their lack of skill) this is more satisfying imo:)

Note: when "pushing" people hang back a bit more than you would with a trusted or known racer because they often expect to be rammed back and will brake check you:grumpy:

👍
Yes, I found myself doing something similar a few nights back.
If I'm punted off I normally just shrug it off and get on with it, but this guy gave me a calculated and totally unnecessary shunt (went out of his way to do it in other words) which ruined a potentially mouthwatering battle with a bunch of 4 excellent GTPers. So I hounded him mercilessly for the rest of the race, repeatedly passing him and then falling back again, and crucially, waiting for him when he spun out (due to his feeble skills) and then resuming my stalking campaign.

However, it didn't feel that good to behave like that so I'll probably leave it next time

It's a strange question to ask "How many times does someone have to deliberately ram/punt you before you retaliate"

In Desmo's example above on Daytona, once is certainly enough to know that their intentions were to ruin his race and finish as near to the front as possible:ouch:

Everyone else has rightly pointed out that retaliation helps no one and just exacerbates the problem making the punter become the punted:yuck:

The best way try to combat this is by catching up again (if possible) and passing then cleaning to show that you're not going to sink to their level of 'racing'

Sometimes this will work and sometimes won't but it's worth a try. On the whole, since december the online etiquette has come a long way but still has miles to go. Hopefully we as GTPers can all positively contribute to setting an example:)👍

Well,

As I'm mostly racing around intermediate Suzuka you can retalliate till you drop dead gorgeous. It won't matter, it doesn't do my racing well and funny as it is , I'm even not good at "getting even".
So how many times they put me off track, i'll get back and just pass them again and again if needed so ( and just that can react as a red cloth to an raging bull most of the times it seems...).
But, sometimes I just loose myself and get back in the corners at a punter who put me off track too much. Preferrably in the last lap off a race so his final is also ruined.

On the other hand, those zigzagging punters make a race a bit more exciting when starting last in the grid and then working your way up front.

Grtz

Bryan

Well I never intentionally 'ram' anything in the game, its unrealistic, with punter's if I get rammed off track, I push really hard to catchup and pass them CLEANLY, this I believe says alot about there driving!:D However if someone try's to ram me multiple times for personal gain, then I like to Race behind them and really apply the pressure! :mischievous:
Like for instance free revving behind them and using all the road, making out as if your going to pass when your just messing with them! :D
...I did this once on Suzuka, I got bashed off the track just before the straight, At the time I was...somewhat less than amused, so I chased flatout and catched up to him and was right behind him through Degner, I raced really close to him but braked early into the hairpin...he proceeded to eat kitty litter.:D This is an example of how you don't have to ram them back, just help them make a mistake all by themselves, most of these punters are pretty slow Drivers, so you should be able to catchup to them and give them some...'clean pressure', and if they handle it without making a mistake then don't even worry about it guys, hey I might not have been amused before...but I'm LMAO now!! lol:lol:
This is the way I think you can have some fun plus get back at those pathetically slow punters! Apply the pressure and let them stuff up, while you still racing clean. ;)
However this can get some punters very p!553D off at you :D so be prepared for some nasty PM's, I got a few lol!!:lol:

Last edited:
I'm back to my original stance of not retaliating and keeping my mouth shut. I went through a phase where I'd retaliate if intentionally & repeatedly punted. Then I went through a phase where I'd send a message, but like everyone else above, the results were mixed and usually made them more aggresive towards me. Lately, if I can't get around them cleanly or if they're blocking too much, I'll stay right behind them and wait until they make a mistake or let me go, that latter being quite rare.

I Drive clean 'cos you get the most satisfaction if you win but I hate punters that punt on purpose. I give 'em a bit of a nudge back if one user punts multiple times purposely. I like to suss out there stupid tactics aswell and outwit if poss without touching. Then they eat kitty litter....👍

Back