Q&A with Slightly Mad Studios: Ian Bell [Read OP]

• Thread starter Kitten
  • 3,687 comments
I had a great race in GT3 on Brands Hatch and almost got back to 1st place but on the last lap main straight I got a wheel in the grass and it sucked me in. All the way to the left before I could slow down and get back on track. Game said I took a shortcut and was gonna get a penalty.

The problem with the penalty system is single player AI. A human player will get the message to slow down to let a car pass but the AI doesn't know this and just seeing someone slowing on track. They aren't good about keeping their pace and getting around me quickly. They all slowed up and I had to blatantly move somewhere that let cars go by. Really annoying because it only built up a gap to the cars in front while I was trying to sort it out.

I had a great race in GT3 on Brands Hatch and almost got back to 1st place but on the last lap main straight I got a wheel in the grass and it sucked me in. All the way to the left before I could slow down and get back on track. Game said I took a shortcut and was gonna get a penalty.

The problem with the penalty system is single player AI. A human player will get the message to slow down to let a car pass but the AI doesn't know this and just seeing someone slowing on track. They aren't good about keeping their pace and getting around me quickly. They all slowed up and I had to blatantly move somewhere that let cars go by. Really annoying because it only built up a gap to the cars in front while I was trying to sort it out.
I'll be keeping penalties off until the turn 1 pile up carnage is fixed as often the only way to avoid a bumper in the face is going off track.

I've been joining other rooms so I don't have that control. I'd rather hope for some good rooms now that make a room and have to wait for it to get populated. I don't have the patience for that.

@IanBell , @The_American , I'm quite surprised, and disappointed, that the UDP and Button Box assignment ability aren't available on PS4 version. These two features are what set PCars ahead of all other console sims in my opinion. Without running Dash and Crew Chief, two apps I've been using for at least a year, the game feels very stripped down.

Will UDP and Button Box mapping be coming in an update soon? Are they even on the priority list? Thanks.
UDP will be enabled on consoles in an upcoming patch. I don't know what's the background of button box support.

Damn it's hard to rank up your safety rating with al the crazy people on track , i try to get my car to the finish in 1 piece , not even looking for a good position , but got bumpt out a lot. When do you rank up? it s harder to followup then driver rating.

I'm super careful at the starts and just let most people pass me. The idiots crash out after a few turns. Once they're out, I start driving normally. Also, when people behind me are catching up and pushing hard, I also let them pass rather than trying to defend my position, because I get stressed out and tend to make mistakes. I'll only start defending when I'm very used to the cars and tracks I'm driving on; while I'm still learning, I won't put up a fight.

I'm super careful at the starts and just let most people pass me. The idiots crash out after a few turns. Once they're out, I start driving normally. Also, when people behind me are catching up and pushing hard, I also let them pass rather than trying to defend my position, because I get stressed out and tend to make mistakes. I'll only start defending when I'm very used to the cars and tracks I'm driving on; while I'm still learning, I won't put up a fight.
Same strategy here , but still frustrating sometimes. I'm stil on U but cant see when i rank up.

Same strategy here , but still frustrating sometimes. I'm stil on U but cant see when i rank up.

I raced for several hours yesterday in games that had rating requirements and progressed to "F".

@IanBell in which races is safety/skill rating affected? Is it completely unaffected in games that have no rating requirements? Do practice and qualifying sessions affect ratings, and if so, are they weighted equally to race sessions? In iRacing, P and Q sessions only slightly affect safety ratings, whereas R sessions have a much higher impact.

Desperately needed as all the mics in the lobby need to be muted if you don't want hearing damage.

Yup. In every online race, the first thing I do is mute everyone, because there's always some idiot who will start whistling, farting, burping, etc. into the mic during the race to annoy everyone.

I'd gladly take breathing, whistling, farting or burping over the time someone had an open mic and their kids wandered into the room........right in the middle of the race so I couldn't mute them. Ears were damn near bleeding by the end :lol:

I'm not sure where to put this, but this is a feature request.

Mappable controls to adjust the ECU, Traction Control, ABS, etc.
To be frank, the Car Management Menu is not very user friendly. I mean, it works, but it is hardly "on the fly".
Being able to map buttons to adjust these would be ideal. The less we have to deal with the Car Management Menu the better.

And of note, as some of us had wondered, the Group C Career cars are all jumbled together. Some of the AI will be racing the Le Mans version of the cars while others will be running the normal ones. I assume the IndyCar career will be the same.

EDIT:

It cannot be expressed enough how clunky the ICM is.
Just completed an online race. Had to pit half way through for Tires. It was essentially a race of who could navigate the ICM without crashing.
I love that its there, but it needs a refresh on how it is laid out.

Also, why can you not adjust the Tire Pressures of the Tires you are changing? Either the "Crew Chief" should put Tires on with the optimal pressures or allow the user to do it.

Last edited:
I raced for several hours yesterday in games that had rating requirements and progressed to "F".

@IanBell in which races is safety/skill rating affected? Is it completely unaffected in games that have no rating requirements? Do practice and qualifying sessions affect ratings, and if so, are they weighted equally to race sessions? In iRacing, P and Q sessions only slightly affect safety ratings, whereas R sessions have a much higher impact.

I have doubts if the minimum degree of reputation works, I am getting into any lobby.

I have a question.

Is there an auto blip option?

In some cars (most of racing cars) my engine is stalling after downshifts on H-Shifter and manual clutch. In Project Cars 1 wasn't the case even on the same cars. I know that i should do Heel and Toe technique, but I am really bad with it. Any suggestions what to do with this?

On most tracks im happy if a get the Ferrari in 5th gear.
Gonna sell that 6th gear , nog using it. :)
I watched a race at Spa a few months ago and was surprised the 488 only hit 5th gear and changed to 1st for the hairpins. Guess the game is at least correct here. I think you can adjust the individual gear ratios though IIRC.. could try that if the final drive won't move.

I have a question.

Is there an auto blip option?

In some cars (most of racing cars) my engine is stalling after downshifts on H-Shifter and manual clutch. In Project Cars 1 wasn't the case even on the same cars. I know that i should do Heel and Toe technique, but I am really bad with it. Any suggestions what to do with this?

This is driving me nuts. Its like the game doesnt register the clutch disengaging, so it gets stuck on downshifts.

Only solution right now is auto clutch. Sorry, it sucks but its the only thing to solve, specially on cars like the group 5 or group c.

Its definately not about skill, its some kind of bug that doesnt read the clutch inputs

Back