Q&A with Slightly Mad Studios: Ian Bell [Read OP]

• Thread starter Kitten
  • 3,687 comments
Anyone knows if in online lobby racing there'll be an on-screen leaderboard of the racers and their positions as the race unfolds? Currently the only indication I see in Pcars 1 during the race is who is just above and below me. It would be cool if you see see all the racers listed so you can gauge the progress and interchanges during the race.
I'm pretty sure it will be the same as the offline is through TLAs. (Three Letter Abbreviations) No idea how that works online though and I'm interested in that to see if we can choose our own.

I'm pretty sure it will be the same as the offline is through TLAs. (Three Letter Abbreviations) No idea how that works online though and I'm interested in that to see if we can choose our own.

I don't mind if the names are abbreviated. At least one would have an idea of who's in what position during the race, who passes who etc. To me that's the one thing that was missing.

I don't mind if the names are abbreviated. At least one would have an idea of who's in what position during the race, who passes who etc. To me that's the one thing that was missing.
Yeah. I just want to know whether we can pick our own TLAs or how it's done.

Think I'm just noticing what I've been asking about from watching the vid. Seems like it's there in Pcars 2. Top left side of the screen, a dynamic updating leaderboard of the racers and positions. Happy...abbreviation names as Jake said. I'm fine with that.

Someone mentioned a Group a Volvo. There was a Group a Volvo in the Australian TCC. Was one of these supposed to be DLC?
bowe-volvo-group-A-car-2016.jpg

I've read that every driver starts at a rating of "U", which is the lowest rating. This makes perfect sense to me. Driver ratings should be earned, not given for free. A new game owner with no experience shouldn't be able to race in the middle of the rating system. That would completely defeat the purpose.
Here's my take on ranking system idea. Follows the most famous ESports games.

You starts off with no ranks. Then after 5-10 ranked online races, you'll given the ranks based on your perfomance and/or etiquette of said races. After that, you can either rank up or down based on the subsequent perfomance.

I agree that ratings should be earned. But it has to follow the condition the players had.

^Default, but I'm not claiming it's the best ("Best" also depends on each person). I want to try out the settings from that other video. Agree with the guy in the video about Controller Dampening, gonna mess with it more. However even with default I can easily do a LMP1/GT3 race at COTA and not lose control of the car.

Pretty sure Ian uses default also, he doesn't have time to mess around with settings etc. In fact, it was Ian's directive to us at SMS to make sure every car feels good on gamepad w/o messing with settings. Hopefully we achieved that, you guys are the ultimate judges.

Pretty sure Ian uses default also, he doesn't have time to mess around with settings etc. In fact, it was Ian's directive to us at SMS to make sure every car feels good on gamepad w/o messing with settings. Hopefully we achieved that, you guys are the ultimate judges.

I would recommend checking the car setups though. I played around with the McLaren 720s and my Xbox 360 controller and there's quite a difference between the 'Stable' and the 'OEM' setup. And smooth inputs are key to keeping it on track when using a pad. For me, the settings from the vid are a bit too twitchy, so I'm going to lower the Steering Sensitivity a bit from 45 too assist with more smooth inputs.

But what I absolutely love about the 720s (tried a few laps at Nurb combined, no aids) in this game: at low speeds, the car is extremely well manageable. Take it up a notch and it becomes progressively more difficult to keep it in check, up to the point where it tries to kill you at every corner if you really push it. Never driven a 720s in real life, but that sounds pretty much how it should be. Keep the aids to 'Authentic' and it's fairly easy to drive too.

I've lost the car quite a few times, but when I checked the speedometer I was always in the 'are you crazy' region. :lol: It's so easy to go way too fast in this car than you can handle. Love it. 👍

@IanBell , @The_American , I'm quite surprised, and disappointed, that the UDP and Button Box assignment ability aren't available on PS4 version. These two features are what set PCars ahead of all other console sims in my opinion. Without running Dash and Crew Chief, two apps I've been using for at least a year, the game feels very stripped down.

Will UDP and Button Box mapping be coming in an update soon? Are they even on the priority list? Thanks.

@IanBell, is there a possibility that the DLC tracks are 2 street circuits? If yes it's possible 2 between Adelaide, Macau or Toronto? I think this game needs more streets circuits.
When will be released the update 1.04? In this update will be added the possibility to create your own league? I expected it at the launch of game.
Thx for reply.

@The_American : you are the engineer (or was it spotter?) during race right? Why did you say it was going to rain? I came in for other tires and then all what happened were just a few drops. hahaha so much enjoying this immersive and lifelike sim. 👍

Damn it's hard to rank up your safety rating with al the crazy people on track , i try to get my car to the finish in 1 piece , not even looking for a good position , but got bumpt out a lot. When do you rank up? it s harder to followup then driver rating.

Back