Quality over Quantity (GT7)

quality or quantity

• Total voters
It's not about giving or not giving a s***, it's about Polyphony being a small, stubborn team that refuses to outsource development of game elements to other studios. For example, if they let another studio develop the AI for their game, they would not have to spend time on developing the AI, and they'd have more time to remodel PS2-era cars. But they don't, and while I hope that changes, if it doesn't, then it's better to have PS2 cars in the game than to just drop them completely. There are Standard cars that I like. I don't want them removed.

Oh shouldn't we give them food and water too? ... :)

It took PD 10 years to model about 400 unique premiums (not counting base models, livery differences, near duplicates like the Huayra etc. ). This level of production has been consistent even through the GT5 era and into GT6. How do you expect them to nearly double the premium count in 2 years or less? Unrealistic to say the least.
That's 40 cars per year, when the fewest modelers they've had this gen is over 40. Which implies each car takes over 12 man months to make.

Surely you're still missing something? Any idea what?

They made 200 between GT5 and GT6, plus a few semi Premiums. Extrapolate that.

What are
That's 40 cars per year, when the fewest modelers they've had this gen is over 40. Which implies each car takes over 12 man months to make.

What are Semi Premiums? Are those the cars that have been slightly improved for GT6, but still have no interior? Can you give me some examples?

The time for modelling won't get reduced but there will be a higher yield as opposed to before.

What I mean is, let's say right now that we get 40 new cars every 6 months. Now that there's more modelling staff, that will mean we'll get (hypothetically) 80 cars every 6 months.

Better to have a higher yield to compensate for the time taken.
That means they'll make at least 320 new cars by the time GT7 comes (if it comes in late 2016). Sounds a bit unrealistic to me.

What are

What are Semi Premiums? Are those the cars that have been slightly improved for GT6, but still have no interior? Can you give me some examples?
Yes, exactly right; the Rufs would be prime examples - check the "good / bad / ugly" thread. EDIT: here.

I forget how many they retouched (EDIT: over 70), but there would have been some that didn't make the cut. Regardless, that needs to be factored into the effort expended modeling cars.

My theory is that there will only be Premiums and semi Premiums in GT7.

You can probably expect another 200 full Premiums by GT7, regardless.

Last edited:
Yes, exactly right; the Rufs would be prime examples - check the "good / bad / ugly" thread.

I forget how many they retouched , but there would have been some that didn't make the cut. Regardless, that needs to be factored into the effort expended modeling cars.

Semipremiums instead of standards is a good deal for me, i mean, look at those Rufs.

Yes, exactly right; the Rufs would be prime examples - check the "good / bad / ugly" thread.

I forget how many they retouched , but there would have been some that didn't make the cut. Regardless, that needs to be factored into the effort expended modeling cars.

There's no way all of them are going to be converted to Semi-Premium if it's released in 2016. There's going to be at least 100 Standard cars remaining in GT7. Or they could postpone it for 2017 and fix all the cars.
Anyway, only 100 Standard cars wouldn't be that bad, but some cars really need work, for example Nissan Option Stream Z, it has horrible pixelated textures that need to be fixed ASAP.

There's no way all of them are going to be converted to Semi-Premium if it's released in 2016. There's going to be at least 100 Standard cars remaining in GT7. Or they could postpone it for 2017 and fix all the cars.
Anyway, only 100 Standard cars wouldn't be that bad, but some cars really need work, for example Nissan Option Stream Z, it has horrible pixelated textures that need to be fixed ASAP.
Or 100 clones will be eliminated, there should be at least one miata or one Rx7 to put away.

Or 100 clones will be eliminated, there should be at least one miata or one Rx7 to put away.
That is true. There are at least 3 duplicate models from each of these manufacturers to remove: Nissan, Mazda, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Honda. Even if that's just 15 less cars to worry about, it doesn't make as little difference as it looks like.

I imagine they'll convert as many as they can and drop the rest. The Option Z is a prime candidate for removal, especially if we get a livery editor...

EDIT: this list has 180 semi Premium entries, many of them are the duplicates. So 100 unique models is probably a good guess. That means 400 cars, unique or not, need to be converted to semi Premium or dropped.

I'd wager that a semi Premium takes less than half the time to model (and only model) than a full Premium. So, as long as the other tasks per car don't take longer than that, that could be a significant boost.

Last edited:

There were less than 100 new unique premiums for GT6. About 30 DLC from GT5 but a few like the BRZ/GT86 were duplicates of each other. I don't count base models, different liveries or different trim packages as new cars. That's about 120/3 years. Not sure where you get 200 from even if you count all the duplicates, base models and liveries.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/local/jp/data1/products/gt6/carlist_en.html

The time for modelling won't get reduced but there will be a higher yield as opposed to before.

What I mean is, let's say right now that we get 40 new cars every 6 months. Now that there's more modelling staff, that will mean we'll get (hypothetically) 80 cars every 6 months.

Better to have a higher yield to compensate for the time taken.
Show me where you've ever gotten 40 new unique premiums (not slightly different versions of a car already in the game) cars in 6 months. That's just completely made up.

Last edited:
I imagine they'll convert as many as they can and drop the rest. The Option Z is a prime candidate for removal, especially if we get a livery editor...

EDIT: this list has 180 semi Premium entries, many of them are the duplicates. So 100 unique models is probably a good guess. That means 400 cars, unique or not, need to be converted to semi Premium or dropped.

I'd wager that a semi Premium takes less than half the time to model (and only model) than a full Premium. So, as long as the other tasks per car don't take longer than that, that could be a significant boost.
That's all true, they should definitely convert as many Standards as possible and drop the rest, but I don't want them dropping more than 100 cars from the game. There are no more than 100 unwanted duplicates.

There were less than 100 new unique premiums for GT6. About 30 DLC from GT5 but a few like the BRZ/GT86 were duplicates of each other. I don't count base models, different liveries or different trim packages as new cars. That's about 120/3 years. Not sure where you get 200 from even if you count all the duplicates, base models and liveries.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/local/jp/data1/products/gt6/carlist_en.html
It was just a very rough guess based on 200 premiums in GT5, 400 in GT6.

Include duplicates on the basis that the duplication rate is constant from game to game, roughly. Can reassess as necessary.

1042 cars in GT5, 69 DLC. 122 new to GT6, ignore GT6's DLC because not indicative of production rate yet.

191 total inc. duplicates. Plus 180 semi Premiums including duplicates, which I estimate at half effort.

Duplicate rate is 22% according to you, which means 191 cars is 156 "unique", in two years, i.e. 78 per year. (EDIT: 40 per year is a duplication rate of 100%.)

Almost double your claim, before accounting for the semi premiums.

Last edited:
I got 82 either being a duplicate of a Premium or of another Semi-Premium, without taking the time to actually go through the thread and try to find comparisons (might bump it up a few). Not as bad as I was expecting considering the initial glut of it was the made up Miatas and RX-7s. I was assuming there would be a lot more Skylines since there were already Premium versions of all 3 generations. Wonder why they held off on those, or the other odd ones left off.

I got 82 either being a duplicate of a Premium or of another Semi-Premium, without taking the time to actually go through the thread and try to find comparisons (might bump it up a few). Not as bad as I was expecting considering the initial glut of it was the made up Miatas and RX-7s. I was assuming there would be a lot more Skylines since there were already Premium versions of all 3 generations. Wonder why they held off on those, or the other odd ones left off.
I think they were targeting the models with the most duplicates, which makes sense to a degree. Maybe the Skylines were still in progress.

Is it reasonable to assume that models intended for the full Premium treatment won't have been Semi Premiumificated in the interim?

It was just a very rough guess based on 200 premiums in GT5, 400 in GT6.

Include duplicates on the basis that the duplication rate is constant from game to game, roughly. Can reassess as necessary.

1042 cars in GT5, 69 DLC. 122 new to GT6, ignore GT6's DLC because not indicative of production rate yet.

191 total inc. duplicates. Plus 180 semi Premiums including duplicates, which I estimate at half effort.

Duplicate rate is 22% according to you, which means 191 cars is 156 "unique", in two years, i.e. 78 per year. (EDIT: 40 per year is a duplication rate of 100%.)

Almost double your claim, before accounting for the semi premiums.
I don't know why you're using these roundabout deductions when the actual numbers are available. I linked above:
The exact number of unique premiums in GT6 can be found here

GT5 DLC + Spec 2.0 DLC is here

Take out all the duplicates or near duplicates (C7 Test Prototype and Final Prototype is the same car, different skin - 3 identical karts, different motors - 2011 Nascar Cars, counted as 11, but it's 3 cars with 11 liveries etc.)

The GT6 additional unique premiums + GT5 DLC + Spec 2.0 is their total output for 3 years of unique premium cars.

Your numbers are way off and full of assumptions that are unnecessary when the actual data is there.

I don't know why you're using these roundabout deductions when the actual numbers are available. I linked above:
The exact number of unique premiums in GT6 can be found here

GT5 DLC + Spec 2.0 DLC is here

Take out all the duplicates or near duplicates (C7 Test Prototype and Final Prototype is the same car, different skin - 3 identical karts, different motors - 2011 Nascar Cars, counted as 11, but it's 3 cars with 11 liveries etc.)

The GT6 additional unique premiums + GT5 DLC + Spec 2.0 is their total output for 3 years of unique premium cars.

Your numbers are way off and full of assumptions that are unnecessary when the actual data is there.
There will continue to be duplicates added with new models. We can go on the fact that the level of duplication is likely to decrease overall, and conservatively state that it will stay the same.

You implied that they only make 40 a year (400 in ten years), which is way off because you're basing that on a very unproductive lead up (GTHD Mk.1) and an average number of modelers much lower than it is today.

I used your own 100 unique cars figure to estimate a 22% duplication rate in the new material, and got 78 unique cars per year.

There's still the semi Premiums.

Last edited:
There will continue to be duplicates added with new models. We can go on the fact that the level of duplication is likely to decrease overall, and conservatively state that it will stay the same.

You implied that they only make 40 a year (400 in ten years), which is way off because you're basing that on a very unproductive lead up (GTHD Mk.1) and an average number of modelers much lower than it is today.

I used your own 100 unique cars figure to estimate a 22% duplication rate in the new material, and got 78 unique cars per year.

There's still the semi Premiums.
What? Its 100 new unique premiums + 30ish DLC from GT5-GT6. In 3 years. How exactly does that equal 78?

Right..130/3 = 52...gotcha...now that we've cleared that up...
130 "ish", you said. Mine's ish, too. If you've counted them all and accounted for the unique interiors, extra modeling on exteriors and the true cost of a reskin for some of the "duplicates" like the NASCAR and TC cars, let me know.

The real number is still more than 40. Substantially more in practice.

On which note, let's turn to the semi Premiums. How much are they worth?

EDIT: I can't believe we got this far without realising Standard to Premium conversions aren't accounted for.

Last edited:
130 "ish", you said. Mine's ish, too. If you've counted them all and accounted for the unique interiors, extra modeling on exteriors and the true cost of a reskin for some of the "duplicates" like the NASCAR and TC cars, let me know.

The real number is still more than 40. Substantially more in practice.

On which note, let's turn to the semi Premiums. How much are they worth?

EDIT: I can't believe we got this far without realising Standard to Premium conversions aren't accounted for.
No, the real number is around 40 and the same in practice. The modeling effort that went into the standard to semi-premium conversion doesn't add any new premiums into the game and that's what I'm talking about, not a measure of "total modeling effort". And since we can't quantify it in any way because we don't know how long it takes to do a conversion it's meaningless. It might only take a week to brush up a car, meaning 26 conversions = 1 premium car, almost inconsequential. Even the VGT's I wouldn't count as a full car because they have no interior. They are pretty on the outside but without a cockpit they are just semi-premiums and not up to the full "premium" status of other cars or other sims.

Last edited:
No, the real number is around 40 and the same in practice. The modeling effort that went into the standard to premium conversion doesn't add any new premiums into the game and that's what I'm talking about, not a measure of "total modeling effort".
Er... Why not? If the goal is to measure PD's average level of production per year, it should encompass everything they've modeled to Premium quality, shouldn't it? I mean, the Ford GT obviously wasn't a huge expenditure of effort, but things like the Lotus Europa still were.

iirc, all of the Standard to Premium conversions were already counted as new cars in GT6 anyway in the official lists. Though apparently Johnny wasn't counting them?

Er... Why not? If the goal is to measure PD's average level of production per year, it should encompass everything they've modeled to Premium quality, shouldn't it? I mean, the Ford GT obviously wasn't a huge expenditure of effort, but things like the Lotus Europa still were.

iirc, all of the Standard to Premium conversions were already counted as new cars in GT6 anyway in the official lists. Though apparently Johnny wasn't counting them?
My mistake, typing too fast. I did count them, they are all at the forefront of this list. What I meant to say was the semi-premiums shouldn't count in the total, which is why I referred to them as possibly taking a week to "brush up", which obviously isn't possible with a full premium car, but could be possible for a premiumized standard. Griffith is trying to assert that it's all part of the modeling effort of PD and skews my 40/year figure because it doesn't include re-skins and premiumized standards and I assert that it's impossible to quantify that effort and that it may be nearly inconsequential anyway. I'd rather measure what I can actually measure and count, which is unique premiums.
Sorry for the confusion. I added the single missing word and it all makes sense now:banghead:

Last edited:
Not all : The 2000Gt, the 2 Lancers, the Sauber C9 aren't counted as new. But yeah, almost every converted to premium are listed as new

Back