R/C car thread!

@Venom800tt not sure if I ever shared this, but here is my FCX24 - love this little truck.

Got the McCue extended rear links and extended Gladiator driveshaft. a few more upgrades as well. ;)

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoURP0hyR8vqyu0yQ8EVzd3JkrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUSVegqnBxp_VXYvIsPlGb2L5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoUQrLArwX_WlQ6OwaNwm2xj0aAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA

00-eIV3cRqx4E_MB345skzpAJiPdsc69UFZGsGqTxmqoURfJdAtE1QajGEnd7dNzSUQrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A

Put the metal portal gears in and haven't looked back, this is probably the best climbing truck I have overall. I call it "Blue Billy"... as in goat. Billy Goat. LOL!!

took a road trip this weekend up to the Monster Truck Hall Of Fame museum for the first ever Midwest Nationals...
my whole team made it to the round of 8 (out of nearly 70 trucks)
and I brought home our host's pick award in the show-n-shine

Attachments

• 20230813_122201.jpg
    20230813_122201.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 9
Just want to say that I am totally new to the RC hobby as of this week, I know pretty much nothing but I am super excited to learn things and dive into it.

I had some off-the-shelf Toys R Us RC cars as a kid, but that is as far as it got. Having so many hobbies already I always kinda brushed RC off as a money pit I should avoid. But somehow my brother and I got talking about it and each of us grabbed ready to go RC off-roaders: the Traxxas TRX-4M, a small 1/18 scale entry level car. Mine with the Ford Bronco body and my brother got a Land Rover Defender version.
20240123_163343.jpg

I took it out in the snow and it's surprisingly capable and more fun than I care to admit. My yard is very hilly and I was climbing pretty easily!
20240119_121423.jpg

Already ordered a bunch of parts/spare parts and tools to get more into modifying the thing including a light kit.
20240123_114640.jpg

20240123_114631.jpg

RC is a dangerous path where much fun can be had ;)
And here are some more recent pics of both additions and existing stuff:
Kyosho Mini Z Buggy brushless:

And with my older brushed one:

Kyosho Fazer MKII:

And after putting a 3S battery in it:

Mini Z 4x4:

Was messing with my old modified HPI Micro RS4 recently:

And finally added lights to my RC4WD/JDModel Overland 6x6:

So I have a Tayima TA-04R chassis that is in need of repair, but I've been having a hard time finding parts, and when I do, they're in Japan, incredibly expensive, with really pricey shipping options. It doesn't seem worth it to find it, even though I like the car and have had it for 20 years. My son wants to get into R/C car and I'm more than happy to oblige because I can use the excuse with my wife that "it's a father and son bonding thing". I'm not sure I want to start with a car though since they're fast and my son will have a hard time controlling it, so I'm leaning towards rock crawlers.

After looking around, I found this:
1712238077339.png

It's a Team Associated Enduro Trailrunner, it's ready to run, and more importantly, looks like the 4Runner. I'm not crazy about it being ready to run since building an R/C car is half the fun, but I can deal with it. I guess my question is, has anyone actually used this chassis? Also, what else should I be looking at? My budget is around $500 and I'd, ideally, like to have a 4Runner body. I don't know if there are 4Runner bodies out there, but I know Proline makes a few different Toyotas.

The good thing is, a hobby shop specializing in R/C vehicles just opened up down the street from my house (which is weird because I live in the middle of no where). They stock Traxxas, Tekno, Team Associated, Kyosho, and Mugen Seiki. I want to buy the vehicle from them since I want to support the business. They also have a crawler course and a road track (both indoor and outdoor) that you can use for free if you buy the vehicle from them. Since they're so close, I suspect I'll be there frequently with my son.

The Enduro Trailrunner (and the similar Knightrunner) are a bit more trail truck than hard core rock crawler than the normal Enduro line. This is due to the IFS system, though the revised system in some of the other trucks is better. I do want to get a Knightrunner to make it into a more scale truck sometime though...
Also got this:

So the hobby shop ended up being able to get Axial vehicles, so I went with an SCX10 III. The first thing that's going to go is the Jeep body. I have a Hilux body that I need to get painted and trimmed, but it will be much better with a Toyota body on it instead of a Jeep. Unfortunately, while the truck itself came in the batteries did not (they should be in today) so I could play around with it last night.

1713533365218.png

Other than the body, I'm going to swap over the tires and wheels at some point too. I'm sure they're fine, but BFG and Method both have RC parts and I'm keen on both of those over Nitto and KMC. Other than that though, I'll probably add some brass parts at some point too to get the center of gravity lower, but for the time being my son and I are just going to run it how it is out of the box.

Recently got into rc drifting at my local track. Got a Sakura D5 Lite which basically uses Tamiya M chassis sized bodies between 210 and 239mm depending on the configuration. I wanted to run the weirdest body for a drift car so I took a Tamiya 2CV rally body and and weathered it to look as ratty and rusty as possible.
Screenshot_20240322_153907.jpg
Screenshot_20240322_153901.jpg
Screenshot_20240322_153855.jpg
Screenshot_20240322_153849.jpg
Screenshot_20240322_153843.jpg

Does pretty well and it's hilarious to see on track. 😅

Last edited:
Took my new 1/10 Fiesta rally car to a baseball field to thrash it around in the dirt and had an absolute blast, seriously fun thing this is. The car effortlessly slides around and kicks up dirt.
1000016773.jpg

I am still new to the RC world but I wonder why the inside is completely exposed like this to collect dirt all over the components? Why not have wheel liner or something to minimize the dirt getting in? I would imagine that the abrasive dirt getting on or in the driveshaft like that while spinning isn't going to be good over time.
1000016774.jpg

Well, since Traxxas, just hose it off.
Tamiya and many others have under trays.

Traxxas is great. Jump it. Have fun. Hose it off. Do it again.
Definitely, just wondering that if there were a way to cover it up it would be a lot easier to clean and keep in good shape. Not a big deal or anything, I am just thinking out loud, like I said I am new to the hobby and I want to maintain it properly.

Recently sold my TRX4 sport builders kit because I wanted something a little more capable on the trail. Someone I know was offloading their Redcat Ascent Fusion for pretty cheap so I snagged it off him. Also picked up an Element Zuul 2 body as I wasn't the biggest fan of the stock Ascent body. And since I'm not a fan of pristine looking rigs I decided to weather the truck and here's the end results.
20240421_140025.jpg
20240421_140033.jpg
20240421_172102.jpg

It's bit of a placeholder body for now. I'm probably gonna eventually get the proline comp wagon body for this eventually.

Back