R/C car thread!

Hey! A few years back I built an Axial Exo kit. I never got around to painting the body, firstly because I really don't enjoy painting and secondly because I could not decide on a design. Anyway, I threw it onto a shelf and forgot about it. Recently, I picked it back up and I find myself with the same body design dilemma I was in before! :banghead: If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them! I'd like to make this thing look like a scale race buggy. I'll update with some work-in-progress photos soon.

I went through several paint jobs on my Exo buggy, between two sets of body panels. Originally when my friend built it, it was this copper color:
100_6099s.jpg

Which then became this:
100_6301s.jpg

After that is when I bought my 2nd body panel set, which I painted orange:
IMAG0202.jpg

And when I got tired of the orange, it got repainted as well:
IMAG0499.jpg

And right now, my Exo sits behind me, needing a new ESC as I burnt the other one up on accident...
Might swap in an ESC stolen from my Tamiya TB-04 touring car tho...

Awesome! I really dig the mods you've done to it (or at least the mods I can see from the pictures). Those shocks for the front skid plate are brilliant. I'd like to relocate the rear shocks as you have. Is that an STRC Brace? From what I've seen, it looks like that brace has to be bent to allow for the shock to fit between it and the frame. Is that correct?

As of now, I have a pretty low-end power-plant and other related hardware, but I don't have a need for anything more intense. I guess if it ain't broke, don't replace it.

Last night I painted the raised lettering on the stock tires. It's not a perfect job but I think they turned out great! I hope it lasts, but it's just paint pen so I doubt it.

IMG_1807.JPG

Last edited:
Yeah, those are STRC braces, flipped around to work with my shock relocation. Also have a carbon fiber front brace behind the front diff, Vanquish motor mount, and some other random mods. Uses a Castle Creations motor/ESC combo and a Savox steering servo.

I remember I blew a POS Futaba servo in the less than one hour combined total run-time I had on this car, then I replaced it with the same model. When this servo blows out again I'll go for a higher end one like a Savox which seems to overwhelmingly be the servo of choice. I am also running a Radient Reaktor on an NiMH.

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/championship/mclaughlin-stars-in-virtual-app/
Volvo Car Australia is leveraging its team sponsorship of V8 Supercars in an innovative way with the launch of a new racing app.

The app puts V8 Supercars fans behind the wheel in a virtual challenge against Volvo driver Scott McLaughlin on a flying lap of the Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000.

The Välkommen by Volvo app uses patented HARK technology from mobile agency Mnet, which cleverly listens out for audio triggers from a second screen and syncs up the application to enable users to control the game on their mobile devices.

Following onscreen prompts, users can race their virtual V8 ‘car’ on screen via their mobile device as the app compares their physical actions – braking, accelerating and turning – versus actual hot lap footage of Scott McLaughlin on the famous Mt Panorama racing circuit.

Players who download the app can sign up to be part of a leaderboard, and at the end of the 2016 V8 Supercars racing season have the chance to win McLaughlin’s own Volvo V60 Polestar car worth $87,000. The Swedish carmaker is also giving away monthly prizes of a remote control Volvo S60 V8 Supercar, and family passes to its hospitality at selected V8 events.

New to this site. I am on rcgroups.com too. Didnt know this thread was here. I asked around on rcgroups and not having much luck finding what I am looking for. SoI am broadening my search. I have a 1/10 HPI RS4 3 evo+ with some upgraded parts and a very rare 200mm Tuscun speed 6 bodyshell with a hypershift paintjob on black replica enkei rims and foam tires and a simulated real car light kit on a turnigy remote switch. Ran by a flysky fs-GT3C transmitter and reciever. Im looking for a sidemount rear exit exhaust kit for it. I cant seem to find one. Does any one know where I might be able to acquire one or ideas on a DIY custom conversion. Please enlighten me. Im open to all ideas and suggestions.
Sorry post is so long.
I found a good description of the car your trying to upgrade gets better and faster responses.
Thank you.

New to this site. I am on rcgroups.com too. Didnt know this thread was here. I asked around on rcgroups and not having much luck finding what I am looking for. SoI am broadening my search. I have a 1/10 HPI RS4 3 evo+ with some upgraded parts and a very rare 200mm Tuscun speed 6 bodyshell with a hypershift paintjob on black replica enkei rims and foam tires and a simulated real car light kit on a turnigy remote switch. Ran by a flysky fs-GT3C transmitter and reciever. Im looking for a sidemount rear exit exhaust kit for it. I cant seem to find one. Does any one know where I might be able to acquire one or ideas on a DIY custom conversion. Please enlighten me. Im open to all ideas and suggestions.
Sorry post is so long.
I found a good description of the car your trying to upgrade gets better and faster responses.
Thank you.
The only rear exhaust kit I remember for the RS4 Evo 3 is this one. Although, IIRC the drift version of the RS4 had a rear exhaust that could possibly be retrofitted to the normal Evo 3. I had thought about getting a rear exhaust for my RS4 Evo 3 years ago, but never did.

The only rear exhaust kit I remember for the RS4 Evo 3 is this one. Although, IIRC the drift version of the RS4 had a rear exhaust that could possibly be retrofitted to the normal Evo 3. I had thought about getting a rear exhaust for my RS4 Evo 3 years ago, but never did.

Its discontinued:( so there isnt one currently available?

Didn't realize this thread existed! Anyways, here's my Slash 4x4 VXL with my Proline Bronco body. Basically still stock on 2s and sway bars. Plan on going 3s eventually. Never had an RC car that a stability control system like mine has and I gotta say, it makes driving in the snow ridiculously fun. The only problem with the traxxas tsm system is how much it eats away at tires!
20160925_214529.jpg

I just fished out two old but decent toy grade 90's RC cars which worked fine when I packed them away years and years ago. Now when I put all new fresh batteries in both are glitching, twitching, jerking with any input.

I get things like steering twitching, unresponsiveness, stuttering and the motor suddenly switching between forward and reverse.

Could someone explain what might be causing this? Forgive me as I don't know much about RC.

Thanks

I just fished out two old but decent toy grade 90's RC cars which worked fine when I packed them away years and years ago. Now when I put all new fresh batteries in both are glitching, twitching, jerking with any input.

I get things like steering twitching, unresponsiveness, stuttering and the motor suddenly switching between forward and reverse.

Could someone explain what might be causing this? Forgive me as I don't know much about RC.

Thanks

The cause could be something as easy as the servo need to be reset. or could be the servos are bad. worse case senario is the internal componants in the controller are no good. which happends over time.

The cause could be something as easy as the servo need to be reset. or could be the servos are bad. worse case senario is the internal componants in the controller are no good. which happends over time.

I was wondering how it could have developed such faults sitting in a box. As they are toy grade hardly anything is serviceable like the servo's but I will have a look inside the cars and controllers at some point to check the circuitry and wiring.

Do transmitting electronics deteriorate over time even if they are not in use? I know traditional radio crystals experience frequency drift with age but does this also affect RC?

I was wondering how it could have developed such faults sitting in a box. As they are toy grade hardly anything is serviceable like the servo's but I will have a look inside the cars and controllers at some point to check the circuitry and wiring.

Do transmitting electronics deteriorate over time even if they are not in use? I know traditional radio crystals experience frequency drift with age but does this also affect RC?
I would presume since most toy grade cars are generally one giant printed circuit board, it's going to be some kind of fault in that - what you've described does sound in line with interference though, so it could be something along those lines. It's generally very hard to diagnose a fault with toy grade cars, and fixing it probably won't be any easier.

Not much traffic in this thread and I didn't even realize this one existed. Figured I would whore out my R/C cars a bit. :P

Front Wheel Drive R/C's

Tamiya FF03R

enhance

Tamiya FF04

enhance

enhance

VBC FF17 (bonus shot of Victor the Vanagon in the background)

enhance

4 Wheel Drive touring cars

Team Associated TC6.1 Worlds Car (gone but not forgotten)

enhance

enhance

Team Associated TC7 & VBC Lightning 12M

enhance

Team Associated TC7.1 (Woo-Hoo 👍 )

enhance

enhance

1/12th scale
My new Team Associated 12R6 1/12th scale!! :bowdown:

enhance

enhance

My "old" paint job

enhance

Almost forgot, my VBC Lightning 10 WGT-R pan car.

enhance

enhance

Been messing around with my RC cars, trying to get as many of them functional as possible. Basically trying to have a couple "guest cars", for friends to drive without me having to give up my car/transmitter. Two are Tamiya TT-01's and the other is a Tamiya TB-04, which I hard originally traded for a plane but somehow ended up back in my collection lol...

Left to right:
Axial Exo Terra Buggy
RC4WD Trail Finder 2
Axial SCX-10
Tamiya TA-06
Tamiya TB-04
Tamiya TT-01
Tamiya TT-01 (rally modded)
HPI Nitro RS4 Evo 3

Picked up a new to me Vaterra Twin Hammers, should be here Tuesday.

enhance

Raced my Team Associated B6D yesterday, too.

enhance

After 3 rds of qualifying, was 2nd. Broke in the main. :rolleyes:
But had a ton of fun, and getting back in the groove of racing - getting better and more consistent each time we race.

Finished the body on my other Team Associated F6 chassis. Need to finish the helmet and decal it up. RB didn't come out too bad - need to get an airbrush so I could have put the purple color under the Inifinti on the side pod - but it still came out okay.

enhance

enhance

luckily those warmers are pretty cheap...
those are good trucks, I had the twin motor electric version for awhile, fast and pretty tough, I just wanted a more realistic moving monster.

I have considered putting my small FPV cam on my buggy, but never got around to doing it lol. I REALLY need to take it apart and rebuild the center diff on that thing....
Anyway, I finally got and built that Tamiya TA-07 I had been wanting for a while:
mqVQ7Od.jpg

Then stuck on the Tamiya FD RX-7 body I decided to work on:
KdbRowq.jpg

*EDIT*
Messed with said buggy a bit:
e47QhbZh.jpg

*EDIT AGAIN*
More stuff:
Ipnf6skh.jpg

Last edited:

I really enjoy slow motion RC cars and the workings of the suspension.

You should check out some of the RC construction vehicle videos on YouTube, they can be pretty fascinating to watch.

Back