R8 LMS ultra 15th anniv tuning woe....

• Thread starter millross
  • 99 comments
I've been trying and failing to make this thing go round a track without being ridiculously cautious in some turns (most turns are ok in 3rd/4th or when braking straight) Try it at Daytona - turn one is almost impossible at speed. I've tried high and low camber, soft springs, hard springs, low ride height, high ride height and various lsd settings....

Anyone got the magic touch? Or is this car just permanently a handful.....
I got it I'm still working on it tho high speed braking pulls left or right but I can get it around Suzuka :)

Weight further to the rear, rear downforce, 0.00 camber rear are key as well as reducing the sharpness of the turn in. I still think there is an issue with the physics in a sense the low speed spins seems odd. Losing it at 50mph round the carousel is all too easy...

D_M
Guys, here is my attempt at the R8 that I posted in another thread. I am using a wheel, so it might not work for Pad users. Tires were race hards.

Ride Height: 85/85
Brakes: 3/2
Springs: 13.72/16.84
Compression: 3/3
Extension: 2/2
Anti-Roll Bar: 1/1
Camber: 0.5/1.7
Toe: 0.22 / 0.54
Diff: 10/54/36
Downforce: 250/758
Thank you for making the car so much more forgiving :).

Got the R8 LMS Ultra Phoenix updated for 1.03, only tweaked the suspension and LSD, stock aero and weight, 599PP and RH tire, capable of 1:22s at Brands Hatch GP and 2:04s at Bathurst. Just as quick as the other GT3 cars.

AUDI R8 LMS Ultra (Audi Sport Team Phoenix) '12 RIDOX ver. 528HP 1250kg - NEW UPDATE Ver 1.03
Tuned on Racing Hard

CAR : Audi R8 LMS Ultra ( Audi Sports Team Phoenix ) '12
Tire : Racing Hard

Specs
Horsepower: 528 HP at 8000 RPM
Torque: 397.8 ft-lb at 6500 RPM
Power Limiter at : 100%
Weight: 1250 kg
Ballast : 0 kg
Ballast Position : 0
Weight Distribution : 45 / 55 as stock
Performance Points: 599

GT AUTO
No oil change yet - feel free to do so.
Improve Body Rigidity ( optional - not installed in this build ) - there's no bad side effect of this, highly recommended.
Wheels : Stock
Car Paint : Stock

Tuning Parts Installed :
Racing Exhaust
Suspension Fully Customizable Kit
Adjustable LSD
Racing Brakes Kit

AERO :
Downforce Front / Rear : 350 / 730 ( STOCK - please adjust according to track ) - try to maintain 250-500 gap value between front and rear or adjust to suit your style ( less gap will make the car looser in high speed + slight top speed increase less rear used )

LSD - 2 way high preload - improved
Initial Torque : 30
Acceleration Sensitivity: 22
Braking Sensitivity: 46
Higher braking to reduce rear chatter when coasting and trail braking, reduced acceleration to reduce understeer and sudden changes in traction when under extreme load, initial torque optimized for balance between stability and response.

Suspension
Front, Rear

Ride Height: 75 85
Spring Rate: 14.45 20.50 ( medium setup )
Dampers (Compression): 6 4
Dampers (Extension): 7 10
Anti-Roll Bars: 6 3
Camber Angle: 0.2 0.0 ( alters the balance of grip between front and rear - higher camber up front reduce the front sensitivity to steering to make it less twitchy ) I recommend between 0.2 to 1.2 - adjust to style and track.
Toe Angle: -0.10 0.10 - increase rear toe in if want more stability, I recommended no more than 0.24

For Spring Rate F/R- alternative soft setup : 11.24 / 15.97 or hard setup : 17.94 / 25.47 or super hard : 19.64 / 27.88 -TESTED

Transmission

Stock gearing, only alter final to suit track.

Brake Balance - IMPORTANT IN THIS BUILD :
9/5 ( personal BB) or for ABS 0 wheel : 3/2, for ABS 1 - feel free to use your preferred brake balance.

Recommended setting for DS3 user :

Steering sensitivity at +1 or +2, all aids off, except ABS 1 ( if not comfortable with ABS 0 ) with 5/4 brake balance as starting point.

Notes :
This tune is made to help drivers tame the car, as the stock base setup is not very friendly and has too much front grip bias.

The camber quirk of zero value giving more instantaneous grip is used to alter the balance of the car when coasting and in mid corner to exit ( sustained grip during cornering seems to be fine and works as it should with camber changes ).
Brake balance set to rear bias helped the car under braking instability, the 2 way LSD also helped giving better traction both on and off throttle. All it takes some minor adjustment and the car becomes much better to drive, stable, and quick.

Tuned and tested at Brands Hatch GP, Bathurst, Silverstone Stowe, Apricot Hill, Nordschleife and Silverstone Full Track.

The R8 LMS Ultra Team Phoenix ver 1.03 able to lap Brands Hatch GP at 1:22s easily ( PB 1:22.2xx stock gearing, stock aero with the above tune ) and Mt Panorama Bathurst at consistent 2:05s ( PB 2:04s ) using stock aero + gearing - same tune above ( LSD and suspension ). All on Racing Hard, stock power no oil change.

The tune has also been tested with max power setup at over 900HP, works great, adjust gearing, aero and spring rate according to the track, enjoy :cheers:

A video of the car when tested during tuning session ( 2:07 at Mt Panorama ) ver. 1.02 tune :

UPDATE : Suspension has been revised, better stability and more responsive steering :)

NEW UPDATE ver 1.03 : Suspension and LSD has been overhauled, now it's several seconds faster around Brand Hatch GP and Bathurst on 599PP. Stability improved mid corner and exit, entry also improved a bit.

Added Note for top speed run ride height and spring rate :

Easy fix : increase ride height to max, you see, when running at very high speed, the low clearance causes the suspension to bottom out as the downforce pushes the car downward :) Try this : set lowest downforce front and back, keep all else the same as my tune above, except max ride height. Drive to top speed at SSRX with full power 900+HP, you will notice the car gets harder to steer as it reach top speed, and no more nasty spins ( try lowest ride height for giggles ) -- BEWARE with highest ride height, meaning highest drag - lower top speed and heavy steering :)
ALTERNATIVELY : Set hardest spring rate set on my tune : 19.64kg/mm front and 27.88kg/mm rear, with min downforce ( allow highest top speed ), set ride height to 80 front and 80 rear, with this setup I can top 400kmh and maintain 390+kmh at the banked turn with great maneuverability :) If want to experiment, lower ride height both front and rear by 1mm until you find the sweet spot :) :cheers:
EDIT : Testing 70mm front and rear ATM, with min DF and hardest spring set as on tune post :)
-- result : 407kmh top speed, stable on straight, weaved and changed lanes without drama :), but unstable on the banked turn when moving up and down the lane -have to be extra careful when moving from top to bottom lane :( I would increase to 72mm to be safe.
Testing 60mm front and rear :
-- result : stable on the straight, but a bit nervous in quick lane change. 414kmh top speed - not bad. BAD news, spins immediately when entering the banked turn at full speed, highly unstable there.
I would recommend ride height of 70mm as minimum, with extra care when changing lanes on banked turn, 72 or 75 would be my best bet.
This is good experiment, looks like the aero works great in 1.03 :)
BTW, this is all done on the tune posted above ( with max power ) and Racing Hard tire.

Added note at the bottom of the tune for top speed and banked turn ( Daytona , SSRX etc) setup, harder spring rate and minimum ride height to avoid bottoming out and spin out at high speed.

Last edited:
Not bad, any times on RS's at Bathurst? Just out of curiosity

No, sorry, I never use RS tire :( They are usually overkill in grip level, but at a track like Bathurst, with same 599PP and setup ( stock aero, gearing + weight ) - I can see sub 2 minutes, maybe easy 1:58s. At most I use Racing Medium, but I can count how many cars that had it fitted just for fooling around.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/audi-r8-ultra-lms-bilstein.300900/

I made this setup. Its very very safe and fast. Let me know if you like guys.
I used your idea of tuning the Audi for myself as it looked a bit oversteery which is a thing I like. With your setup the car definitely handles better, yet it isn't the best at fast curves. I tried a less extreme setup and that definitely worked for me. I tried it at Nordschleife and Spa (with a bit more training 2:14 is easily possible), it's still hard to drive, but very rewarding. :)

Try to change the front ride height to 60 or more without changing something else. Max 65. It will be much better at fast curves.

I'm glad others have had the same problem with the Audi R8 LMS. I bought this car as my first major purchase on the game (400,000creds), and couldn't get it to work at all, similar problems in locking up.

I tried toying about with different settings but although it improved somewhat, I found when I got above a 'tipping point' of about 155mph, it just lost it completely on braking and spun off the track.

Ended up selling the car back for 120,000 - lost 280,000 of my hard earned credits, which hurt. But good to know I'm not the only one that's had difficulties.

Back