RaceRoom: The Racing Experience General Discussion

• Thread starter MagpieRacer
  • 1,199 comments
People and Simbin will say the advantage is that you only pay for what you want but generally speaking most sim fans are going to be interested in a lot of the content, if not all of it.

Exactly, it's a false economy, but it sucks you in because you think 'well, it's free'. Then you think 'well, that car is like $1'. Then you see that you have to add $5, but there aren't any other cars under $4, so you think 'well, I might as well add $10 because I've enjoyed what I've seen so far', then you buy more cars but have $4 left over, so you add another $5 so you can buy one more $9 car. I'm not saying that's how it is with Simraceway (in case Bazz, GTPorsche or GT Ace are reading this!) but that's generally how free to play games operate, I think Simraceway is the exception in that it offers a lot of cheap cars but also the super expensive ones.

I'm kind of hoping GTR3 is just a reasonably priced way to buy all of the content in R3E in one go, but that's highly unlikely really, isn't it? Free to play racing sims worry me because they do make a lot of sense for the developer, but if everyone's doing it... No thanks. Especially if they have their exclusive licenses so even if you do only buy a handful of cars for each, you'll still have to buy the same tracks over and over (that is, if they all charge for tracks, unlike Simraceway).

Still, I'm willing and interested to give it a go but as Jav says I think I can only really have room for one free to play sim... And unfortunately this might win out over Simraceway, thus potentially making the $60 I've spent on that wasted. Or maybe my desire to keep on going in Simraceway means this will fall by the wayside. Especially if you have to pay for new modes as well as everything else!

Imho its always the same with "F2P" games, the pricing is way too high. I d easily spend 120-150 Euros on the content that I would just like to have. Plus what would piss me off most is if RRRE keeps the current way of only being able to buy even numbers of credits, but content costing 379, 289 etc.

I was doing the math on a short 12 track racing season. Say even, you do a 16 track season using 4 tracks that are free (reasonably long season)

VirtualR
First details of the pricing model have now been revealed as single cars will regularly sell for 199 vRP to 329 vRP (2-3.50€) while tracks will be available for 349 vRP to 549 vRP (3.50-5.50€).

So let's do some math on a 12 tracks you have to buy with 1 car.

Let's, for simplicity sake, say that the car and all the tracks are EUR 3.50 (US$4.66)
-12 tracks x Eur 3.50 = 42
-1 car (single make series)= 3.50

Eur 45.50 = around $60.

For one short season. Single make. Cheapest tracks.

Holy crap, wow. No thanks. That's ridiculous.

Thats not making it any better. Its still ridiculously overpriced, no matter if any random competitors are even more ridiculously overpriced.

Its just the usual model for a free to play game. I personally was expecting it to cost more, so I am happy with it. Simraceway however, some cars go for 30 euro on there..

I hate to say it, but this game just screams of greed. Everything cost money. If you do buy a car and want to change the livery guess what, yeap, gotta pay to change the livery on your car. Want to race without driving aids? Break out your wallet gotta pay for that too. Im not sure, but wouldnt be surprised if you gotta pay to setup a online race. Simraceway doesnt charge for everything, but its just as bad. The cars that are the most popular are WAY overpriced. I think Im gonna leave these free 2 play games for others. Whats free aint worth playing. So far I havent seen anything free in raceroom.

I hate to say it, but this game just screams of greed. Everything cost money. If you do buy a car and want to change the livery guess what, yeap, gotta pay to change the livery on your car. Want to race without driving aids? Break out your wallet gotta pay for that too. Im not sure, but wouldnt be surprised if you gotta pay to setup a online race. Simraceway doesnt charge for everything, but its just as bad. The cars that are the most popular are WAY overpriced. I think Im gonna leave these free 2 play games for others. Whats free aint worth playing. So far I havent seen anything free in raceroom.

Do we know how easy/difficult is to earn the fake money in R3E? Simraceway is bearable for the most part, that awesome new Asphalt Modified is only 300 credits and you get 5 credits per lap. Not impossible to earn in one sitting, as long as you have the right cars. Any cars that cost $1 or so can be earned fairly quickly (and there are loads of those) and I don't even play it that much.

But yeah, the main thing is how difficult it is to earn in-game credits. Maybe the aids-off mode will be attainable after three hours of playing, which really isn't bad. Maybe it'll take months... We don't know yet!

fatkrakr: I generally agree but there are indeed some free things with RRRE. IIRC its 5 cars and 2 tracks or something like that. Doesnt make the greedy pricing any better, though.

In defense of SimRaceway.

1. Majority of cars cost less than $1, most of those fall into the "Most popular" cars when it comes to what people want to drive. The most popular are probably the Evo X and the Asphalt Modified, one comes with the game and the other is 300 credits or $0.30.

2. You can earn credits pretty damn fast, meaning most of the cheaper content is actually free

3. Some events payout cash to the top 50 times on the leaderboard and are heavily reviewed for cutting or cheating, meaning it is very realistic to win actual money, I've actually funded most of my expensive car buys due to this, combined with Testdrive Tuesday sales.

4. Every tuesday they have a car on sale between 50-85% of it's shelf value, again making it very affordable.

5. All the tracks are free.

There are a small handful of very high priced cars but the vast majority of SimRaceway is near enough free. People always look at one expensive car and forget everything else that actually matters. In essence one could realistically not pay anything and get a full racing experience.

In defense of SimRaceway.

1. Majority of cars cost less than $1, most of those fall into the "Most popular" cars when it comes to what people want to drive. The most popular are probably the Evo X and the Asphalt Modified, one comes with the game and the other is 300 credits or $0.30.

2. You can earn credits pretty damn fast, meaning most of the cheaper content is actually free

3. Some events payout cash to the top 50 times on the leaderboard and are heavily reviewed for cutting or cheating, meaning it is very realistic to win actual money, I've actually funded most of my expensive car buys due to this, combined with Testdrive Tuesday sales.

4. Every tuesday they have a car on sale between 50-85% of it's shelf value, again making it very affordable.

5. All the tracks are free.

There are a small handful of very high priced cars but the vast majority of SimRaceway is near enough free. People always look at one expensive car and forget everything else that actually matters. In essence one could realistically not pay anything and get a full racing experience.

Yup. I actually haven't spent a single buck on Simraceway and have cash in my wallet I won in an event. You don't have to pay at all, which I love.

Downloading my RR:TRE Beta right now by the way.
Do we actually know if it will have fake money? I thought you have to pay real stuff.

All the money transactions on the closed beta are just simulated, though you will get an email from steam saying that you have purchased with real money. It's quite a confusing and almost scary thing when you see that emailing wondering if you've actually just spent that €40 (or however much), but you haven't!

As for the open beta, that will be like SRW and all the content will be your own, you will be paying with real money to purchase ingame credits similar to Microsoft points.

All the money transactions on the closed beta are just simulated, though you will get an email from steam saying that you have purchased with real money. It's quite a confusing and almost scary thing when you see that emailing wondering if you've actually just spent that €40 (or however much), but you haven't!

As for the open beta, that will be like SRW and all the content will be your own, you will be paying with real money to purchase ingame credits similar to Microsoft points.

Yeah, I got this, but is there in-game money, like in Simraceway?
neema pointed something like this out above:
Do we know how easy/difficult is to earn the fake money in R3E?

There most likely will be, I haven't seen a single free to play game without fake and real currencies side-by-side or using real money to buy fake money which can also be earned.

Really enjoying the beta. I'm sure the guys sceptical of the cost and such will be won over when they have a go.

Also one of the best tracks in it is free from the start, the Swedish hill climb.

I've enjoyed the beta as well, it's still not a way I want to buy a videogame.

The thing is, you don't have to.

You get a free game and if you are in the private beta (I'm guessing you are), will have the "Get Real" and "Apex Hunt" game modes for free. Yup, 5 cars, 2 tracks (6 layouts), and the 2 optional game modes. Free. F-R-E-E.

Obviously if you aren't in the private beta, you won't have the 2 game modes given to you.

The rest is just DLC.
There is GT5 DLC.
There is iRacing DLC.
There is Forza 4 DLC.
There is RACE 07 DLC.
There is Simraceway DLC.
There is going to be Assetto Corsa DLC.
And there is RaceRoom Racing Experience DLC.

You consider 5 cars and 2 tracks a full game? I don't, which means if I want a fuller game I NEED to buy that "DLC", I don't for the other games, they're already full of content, DLC is extra, not essential.

You consider 5 cars and 2 tracks a full game? I don't, which means if I want a fuller game I NEED to buy that "DLC", I don't for the other games, they're already full of content, DLC is extra, not essential.

But if it turns out to be reasonable in terms of grinding so you don't have to actually spend anything to earn a few more cars and tracks, would you stick around for a while? Not that I agree with what somebodysb2 said at all, the default content isn't a full game by any stretch of the imagination. However it's also a bit early to judge what RR:RE will include for free, I reckon with enough moaning they'll change their mind about charging for basic sim modes. It would be nice if they adopted a Simraceway model where all of the circuits are free, but that's probably asking too much.

Where did he say it is a FULL game? It is something that you get for FREE. Full games cost money, so will this one, but you can make it your own full game with only the content you want.

I do think though, that the prices should be slightly lower. Hopefully they will be later on.

But if it turns out to be reasonable in terms of grinding so you don't have to actually spend anything to earn a few more cars and tracks, would you stick around for a while? Not that I agree with what somebodysb2 said at all, the default content isn't a full game by any stretch of the imagination. However it's also a bit early to judge what RR:RE will include for free, I reckon with enough moaning they'll change their mind about charging for basic sim modes. It would be nice if they adopted a Simraceway model where all of the circuits are free, but that's probably asking too much.

Personally I'm not interested in grinding a game to get 'free' content, that's why I haven't bothered with SimRaceway. Also (and again this is just me personally, I know for others it's different) I need a good single player section for a game to be worthwhile. GTR2 and Race07 were worthwhile for that reason.

JvM
Where did he say it is a FULL game? It is something that you get for FREE. Full games cost money, so will this one, but you can make it your own full game with only the content you want.

I do think though, that the prices should be slightly lower. Hopefully they will be later on.

Yes but I said I didn't want to buy a video game like this, he said I wouldn't have to and justified it by telling me what free content I'll get. Then he said the rest of it was just like DLC, it's not. So my point still stands, I'm personally not interested in buying a video game in this way.

Plus I already showed about that even for a modest amount of content to create your personal game it's going to cost way more than a full retail game.

I must agree with Simon on the grinding thing. I did enough grinding for credits in GT5 to last me the rest of my sim racing career. I want a good career mode.

Well, I am Beta testing this title and must say I love it. If the content is solid I don't mind paying a little for it. So far so good.

As a simracer I am quite used to grinding cars and tracks. Only way to get faster you know ;)

I preferr expansion packs over DLC myself too though.

Personally I'm not interested in grinding a game to get 'free' content, that's why I haven't bothered with SimRaceway. Also (and again this is just me personally, I know for others it's different) I need a good single player section for a game to be worthwhile. GTR2 and Race07 were worthwhile for that reason.

I must agree with Simon on the grinding thing. I did enough grinding for credits in GT5 to last me the rest of my sim racing career. I want a good career mode.

I get what you're saying but I agree with this response:

As a simracer I am quite used to grinding cars and tracks. Only way to get faster you know ;)

I preferr expansion packs over DLC myself too though.

So if RR:RE isn't too grindy but still a bit grindy, as long as it includes features that make it better than rFactor I imagine I'll stick with it. If it takes me three months to unlock a basic feature I won't bother, if it takes maybe six hours to unlock a reasonable car I want (like the Atom V8 did in SRW) I'll be alright with that. I might even spend some money on it as long as it's clear that I don't have to spend money on it, if you know what I mean, because that's when it becomes pointless.

Back