Racers Reunited. Zo's Indulgence 200, 12:00 mid-day BST Saturday 12th August 2017.Finished 

• Thread starter Zolon32
  • 163 comments
I have to say that something the super honourable Mr Collins mentioned in this interview has rung alarm bells for me. It's my understanding that the physics of GT is deliberately skewed in order to make drifting easier than it would be in reality, and it does seem that some people are able drive their motors very quickly in a manner that would have their tyres screaming 'enough' in real life within one lap. From what I have heard, this isn't so with PCars, I believe that the cars respond much better to a smooth style than they do to an aggressive one. However, it would appear that PCars2 will follow the GT lead. It's a bit like when Coke was 'improved', by effectively turning it into Pepsi.

Anyway, we shall see...

Cheers, Zo.

It's my understanding that the physics of GT is deliberately skewed in order to make drifting easier than it would be in reality
They need to skew it a bit more then because I'm rubbish at it. :P

I have to say that something the super honourable Mr Collins mentioned in this interview has rung alarm bells for me. It's my understanding that the physics of GT is deliberately skewed in order to make drifting easier than it would be in reality, and it does seem that some people are able drive their motors very quickly in a manner that would have their tyres screaming 'enough' in real life within one lap. From what I have heard, this isn't so with PCars, I believe that the cars respond much better to a smooth style than they do to an aggressive one. However, it would appear that PCars2 will follow the GT lead. It's a bit like when Coke was 'improved', by effectively turning it into Pepsi.

Anyway, we shall see...

Cheers, Zo.

The biggest problem I find driving the cars is that when the tyres lose their grip, it happens in an instant, and in most cases just fires you off into the nearest object, with no chance of recovery because I don't feel or hear, the grip begin to go. I find that unrealistic. Some cars are worse than others, but all I have driven so far basically behave the same, and can be improved with a lot of tweaking, and, as you say Zo, smooth driving. Improving the tyre modelling has been one of the main things to be corrected/improved in PCars2, and I have listened to a lot of talk, and watched a lot of videos, looking for that improvement, and I'm convinced they have improved it a lot. I don't reckon they have did a "Pepsi" either, as I have come across the phrase, "not wanting to dumb down the game", several times.
The attached video has some interesting comments - 1:26 to skip chatter. I'll put a second vid up showing Brands Hatch in the snow, just because it looks so amazing, including the handling looking realistic, that it put a smile on my face, and may do the same for anyone else who views it. The weather develops with every lap!

The biggest problem I find driving the cars is that when the tyres lose their grip, it happens in an instant, and in most cases just fires you off into the nearest object, with no chance of recovery because I don't feel or hear, the grip begin to go. I find that unrealistic. Some cars are worse than others, but all I have driven so far basically behave the same, and can be improved with a lot of tweaking, and, as you say Zo, smooth driving. Improving the tyre modelling has been one of the main things to be corrected/improved in PCars2, and I have listened to a lot of talk, and watched a lot of videos, looking for that improvement, and I'm convinced they have improved it a lot. I don't reckon they have did a "Pepsi" either, as I have come across the phrase, "not wanting to dumb down the game", several times.
The attached video has some interesting comments - 1:26 to skip chatter. I'll put a second vid up showing Brands Hatch in the snow, just because it looks so amazing, including the handling looking realistic, that it put a smile on my face, and may do the same for anyone else who views it. The weather develops with every lap!

Most of the untuned cars in the game are pretty much undriveable because of that. It pretty much requires tuning to be any good, which is annoying, but luckily there's lots of good sources for tips and setups. I feel like the fact GT doesn't even have modifiable tire pressures has a lot to do with it also. I figured you guys with your wheels would get some sort of feedback when the car is about to lose grip though? I've mostly just gotten it down to slow down, don't touch the curbs on entry, and avoid the invisible bumps.

There's very little transference in driving styles between GT and PCARS because GT is about aggression because the cars and physics are so tossable (though GT Sport is less so since the grip feels more realistic) and PC is like you guys said, all about being smooth. I still haven't figured out tire wear though, since I'm great at managing them in GT and always burn them off no matter what in PC.

I've solely been doing PCARS for a while now and I've massively improved just by playing it regularly, I was always at the back of the group I race with when I started and was spinning out every few laps and now I'm fairly regularly on the podium. It is annoyingly unpredictable at first but once you learn to predict the unpredictability it's pretty fun, just not as fun as GT. Also the fact that cars get glued together anytime you make any sort of tiny contact makes close racing really nerve-wracking. Hopefully PCARS2 is more accessible like they promise.

Last edited:
Zo, re your 200: you'd better go on without me. My PS3 is caput. The last few months I've been struggling with my PS3 so I decided to clean my laser in the hope that I would come back from Kyoto and actually be able to get into my settings/get on the track in the same time it takes everyone else. Long story short, I can't and in the process have created additional problems. The picture quality and colour have changed (graininess and washed out colours), the sound is almost non existent, intermittent at best, and I still have trouble getting into my settings. Not sure if it's the disc or the PS3 but either way I won't be buying a new PS3 or GT6 disc. Just when I was getting back into your track too Zo. I even ran a 3:27 in the GT-R Black yesterday. Nothing I can do now. I'm off to Kyoto tomorrow so I hope you all have a great race on the 12th. If anyone wants to adopt my strategy here it is: stay on the hard stuff and I don't mean the whisky Tom! Anyway, it's been an interesting 2 years on GT6 with ya all, racing all kinds, at all PPs etc, often at ungodly hours, and thanks to you all I've learned tons. But for now and GT6, I guess that's it for me; makes me think of all the good times: the very first race of the madness series at Silverstone running in the Bluebird Hardtop against Colin in the BTR and blue in the Quattro. How that championship finished - won in the last race by a single point after Colin forced a final lap in the Stratos. Unbelievable. Blue's Wagon Championship which was a lot more fun than I imagined it would be. The Volvo race around Madrid in the 80s Blast...the list goes on. And I really wanted to finish with one proper last race - the 200 - but it seems like it's not to be. So, sorry Zo and all, drive like you stole those supercars, and someone make a video please!

It's been good on GT6, hopefully PS4 will bring just as much shenanigans.

Best to all - joe

Zo, re your 200: you'd better go on without me. My PS3 is caput. The last few months I've been struggling with my PS3 so I decided to clean my laser in the hope that I would come back from Kyoto and actually be able to get into my settings/get on the track in the same time it takes everyone else. Long story short, I can't and in the process have created additional problems. The picture quality and colour have changed (graininess and washed out colours), the sound is almost non existent, intermittent at best, and I still have trouble getting into my settings. Not sure if it's the disc or the PS3 but either way I won't be buying a new PS3 or GT6 disc. Just when I was getting back into your track too Zo. I even ran a 3:27 in the GT-R Black yesterday. Nothing I can do now. I'm off to Kyoto tomorrow so I hope you all have a great race on the 12th. If anyone wants to adopt my strategy here it is: stay on the hard stuff and I don't mean the whisky Tom! Anyway, it's been an interesting 2 years on GT6 with ya all, racing all kinds, at all PPs etc, often at ungodly hours, and thanks to you all I've learned tons. But for now and GT6, I guess that's it for me; makes me think of all the good times: the very first race of the madness series at Silverstone running in the Bluebird Hardtop against Colin in the BTR and blue in the Quattro. How that championship finished - won in the last race by a single point after Colin forced a final lap in the Stratos. Unbelievable. Blue's Wagon Championship which was a lot more fun than I imagined it would be. The Volvo race around Madrid in the 80s Blast...the list goes on. And I really wanted to finish with one proper last race - the 200 - but it seems like it's not to be. So, sorry Zo and all, drive like you stole those supercars, and someone make a video please!

It's been good on GT6, hopefully PS4 will bring just as much shenanigans.

Best to all - joe

Acht! - that's a right shame mate. If your disk is ok, you just need a s/h PS3? Wouldn't be expensive, and possibly a good chance of finding one from a reputable trader in Kyoto - just a thought. Either way, we shall stay in touch. Thinking of you and Hiroko at this difficult time, and keeping you both in prayer. :)

Most of the untuned cars in the game are pretty much undriveable because of that. It pretty much requires tuning to be any good, which is annoying, but luckily there's lots of good sources for tips and setups. I feel like the fact GT doesn't even have modifiable tire pressures has a lot to do with it also. I figured you guys with your wheels would get some sort of feedback when the car is about to lose grip though? I've mostly just gotten it down to slow down, don't touch the curbs on entry, and avoid the invisible bumps.

There's very little transference in driving styles between GT and PCARS because GT is about aggression because the cars and physics are so tossable (though GT Sport is less so since the grip feels more realistic) and PC is like you guys said, all about being smooth. I still haven't figured out tire wear though, since I'm great at managing them in GT and always burn them off no matter what in PC.

I've solely been doing PCARS for a while now and I've massively improved just by playing it regularly, I was always at the back of the group I race with when I started and was spinning out every few laps and now I'm fairly regularly on the podium. It is annoyingly unpredictable at first but once you learn to predict the unpredictability it's pretty fun, just not as fun as GT. Also the fact that cars get glued together anytime you make any sort of tiny contact makes close racing really nerve-wracking. Hopefully PCARS2 is more accessible like they promise.

I'm with you in all you say Blue. Just thinking about the differences in tyre wear between the two games - PCars was built as a pure sim with the largest proportion of drivers expected to be using wheels, while GT aimed right down the middle between gamers and racers, for max sales, so GT was set-up with greater compatibility for pad users. I first became aware of it some time ago, racing with tyre wear on max - I began losing enough grip at 8/9s to affect my times, while the drivers on pads were still flying around the corners with tyres down to 1/2s,which I checked on the replays. So, with PCars 1 not making the types of allowances in GT you are getting your tyres ripped, all of your moves on pad being done in an instant, and likely full throttle, and full braking most of the time, compared to more gradual inputs from a wheel and pedals. I'm amazed so many pad users can drive as well as they do!
According to what I've heard, the thinking with PCars2 is that it is designed to be more sympathetic for pad use, from the stand point of, "What would we need to do to make a real car more driveable with a pad?". I watched a video recently showing a lad using a wheel, then a pad, on all the same tracks, and in the same cars, to allow a comparison. There were several interesting questions which came up too, as it was originally a live broadcast by PCars2 - I go look for it.....

5:42 for the start.

I'd been having same kind of problem with ps3 and gt6 as Joe, but not bad as him. I just hope my ps3 will work to middle of september as then I'll buy ps4.

So Zo what we'll do on saturday?

So Zo what we'll do on saturday?

That's an excellent question Jammy. As far as I can see, we have seven people who have committed to being there, with Suts being a possible eighth, if he can. We also have a pretty broad spectrum of pace.

The realistic choices we have, as far as I can see are:

1/ Forget it. (boooooo)

2/ Do the 37 laps. (Could be a long, lonely haul for some, Jammy wouldn't have any competition.)

3/ Do a seven lap race, then adjust power settings (assuming no sand-bagging) to tighten things up for a thirty lapper.

4/ Do a series of nine lap races, adjusting the power settings between each race for maximum tightness of field.

I really don't want to do 1, and if there was a realistic chance of people battling throughout, I'd love to go for 2, but I think that's unrealistic. 3 or 4 would work fine for me.

So fellas, it's your meeting as much as it is mine, which option do you prefer?

@bloodyboyblue @quentin1974 @tooma @Nikos2jz @Autope10 @Sutsagrd

Cheers, Zo.

That's an excellent question Jammy. As far as I can see, we have seven people who have committed to being there, with Suts being a possible eighth, if he can. We also have a pretty broad spectrum of pace.

1/ Forget it. (boooooo)

2/ Do the 37 laps. (Could be a long, lonely haul for some, Jammy wouldn't have any competition.)

3/ Do a seven lap race, then adjust power settings (assuming no sand-bagging) to tighten things up for a thirty lapper.

4/ Do a series of nine lap races, adjusting the power settings between each race for maximum tightness of field.

I really don't want to do 1, and if there was a realistic chance of people battling throughout, I'd love to go for 2, but I think that's unrealistic. 3 or 4 would work fine for me.

Cheers, Zo.
4 sounds the best for close racing and fun throughout. 2 would be fun but it would get lonely. whatever we decide on I will be there unless my ps3 stops working. that will not happen. I hope.

1/ Forget it. (boooooo)

Cheers, Zo.

I vote for 4. I'll do my best to be there. At present I don't have to work but this might change last minute.
:cheers:

I vote for 4.

Oi!.. Maybes don't get a vote ;)

Looks like we're going for 4 though chaps. That'll get around the issue of possible DCs too, which might haunt us.

I've just had a run over 9 laps in the 430 '06, and the tyre wear was 'interesting'. I got down to 6/6 front and 4/3 rear. My last lap took 4 minutes. Seems like that race distance will be right on the cusp of being quicker with a pit stop, or maybe not. Joe will be well fed up, I think he likes the undercut/overcut sort of thing.

Cheers, Zo.

Hmm, if you were to go for option 4 I may just be able to join in for a race or two. Possibly the first and last.

I've had a go around the track but I certainly won't be up to speed, but at least I could be there for people to get past.

If I can get there what car should I use Zo?

can get there what car should I use Zo?

If you can't get any practice in, then the McLaren MP4 12C would probably be best for starters Paul. We'll see how it goes once you've got a few laps under your belt. It'll be grand to have you along.

My prefer order would be (best first): 2, 3, 4 (,1)

Oh Jammy, I'm sorry... I promise I'll try to sort something out when we move over to GTS/PC2, where you can go head to head with Joe for a couple of hours, and probably lap the rest of the field :)

Cheers, Zo.

After half a dozen laps, approximately 3.35 in the MP4 and the Ford GT (in the dry!). Although I'll probably get a little quicker I think it's safe to say I won't be troubling the leaders. :)
(I quite like the GT, although in typical PD fashion it doesn't sound like a large V8!)

Looking at our times I hope you can make it Suts. ;)

I can't find a post showing what cars everyone is using? To vary the field I'll use whatever everyone else isn't, if you see what I mean.

After half a dozen laps, approximately 3.35 in the MP4 and the Ford GT (in the dry!). Although I'll probably get a little quicker I think it's safe to say I won't be troubling the leaders. :)
(I quite like the GT, although in typical PD fashion it doesn't sound like a large V8!)

Looking at our times I hope you can make it Suts. ;)

I can't find a post showing what cars everyone is using? To vary the field I'll use whatever everyone else isn't, if you see what I mean.

3:35 is okay after half a dozen Paul, half a dozen more and I would expect that you'll be battling with someone.

I have left it up to everyone to pick whatever motor they want within their category, the categories themselves provide variety, so just use whichever you're most comfortable with. 27 hours to go! Woohoo.

Cheers, Zo.

Zo and all.
Sorry to say, I won't make the race tomorrow... bad gut problems for nearly a week. When it flared up I thought I would have recovered by now, which is why I am so late in letting you know. I'm fit for keeping up with emails, and not much more, at the moment, lol.
Whatever you decide, I hope you all enjoy your race-time. :)

Zo and all.
Sorry to say, I won't make the race tomorrow... bad gut problems for nearly a week. When it flared up I thought I would have recovered by now, which is why I am so late in letting you know. I'm fit for keeping up with emails, and not much more, at the moment, lol.
Whatever you decide, I hope you all enjoy your race-time. :)
Sorry to hear that Tom. I presume you've sought some help and advice from a doctor? Hope you get better soon. We'll miss you on track.

:cheers:

Just had a little run online, and treated myself to a couple of laps in the MP4. My goodness, that motor goes, and looks after its tyres really well. I've a feeling that's going to come into play tomorrow, with the 430 being so marginal on wear. Can't wait to see.

Cheers, Zo.

Haven't practiced or touched GT6 at all other than the 2 laps I did like 2 months ago, so still don't know the track at all, I'll just buy all of the cars and race a different one each time.

Well guys I am not sure if I can make it tomorrow. I was supposed to work today but I took today off to be with my godson who wanted to see his god dad and spend the night before he goes back to school on the 16th. So now I have to work early morning if I don't want to be to behind on my duties. I could go in to work after the races but then my day will run long and I might miss the A.R.S. GT and Lancer series I am participating in and I really like the Lancer series. I couldn't deny my godson as I have not seen him almost all summer since his parents moved out of town. I love him so much and he loves me so much. If I have the stamina I will try to go to work at 1:30am central time then come home at 6am and race then go straight back to work. that makes for a really long tuff day though. I was planning on getting godson mon night but I wasn't sure if I would be able to because of work. I would go to work right now and for sure be able to make the races but I have company coming over tonight that I really want to see. Real life always comes first. If I don't make it tomorrow I am very sorry guys. I Hope we can continue this racing fun when GTsport and PCars2 comes out. And I want videos to please if I don't make it. If only the body didn't need to sleep. I would have no problem making all the races.

Back