Random Car Facts

• Thread starter Slash
  • 822 comments
did Y'all know that the Lotus Esprit uses AE86 Levin tail lights?
Lotus_Esprit_Turbo_Stevens_rear.JPG

john-toyota-ae86-levin-rear-ireland-03.jpg

I think that Esprit uses a couple other Toyota parts too if I'm not mistaken. It was a cool little thread on club4ag about it lol

The 1997-2003 Pontiac Grand Prix (and some other GM cars of the 90's, like the Buick Regal) equipped with the automatic dual zone climate control had a secret scan gauge built into the climate control unit.

It would give accurate digital readings of engine coolant temp, oil pressure, etc. Even a speedometer.

My dad had two GTPs as company cars. I had no idea of that feature. Cool!

Does he still have one? To access it you had to turn off the HVAC unit completely, then press and hold the driver and passenger temp knobs for ~5 seconds.

The only problem is it would display the info along with a number 1 through whatever. (I think there where ~20 stats that it would show)

My GTP had it. I remember the only problem with it was the info wasn't labeled, so you had to figure out what the different stats where for.

Nah, replaced it with a Magnum SRT-8 about 9 years ago lol.

Those GTPs seemed to be in the shop a lot..

Mine ran almost flawlessly past 100k miles, up until it stopped running.

Had an oil pump failure on my way to work one day and didn't get it stopped in time to save the engine.

Sounds about right. :lol: I think his Magnum is at 160k now, just basic maintenance.

Back on topic, the Ferrari Enzo had roll up windows. Except for Schumacher's personal car, which was equipped with electric units.
IMG_2445_a_s.jpg

Did you know that in the 1980s, Chevrolet and Toyota teamed up to make compact cars for both the Asian and US market. The Chevrolet Spectrum, Sprint, and third generation Cavalier are just rebadged Toyotas.

The Chevy Vega and AMC Pacer were designed around GM-designed rotary engines, but the idea was scrapped last minute due to the engines unable to meet constantly changing emissions standards.

Did you know that in the 1980s, Chevrolet and Toyota teamed up to make compact cars for both the Asian and US market. The Chevrolet Spectrum, Sprint, and third generation Cavalier are just rebadged Toyotas.

No, just, no.

The Chevrolet Spectrum was an Isuzu, Toyota wasn't involved in any way.
The Chevrolet Sprint was a Suzuki, Toyota wasn't involved in any way.
The 3rd gen Cavalier was sold in Japan as a Toyota to avoid trade restrictions, they weren't involved in the actual development of the car.

Here are the cars that were actually a result of the NUMMI partnership.

1984-1988 Chevrolet Nova
1989-2002 Geo/Chevrolet Prism & Toyota Corolla
2003-2010 Pontiac Vibe

Though it would certainly put a whole new spin on things if Toyota secretly developed the Cavalier all along. How Machiavellian of them.

hsv
It's an old British sports car, did you expect it to be anything other than a parts-bin Pick & Mix special? :P
Of course not, but since people are often bashing the Marina's door handles for no good reason. I decided to at least try to defend it. :P

- Due to the introduction of unleaded (91RON) fuel to Australia in the mid-80s, Holden decided to source its straight-6 motor from Nissan as their motors were not available to run on the new fuel. Invariably the subsequent VL Commodore was one of the best Commodores Holden built.

- Along with the Autech 260RS, NISMO also created a version of the Stagea wagon that was both incredibly rare and incredibly potent.

GTj9QoD.jpg

- The Cruze name has been used for two completely different vehicles. Currently it is used for the GM Korea developed four-door sedan but previously the Chevrolet/Holden Cruze was a rebadged Suzuki Ignis, a compact four-wheel-drive.

- The "Capri" name has been used in Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury.
- Each generation of the Mercury Capri is a different car. The first one was the Euro Ford Capri rebadged, the 2nd one is a rebadged Mustang, and the third one is a rebadged Aussie Ford Capri.
- The Ford GT40 was developed by Lola.
- The new Ford Focus RS won't come in liquid blue despite the fact it was shown in liquid blue at the Detroit Motor Show.
- The first and second generation Ford Taurus SHOs use a V6 developed by yamaha.
- "SHO" for the Taurus SHO stands for "Super High Output".
- There are 2 different cars made under Ford called the "Fusion".

Did you know that while Hitler was in prison he called up a Mercedes dealership begging for a loan?

By pressing the ODO/TRIP button on the Toyota 86, the water temp. gauge, fuel gauge, and mileage will turn on.

Which means, you don't have to flick the key to look at the gauges!

The 3rd gen Cavalier was sold in Japan as a Toyota to avoid trade restrictions, they weren't involved in the actual development of the car.

Somewhat odd fact about the Toyota Cavalier; TRD actually designed their own aero package for it. It's very... period correct, shall we say.

TRD Cavalier.jpg

TRD Cavalier-2.jpg

Apparently, like most Toyotas available in Japan at the time, you could also order them from factory with various other TRD bits and pieces like shift knobs, carbon dash trims and decals to more motorsport-orientated items such as harnesses, sump guards and so on.

did Y'all know that the Lotus Esprit uses AE86 Levin tail lights?
Lotus_Esprit_Turbo_Stevens_rear.JPG

john-toyota-ae86-levin-rear-ireland-03.jpg

I think that Esprit uses a couple other Toyota parts too if I'm not mistaken. It was a cool little thread on club4ag about it lol
Am I the only one that sees no similarities beyond the amber/red/reverse/red (outside in) configuration? (And I even flipped them in my head to account for them being inverted like those used on the TVR.)

They are the same - sort of. Lotus used UK-spec AE86 taillight clusters which are slightly bigger and closer to the Japanese Trueno's rather than the Levin that was pictured. UK model lights for reference:

image.jpg

Here's some random ones involving the Firebird from Knight Rider.
During the production of Knight Rider, GM sold the Firebirds to NBC for just $1.
K.I.T.T was originally going to be called T.A.T.T, which stands for Trans Am Two Thousand
K.I.T.T was originally going to be a Datsun 280ZX not a Firebird.
GM made a special RHD Firebird that was used as the "auto cruise" car

Back