Random Car Facts

• Thread starter Slash
  • 822 comments
I am not sure those hyperutectic pistons, powdered metal rods and shallow skirt block agree with that. The LS engines have a crazy strong block making them stay together, not so much the V6/60° family. And I have never heard anything but grief about how weak the GM front drive trans were at the time.

Sorry, not trying to troll here, just skeptical of these claims.
Well, it took me a while to dig for the information. I found it somewhere obscure so the credibility is a bit questionable...

I have an ancient GM performance parts catalog hiding somewhere. It has a section devoted to the 60 degree engines. Summit even sells aluminum Bowtie V6/60 blocks still. 400 hp is well within reach with a little work, and a generous amount of forced induction. I just doubt the stock setup would hold up very long is all.

But what do I know, stock 5.3 truck engines have held over twice that power with similar questionable internals. I figure it has to be the block holding it all in for them.

• Audi never intended to bring the TT RS to the American market, but decided to do so after a large FaceBook protest.
  • To reduce weight, badges on most racing-oriented Porsches are actually just stickers.
  • To deter thieves, the hood ornament on all current Rolls Royce models will automatically retract into the hood if touched.
  • The Noble M400 uses the same exact taillights as the 4th-gen Hyundai Sonata
  • Honda lost money on every Integra Type-R DC2 ever sold.
  • The Ford Thunderbird was the last American car to have porthole windows.
  • The 2009-2015 Toyota Prius and Scion FR-S use the same exact tires.
  • The first wrecked ND Miata was totaled after it's new owners had only driven it 1/2 a mile!
  • All current Rolls Royce models have built-in umbrellas into the rear doors.
  • If you drive a Bugatti Veyron at it's top speed for 9 minutes, it's tires will completely wear out.
  • The U.S. government classed the first-gen Lexus IS as a subcompact car, due to it's abysmal interior legroom.
  • The Tesla Model S used the same steering wheel stalks as the Mercedes-Benz E-Class
  • The subcompact has more interior legroom than a full-size Toyota Avalon!
  • The Dodge Charger is the only sedan on the market that still uses lift-up door handles, rather than pull-out ones.
  • The GMC Terrain has the GMC Logo in it's taillights, if you look very carefully.
  • Mercedes originally wanted to name the ML-Class crossover "M-Class", but BMW would not allow that, due to it's line of M performance cars.
  • The Chevrolet Suburban has been the longest produced car that's still in production. It has been produced for 79 model years so far.
  • In Russia, it is a criminal offense to drive a dirty car in the city.
  • The 4th generation Honda Prelude beat every Ferrari, Porsche, and Lamborghini model (from it's time) on the slalom test.
  • 18% of all American car owners drive a manual.
  • The current Lotus Elise and Exige uses engine and transmissions designed by Toyota.

The Ford Sierra RS500 Cosworth has Recaro seats.
0Y7A7434-620x413.jpg

• The Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione shares a similar V8 to the Ferrari 458.

• Buick used Shaquille O'Niel as a benchmark for headroom in the LaCrosse.

•President Lyndon B. Johnson used an amphibious car to scare guests by driving into a lake while screaming about brake failure.

•Google's self-driving Prius has only ever been in two accidents, and both were from external causes.

•The Tesla Model S broke the NHSS' rollover testing machines.

The air conditioning buttons in the Pagani Zonda are the same ones used for the Rover 45.

Reviving this thread for a great car fact:

P-Jones is Richard Parry-Jones, the engineer most hold responsible for turning Fords from utter crocks in the 1980s and early 90s into some of the best handling cars in their class from the mid-90s onwards.

Reminded me of another great fact though, which I read recently in a review of an Abbot Racing-tweaked version of the old Saab 9-3 Viggen from the late 90s. One of Abbott's modifications was a hefty brace for the steering column to quell that car's huge torque steer - the company found that under full load the steering column was moving as much as 4-5cm...

You can play Tetris on a GAZelle Next

The video is in Russian, this the the translation on how to get it
1) Turn the ignition on 2) Start a car 3) Activate the right turn signal for three blinks 4) Two click the trip odometer reset twice (the computer translated this as “two times distant,” but this is what I think that means5) Push the clutch five times 6) Rev the engine to 2000 RPM while turning on the left turn indicator
Jalopnik

Here's an interesting one. All three of the Big Three (Chevrolet, Dodge, Ford) have made a car called the Durango at one point or another.

Most obviously is the Dodge Durango, 1997-

JDPA_2021%20Dodge%20Durango%20SRT%20Hellcat%20Gray%20Front%20on%20Track.jpg

1979-1982. A dealership conversion of the Ford Fairmont mid-size sedan into an ute. Between 250-350 were produced.

Ford_Durango.jpg

Finally, the Chevrolet S-10 Durango, which was the name given to the middle-of-the-road trim of the 1980s S-10.

1983ChevroletS10_01_1000.jpg

Back