Random Car Facts

• Thread starter Slash
  • 822 comments
Toyota made a Neo Zeon Auris.

modellista-makes-gundam-toyota-auris-photo-gallery-video_3.jpg

modellista-makes-gundam-toyota-auris-photo-gallery-video_11.jpg

They're not the only ones guilty of it.

Also I thought it used MR2 tail lights as opposed to AE86's? I recall something about an MR2-Esprit thing.

did Y'all know that the Lotus Esprit uses AE86 Levin tail lights?
Lotus_Esprit_Turbo_Stevens_rear.JPG

john-toyota-ae86-levin-rear-ireland-03.jpg

I think that Esprit uses a couple other Toyota parts too if I'm not mistaken. It was a cool little thread on club4ag about it lol
Yup, I already posted that on page 6 :P Along with Mazda 323F tailaights on Aston Martin DB7.
But they were euro or early Japan AE86 taillights not the late model Japanese tails in your picture ;)

In other words, Lotus just "borrow" tailights from other cars to use on theirs

It's the same with other manufacturers "borrowing" body parts from Lotus. Or, in some cases, Peter Stephens carrying parts over from one of his Lotus designs.

Front indicator strips on the McLaren F1:

img_4452-resized.jpg

Previously used on Julian Thompson's revamp of Stephens' redesigned Esprit:

1997_Lotus_Esprit_V8.jpg

Originally used on the Elan M100:

F9729D60-B5A4-1DD7-28AB984FBC534274.jpg

Also appeared with inverted colours (or entirely orange) on the Venturi Atlantique:

065.jpg

Just going back to Esprits and their AE86 lights, the 1980s ones used Rover SD1 lights.

000_0068.jpg

Essex%20in%20over%20flow%20car%20park.JPG

Lotus_Esprit_S3_1985_Black_rear.jpg
That's one that I was actually aware of, and it's not as obscure as those purloined from a Corolla.

- The Toyota Vitz was sold in Canada as an Echo hatchback.
- A blue Echo hatchback was featured on TV show "Psych" and it was given the nickname "blueberry".

Both of the early 90s Jaaaaaaaags had tailights raided from various parts bin. XJR-15 were pulled of the Mazda 626, XJ220 from a Rover 200. Pre-Ford Aston did it a lot too.

It's the same with other manufacturers "borrowing" body parts from Lotus. Or, in some cases, Peter Stephens carrying parts over from one of his Lotus designs.

Front indicator strips on the McLaren F1:

img_4452-resized.jpg

Previously used on Julian Thompson's revamp of Stephens' redesigned Esprit:

1997_Lotus_Esprit_V8.jpg

Originally used on the Elan M100:

F9729D60-B5A4-1DD7-28AB984FBC534274.jpg

Also appeared with inverted colours (or entirely orange) on the Venturi Atlantique:

065.jpg
18nclqlqprezvjpg.jpg

BUMP

I don't know for sure but I think the smallest V8 in a car is the V8 in the Seat Leon TDI WTCC touring car, with a measly 1.9L.

The Dodge Neon was sold as the Dodge SX 2.0 in Canada, and the Chrysler Neon in certain parts of Europe.

Minus the different rims and badging, the Dodge Neon is almost exactly the same as the Plymouth Neon.
image.jpg

In 1966, Ford teamed up with Shelby and Hertz to build a special line of Mustang GT350's for rent. After Hertz were done with them they gave them back to Ford who sold them as the limited edition GT350-H. In 2006, they used a modern Mustang GT and kitted it to look like the original GT-H. Almost every Hertz Mustang was black with gold stripes.

2006_Mustang_Shelby_GT-H.jpg

Frank Stephenson designed the R50/R53 (2002-2006) Mini Cooper and when the clay model was finished, 15 minutes before presenting the design to the judges, he realized it did not have an exhaust tip. So he took an empty beer can, made a hole in the top of it and stuck it on there. The judges said not to change a thing. So the exhaust tip such as the one on my car looks like a beer can.
image.jpg

In 1966, Ford teamed up with Shelby and Hertz to build a special line of Mustang GT350's for rent. After Hertz were done with them they gave them back to Ford who sold them as the limited edition GT350-H. In 2006, they used a modern Mustang GT and kitted it to look like the original GT-H. Almost every Hertz Mustang was black with gold stripes.

Fact about the 1966 Shelby Hertz, people who owned a Mustang would rent it and then swap out the Shelby engine and replace it with their stock engine then return it the Hertz.

Fact about the 1966 Shelby Hertz, people who owned a Mustang would rent it and then swap out the Shelby engine and replace it with their stock engine then return it the Hertz.
Crafty :censored:s

Huge bump, but I've only just found out that the relatively bland Opel / Vauxhall Corsa D has a weird little design element. On the hinge of the glovebox, there is a shark etched into the plastic:

Corsa shark.jpg

Apparently, the designer was dared to hide something in his work and this was the result. It was never picked up on and is in every Corsa D model. It's probably the only interesting tidbit about this car, to be honest.

The current Mazda3 and the ND MX-5 share the same 155 HP inline four engine, which somehow results in the Mazda3 being able to hit a top speed of 130 MPH compared to the 127 MPH the ND can achieve.

The GM 3400 engine which was featured in the Impala, Grand Am and a few other cars is capable of handling 400 HP on stock internals. The transmission in the Impala base model is rated at up to 400 ft-lbs of torque, effectively restricting it to 388 HP.

I am not sure those hyperutectic pistons, powdered metal rods and shallow skirt block agree with that. The LS engines have a crazy strong block making them stay together, not so much the V6/60° family. And I have never heard anything but grief about how weak the GM front drive trans were at the time.

Sorry, not trying to troll here, just skeptical of these claims.

Back