Rap aka R&B is crap. What do you tihink about it?Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tercel_driver
  • 182 comments
  • 9,624 views

So, what do you think about it?

  • It is crap. I can't stand it.

    Votes: 54 52.9%
  • Wtf are you talking about. This kicks ass.

    Votes: 38 37.3%
  • Doesnt know/prefer not to give opinion.

    Votes: 10 9.8%

  • Total voters
    102
Originally posted by Graphic

Sage Francis "Makeshift Patriot" *



Not a huge rap fan myself, although I like some. But I love that song.
 
i think many people in here may not like it because the crowd doesn't. you like your music, we like ours. why do we even have to argue about such a stupid topic as "rap is crap." its just pointless.
 
but you like dmx, so......................
 
Originally posted by [hottie]
right... Rap's not music. I'm sure it's just a fad.

15 years and counting...

You're right DMX, if we made an "Alt Rock is Crap" thread, our necks would be hung. People are seeing this mainstream rap, which is about nines, twenties, and sixty fours. If they saw real rap, which is rhyming lyrics that have a meaning, maybe they wouldn't hate so much.
 
you know i agree with that viper. but i dont call that rap. I like to think of it as true hiphop. The bull**** on mtv is rap.

But yea, I love that stuff. J5, the roots, blackalicious. Im expanding my library currently, so im listing the basics, but they are incredible.

Go buy "the roots come alive" or "blackalicious - blazing arrow" and youll see what we mean people.
 
Originally posted by Viper Zero
People are seeing this mainstream rap, which is about nines, twenties, and sixty fours.

:lol:
 
I think R&B isn't too bad but not really my music...And I am so sick of Rap being confused with Hip-Hop...and artists themselves being confused about what genre they belong to...Hip-Hop rests on four pillars...DJing, Breaking, MCing and Graffiti. It's a culture. Rap is...bling bling...monotony...gats...and ice...*Cries* I agree with that guy who made that big long list...but he missed an essential group..JEDI MIND TRICKS...these guys are the _best_ group I have ever heard. They're usually preferred by guys coz it's pretty agressive stuff...deep stuff...soooo soooo good...it takes a couple of times to listen to them though, not really poppy beats but still good music. At first when u listen to them it sounds a bit like they're making stuff up...but after you go look up the difficult words you're blown away by the depth and thought and skill of these guys....DOWNLOAD!! I highly recommend The War Ensemble and Paleface. Also...OMG I _LOVE_ Atmosphere's Modern man's Hustle! If you haven't got it, get it now! For Ja Rule and Nelly fans...ok well yeah the beats ok but all the songs sound the same and they talk about things they don't know very well and the girls look and act and sound the same (although i will say they sing like a thousand times better than I ever could) so...no, I don't think Rap or R&B is that great...but that's my opinion, sorry...too into hip-hop... :P
 
Oh yeah that Blackalicious Blazin Arrow is mad too one of my fave cd's! Also check out Arsonists...As the World Burns...way better than their D.O.B album... :(
 
R&B is different than rap...rap is eminem, dmx, jay z, juvenille.
R&B is brian Mcknight and blu cantrell...

I know some names may be spelled wrong.

DMX is right, why do we have to argue about music, we like what we like, they like what the like. Thats that. Cant we just leave it at that?
 
i find eminem, dmx, juvenile, and especially jay z dispicable.

commercial bling rap. nuff said.

do i dare to say that your avatar goes along with the type of music you listen to?
 
wrong. i dislike eminem, but he is not much of the "bling rapper" i don't listen to juvenile, so i have no idea how he is, jay z is "bling rap", but he's done it before everyone else, and DMX is not what so ever "bling rap". you should actually know something about him before you open your mouth.
 
okay, lets get into it. "commercial bling rap" was my generalization for the crap on mtv. there appear to be different reasons why i donot like rappers.

DMX may not be bling, but he is an "I am the ****, i will shoot you in the fcking face if you look at me wrong" rapper

I cannot respect eminem because he seemed to have a drastic change in his style after he got started. he went from "i am the funny white rapper" to "it doesnt matter if i am white, i am the most talented rapper. i am hard."
 
will check it out. there is always a chance i misjudged him. i just dont pickup a liking towards musicians that always look angry and arrogant.
 
maybe in rap and etc they say the word f*&K a couple of times but in rock ,all they do is play guitar,drums and they are explaing their lives so this personal opinions so dont say that rap sucks and rock rules .
 
Originally posted by advanR
i find eminem, dmx, juvenile, and especially jay z dispicable.

commercial bling rap. nuff said.

do i dare to say that your avatar goes along with the type of music you listen to?


I like the old school dmx, juvenile, and eminem. I dont like jay z.
 
dmx still keeps his stuff off the topic of the 20's, the ice, and anything like that. he's been around for all these years, but still hasn't gone to singing about that stuff.
 
I cant say i hate rap b/c i used to listen to alot of rap, but after a while and gettin out of the whole "listen to whatever if cool phase" (14/15 yrs old) i listen to alot more rock than i do rap anymore. Rap is good for dance clubs tho.
 
Well lets put it this way... it's nicer to listen to rap than to watch some of the music vids... personnally I try to get an instrumental version and/or clean versions. I like some of the backround music to rap because it's sorta similar to electronica or that type of music.

Nick
 
Most everyone who says "DURR DURR HEY RAP SUX" has roughly the same IQ as the temperature in my freezer. Don't like rap? Ok! Doesn't mean you need to bash it. That's a very immature and simple-minded way of expressing your opinion of rap.

I personally like all kinds of music, so long as it sounds good. I like DMX, Ice Cube, Tupac, and The Lox...But I also like The Eagles, AC/DC, Lynard Skynard, and Guns & Roses, not to mention I <3 Coco Lee. :)

I loathe Country. I despise "Punk Rock", as it is called. IMHO, it is some of the worst music I've ever had the displeasure of listening to. And oddly enough, most people who I've met who talk about how bad rap sucks listen to punk rock. It is my belief that these "Punk Rockers" are rebelling against mainstream music (Ala rap) to seem cool/hip, much in the same way fans of rap music did years ago. This is just an opinion, though.

Also, many (Not all) of the rappers who talk about selling drugs or doing other crimes have done it before. I've written plenty of rhymes about things I have done, and they're all about getting crime, getting money, or getting wasted. And to address the whole issue of cussing in rap...Well, coming from someone who knows alot about the "life of a thug", you use cusswords that much in everyday speech. I hardly ever get a full sentence out without cussing, it's habbit.

Rhythm & Blues slow music. There's still plenty of R&B music being put out that's good, but R&B is really completely different from Rap, for the most part. Pretty much the only connection that your average Joe would be able to make between the two is that it's mostly done by a black person, which is a fairly biased decision, but I wouldn't expect much more from someone who would bash a type of music simply because they don't like it.
 
Hey, I listen to all kinds of rap; mainsteam, underground, stuff in the middle. There's good qualities in all of them, and it's dumb just to limit yourself to one kind of it.

Now I admit, cash money, nelly, ja rule; I cant take that stuff. But not all mainstream is terrible. Nas, 2pac, Outkast, and Eminem are all worth looking into. And the same for the more underground sound. My favorites right now are Latyrx, atmosphere, blackalicious (your right, blazing arrow is awesome), Del the funky homosapien. Not to mention CANNIBAL OX, the cold vein. One of the best hip hop cds i've heard in a long time. I havn't checked out jedi mind tricks, but it's on my adgenda for when I get some extra cash. Also, theres many good acts that arn't really underground, but arn't mainstream either, such as mos def, the roots, common, and Jurassic 5.

Now for those of you who think rap is just an ignorant type of music with no meaning polluting our airwaves, think that if you wish. Just check out some different hip hop acts first that you might not have heard of. Some might be Aesop rock, cannibal ox, the roots, and Latyrx. Once you know a little bit more about hip hop, even if you dont like it, Im sure you'll have a better respect for it as an art form.

Also, for those of you who only listen to the underground groups no one's ever heard of, check out outkast sometime. You might be surprised someone popular on mtv is good. Also, never use the phrase "Hip hop is dead," or something along the lines of that, because it isn't. True, there are some pretty bad rappers on the media giving rap a bad name. True as well, there are many great rappers out there. You just have to find em. Also, I believe bling bling rap is going to fall soon. Artists such as the roots, atmosphere, and jurassic 5 are getting more and more popular. I heard a friend of mine who usually listens to musicians such as avril lavinge and Big tymers humming "Whats Golden" yesterday. I just smiled.

By the way, one more thing. Dont just bash rap without a reason. There's only one type of music that I'll bash without even thinking about it, and thats modern punk rock. I have no respect for that. Even if you dont like rap, that doesn't make it the worst thing to happen to music. That just means it's not your preference. You should at least respect it as an original type of music with alot of people who love it. log off and listen to your sum 41 cd.

Well I hope i've made my point. By the way, Hi Im Isaac. haha, it's my first post. Anyways, anyone whose reading this needs to check out The Cold Vein by Cannibal Ox. It's so damn good, Im listening to it right now. Peace.
 
Do not post like that again. Read the Acceptable Use Policy in my signature under the "House Rules" link. Consider yourself warned, makan.

You're not helping your cause any, either.
 
Old-School rap is ok. I mean, R&B is OK, I just prefer to listen to more rock. I mean, If I'm at a party, I'll listen to the R&B without complaining. I won't enjoy it or suggest that we listen to it, but I will listen to it if it's played. I guess it's the "b" aspect of r&b that I dislike...
 
Originally posted by neon_duke
Do not post like that again. Read the Acceptable Use Policy in my signauter under the "House Rules" link. Consider yourself warned, makan.

You're not helping your cause any, either.

Right, we do not want another scandal just like what happened in the "What are you listening to?" thread, although it was short-lived.

Now back on topic.

To be modest, I don't really like rap. Only two rap bands I like are Cypress Hill and the Beastie Boys. All the others are just pure ****. No, I'm not stereotypical or something, it's just those two bands I like.
 
Ouch... Cypress Hill which is pro-marijuana... and the Beastie Boys, well, that's one out of two...

Time for the new guy to throw some change down.

I'm a musician. A producer. Many of you might not like the word Producer, because you associate it with sampling music. I'm for any kind of musical expression out there. I don't care if its country, punk rock, metal, rap, or any other pigeonhole music can be crammed into.

Rap has always been a battleground, a controversial topic, a genre someone has to hate. The fact of the matter is, not every emcee is the same. There have been a lot of people in this thread who have expressed the ideas I'm about to divulge. Artists like Common, Mos Def & Talib Kweli, Blackthought, Sage Francis, Rakim, KRS-One, Atmosphere (Slug), Aesop Rock, El-P, and Mr. Lif all have something in common. Socially conscious lyrics. They rap about knowledge people should possess (Five Percenter Wisdom), society's problems, personal issues, anything worth speaking about. What they have to say, is kept to the underground, isn't marketable, or doesn't have a label to shove into the masses. I urge anyone that has a grudge against rap to check out any of the artists myself and any other underground rap fan has listed.

There are definitely more artists out there with the same thought patterns. The Black eyed peas are decidedly about positivity. "Where is the Love?" is on the radio now. This represents one rap group which goes against the perceived grain.

I'm sick of the rap bashing, because I feel I am a representative of the hip hop culture, in what I do to get by.

Although I'm tied into the hip hop culture, I still enjoy every kind of music out there. I'd listen to anything from punjabi music to opera if the mood was right. The point is, don't hate a genre until you see every facet of it. I love emo, I'm listening to Pedro the Lion right now. In the next twenty minutes, Aesop Rock could very well be fed through my TV speakers.
 
Back