Rap aka R&B is crap. What do you tihink about it?Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tercel_driver
  • 182 comments
  • 9,624 views

So, what do you think about it?

  • It is crap. I can't stand it.

    Votes: 54 52.9%
  • Wtf are you talking about. This kicks ass.

    Votes: 38 37.3%
  • Doesnt know/prefer not to give opinion.

    Votes: 10 9.8%

  • Total voters
    102
I'm not going to go into my opinion of rap, I think of it just like any other music. I like some, but I don't like a lot of it, too. I also happen to be a big fan of punk, which ike and ghost c trashed without much evidence as to what they think is wrong with it. It sounds to me like you guys are just as biased against punk as some of the morons in here are against rap. If you don't like a type of music, fine. If you have complete knowledge of all types of bands in that genre of music, fine, go ahead and state what you feel is wrong with it, and i'll respect your opinion, but you guys are just as bad as the people you're criticizing when you say "punk rock and country is crap." Really, there is no way everybody here is going to agree on who likes what, so why not discuss the music you like, and stay away from discussions on music that you don't like.
 
Originally posted by TahirNuri
Ouch... Cypress Hill which is pro-marijuana... and the Beastie Boys, well, that's one out of two...

Time for the new guy to throw some change down.

I'm a musician. A producer. Many of you might not like the word Producer, because you associate it with sampling music. I'm for any kind of musical expression out there. I don't care if its country, punk rock, metal, rap, or any other pigeonhole music can be crammed into.

Rap has always been a battleground, a controversial topic, a genre someone has to hate. The fact of the matter is, not every emcee is the same. There have been a lot of people in this thread who have expressed the ideas I'm about to divulge. Artists like Common, Mos Def & Talib Kweli, Blackthought, Sage Francis, Rakim, KRS-One, Atmosphere (Slug), Aesop Rock, El-P, and Mr. Lif all have something in common. Socially conscious lyrics. They rap about knowledge people should possess (Five Percenter Wisdom), society's problems, personal issues, anything worth speaking about. What they have to say, is kept to the underground, isn't marketable, or doesn't have a label to shove into the masses. I urge anyone that has a grudge against rap to check out any of the artists myself and any other underground rap fan has listed.

There are definitely more artists out there with the same thought patterns. The Black eyed peas are decidedly about positivity. "Where is the Love?" is on the radio now. This represents one rap group which goes against the perceived grain.

I'm sick of the rap bashing, because I feel I am a representative of the hip hop culture, in what I do to get by.

Although I'm tied into the hip hop culture, I still enjoy every kind of music out there. I'd listen to anything from punjabi music to opera if the mood was right. The point is, don't hate a genre until you see every facet of it. I love emo, I'm listening to Pedro the Lion right now. In the next twenty minutes, Aesop Rock could very well be fed through my TV speakers.

yep. how did you forget to add blackalicious to that list? NIA and Blazing arrow are both amazing discs.
 
I dont like mainstream rap (hip hop). Those artists only rhyme cuz they have to sell albums. Just like that song Ludacris did that for 2F2F. I like the beat to that song, and the bass is pretty good. But I wouldnt be caught dead singing along. Basically I really like bass. Got a really sweet system hooked up in the car with subs and all. Sometimes i wish they would have instrumental rap. I just can't stand the talking in rap (yea i know wut ur thinking...), specially considering some of these ppl have some really horrible voices (DMX, Ja Rule,..). And rap isnt the only form of music that rhymes. I listen to Rammstein alot, and I noticed that there is a huge amount of rhymes in their songs. And finally, to ppl who think I have just bashed rap, I want to say that I really considered myself as a rap hater before going thru this thread, but some ppl made good points and I am in partial agreement with some of you. No hating here.
 
I don't feel like reading the thread but I like the old school stuff where they actually talk about stuff. As a whole I have nothing against R&B, but god it ticks me off how every single thing on the radio trys to be all hardcore singing, "Girrrrrrllll You are so FINNNNNNNNE!". R&B from I can figure out is nothing like that, from what I can figure.
 
Originally posted by TheBigOne
"Girrrrrrllll You are so FINNNNNNNNE!".

Thats what makes money. Same with crappy nu-metal and pop-teen-punk.
 
i hate the ****, but man, watching the video for "get low" just makes me smile. hahaha im thinking about the lack of teeth and dirty hair now.
 
Originally posted by MistaY
Bah, i'm not a music expert.

Rap is good when they aren't talking about hoe's, *****es, watches, rings ,clothes, diamonds, gold, chrome, their bentlys and rollin on 20's.

Ok, that pretty much rules out all of it! :lol:

*additional - Wonder why you don't hear any going on about trees and flowers? you could say that is drug related, so what about it?
 
Oh and BTW = I don't care who made it, or what it's about, you hear one rap song, you've heard them all.

In my view, rap is crap, period, and I am not going to change my views on it.
 
wow, do you know how ignorant you are? you do not know what you are talking about. i hate it when people do that.
 
Originally posted by advanR
wow, do you know how ignorant you are? you do not know what you are talking about. i hate it when people do that.

Meh, most of my friends shun my taste in music because I listen to Alt/punk/Metal/Industrial/Indie/etc. They won't even give it a chance, although one of my friends is a real hiphop fan so I can allow him for that. Almost every car that pulls up next to me is playing, 50 cent, ja rule or some crappy pop rap. I just get odd looks if i'm listening to the Foo Fighters, or most of my CD collection.

You know, I am in half a mind to download a few of those reccomended hiphop songs. Because i'm sure the popular stuff isn't the be all and end all.
 
Originally posted by TVRKing
Ok, that pretty much rules out all of it! :lol:

*additional - Wonder why you don't hear any going on about trees and flowers? you could say that is drug related, so what about it?

i think i understand what you mean, but it seems like you are shrugging it off without actual knowledge. we arent talking about happy go lucky lyrics to the theme of "make em say ugh". the whole tone is completely different. intelligent lyrics, creative unique beats. depth. it isnt all gangsta.

think if someone saw a video for good charlotte or blink 182 and said "punk is crap pure and simple". yes its true, pop punk is godawful garbage (i believe most commercial is like this), but TRUE punk is different. whether its your style of music or not, still respect it. (maybe you dont like any type of rap because its not your style, but there is stuff out there that deserves respect. your comments were ignorant.)

i think the cause behind music, makes the music. (if that makes sense). commercial **** is always shallow. punk, rap, boybands, its all patheitc.

im sure tahirnuri can add to this, in a more convincing way.
 
Originally posted by advanR
wow, do you know how ignorant you are?

Yes, and I'm not going to change either. My views stand.
 
Hmmm... sometimes I ask myself why I even bother...

Music is like the Automotive Industry, the car in limited production, which gets the most attention, the most desired, the best performer, is usually the best. This car is the kind of car you wouldn't find in public. Music often takes that form. The every day song you hear from a genre might be the bottom of the barrel (i.e. Geo Storms, you see them everywhere). If you're never going to give something a legitimate chance, why bother even speaking at all? I could generalize all rock stars as druggies with no message who sing their songs to sell albums, but as a fan of the genre, it'd be against my own opinion. It's just as unfair of you to generalize an entire genre for a garbage majority. The best and brightest of HIP HOP actually have things to say!

I'm SICK and tired of this "Heard it once, heard it all" crap, because like cars, hip hop has a variety of flavors everyone has to taste before you can truly judge.

I'm not going to express my disgust for the American or British automotive industry over one car, I'll try 4 or 5 and research thoroughly before bashing a whole category. AND IF YOU'RE BRITISH: There are good british emcees out there. If you want me to list some, so be it.
 
That's what YOU REALLY think. I'm SICK AND TIRED of people thinking rap/hip hop is so better than any other music in the whole wide world. Especially gangsta rap. That music resorts mostly on criminal crap and ****. Rap/hip hop SUCKS ASS, PERIOD
 
Klonie Gun, you have my vote for the most ignorant ****tard in these forums. I don't see why the hell you're even posting in here if you don't like the music. Get a ****ing clue, not everybody is going to enjoy the same type of music, and just because you don't like rap and hip hop doesn't mean it sucks ass.
 
Originally posted by Klonie Gun
That's what YOU REALLY think. I'm SICK AND TIRED of people thinking rap/hip hop is so better than any other music in the whole wide world. Especially gangsta rap. That music resorts mostly on criminal crap and ****. Rap/hip hop SUCKS ASS, PERIOD

it talks about criminal **** because thats what they went through before they became famous.if u listen to songs by tupac you can see that some rappers have really deep songs too, not just songs about rollin' on 22's.

take the song God Bless The Dead by Tupac.he wrote the song for a rapper who wasnt dead yet,but he knew would be soon.he wrote the song not long before he died because he knew he was going to die first and still wanted to show the other rapper the respect he deserved.

or changes,probly the most popular mainstream tupac song.he raps about how the cops discriminate against black people and how life is in the "hood"

just listen to God Bless The Dead and you'll see its not all commercial.
 
Originally posted by TahirNuri
I'm not going to express my disgust for the American or British automotive industry over one car, I'll try 4 or 5 and research thoroughly before bashing a whole category. AND IF YOU'RE BRITISH: There are good british emcees out there. If you want me to list some, so be it.

If your talking about rappers, your probably right (although at the moment I can only think of Roots Manuva as the only english rap artist and I've never heard any of his stuff). If your talking about Garage MC's i'll disregard it, mainly because my brother is a producer (or whatever he makes the beats for some garage songs) and i've heard waaay too much of that, you tend not to like a genre of music when you've heard the same beat and lyrics played about 6thousand times in the same hour just to perfect some incorrect note in a beat that nobody is going to even notice. Also all the cool (well you know cool popular, because i'm not) townies listen to Garage music, so it's another form of pop.

On another note, I downloaded some Aesop rock and it was pretty good.
 
Garage emcees are garbage. Roots Manuva is one of many I'd definitely play on my stereo. There's a difference between underground and garage emcees, being a producer, I can usually tell by sound.
 
British emcees I like: Panjabi MC (yep... he's rapping folks..), Roots Manuva, Ms Dynamite, The Herbaliser, Credit to the Nation, Fun^Da^Mental, Monie Love
 
Originally posted by TahirNuri
Garage emcees are garbage. Roots Manuva is one of many I'd definitely play on my stereo. There's a difference between underground and garage emcees, being a producer, I can usually tell by sound.

Underground, Garage?
I thought you could have Underground Garage and then you have the poppy chart garage stuuf. The stuff my bro produces is just loud, although he likes D'nb too (which is just argh!) it all tends to give me a headache.

Ms Dynamite (teee hee!) is more of a rapper/singer sortof though. Panjabi MC, is sort of pop here (Indian culture on the go, apparently) never heard of the other people.

What kind of stuff does roots manuva rap about?
 
Roots Manuva goes from dancehall type songs to rapping about life, his life, wisdom, and things he experienced growing up... I recommend picking up "Run Come Save Me"
 
Cheers, i'll try and check that out sometime this week.
 
what i really haet about rap is that the artists used stupid words. i was listening to the radio the other day and this rap song comes on. the guy kept repeating "word" over and over again. what does "word" mean?
 
they only did that in like the 80's and early 90's.back when they wore manhole covers on chains and rapper about adidas.
 
Rap is one of the worst types of music that somebody thought of!
It is really weird how it is so popular.Rock Rocks!
You can't spell "crap" w/out rap/!
:banghead: :mad: :mad:
 
Hello, I just joined this board.

I don't like rap music. Personally, I'd be embarrassed if I did. It's just not my style of music. I don't like Hip Hop, R&B, or Soul either. I absolutely hate "gangsta rap" because all that's doing is making people dress in stupid clothes and making them use stupid slang words. Not everyone does that but I still don't like it. I remember one of my friends mention metal to this girl and she said, "NO! Metal is evil!" Where do people get this idea that metal is evil? Oh, well.

One thing I don't like is those people that think they're better than anyone and they listen to rap music because they think it will make them look cool. I don't listen to metal just to look cool. I listen to metal because I like it and I like rock too.

Some people who listen to rap are under the belief that people who don't like rap are racists. I don't think this is true. I'm not racist and I don't like Rap, Hip Hop, Soul, or R&B.

I don't like rap influenced movies like The Fast and The Furious or 2 Fast 2 Furious.

MTV plays too much crap so I just avoid that channel.

I noticed some people said they hate punk rock. I assume they're talking about Good Charlotte, Blink-182, and Avril Lavigne which are terrible bands.

People can listen to rap if they want to. I just prefer not to. Go ahead and call me an ignorant moron. That's not going make me start listening to something I don't want to listen to.
 
...because all that's doing is making people dress in stupid clothes and making them use stupid slang words...
So no other genre of music has ever influenced what type ofclothes and slang words of the listeners? Interesting.

...listen to rap music because they think it will make them look cool...
People like that are stupid, ask them if they even know what the song means sometime.

I don't like rap influenced movies like The Fast and The Furious or 2 Fast 2 Furious.
Not that F&F or 2F2F were good movies, but would you pass up seeing a good movie because you didn't like the music in the background?
 
Back