Rare factory options thread

• Thread starter Heldenzeit
  • 288 comments
853px-Cadillac_Eldorado_Brougham_5.jpg

The 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham came with one of my favorite options, a glove box mini bar. Along with the traveling minibar, the Eldorado Brougham came with other unique features that included a complete woman’s grooming compact and matching leather notebook, a cigarette case, a comb (total deal maker) and an atomizer filled with “Arpege Extrait de Lanvin” perfume. But come on, a mini bar? As a standard feature?

1957-cadillac-eldorado-brougham-minibar.png

I want a starry night effect ceiling on everything! :lol:

You could do a better DIY job than Vauxhall have done with the Adam there!

Based on how that picture is framed in general, it looks more like they just drilled a bunch of holes in the roof.

That's the aftermarket version that the Vauxhall dealer will offer you with his mate round the corner.

Toyota Electro Sensor Panel, I've never seen anything with it, but I've also never seen many old Coronas that it was offered on.

Dunno why the quality is so bad, all the little lights are for various lights and fluids which if they burn out/run low on they'll illuminate
image.jpg

Also Van wagon ice box! Not sure how rare they are, but still unusual.
image.jpg

Is it just me or does this look incredibly lazy and cheap? Considering the price, I would think you'd at least get some real constellations.
I think it's just you, a brand like Rolls Royce wouldn't go cheapo on their cars.

Is it just me or does this look incredibly lazy and cheap? Considering the price, I would think you'd at least get some real constellations.
You can specify it if you want; the headliner is custom tailored to the owner's requests.
For example, the extraordinary Celestial Phantom took the Starlight Headliner to an entirely new level. Built to honour the significant moment when the first New Phantom was unveiled at the Home of Rolls‑Royce, the Starlight Headliner depicts the constellations exactly as they were over Goodwood on that historic day.

One owner wanted the lights to be configured in the shape of his coat of arms, another asked for the configuration to represent the Ursa Major and Minor constellations. While for another customer we created the Rolls‑Royce logo that lights up separately from the rest of the stars.

As one press review put it: ‘Could all this be accomplished by a robot? Probably, but it’s not. Instead, Rolls‑Royce hires dexterous, detail-obsessed individuals from the textile realm and others. The tangible result is a totally different take on heavenly creationism that’s still almost impossible to comprehend.

I think it's just you, a brand like Rolls Royce wouldn't go cheapo on their cars.

Well, material wise I don't think there's going to be much difference at all in cost to the manufacturer. Which leaves the LEDs, which are a pathetically cheap technology. Given McLaren's explanation, it looks like you're really only overpaying for labor.

Well, material wise I don't think there's going to be much difference at all in cost to the manufacturer. Which leaves the LEDs, which are a pathetically cheap technology. Given McLaren's explanation, it looks like you're really only overpaying for labor.
They're not LEDs, either.

Considering the entire headliner is done by hand for 9 hours at bare minimum (up to 17 hours depending on what the owner wants) by only 2 people, has up to 1,600 perforated holes that are counted & then 1,300 lights hand woven into the fabric, I would refrain from continuing to assume it's "cheap" or "lazy". There's a reason Rolls-Royce only hires people with decades of experience in these areas to produce their cars, and it shows in person; it is extremely high quality work.

Youtube the Channel 4 documentary about Rolls Royce. I seem to recall they feature the headlining option. It's a fascinating watch.

They're not LEDs, either.

Considering the entire headliner is done by hand for 9 hours at bare minimum (up to 17 hours depending on what the owner wants) by only 2 people, has up to 1,600 perforated holes that are counted & then 1,300 lights hand woven into the fabric, I would refrain from continuing to assume it's "cheap" or "lazy". There's a reason Rolls-Royce only hires people with decades of experience in these areas to produce their cars, and it shows in person; it is extremely high quality work.

I never meant to imply that RR actually is cheap (I couldn't begin to argue that with any seriousness), just that to me the whole ceiling thing looks cheap in a tasteless/tacky way. Just my own opinion; to me it doesn't look right inside such a high-brow vehicle. "Lazy" was a comment on the posted images, which look like a bunch of randomly-spotted lights, not knowing they did custom work with intricate constellations and other designs.

I never meant to imply that RR actually is cheap (I couldn't begin to argue that with any seriousness), just that to me the whole ceiling thing looks cheap in a tasteless/tacky way. Just my own opinion; to me it doesn't look right inside such a high-brow vehicle. "Lazy" was a comment on the posted images, which look like a bunch of randomly-spotted lights, not knowing they did custom work with intricate constellations and other designs.

I think seeing one in person would change your mind. It's really incredible, and gives the sensation of having no roof over your head on an impossibly clear night, without any of the negatives of having no roof.

Sadly, I don't think that'll ever happen. But who knows, maybe one will show up at Concours Denver one of these years and I can bug the owner to show me.

Back