Rare factory options thread

• Thread starter Heldenzeit
  • 288 comments
I think only Euro market cars have the bug eye lights. I've never seen a US car with them. Also fun fact, the little vent next to the headlight was only offered on launch edition cars and doesn't actually vent to anything.

40101d1347255734-trd-2000-ae-101-trd_2000_brochure_2.jpg

A few Honda things I found recently.

EG navigation system:

5G_JDM_1994_Civic_Honda_Access_Catalog_P04.jpg

HONDA%252520CIVIC%252520SiR%252520II-8.jpg

And the glass mounted antennae for it to work:

HONDA%252520CIVIC%252520SiR%252520II-4.jpg

Honda Access EK navigation system and GYRO unit

htup-1207-17-o%2b1996-honda-civic-cx%2bek9-navigation-system.jpg

DSH_4801.JPG

Actually found one of these at the junkyard. Might try and pick it up next time I'm there.

Not sure this could be considered rare. Although, only 6,500 were made. The 2005 only Lexus RX330 Thundercloud Edition. Came with unique wheels and Thundercloud Metallic (only made for 2005).
E9DD81EB-0111-4208-BBC8-CB1B4AD0AD72_5.jpg

I know it's a boring crossover/SUV, but I enjoy "geeking" out over the obscure stuff that barely gets talked about.

Another one. The Lexus GS300/400 L-Tuned Package. Suppose you could call it the TRD of Lexus (at the time) with some add on bits. One piece side skirt, wheels, and grill. I had one... Wish I kept it.
33d7a54c8f646362eb500dc4f5e3f467.jpg

Rare factory option for the SW20 MR2 that I managed to get my hands on. Front luggage tray.

Bottom left
13108857_1775928969303546_451479711_n.jpg

As you can see from the last few photos it can fold out flat and be packed away in the boot if required.
I use it to hold my tool kit. It's a bit damaged but not something you see, ever so it's quite special.

Another weird Toyota one; the Rescueman.

rescueman.JPG

Underwent several design changes throughout the early to late 90s, but the basic gist of it is that one end is a pair of heavy duty scissors (or a sharp blade on newer versions), and the other is a hammer.

rescueman 2.JPG

The idea is that the Rescueman is close to hand if you're trapped in your car after a bad accident. The blade / scissors let you cut the seatbelt in two, and the hammer is designed to smash a window so you can climb or crawl out. They mount on a bracket which is either screwed or taped to the plastic trim by the footwell.

rescueman 3.JPG

Probably the rarest option to be posted in this thread - Volcanic Ash Countermeasure Option for the FR32 and HR32 Skylines.

GTR Registry
This option was available for cars sold in the Kagoshima (Kyushu) area where there is an active volcano.
This option included:
1. Changing the exterior coated molding to chrome coated molding.
2. Washer reservoir size was increased.
3. Wiper size was increased.
So how rare is his option? Well it is only listed for FR32 and HR32 4 door sedans. GTR-Registry.com has the production info of all 313k R32s, but not a single car actually has 9 listed in its model code. So... so rare it doesn't even appear to actually exist!

15032073_721282021360556_4838077510896890602_n.png
15032091_721282048027220_2288308590777803552_n.png

Cayenne wheel carrier:

414072d1264035999-is-this-a-new-option-spare-tire-carrier-transsy2.jpg

Porsche Tequipment dealership option.

Quadrasteer was quite rare- it was an option mostly exclusive to GMC trucks and cost about $5,600 (later reduced to $1,000 to help boost sales) on its own. It was designed to help reduce the turning radius and improve maneuverability with trailers; the rear wheels could turn as much as 12 degrees if need be. The system was only around for a couple of years before getting completely abandoned, with only a few Sierra Denalis and Tahoes receiving it during production.

Quadrasteer was quite rare- it was an option mostly exclusive to GMC trucks and cost about $5,600 (later reduced to $1,000 to help boost sales) on its own. It was designed to help reduce the turning radius and improve maneuverability with trailers; the rear wheels could turn as much as 12 degrees if need be. The system was only around for a couple of years before getting completely abandoned, with only a few Sierra Denalis and Tahoes receiving it during production.

I wish I got a picture of the one I saw! I honestly thought it was some crazy person driving around with their rear wheels bent when I first saw it.

As @boiltheocean said, I enjoy this thread for the oddball options that I've never heard of. It's fun to learn the obscure things in the auto industry. Love geeking out on this stuff.

The Quadasteer worked really well up until you had to fix it. A buddy of mine had a truck with it and I remember trying to help him fix it in his driveway and we had no idea how it really worked. The internet didn't have much information on it either and the dealer tech's really didn't know much about it and wanted some stupid amount of money to fix it. When it worked though it was a super cool feature and from what I've read GM still hasn't given up on the concept. With trucks getting bigger and longer, something like this makes sense.

====

Oh and the post about the Toyota Rescueman, I got mine yesterday after it's been in customs in LA for what seems like forever.

1KEpU8T.jpg

Mercedes Magic Vision Control wipers with the spray nozzles built into the blade, introduced as an option in 2013 I don't think they have been all that popular due to the cost of the replacements and the need to have it taken to a dealer to be changed.

Found this at the local junkyard the other day - Gathers VX-496 cassette player.

mfM8xWq.jpg

Apart of the Honda Access options (assuming Honda's form of dealership installed options), it was available to select models - so far I've found the EK Civic (which I grabbed it from), CRV, Integra, and Integra Type R which got reskinned in the faux carbon orange lighting, and called the VX-496R -

IMG_6099.jpg

This unit was optioned as a standalone cassette unit with an isolated disc changer (which was sadly already taken). However, they also came with a disc player (like the one above (also this variant, with a screen I presume, and this, which seems to be another cassette?) and also a variant with a TV!

megussan5003-img600x450-1452594524w4hlh616984.jpg
megussan5003-img600x450-1452594523scpvqp16984.jpg

Thanks to @GDII, I managed to power it up and test the lights and front flip function:

QaRFBBb.jpg

GM CRT Info Screens
buick_reatta_89_lg4.jpg

You know how every new car has that infotainment screen in the dash? Well, they can all trace their roots back to the late 1980s. Both the Buick Reatta and the Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo had an optional CRT screen that took place of the regular head unit. It could display things like oil life, radio stations, and in the Toronado's case basic navigation.
007.jpg

The most amazing thing about the Olds' screen though was that it was touch capacitive- something unheard of at that time period.

(Skip to 3:18 to see it in action)

Guys, I wonder how you managed to pull some pdf files of old brouchres using wayback machine? I tried to several japanese car sites and I failed...at least I was able to download this 300ZX Fairlady image from Nissan japanese site.
fairlady2-large.jpg

Ahh, anyways...I guess these might count as "rare" options, no?

BPQi5nKh9vj.jpg

BPQixPbBJmj.jpg

BPQim14hgcC.jpg

Sorry for the low quality :guilty:

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back