Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
Went plinking in rain today(more pics). I don't have a truck, so beggars can't be choosers! :D Guys I went with this time, they knew different spots to shoot & the one we ended up at was WAY better. It stopped raining shortly after arriving, so it was fun just shooting whatever we want(both guns & targets) for couple of hours.

ggg.jpg
gggg.jpg

g.jpg

My new Glock 19 is shooting low. I wonder if it's the aftermarket front (night)sights it has on. I'll have to do something about that. HK was flawless, dead on.

ggggg.jpg

This dude, he knew almost nothing about guns.... Except that he had one(passed on by family). He researched to see what this shiny revolver was & it ended up being brand new Colt Python. It was something that's been stored away for decades, never shot. He brought it out today & was he was having a good time. It was a treat for me as well. You don't get to shoot one of those everyday. :D

gg.jpg

After that mishap with the crap laser boresighter, I worked on sighting in my new scope/red dot kit today. Scope needs little more work, but the red dot is right on the money. It was so much fun. I've seen these things on handguns & I never understood why. I totally get it now. :embarrassed:

I went out to the range today as well! I'm much better at an outdoor range than an indoor range. Got better with both the .30-30 and my Glock 43.

Tried to park behind a beautiful 1959 Chevy Biscayne and scraped my passenger side wheel. :irked:

Also, my friend's Mossberg .308 had a hangfire. He sat down to take the first shot with a rifle he hadn't fired in years, racked one in, pulled the trigger, and nothing. He dropped the internal magazine and before he could pull the bolt back, it fired. His hand was nowhere near the trigger guard. :scared:

I'm not gonna lie, I'm still nervous to shoot. When shooting USP, I'm actually little bit scared. But I posted all that stuff, I even blogged it, because I think spreading what I learned & experienced in the ordeal was kind of important.

I studied a lot of cases posted online with same style case blowout in the chamber like with my USP & most of them were handloads. I was convinced that it was the ammo soon after it happened & after seeing the evidences from all other similar incidents, that opinion has not changed. I decided not to disclose the ammo brand, because the company was totally professional with me & in the end, did right by me. I also believe that similar things could happen with any manufacturers out there. My impression is that it truly was an isolated incident.

Some people online says that USP is designed to blow up in such a way, it disperses the pressure safely, minimizing injury to the shooter. I don't know if that's true, but it sure worked out for me! :D

You've essentially posted why I jokingly give you a hard time on your like of HK. Glad you were unharmed, but this is a long documented issue with various HK platforms. For a gun company that asks so much I would really not expect this kind of thing on even a small scale.

He dropped the internal magazine and before he could pull the bolt back, it fired. His hand was nowhere near the trigger guard. :scared:
I wonder if it was mechanical with the trigger, or the typical primer issue. That's super scary. I've never seen that happen. :nervous:
You've essentially posted why I jokingly give you a hard time on your like of HK. Glad you were unharmed, but this is a long documented issue with various HK platforms. For a gun company that asks so much I would really not expect this kind of thing on even a small scale.
Like I said in that post, most similar cases I found involved reloads(blown case, stuck in chamber). Is it your impression that's probably just coincidences, and the problem lies with the design, or build of the HK? Or both the gun & load/charge in the ammo?

P.S. And I realize it's just banter, but for the record, Heckler & Koch isn't my favorite manufacturer or anything. USP was something that just came along in a classified ad when I was looking for something new. I even tried to move the USP I have right now, and the new gun I've been shopping were Glocks and S&W revolver in .357 Magnum.

Is this a widespread issue, and/or is it certain models? I'm pretty positive I'm going to be buying one, everything I've read is they are super reliable, but I haven't exactly looked up "exploding Hk's". :lol:

Is this a widespread issue, and/or is it certain models? I'm pretty positive I'm going to be buying one, everything I've read is they are super reliable, but I haven't exactly looked up "exploding Hk's". :lol:
It would've been so cool if such study existed.... but I've never seen it. Even popular guns like Glocks, it's just online posters debating, nothing based on reputable data. :crazy:

No round is chambered
I would hope so. Just be careful about having live guns sitting around - you never know when some clueless visitor is going to touch one.

I see it's also on Safe. No worries, then.

Can an AK chamber a round while on Safe? It looks like the safety is designed to block the bolt.

I would hope so. Just be careful about having live guns sitting around - you never know when some clueless visitor is going to touch one.

I see it's also on Safe. No worries, then.

Can an AK chamber a round while on Safe? It looks like the safety is designed to block the bolt.

Yeah you can't pull the bolt carrier back all the way if the safety is on so you have to flip the safety off to chamber a round.

Why not!? j/k :P

Very cool rifle. I wish I had one. :drool: Maybe I'd have one if it wasn't for that stupid Russian import ban. :crazy:

Galil, is that the Israeli rifle?

Thanks, luckily it's a Bulgarian Arsenal so they can still be freely imported in. Yeah the Galil is Israeli but mines a kit build so I have enough US made parts together to meet 922r. Still waiting to get it back.

AQIzaSK.jpg

Finally remembered to swing by the sporting goods store today. I was at a new rifle shop on Saturday, before going shooting, but all they had was that HST or whatever "Micro". :crazy: Today at the sporting goods store, they had bunch of different self-defense rounds & I picked out the Speer Gold Dot.

DSC_0197.JPG

At least I think this is one of the two @Blood Eagle or @Brett was recommending. I think it was $23.99, but they had only one box. At least I'll get to test it out. :)👍

Edit: Just noticed the "+P" & "Short Barrel" on the box. I've never fired +P anything before. I'm not sure what they mean by short barrel, but I'd be shocked if that affected anything shooting it in Glock 19. :crazy:
Yes it is. Fun fact, the lip of the Galil's receiver had to be reinforced because the troops were using it as a bottle opener and bending it. I think they added a bottle opener in the bipod as well.
They may have another kind of problem then. A drinking problem. :dopey::lol:
Yeah the Galil is Israeli but mines a kit build so I have enough US made parts together to meet 922r. Still waiting to get it back.
Sweet. I hope you get to share a pic or two on here soon. 👍

Sweet. I hope you get to share a pic or two on here soon. 👍

Luckily I already have pics of what it will look like since I've had one before :D

Had to sell for funds when I was between jobs unfortunately.

Last edited:
I just finished cleaning two handguns(Glock & HK) from Saturday. AR, I cleaned Monday. This is one part of the hobby that will never grow on me. :P

Luckily I already have pics of what it will look like since I've had one before :D
Is that a seatbelt sling? It looks like it. :lol: Don't get me wrong, it's very cool. Rifle looks awesome. Looks to be 5.56? I'm sorry you had to sell it before, but I'm glad you are getting one back. My good friend sold a AK, and he's had a SKS since, but he hasn't been able to put together enough funds to buy anything more. :crazy:

Finally remembered to swing by the sporting goods store today. I was at a new rifle shop on Saturday, before going shooting, but all they had was that HST or whatever "Micro". :crazy: Today at the sporting goods store, they had bunch of different self-defense rounds & I picked out the Speer Gold Dot.

View attachment 647809

At least I think this is one of the two @Blood Eagle or @Brett was recommending. I think it was $23.99, but they had only one box. At least I'll get to test it out. :)👍

Edit: Just noticed the "+P" & "Short Barrel" on the box. I've never fired +P anything before. I'm not sure what they mean by short barrel, but I'd be shocked if that affected anything shooting it in Glock 19.

Those are equivalent to HST Micros. Short barrel aka compact. Most if not all HSTs and Speer Gold Dots will be +p or even +p+. Those are higher pressure than normal rounds. You just have to make sure the pistol you fire them from is rated for +p or +p+. Most pistols are though so shouldn't be a problem. My Browning Hi Power is not rated for +p but that's because it's an old gun that was around before +p ammunition was. Even though they are the compact version, they will be fine.

I just finished cleaning two handguns(Glock & HK) from Saturday. AR, I cleaned Monday. This is one part of the hobby that will never grow on me. :P

Is that a seatbelt sling? It looks like it. :lol: Don't get me wrong, it's very cool. Rifle looks awesome. Looks to be 5.56? I'm sorry you had to sell it before, but I'm glad you are getting one back. My good friend sold a AK, and he's had a SKS since, but he hasn't been able to put together enough funds to buy anything more. :crazy:

Yeah it's a seatbelt sling. It's actually very comfortable for a non-padded sling. http://www.echo93.com/_p/prd1/2671005011/product/sbs---fde.

And yeah it's 5.56 also. 35 round magazines. I can't find a 50 rounder that isn't over $200 anymore :boggled:.

Those are equivalent to HST Micros. Short barrel aka compact.
So many of these subcompact ammo around. In fact, everything I've been running into are low recoil or micro. :irked:
Most if not all HSTs and Speer Gold Dots will be +p or even +p+. Those are higher pressure than normal rounds. You just have to make sure the pistol you fire them from is rated for +p or +p+. Most pistols are though so shouldn't be a problem. My Browning Hi Power is not rated for +p but that's because it's an old gun that was around before +p ammunition was. Even though they are the compact version, they will be fine.
Yeah, I was aware that Glock 19 could handle +P, so I wasn't worried. It just caught me off guard!
I can't find a 50 rounder that isn't over $200 anymore :boggled:
50 rounds. Sounds heavy. :lol:

Spent $39 at gun shop today. Glock 19 magazine & 100 rounds of 9mm. I love this country.
Question for everyone: What's your dream gun? The only rule is it has to already have been made.
I don't have a dream gun, but dream shooting spot would be nice. :D

As for guns I want, but can't have, they have to be military select fire rifles. Like M4. I'm sort of surprised by how Americans are big on Second Amendment, but very little support for civilian ownership of assault rifles(not the Fake News fictional assault rifles, but actual assault rifles).

It doesn't really bother me though, I'm not even a U.S. Citizen. When I was a little kid in Japan, one of my dream guns were M16:

tumblr_ms5mvu6Xfi1sfkw0no1_1280.jpg

Today, I have a similar rifle in Bushmaster 308 like at the top of this page(I know, semi-auto, .308, blah blah), so nothing in particular I feel I have to have.

Close enough.

Question for everyone: What's your dream gun? The only rule is it has to already have been made.
Same as @a6m5, there's a lot of fully automatic weapons that would be awesome to have, but probably expensive as hell to own and shoot. Here's a couple guns I would consider dream guns.

IMG_4802.JPG

This

IMG_4803.JPG

And this

IMG_4804.JPG

Basically a glorified AR-10, at an outrageous price, but would be awesome to have.

IMG_4806.JPG

That's kind of my dream hand gun, One of the best, if not the best, .45's ever made. 👍

My favorite bb gun of all-time was MP5, just like the one in the pic. We used to have wars on the streets, tall apartment buildings, on fields, etc.(got away with a lot when you were still in grade school & in Japan). What I really wanted was M16 bb gun, but they were very expensive.

Just asked my dad - it was a Harrington & Richardson single-shot of some sort. He called it the "Featherlight" but not sure if that's a variant of a model.

My favorite bb gun of all-time was MP5, just like the one in the pic. We used to have wars on the streets, tall apartment buildings, on fields, etc.(got away with a lot when you were still in grade school & in Japan). What I really wanted was M16 bb gun, but they were very expensive.

Hey, I have an airsoft MP5.

IMG_20170527_224020.jpg

So, when I shot my Glock 19 for the first time, it was shooting low? I remembered how these Gen 4 Glocks come with smaller grips now(SF, or short frame), then they include 4 different straps to customize it. If you leave it alone, you will end up with the SF, which I didn't think I would mind. Since I was doing fine with the Gen 3 Glock 17(non-adjustable grip), but was shooting funny with the Gen 4, I decided to try the larger grip next time I go shooting:

0.JPG

With beavertail, too. Grip feels like of a different gun. I have no idea how it'll affect how the gun will shoot, but it should be interesting. :P

Latest Posts

Back