Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,847 comments
Lots of armed Police on the streets of the UK at the moment for obvious reasons. Standard issue is certainly the HK G36 these days and not the MP5, perhaps due to greater threats of vehicle based attacks.

Lots of armed Police on the streets of the UK at the moment for obvious reasons. Standard issue is certainly the HK G36 these days and not the MP5, perhaps due to greater threats of vehicle based attacks.

Well that and because it's an actual rifle round so it's likely to have more stopping power, especially against targets that you suggested as well as those with armor or improvised. The MP5 while having it's own merits isn't something you use in the same light as a rifle like the G36, because it's a lower range and accuracy (especially full auto) sub machine gun. In close quarters it is a great gun but the G36 can do the job as well and then some. The MP5 is still used and I can remember where but I'm pretty sure at the MET it is also used. G36 is just the new majority.

Well that and because it's an actual rifle round so it's likely to have more stopping power, especially against targets that you suggested as well as those with armor or improvised. The MP5 while having it's own merits isn't something you use in the same light as a rifle like the G36, because it's a lower range and accuracy (especially full auto) sub machine gun. In close quarters it is a great gun but the G36 can do the job as well and then some. The MP5 is still used and I can remember where but I'm pretty sure at the MET it is also used. G36 is just the new majority.
I haven't heard any reports of British police making any shots at any significant range, so it's interesting to go to 556 over 9mm unless you have a specific threat in mind. Which makes me wonder why they aren't paired with a 762 carrying officer instead.

I think we're still yet to see an incident in the UK of a threat wearing any protection, probably because they intend to die, and body armour is still going to take you out of the fight for a period of time if hit (like a horse kick to the chest!)

I haven't heard any reports of British police making any shots at any significant range, so it's interesting to go to 556 over 9mm unless you have a specific threat in mind. Which makes me wonder why they aren't paired with a 762 carrying officer instead.

I think we're still yet to see an incident in the UK of a threat wearing any protection, probably because they intend to die, and body armour is still going to take you out of the fight for a period of time if hit (like a horse kick to the chest!)

I imagine they're expecting threats like that due to what has been happening over the last ten years especially in regards to counter terrorism. As I said the specific threat is probably what they see coming through cables all the time as potential attacks, and probably form that data, they've gotten an idea of what weapon they need if able to defend.

The 9mm out of the MP5 makes it through the unarmored terrorist and into the innocent bystander behind him. The 556 tumbles, breaks apart and dumps most if not all of its energy into the terrorist.
I think thats the main reason for choosing the rifle over the sub gun.

The 9mm out of the MP5 makes it through the unarmored terrorist and into the innocent bystander behind him. The 556 tumbles, breaks apart and dumps most if not all of its energy into the terrorist.
I think thats the main reason for choosing the rifle over the sub gun.
Ah interesting. Not an aspect I'd realised (and a quick review of YouTube ballistic gel testing seems to support it).

By the way, 9mm out of the Mp5 will make it through a lot of soft body armors since the 9x19 used in sub machine guns are loaded to much higher pressures and velocities. In the Mp5 barrel those 9mm reach near .357 mag level.

image.jpg

I ordered this book the other day from Amazon, it has over 30k models of guns in it and prices for each one. It has a lot of other really useful information in it as well.

I need to figure out the grading system a little better, each modern firearm has a 100%-60% grade range, and antiques/older guns go from 100%-10%. Any gun that's been fired, can't be higher then a 95%, and I think that's light shooting and really excellently taken care of.

I don't really know why I bought it, it may come handy some day. :)

I don't really know why I bought it, it may come handy some day. :)
I bought a buyer's guide......... when I was like 12, or 13. It was right around when we migrated to U.S. & I had never even dreamt of being able to own a gun. I just had good time checking out different guns & prices. :D

I can't buy such a guide book today. I'm still trying to figure out how I ended up with four handguns..... 💡:P

I just got a call from CarrierComp, my titanium ammo tube for my Benelli M4 should arrive next week. That will take my Ammo capacity from 4+1 to 7+1.

Replacing the existing tube with the new one, I'm 90% sure I could do it myself, but I think I'm going to take it to a gunsmith. You have to heat up the thread in the receiver with a heat gun, and turn it a bit at a time to break the loc-tite. It seems simple enough, but it's a $1800 gun, and an aluminum receiver. I think I'll play it safe.

Popped my reload cherry Friday night. Put these 50 in the empty box that held the first batch of .44 mags I bought retail and shot through my Redhawk. I shot the first 6 I loaded to make sure I was comfortable with the charge, then loaded 50 more at half the price you see on that box. It'll be even less once I start recycling the brass I bought. A friend from work who's been reloading for years has taken me under his wing in this arena and just bought a Lee 4 hole turret press. He let me break it in on this batch of cartridges. 240gr bullet and the charge is anywhere between 9.5 and 9.9 grains. CCI300 primers in Starline brass.

Hopefully in the next year or so I'll get all the rest of the equipment and supplies to load at my house and add .45ACP and 30-30 in there as well. Already have a die set for the .44 and a digital caliper. Just need all the rest of it. Already got me some spreadsheets set up to record data with.

20170603_094934.jpg
Reload1.PNG

Last edited:
My Silencerco threaded barrel for Glock 19 showed up today :embarrassed::

View attachment 652122 View attachment 652120 View attachment 652121

I kinda wish I lived in Washington now(silencer legalized).
I'm still debating on if I'm going to get a threaded barrel on my .45 when I get it. On one hand, it would be really cool to have, on the other it's pricey and kind of seems like a pain in the ass to go through. (Getting the silencer I mean)

I'm still debating on if I'm going to get a threaded barrel on my .45 when I get it. On one hand, it would be really cool to have, on the other it's pricey and kind of seems like a pain in the ass to go through. (Getting the silencer I mean)
It's not legal in your state either then? I know that Trump was pushing to change at least the Federal law on silencers, but I don't know what came of it.

I'm not gonna lie, I got this just as a toy-accessory for my Glock, and I don't plan on doing lot of shooting with it. It was $162(shipped), so I just wanted to try it out, hope that silencers get legalized in the near-future. I might even play around with a compensator down the line.

It's not legal in your state either then? I know that Trump was pushing to change at least the Federal law on silencers, but I don't know what came of it.

I'm not gonna lie, I got this just as a toy-accessory for my Glock, and I don't plan on doing lot of shooting with it. It was $162(shipped), so I just wanted to try it out, hope that silencers get legalized in the near-future. I might even play around with a compensator down the line.
They are legal here, you gotta fill out a bunch of paperwork for the ATF, plus send fingerprints in, get your local sheriff to sign off on it, and it's a $200 dollar fee before you even buy the silencer. It's an eight month or sowait for the ATF process. You can set up a "gun trust" to make it go quicker, but that's another couple hundred bucks.

It's basically the same amount of effort/backround check as it is to be able to get a fully auto weapon. (Not quite as expensive of course).

Last edited:
They are legal here, you gotta fill out a bunch of paperwork for the ATF, plus send fingerprints in, get your local sheriff to sign off on it, and it's a $200 dollar fee before you even buy the silencer. It's an eight month or sowait for the ATF process. You can set up a "gun trust" to make it go quicker, but that's another couple hundred bucks.

It's basically the same amount of effort/backround check as it is to be able to get a fully auto weapon. (Not quite as expensive of course).
So Trump really needs to change that law with the ATF, even if state law allows it. :crazy:

My understanding of full-auto Class III & stuff like silencer, handgun stock, etc. Class III are two totally different animal. From what I read long time ago, full-auto are pretty much impossible, unless you are a operator of gun shop/range in the industry. Silencers, etc. are very doable, but I think you are probably right about the fees, paperwork, etc.

So Trump really needs to change that law with the ATF, even if state law allows it. :crazy:

My understanding of full-auto Class III & stuff like silencer, handgun stock, etc. Class III are two totally different animal. From what I read long time ago, full-auto are pretty much impossible, unless you are a operator of gun shop/range in the industry. Silencers, etc. are very doable, but I think you are probably right about the fees, paperwork, etc.
I was being a bit facetious. :lol: But you can buy pre 1986 fully auto weapons from a class III dealer, if it's legal in your state. You have to go through an extensive background check, and they are stupid expensive because there is only so many of them. Some of the sears on those guns are 10k+ alone. You can't own any post 1986 fully auto, unless you're a dealer or a manufacturer.

Edit: actually from what I'm reading, it's the same kind of setup/background check as getting a surpessor, you have to send fingerprints in and paperwork to the ATF, and your local sheriff has to ok it as well. (My local Sheriff shares my last name, :) )

I don't know the percentages of approval rates though, if it's a lot harder to get ok'ed for a fully auto compared to a surpressor.

Here's a link:

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-legal-f...grade-fully-automatic-assault-rifle-in-the-US

Last edited:
See, I did remember how the gun had to be ancient(or pretty old). It's understandable why the law is the way it is, but it's disappointing. Just my personal opinion.

We were talking about the M249"S" at work today(:drool:). Earlier, girl at work was talking about how she wants to win a lottery, so she could get an Subaru STI. I don't have a dream car, but I mentioned how if I won the lottery, I think I want M249S in tan.

FN_M249S_FDE_Rotators_1-1800x825-1200x550.png

Very cool, even if semi-auto. :embarrassed::P
My local Sheriff shares my last name
WTF.... (j/k, I'm jealous) :lol:

Funnily enough, I have a 249 in Airsoft trim. That thing is gigantic...are you sure you need a BFG?

Something's fishy with the new layout edit feature. I wrote a statement, then edited it 3 times, and it posted 3 different messages.

Anyways in response to @a6m5, I've been saving for a new vehicle too. I was looking at new STI's, they start around 32k. I've also been looking at new trucks, 30k-40k+. I've also been thinking, I can spend 20k-25k on a really nice used vehicle, and have all the extra money left over to buy other nice things, like guns.

Everything nice is so damn expensive these days.

Last edited:

You have to do that with any state when it comes to items for firearms like that @a6m5. No state allows you to just go out and own silencers, which is what I think @prousonhairy is getting at as well in this commentary.

Funnily enough, I have a 249 in Airsoft trim. That thing is gigantic...are you sure you need a BFG?
If it's about the need, I'd have stopped at a Glock 17, a .22 rifle & maybe a shotgun. :P:lol:
Something's fishy with the new layout edit feature. I wrote a statement, then edited it 3 times, and it posted 3 different messages.
I thought I broke something when I posted last. This is going to take getting used to. :lol:
Everything nice is so damn expensive these days.
For me, guns have stayed affordable(of course, I don't own a super hot Benelli either lol), but the vehicles.... :crazy: I want a SUV or truck, but I'd have to make payments & it's hard to justify car payments right now. Vehicle vs Toys!
You have to do that with any state when it comes to items for firearms like that @a6m5. No state allows you to just go out and own silencers, which is what I think @prousonhairy is getting at as well in this commentary.
Yep, I understood completely from his post earlier. 👍

Question for everyone: What's your dream gun? The only rule is it has to already have been made.
Well.. Ive already got my K98. Already got my Mosin. I'd like to get a m1903 or a Garand, but the last one im looking for is a good .338 platform.

No clue yet as to what it will be.

Right now its the new Truvelo CMS 20x110 rifle. What can I say, I love shooting really large caliber big guns at very long ranges. Plus this thing is a beauty. :drool:

Truvelo_145CMS_004_zps0leyhluf.png

Truvelo_145CMS_009_zpsz8w6zx7x.jpg

QvQG5_zpsnhvwztjf.jpg
Are you sure that's a gun? Good lord, those 20x110s are massive. I ought to call that an autocannon instead. :lol:

Back