Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
Right now its the new Truvelo CMS 20x110 rifle. What can I say, I love shooting really large caliber big guns at very long ranges. Plus this thing is a beauty. :drool:

Truvelo_145CMS_004_zps0leyhluf.png

Truvelo_145CMS_009_zpsz8w6zx7x.jpg

QvQG5_zpsnhvwztjf.jpg

I hate you... now I have another rifle to add to the list.

IMG_4817.JPG

It finally arrived today. I'm going to my cousins house tonight and we are going to put it on. I was going to take it to a gunsmith, but my cousin has worked on a ton of guns, and he thinks it will be pretty simple. If not, he knows a gunsmith we can go to. Wish me luck. :)

View attachment 654031

It finally arrived today. I'm going to my cousins house tonight and we are going to put it on. I was going to take it to a gunsmith, but my cousin has worked on a ton of guns, and he thinks it will be pretty simple. If not, he knows a gunsmith we can go to. Wish me luck. :)

Shouldn't be too hard. Not too familiar with a Benelli M4 but have taken a magazine tube off of a Mossberg 500 by heating up the receiver to melt the factory locktight. Only advice I have is make sure the follower isn't plastic or else it might melt. If it's a metal follower it shouldn't be a problem.

Shouldn't be too hard. Not too familiar with a Benelli M4 but have taken a magazine tube off of a Mossberg 500 by heating up the receiver to melt the factory locktight. Only advice I have is make sure the follower isn't plastic or else it might melt. If it's a metal follower it shouldn't be a problem.
I'm going to remove the follower and spring before heating. The new ammo tube came with a USA made Wolf Spring and follower, to get me on the path of that 922r compliance bull:censored:.

I'm going to remove the follower and spring before heating. The new ammo tube came with a USA made Wolf Spring and follower, to get me on the path of that 922r compliance bull:censored:.

Cool. I was a little uncomfortable with how hot I actually had to get it to liquify the Locktight.

IMG_4818.JPG

New ammo tube is on. I'm really happy with the way the finish matches the gun. It was easier than I thought it would be. It only took a few minutes of heat from the heat gun, and it broke loose pretty easily. The biggest pain was getting the snap ring/retaining ring out.

I loaded it up and it held 7-2 3/4 inch shells in the tube, and one in the chamber. Really happy with that upgrade, it was a several month wait and $200, but well worth it to me.

View attachment 654059

New ammo tube is on. I'm really happy with the way the finish matches the gun. It was easier than I thought it would be. It only took a few minutes of heat from the heat gun, and it broke loose pretty easily. The biggest pain was getting the snap ring/retaining ring out.

I loaded it up and it held 7-2 3/4 inch shells in the tube, and one in the chamber. Really happy with that upgrade, it was a several month wait and $200, but well worth it to me.
Isn't 7+1 what the military spec M1014 capable of holding?

Isn't 7+1 what the military spec M1014 capable of holding?
Yep. 👍 All I really have to do now if I want, is get the Benelli C-stock($250 I think) and it's basically the M1014.

Speaking of stocks, today was the first time I've taken mine off, it just screws off and it's super easy to remove, so it would be easy to put the C-stock on.

So I now own a 509 with 3 extra free magazines. The gun feels great in the hand with a buttery delicious trigger.

If the cz really does have a better trigger, it must be incredible. The fn feels like a pulling a knife through a soft pad of butter with a nice snap and a similar reset. Feels much better than the PPQ.

The mag releases are also perfect. Perfect location, easy to actuate on both sides, and shoots the mags out.

Last edited:
So I now own a 509 with 3 extra free magazines. The gun feels great in the hand with a buttery delicious trigger.

If the cz really does have a better trigger, it must be incredible. The fn feels like a pulling a knife through a soft pad of butter with a nice snap and a similar reset. Feels much better than the PPQ.

The mag releases are also perfect. Perfect location, easy to actuate on both sides, and shoots the mags out.
I heard about this thing recently from a coworker. Looks awesome.

There's a new official sniper record. 2.2 miles by a Canadian sniper. That's pretty insane. They say the bullet took 10 seconds to get to the target, an ISIS fighter in Iraq.

http://www.newsweek.com/world-record-sniper-kill-isis-iraq-canada-628156?amp=1

He was using a McMillan Tac-50.

Which you can pick one up yourself for about the same price as a Barrett .50 cal.

Not surprised it was the Tac-50, it's been the go to long range rifle for Canadian Snipers and has held the last couple of longest range records. It's also been on my list of guns wanted, since they're built locally here. And because I've read it's better than the Barrett.

There's a new official sniper record. 2.2 miles by a Canadian sniper. That's pretty insane. They say the bullet took 10 seconds to get to the target, an ISIS fighter in Iraq.
I read about this yesterday. I couldn't believe what I was reading. Incredible.
It only took me 220 pages but I finally did it.
So happy for you right now Omnis. Congratulations. :cheers:

Still having a hard time wrapping my head around this. According to my calculations an object in free fall covers 500 meters in 10 seconds. So the shooter had to calculate for a half a kilometer drop. Not to mention a mild 5 mph wind would have blown the bullet several hundred meters to one side.

If its true that was a One in a Billion shot. :drool:

Still having a hard time wrapping my head around this. According to my calculations an object in free fall covers 500 meters in 10 seconds. So the shooter had to calculate for a half a kilometer drop. Not to mention a mild 5 mph wind would have blown the bullet several hundred meters to one side.

The ten seconds thing is still blowing my mind. That's a long time. Imagine you just pulled the trigger, then count to ten. And yeah props to this guys spotter for sure.

A bullet isn't in free fall though, would it drop 500 meters?

The ten seconds thing is still blowing my mind. That's a long time. Imagine you just pulled the trigger, then count to ten. And yeah props to this guys spotter for sure.

A bullet isn't in free fall though, would it drop 500 meters?
Physics, bullets are subject to the same gravitational acceleration as any other object on earth. A bullet that is going at 3000fps is falling as fast as a flower pot pushed from a window. So as soon as the bullet leaves the barrel its practically in free fall.

The bullet would not be in free fall if it had wings to get aerodynamic lift, but its completely neutral. If shot at an angle it is also not in free fall.

Fun fact; if the bullet would spin backwards it would gain massive lift because the air pressure below it and above it would change, as seen here in this simple demonstration:

Last edited:
Physics, bullets are subject to the same gravitational acceleration as any other object on earth. A bullet that is going at 3000fps is falling as fast as a flower pot pushed from a window. So as soon as the bullet leaves the barrel its practically in free fall.

The bullet would not be in free fall if it had wings to get aerodynamic lift, but its completely neutral. If shot at an angle it is also not in free fall.
The inertia of the bullet going forward, doesn't slow its decent rate at all?

Edit: they are real similar in decent rate. It has to do with air drag as well. You're pretty damn smart @Michael88 . :)

https://www.wired.com/2009/10/mythbusters-bringing-on-the-physics-bullet-drop/amp

Apparently myth busters did an episode on this as well.

Last edited:
The inertia of the bullet going forward, doesn't slow its decent rate at all?
If shot in a neutral angle to the center of the earth, no. The bullet is aerodynamically neutral, it does not produce any lift or down force, its in free fall.

To absolutely accurately predict its drop you have to know how aerodynamically shaped it is on its side because it is still subject to air resistance when it falls towards the center of the earth. A smooth bullet is going to fall a little faster than lets say a flat brick. But its it is in free fall as soon as it leaves the muzzle. If you know how long it takes the bullet to reach its target you can predict its drop by using the simple formula for gravitational acceleration here on earth.

I'd imagine the Coriolis effect comes into play over a range of 2.2 miles.
Its effect would still be minimal compared to what even the slightest breeze would do to that bullet. If you had a 5mph crosswind at those ranges and you would not make accurate calculations you would miss your targets by several hundred meters.

Also, something nobody has talked about yet - with what kind of optics can you see a human target at 2 miles? I can't think of any short of a huge 60x spotter scope. I'm not aware of any rifle optics that allow you to see targets this far, even if the target guy was wearing a bright glowing red dress.

I have a 16x scope and I'd have problems aiming at a man sized targets at 1000 meters, let alone 5 times that range.

If you fire a bullet from a weapon with the barrel perfectly level and drop a bullet at the same time, they'd both hit the ground at the same time assuming of course the ground is also level. Doesn't matter in the least how hot the load is, either.

As far as the magnus effect goes, I had a model airplane when I was a kid with rotating wings which used the magnus effect to generate lift, much like in the video.

If you guys want a free education on extreme long range shooting, check out Rex's stuff. This guy just basically made a free master's/PhD level sniper course for youtube.

Here's the complete playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxUn

At those extreme ranges, even a few degrees different in ammo/barrel/ambient temperatures can affect your shot. These Canadian snipers are analytical geniuses, no doubt about it.

Going back to pistols, I should also mention that I also handled a Beretta APX today. Oh my god, I hated it. It felt like a wet sponge, and it had so many different weird safeties that you couldn't even manipulate the gun.

Its effect would still be minimal compared to what even the slightest breeze would do to that bullet. If you had a 5mph crosswind at those ranges and you would not make accurate calculations you would miss your targets by several hundred meters.

Also, something nobody has talked about yet - with what kind of optics can you see a human target at 2 miles? I can't think of any short of a huge 60x spotter scope. I'm not aware of any rifle optics that allow you to see targets this far, even if the target guy was wearing a bright glowing red dress.

I have a 16x scope and I'd have problems aiming at a man sized targets at 1000 meters, let alone 5 times that range.

The shooter had a team of spotters, one of whom was near the target. The shot had to be calculated rather than visualized, I'm sure.

I have to ask myself, was it a single, isolated person the target @3,5km away?
The shooter had a team of spotters, one of whom was near the target. The shot had to be calculated rather than visualized, I'm sure.
still..

Sure, but the main thing I do not get is the sniper would have had a hard time aiming at the target simply because at those ranges the reticle is several times wider than a human target. It covers the guy completely. How do you aim at a target that is way smaller than your reticle?

I once watched a video of a guy shooting at 2000 meters and he had to use a 10 x 10 ft red painted plate perfectly centered behind the target to be able to aim at it because his crosshairs would cover the actual target completely.

And that was under perfect conditions with extremely top notch equipment, and he could barely aim because the mirage was so bad he could only see a red blot instead of a red square from all the ground heat and the different layers of air moving between him and the target.

Here we are talking about nearly twice that range..... :odd:

Back