Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
Have you cleaned the magazines? If you have not, then you might disassemble them and clean the magazines. Sometimes they are packed with stuff that can ever so slightly bind them up. They also tend to be easier to load after cycling them some too.

Last edited:
So I cut that notch out with an exacto knife and the cam loader works now. You need some MAN ****IN HANDS though. I have huge hands and I can't manage to load a 15-rounder. Can only get maybe 8 at a time. And loading numbers 16 and 17 are just impossible. Do magazine springs get easier with time? These seem ridiculously stiff. I don't remember my aunt's guns being as hard to load as these friggin FN mags. And even the ETS glock mag is easy to load by comparison.

Funny story-- I actually got the magazine stuck in the loader. I cut the notch out but forgot about the flat-face on the back of what essentially became a ramp. I was SO pissed. Had to search for 2 hours for a thin-enough but strong-enough screwdriver to pry the retention clip back.

Yes the spring will likely get easier to load the more they get used. New springs can be a pain. There are also people you think springs will sag out and lose springiness (for lack of a better word) if you leave ammunition in the mag for long periods of time. This is untrue. Springs wear out by being used. The more load them and use the mags the tougher your fingers will become and be more accustomed to it and the springs will have less tension the more they are used.

There's gotta be something binding though. Even pushing the follower down is notchy as hell and doesn't even want to depress until it "breaks" free. I will definitely clean and lube everything after the first range trip.

Just picked up my second firearm: A Walther PPS M2 9mm since they're offering the $100 rebate on them.

I've always liked the Walther PPQ, but since I decided to go the CZ-75 route, I didn't see the point of picking up two full-size handguns so back to back (regardless of caliber). Having wanted a slim conceal carry firearm for awhile, I had mostly been considering the Ruger LC9s, since that's made right here in Arizona. However, after watching videos on the takedown for that firearm, I went with the Walther since that takedown is almost as easy as the M&P Shield's.

I never was emotionally drawn to the Shield or the Glock G43 and thus never really considered them.

They couldn't have made multiple shots because otherwise they would have just mortared or bombed the area. It wasn't a target rich environment, it was a target surrounded by noncombatants. That's why they necessitated sniper team action
A few stray 50 cal or a few stray mortars (as you bracket the target)/air strike definitely do not have the same effect...

Being surrounded by non combatants doesn't mean he was in a crowd, but potentially on a roof or in a densely housed area.

foboCNM.png

Here's a pic of the new addition with his new "Big Brother" of sorts. Mostly been trying to decipher what they say to each other since neither one speaks a language I can understand.

Yes. Any pistol that has a shoulder stock on it is technically an SBR.

This and the fact it is less then the required length, also the other equipment along with what you mentioned make it an NFA items. So form 1 is needed, I mean I don't really see the point of turning a hand gun into that, when it's so much easier to just get an SBR AR. Or if you want light and small, a carbine.

I mean I don't really see the point of turning a hand gun into that, when it's so much easier to just get an SBR AR. Or if you want light and small, a carbine.
It just looked like a fun way to plink with my Glock, and it was just couple hundred bucks.

foboCNM.png

Here's a pic of the new addition with his new "Big Brother" of sorts. Mostly been trying to decipher what they say to each other since neither one speaks a language I can understand.

Nice, I've had my PPS M2 for about six months, great little single stack, carry it a lot. Just picked up its big brother a couple days ago, PPQ 5":

35425427093_6434507c4d_c.jpg

Both have great ergonomics but the PPQ has an exceptional trigger. Here's my favorite angle of the gun:

36190192986_0b0f0ecfee_c.jpg

As I've already posted in the pics of yourself thread, this is me shooting an 1853 P53 Enfield rifled musket from the American civil war. :dopey:
Notice the relatively small cloud of muzzle smoke. Muzzle loader powder smoke is extremely exaggerated in movies and TV shows. Its just a puff of smoke that quickly vanishes and does not block the shooters view much.

mWCltft.jpg

g50KOxh.jpg

8DkhPrQ.jpg

The enfield P53 belongs to the worlds last batch of muzzleloader rifles, immediately after the war cartridge rifles took over rendering them all front stuffer obsolete.
Of course, this makes them the most advanced muzzle loaders in existence. It was made in Great Britain and shipped mostly to the rebels because they did not have the means to produce rifles like the North did, so they had to import rifles.

The P53 shoots a 555 grain .577 cal pure lead conical just a tad under the speed of sound, giving it an effective range of approx 500 yards - to hit a man sized target reliably. The bullet is extremely easy to load, it just slides down the barrel, even a fouled barrel. Each shot removes the fouling from the previous one, making cleaning the rifle between the shots unnecessary.

.577 lead conical next to a 7.62 bullet. The grooves hold a lubricant which prevents lead and powder fouling from ''baking'' onto on the bare metal. Upon firing the hollow bottom of the conical expands from the pressure so it grabs the rifling.

5nEeURv.jpg

A 7 shot string shot at 55 yards. Notice one damaged bullet that hit the paper perfectly sideways.
But why oh why does it shoot so high? It is meant to shoot that way. Soldiers would aim at the mid section of an enemy soldiers torso - At 50-100 yards this would mean a hit in the upper region of the chest, at 150 meters a hit in the chest, and at ~ 200 meters a hit in the belly and further out into the abdomen. All very disabling hits without adjusting the sights. At longer ranges soldiers would flip up the ladder sights and make adjustments.

FTm8FDD.jpg

As you can see, a rifle from the 1850's can be just as accurate as a modern rifle. Those were quite effective firearms. And they are a lot of fun to shoot. Lots of gun, big bullets powder, smoke, muzzle flash, great accuracy and a satisfying cannon-like boom. :dopey:

Last edited:
I got this in my email box today. I think this is that Turkish handgun? 20 rounds capacity & that's gray cerakote on the slide.

cia canik tp9sfx 9mm.PNG

:drool:

I got this in my email box today. I think this is that Turkish handgun? 20 rounds capacity & that's gray cerakote on the slide.

View attachment 667970

:drool:
That thing looks sick.

I just got back from a day out at the range and mini golf.

Here's what I shot:

1. M1 Garand
  2. KSG
  3. Baby Eagle
  4. USP
  5. Ruger MkIII
  6. Beretta Neos
  7. Desert Eagle (.44)
I got video of all but the Neos, and those will come the next time I have Wi-Fi.

Being a veteran (5-1 AD), I've been fortunate enough to shoot a lot of different weapons systems. M-16's , I was a saw gunner, so I had to carry around an M249B for a while, lots of fun to shoot, not so much to have slung in a formation. I've also had to maintain qualifications on the .50 BMG and the Mk 19 (40mm automatic grenade launcher) weapons systems. Both of which are among my favorites that I've fired. That thump-thump-thump when the Mk 19 fires is so awesome. Not to mention the countless grenades we got to throw. Those are something you can really feel the explosion of in you chest.
I've also had the fortune to get to fire the M1 Abrams main 120mm cannon while our DATs were out qualifying. I also got to fire an AT-4 while in basic. Funny story with that. We had a competition (can't remember what it was off hand, the best PT test score or something I'm sure) and the top 4 got to fire either the AT-4 or set up and detonate a claymore. Well the other guy who fired the AT 4 ended up nailing the front berm on the range, sending the rocket flying crazy into the air. Never seen so many people hit the dirt at once!
Got some more range stories, those though I'll save for another day.
As for guns. Believe it or not, we own none. Gaming, cars and house projects have taken the bulk of our money and time. We have been discussing getting a few systems. There is a great shop in Grand Rapids called Mr. Gun Dealer. (Mrgundealer.com) that has a great selection and good prices. A buddy of mine also owns an armory out in Arizona (Arizona Veterans Armory). So we got a number of options to get some good weapons.
We are gonna have to do some looking for sure, but I definitely have a want list. The KelTec PLR22, an AR-15 and a scar being among the tops. The wife just wants a 9mm. Looking to get her a 1911 of some sort.
I look forward to getting contribute some more to this thread. Maybe even getting out on the range or woods with some if you. Any of you hunt in Michigan, what would be a good rifle to get in regards to the recent regulation changes?

AR-15s are dirt cheap right now. I don't shoot enough, so I can't justify $500 for a AR, then another $500 for optics & some magazines(do own a AR-10). They must be a fun rifle to plink with though. :drool:

AR-15s are dirt cheap right now. I don't shoot enough, so I can't justify $500 for a AR, then another $500 for optics & some magazines(do own a AR-10). They must be a fun rifle to plink with though. :drool:

Never understood though why people would just buy them when they're that cheap, because most of those selling them at that price aren't top end manufactures. Or even mid range, so I can't justify throwing away 500 when I could get a well made handgun for that price or even shotgun.

Never understood though why people would just buy them when they're that cheap, because most of those selling them at that price aren't top end manufactures. Or even mid range, so I can't justify throwing away 500 when I could get a well made handgun for that price or even shotgun.
They are M&P, DPMS, Bushmaster, etc. Yes, they aren't Daniel Defense, but for casual shooters, I think they are fine. My AR-10 is a Bushmaster .308, and for shooting couple hundred rounds a year or something like that, I feel like they are more than fine. *shrug*

They are M&P, DPMS, Bushmaster, etc. Yes, they aren't Daniel Defense, but for casual shooters, I think they are fine. My AR-10 is a Bushmaster .308, and for shooting couple hundred rounds a year or something like that, I feel like they are more than fine. *shrug*

Where are you seeing those prices for Bushmaster and DPMS because the lowest I'm seeing is 700 + on Cheaper than Dirt. Point being if this was an across the board thing then I'd see the excitement but once again I don't see this $500 range. Hell the lower receiver from DPMS and Bushmaster is $280-320. Also Bushmaster, DPMS and even M&P to some, would be regarded as higher end or established manufactures. They may not be Armalite or Rock Rivers, which is what I suggest people invest in (I actually suggest Bushmaster too, because they're quality rifles). What I saw for $500 dollars were companies I never heard of or slightly like Diamondback, which is based in my state and the only reason I know about them. They're also crap.

If you can show me an authorized place for an ar 15 at that price from those companies please do. Also I would never point out Daniel Defense or even LMT to people because that is the highest of high when it comes to AR 15. That'd be like me suggesting .338 Lapua from Sako or Tac or Steyr, when Savage and Remington exist.

Latest Posts

Back