Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
AR-15s are dirt cheap right now. I don't shoot enough, so I can't justify $500 for a AR, then another $500 for optics & some magazines(do own a AR-10). They must be a fun rifle to plink with though. :drool:

Never understood though why people would just buy them when they're that cheap, because most of those selling them at that price aren't top end manufactures. Or even mid range, so I can't justify throwing away 500 when I could get a well made handgun for that price or even shotgun.

Or you could do what I have done: buy an AR-15 and all of the parts to build a second. I have yet to shoot the rifle. I have built the lower for the second, but have not built the upper. I do not have all of the tools I need to assemble an upper receiver just yet. I also still need to stake the castle nut on the lower after tightening the castle nut with something other than just my hand.

Where are you seeing those prices for Bushmaster and DPMS because the lowest I'm seeing is 700 + on Cheaper than Dirt. Point being if this was an across the board thing then I'd see the excitement but once again I don't see this $500 range. Hell the lower receiver from DPMS and Bushmaster is $280-320. Also Bushmaster, DPMS and even M&P to some, would be regarded as higher end or established manufactures. They may not be Armalite or Rock Rivers, which is what I suggest people invest in (I actually suggest Bushmaster too, because they're quality rifles). What I saw for $500 dollars were companies I never heard of or slightly like Diamondback, which is based in my state and the only reason I know about them. They're also crap.

If you can show me an authorized place for an ar 15 at that price from those companies please do. Also I would never point out Daniel Defense or even LMT to people because that is the highest of high when it comes to AR 15. That'd be like me suggesting .338 Lapua from Sako or Tac or Steyr, when Savage and Remington exist.

S&W M&P 15 Sport II and Ruger AR-556 can be found pretty regularly between around $430 to $475. Pretty much any time I buy anything gun related, I check the Gundeals Subreddit to see if there has been a better sale or what the generally best sale price for an item has been in the past.

If you can show me an authorized place for an ar 15 at that price from those companies please do.
I see them from all the local gun shops in town. Here are just couple of examples:

cor.PNG
corr.PNG

Sometimes, they have rebates that brings them down closer to $450, if not lower. I think I saw one ad that brought the final price down to $429, after rebate. I bought a Glock instead in "need vs. want". :crazy:

I see them from all the local gun shops in town. Here are just couple of examples:

View attachment 668133 View attachment 668134

Sometimes, they have rebates that brings them down closer to $450, if not lower. I think I saw one ad that brought the final price down to $429, after rebate. I bought a Glock instead in "need vs. want". :crazy:

Well then that's you, when I see someone stating guns running for a certain price, most times it is something you see be common place nation wide. I haven't seen the same numbers like I said 680 seems to be the lowest. But I can't even fetch that price right now because it would take some convincing to justify the purchase.

If I could find an ar for 450 from those guys here, I'd settle I think.
Or you could do what I have done: buy an AR-15 and all of the parts to build a second. I have yet to shoot the rifle. I have built the lower for the second, but have not built the upper. I do not have all of the tools I need to assemble an upper receiver just yet. I also still need to stake the castle nut on the lower after tightening the castle nut with something other than just my hand.

S&W M&P 15 Sport II and Ruger AR-556 can be found pretty regularly between around $430 to $475. Pretty much any time I buy anything gun related, I check the Gundeals Subreddit to see if there has been a better sale or what the generally best sale price for an item has been in the past.

That's been my intention to be honest, is just buy the parts and basically do a "build a bear" but with an AR 15 and then down the road perhaps an AR 10 to have a 308, or get an FN or bolt action. No real reason to have 308 in semi other than to say you do in my eyes. But the .223 has always been such a versatile gun and easily modded that I think that is the best way to go. You not only get the gun you want but you also get it for less then the top end market like DD. I could buy RR parts for less than a complete gun if I recall. So thank you for the reminder again, like I said I find cheaper deals on the net then I do local shops here lately.

You can always get a FN-FAL in .308, they run for about 800 bucks or so, (with some part kits being cheaper), same as a quality bolt action in the same caliber. And they are plenty accurate and extremely reliable.

You can always get a FN-FAL in .308, they run for about 800 bucks or so, (with some part kits being cheaper), same as a quality bolt action in the same caliber. And they are plenty accurate and extremely reliable.

Yeah, this is true, I just didn't know what the FN-FAL ran for, but that would probably be the .308 of choice if I had the money. To be honest I have a large list of bolt actions that I want down the road in the near future, none are .308.

Well then that's you, when I see someone stating guns running for a certain price, most times it is something you see be common place nation wide.
I just googled Phoenix, AZ gun ad(I think you are in zona), and within seconds had Ruger AR 15, for $480-something. I highly doubt it's a regional trend. :crazy:

I just googled Phoenix, AZ gun ad(I think you are in zona), and within seconds had Ruger AR 15, for $480-something. I highly doubt it's a regional trend. :crazy:

I said in my last post that if it was that price I'd expect it to be a "national trend", never said it was regional. Said maybe it might be a deal going down where you're at. Also what gun shop or dealer was it through that you saw the price?

Yeah, this is true, I just didn't know what the FN-FAL ran for, but that would probably be the .308 of choice if I had the money. To be honest I have a large list of bolt actions that I want down the road in the near future, none are .308.
Sounds expensive!

I know the heart wants what the heart wants, but if you don't own a bolt gun yet and you have a .223, the .308 really is a damn sweet choice. Especially if you do not reload.

I said in my last post that if it was that price I'd expect it to be a "national trend", never said it was regional.
I realize that. That's why I was providing you with the pricing information from a dealer in Arizona showing similar prices on a AR15, below $500.
Also what gun shop or dealer was it through that you saw the price
I can't link it from my phone, but I'll check the name again..... It was Tombstone.

I went to the range for the first time in quite some time. It went okay. The front sight screw on the Mark IV had managed to loosen itself and I had not realized it. Apparently, I did not do a good enough job cleaning one of the BX-25 magazines I have for the 10/22, as I had a few issues with it not wanting to load rounds. Guess I need to do a better job cleaning.

I went to the range for the first time in quite some time. It went okay. The front sight screw on the Mark IV had managed to loosen itself and I had not realized it. Apparently, I did not do a good enough job cleaning one of the BX-25 magazines I have for the 10/22, as I had a few issues with it not wanting to load rounds. Guess I need to do a better job cleaning.
On my Remington 597, stock magazine problem caused jam every 3 rounds or so. It was my first gun, and it scarred me for life. :lol: Since getting new magazines, it's been flawless. I haven't cleaned them, but I shoot very little of the. 22s.

I think I shot 200 rounds through the 10/22 yesterday. Before that and prior to apparent poor cleaning effort, each of my BX-25 magazines had seen 400-600 rounds each. It is a whole lot of fun to shoot assuming the magazines cooperate.

A little off topic, but I've got a model 700 Remington .223 that has the trigger recall, LOL! Anyone else? Just saw it on 60 Minutes last weekend. Too much lube, so they say. Daaamn! Side effects of high production speed. Oh well?!?

Sounds expensive!

I know the heart wants what the heart wants, but if you don't own a bolt gun yet and you have a .223, the .308 really is a damn sweet choice. Especially if you do not reload.

I have guns that's why, I just never show them on here because I don't feel they're anything special to begin with. That's why for years on the thread I contribute but just keep it at that. I've had a .22 for years, have had .223, couple shot guns. My main focus really is hand guns and bolt for large game hunting down the road. And just to have fun and try to learn to precision shoot on my own. I agree the options I'm looking at are expensive, but that is why I'm taking my time and just saving and doing my homework on what I want or should get first. The .308 is great, I just never really had much interest in them outside of an FN and even with that I'd love to go for a FAL but would probably end up wanting a SCAR down the road.
I realize that. That's why I was providing you with the pricing information from a dealer in Arizona showing similar prices on a AR15, below $500.

I know hence me asking for the dealer or location to see.

I can't link it from my phone, but I'll check the name again..... It was Tombstone.

Is that the name of the gun shop, or where it is located. Cause Tombstone is a small town in Arizona, and wouldn't surprise me if it were located there knowing the history of the place.

. My main focus really is hand guns and bolt for large game hunting down the road. And just to have fun and try to learn to precision shoot on my own.

What game size are we talking about, north American game or dangerous African game? For North American game .308 is plenty, maybe its on the low end for large grizzly bear.

What game size are we talking about, north American game or dangerous African game? For North American game .308 is plenty, maybe its on the low end for large grizzly bear.

I don't have the money to chase African game nor see the point other than helping control populations and help fund game reserves. So really it would be stuff here. The .308 is good for but I prefer .300 win mag or 30-06 for the bigger hunting just because it will obviously get the job done but does some things better ballistic wise or distance wise. Other options would be .270 and or 7 mag two of which I never looked into. As for smaller game, I would probably stick to .22 at worse and .223 at best. Thus .308 for me falls into an area that is more of owning to say "hey I have a gun chambered in .308" rather than any real purpose. I don't see it as something I'd use for competitive 3 gun shooting if I got back into that, I don't see it as a home defense weapon. Hunting to me is the main goal for what I'd use it for, but with so many other rifles that do the job as well or better, the only thing I see going for it is the expense in ammo being much lower than others.

However, if I'm only hunting something ever so often out of the year, that expense is quite moot.

My advice, if you don't like .308 but want to go bigger don't stay at .30 caliber like 30-06 and .300 WinMag. They shoot little heavier .30 cal bullets a little faster, but in the grand scheme of things the differences to .308 are not that dramatic. You can make a .308 200 grain pill go 2600 fps, the same bullet of the .300wm goes 3000 fps, close to 3100 if you really push the pressure. The 400 more fps are bought with more than twice the $$, much more blast, recoil, a bigger gun and 1/3 of the barrel life. The .338 Lapua is not that much better than a hot 300WM either.

If you want a big hunting cartridge for whatever reason go with something bigger, like the .375 H&H, it shoots a 270 grain bullet at 2600 fps. A popular bullet, Ruger makes rifles chambered in that caliber. Or go all the way with a .458 Winchester Magnum, if you can stand the recoil. The .458 shoots a .45 cal 500 grain pill at 2200 fps, great for elephant, charging rhino and the likes. Also a pleasure to reload thanks to the universal .45 bullet diameter. And CZ and Ruger make rifles in .458.

Also, today I bought some new Italian Slugs, not sure if they are only available in Europe but boy, are they hot. If you hate yourself I can highly recommend them as they will beat you up really good. They're 500 grains at 1700 fps! Turns my double barrel shotgun into a short range dangerous game double rifle. :scared:

3667_baschieri_e_pellagri_thrillshock_slug.jpg

Is that the name of the gun shop, or where it is located. Cause Tombstone is a small town in Arizona, and wouldn't surprise me if it were located there knowing the history of the place.
That was the name of the shop. Maybe that's the town name also, I don't know. It came up for gun shop search in Arizona.

I think I shot 200 rounds through the 10/22 yesterday. Before that and prior to apparent poor cleaning effort, each of my BX-25 magazines had seen 400-600 rounds each. It is a whole lot of fun to shoot assuming the magazines cooperate.

That's all I shoot anymore.
Modified 10/22 with the BX25.
After I ETS'd out of the military I got into alot of different rifles, shotguns etc.
But I always came back to the .22
with 32g stingers.

Air guns, AKA .177 cal, are decidely not airsoft. There's a difference. :lol:

You're absolutely correct, my apologies. I saw "airgun" and read "paintball" not "BB gun".

And yes I know a match-grade .177 airgun isn't quite the same as a Daisy.

XXI
That's all I shoot anymore.
Modified 10/22 with the BX25.
After I ETS'd out of the military I got into alot of different rifles, shotguns etc.
But I always came back to the .22
with 32g stingers.

Part of me really wants to build a 10/22. The other part of me does not really feel like reading about the different parts manufacturers and figuring out what I would want.

Part of me really wants to build a 10/22. The other part of me does not really feel like reading about the different parts manufacturers and figuring out what I would want.

Yes there's thousands of options.
I knew nothing about weapon mods when I did mine.
In the Army, everything is provided and you're not allowed to modify anything.
I wanted a build that was lightweight, so I went with a whistlepig aluminum barrel.
I put in a volquartsen 2lb trigger but did not like it.
I changed out to the BX drop in trigger from Ruger and love it.
Added a Magpul HTR stock, Nikon prostaff scope...Done.
All in under $700, it's very smooth and quiet.
Borderline 1" groups at 50yds using CCI stingers.

I have been considering the Magpul stock. The new backpacker stock looks interesting, but not particularly suitable for how I use the rifle.

Back