Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,847 comments
It seems far more likely that he was aiming at a crowd or area - the pyschological damage to the enemy would be the same after all. That's not to say it was an easy shot of course - it bloody wasn't :)
thats what I was thinking. of course it ain't easy.
BUT
it makes a world of difference for @Michael88 calculations ;)

Sure, but the main thing I do not get is the sniper would have had a hard time aiming at the target simply because at those ranges the reticle is several times wider than a human target. It covers the guy completely. How do you aim at a target that is way smaller than your reticle?

I once watched a video of a guy shooting at 2000 meters and he had to use a 10 x 10 ft red painted plate perfectly centered behind the target to be able to aim at it because his crosshairs would cover the actual target completely.

And that was under perfect conditions with extremely top notch equipment, and he could barely aim because the mirage was so bad he could only see a red blot instead of a red square from all the ground heat and the different layers of air moving between him and the target.

Here we are talking about nearly twice that range..... :odd:

Maybe they use an artillery platform to precisely dial in a firing solution. Lol.

So I was just thinking that now that I have all these magazines, I should probably get a range bag. What do you guys use?

I started out with one of these: Midway USA Compact Competition Range Bag. One of the zippers on the main compartment jacked up, so I bought one of these: Midway USA Competition Range Bag. It comes with one of these: Midway USA Competition Stage Bag. I have since picked up another Stage Bag.

The normal bag is on the large size; it is probably larger than I would prefer. Size wise, the Compact one is a good size. If I had to do it over, I would probably have picked up another Compact bag and bought a Stage Bag or two. Or I might have purchased two of these: Pistol Range Bag.

I'm thinking about getting the Vertx Transit EDC. That thing looks sweet. Might as well get something I can use every day. I'm not at the point where I need an ammo mule or something to lug a huge ass rifle.

So I was just thinking that now that I have all these magazines, I should probably get a range bag. What do you guys use?
Used to use Maxpedition Versipack. Still do sometimes in combinations with my rifle bag..... or cheap Ogio backpack.

ogio backpack.JPG

There is a backpack in the background....

If I was just taking one of my handguns out to the range, I would take the gun out in the plastic factory case & ammo+gear in Maxpedition or backpack.

It's real sad when anyone dies(I guess?), but how damn stupid are people these days?

This guy and his pregnant girlfriend wanted to get famous on you tube, so he had his girlfriend shoot at him with a .50 caliber handgun while he was holding a big phonebook (one second...:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:) thinking that the phonebook would stop the bullet. Well guess what happens next? Yeah, he's dead. I mean, how frigging dumb do you have to be, to try something like this.

It was his idea, so I don't feel bad for him at all. I kind of feel sorry for her, but not that much.

Here's a link, it's kind of misleading because it wasn't really an accident, the gun didnt misfire, she was aiming at him holding s phonebook. They should replace "accidentally", with "stupidly":

Pregnant woman accidentally shoots, kills boyfriend during YouTube stunt
http://via.fox2now.com/wt2YD

I feel very sorry. Very sorry that stupid people damages gun rights.

I was just watching the news about this guy who climbed up & touched the power line. They said "sad" & "tragic" like five times on the news. That's not tragedy, he was 🤬 idiot who endangered people around him. If kid touches downed power line & dies, I'd consider that a tragedy!

Not to mention that they could've pulled off the trick (not siding with them, I swear) if they used a very low caliber round instead.

Pregnant woman accidentally shoots boyfriend during YouTube stunt

There is people so stupid you'd think they'd forget how to breathe or eat at any moment and die. But thats wishful thinking. They always manage to procreate though.

Not to mention that they could've pulled off the trick (not siding with them, I swear) if they used a very low caliber round instead.

AFAIK even a sub sonic .22 goes through at least 1 phone book. It really does not take much to get through one of those books, heck, a thrown spear will go through one.

Last edited:
It's real sad when anyone dies(I guess?), but how damn stupid are people these days?

This guy and his pregnant girlfriend wanted to get famous on you tube, so he had his girlfriend shoot at him with a .50 caliber handgun while he was holding a big phonebook (one second...:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:) thinking that the phonebook would stop the bullet. Well guess what happens next? Yeah, he's dead. I mean, how frigging dumb do you have to be, to try something like this.

It was his idea, so I don't feel bad for him at all. I kind of feel sorry for her, but not that much.

Here's a link, it's kind of misleading because it wasn't really an accident, the gun didnt misfire, she was aiming at him holding s phonebook. They should replace "accidentally", with "stupidly":

Pregnant woman accidentally shoots, kills boyfriend during YouTube stunt

Shouldn't this go in the guns thread since this is usually just for showcasing guns and being a community outside that idiocy.

No, as @Michael88 says a .22 could do it as well, the factor that takes place isn't energy or size of the round but the velocity. It's why many people like using shotguns with buck shot (myself being one) or birdshot opposed to say a 9mm or anything fmj. Because those have the chance to go through someone and keep going or if you miss go through a couple of walls before it stops.

All in all the trick shouldn't be attempted unless your a professional, and why he though he knew physics at any level of this type of scenario is beyond me, but there is the Darwin award at work.

Edit: here's Rex's take on the shot

Sooo, "Rich Target Environment" is what the experts say.
Not unlike what I thought. Thanks.
This "record" then, is not so good in my book, for more than one reason.

Last edited:
So I talked to some of the guys at work about the new record shot (several small arms instructors). First response was always "lucky shot", but also likely it wasn't just one shot, and a very good spotter.

Effectively, at that range the target wouldn't have much idea they were being shot at (faint muzzle blast, sub-sonic bullet). So a few shots would have been fired and adjustments made. The hard part is the spotter has to call the round hit and make the adjustment because the shooter is firing way, way off target by this point. It also helps the shooter if he has points of reference to aim off, like a building. Allows his to return to the previous point of aim and then make the adjustments from the spotter. Otherwise he's just picking out different bits of blue sky. Tough.

Or, he could have just pretended he was in the artillery :lol:

They couldn't have made multiple shots because otherwise they would have just mortared or bombed the area. It wasn't a target rich environment, it was a target surrounded by noncombatants. That's why they necessitated sniper team action

I'm of the impression that the truth is somewhere in the middle. If it actually did go down the way you are suggesting, it would've been a reckless shot, as the shot was taken from distance never successfully recorded from before. They could have easily hit the wrong person! :crazy:

I got a pair of Smith Aegis Arcs. Friggin amazing eyewear. Finally some sunglasses that fit my face like an absolute glove. They're perfect. Now I can go hunting with Dick Cheney without worrying about my vision.

Since Oakley tests their glasses to safety glasses standards, I just wear one of these:

OO9102-92-M1-540x540

Holbrook in sweet multicam.

So, big news: ETS finally released their CAM loader.
Wow, that is pretty trick. It would be pretty cool to have when plinking. One thing that sucks more than picking up trash & brass after plinking is loading!

Or your handgun blowing up in your face, but I heard that's pretty rare....

No work on 509 mags. :banghead: Gonna see if I can cut a notch into it to accommodate that little metal tab.

No work on 509 mags. :banghead: Gonna see if I can cut a notch into it to accommodate that little metal tab.

Maglula is another option. I have used it with at least five different pistols and it has worked great for all of them.

952670.jpg

I know, but that still takes forever. They're still necessary for the last few rounds though. I still have soft nerdy lady-friendly hands.

I know, but that still takes forever. They're still necessary for the last few rounds though. I still have soft nerdy lady-friendly hands.

Once you get the hang of using it, you can load magazines pretty quickly.

So I cut that notch out with an exacto knife and the cam loader works now. You need some MAN ****IN HANDS though. I have huge hands and I can't manage to load a 15-rounder. Can only get maybe 8 at a time. And loading numbers 16 and 17 are just impossible. Do magazine springs get easier with time? These seem ridiculously stiff. I don't remember my aunt's guns being as hard to load as these friggin FN mags. And even the ETS glock mag is easy to load by comparison.

Funny story-- I actually got the magazine stuck in the loader. I cut the notch out but forgot about the flat-face on the back of what essentially became a ramp. I was SO pissed. Had to search for 2 hours for a thin-enough but strong-enough screwdriver to pry the retention clip back.

Last edited:
Back