Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
I've never shot past 200yds, so I'm envious. So true about shooting ranges. They are like friendly club w/o petty ****ing contests.

Interesting toys Xavier2342

Get yourself a good Pelican case for your guns and come out to Arizona on a 3-Day weekend. In the West Valley (Phoenix is centeral) you have Ben Avery Shooting Facility and Rio Salado Sportsman's Club in the East Valley. Both ranges offer 200+ yard shooting however, the 300 yard range at Ben Avery is only open several times a month since it is shared with our local DPS and a few other users if I'm not mistaking. Rio Salado on the other hand offers 300 yard shooting on their small bore public range but there are only a few lanes that can shoot that far. Personally I prefer Ben Avery because the small bore public range has approximately 60 shooting lanes, where as Rio Salado has half as many lanes.

A side from the shooting ranges there is always something going on around Phoenix whether it is car related, sports, concerts, etc. Once a year Barrett-Jackson auction is held in Scottsdale along with a variety of other prestige car auctions. Coincidentally, a later there is always a PGA tournament held just down the street from the auction site. If you're really into automotive racing, Nascar, NHRA, Drag Boat Racing Series and Off Road Racing Series all race out here once at least once a year. I mention all of these things because while the shooting opportunities out here are great, Arizona has more to offer.

On a side note, I am very amazed at how the Beretta 92 platform continues to evolve. I've gotta give credit to Beretta for continuing to find ways to make the 92 relevant even in today's polymer heavy market.

Get yourself a good Pelican case for your guns and come out to Arizona on a 3-Day weekend. In the West Valley (Phoenix is centeral) you have Ben Avery Shooting Facility and Rio Salado Sportsman's Club in the East Valley. Both ranges offer 200+ yard shooting however, the 300 yard range at Ben Avery is only open several times a month since it is shared with our local DPS and a few other users if I'm not mistaking. Rio Salado on the other hand offers 300 yard shooting on their small bore public range but there are only a few lanes that can shoot that far. Personally I prefer Ben Avery because the small bore public range has approximately 60 shooting lanes, where as Rio Salado has half as many lanes.

A side from the shooting ranges there is always something going on around Phoenix whether it is car related, sports, concerts, etc. Once a year Barrett-Jackson auction is held in Scottsdale along with a variety of other prestige car auctions. Coincidentally, a later there is always a PGA tournament held just down the street from the auction site. If you're really into automotive racing, Nascar, NHRA, Drag Boat Racing Series and Off Road Racing Series all race out here once at least once a year. I mention all of these things because while the shooting opportunities out here are great, Arizona has more to offer.
Not that I could afford that, but thank you anyway. :lol:👍 If we looked hard enough, it'll be a drive, but I'm sure we can find areas we can shoot 200, 300 yards. There's a gun club not half an hour from me which does have 300yd range, but it's membership only, with waiting list. I prefer plinking anyway.

Next time we go up to our area, we've been talking about at least shooting 100 yards, maybe more by clearing the area with our boots & machetes, so we'll let you guys know how that goes. One of my friends who went shooting in the area over the weekend said that lot of areas are still covered in snow, which surprised us. They are higher elevation than expected apparently. I'm hoping maybe we can get out there this weekend. I'm sick as a dog right now, so we'll see. :(
On a side note, I am very amazed at how the Beretta 92 platform continues to evolve. I've gotta give credit to Beretta for continuing to find ways to make the 92 relevant even in today's polymer heavy market.
I'm not familiar with this "adjustable pre-travel & extra travel". I'll have to look this up.

I knew there was a good reason I didn't have a Grand Power in my collection.

It's because I didn't know that I was really waiting for this one:

Next gen triggers with flat shoes. I can't wait.

Lately I have been very fortunate to get my hands on firearms I've either read or watched reviews about. This past weekend there was an Outdoor Expo at one of our local ranges with a few gun manufacturers in attendance: Glock, POF, Sig Sauer, Ruger, Walther and possibly more. I got a chance to get my hands on a Glock G19X and I really like this gun. I love the grip texture, the overall weight and size of this gun. I did not take advantage of the opportunity to shoot this gun but I will be renting one at the range I have a membership to, once one is available to rent. I asked the Glock rep if there were any plans to add the G19X to the MOS lineup and was told that the G45 will soon be available with MOS enhancements.

One gun I was able to shoot in several different configurations was the Ruger Precision. The first two were chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor (one with a sound suppressor and another without) and the third was a .308 WIN. Oddly enough the one chambered in .308 WIN had an 18 inch barrel. I didn't really understand why this particular vendor decided to replace the 20 inch barrel with an 18 inch barrel but I was told it was done to match a specific ammo load. Either way I was glad to be able to shoot it. Lately I have really been into long range shooting. One of the reasons why I have been so interested in the Ruger Precision is because of the its price point. A few months ago CDNNsports offered Gen 2 versions of these rifles for $799. Prior to seeing that sale the out the box accuracy of these guns of these guns at the sub $1,000 USD price point really got my attention. I also like the fact that the .308 WIN version does not use proprietary magazines and M14 magazines do not cost an arm and a leg.

Another gun I was really excited about shooting was the Rock Island 1911 chambered in 9mm :drool:. I don't remember the ammo capacity but this is a gun I've been looking at off and on for the past few months. I love 1911s and having one chambered in 9mm makes them even cheaper to shoot. I was able to shoot bare bones 1911 chambered in 45 ACP and another mildly tricked out 1911 chambered in 10mm. The 10mm was sweet but I was in love with the 9mm.

It has been about a month since I first heard about the Rock Island VR80 semi-auto shotgun. I was given the opportunity to shoot one and who am I to turn down the opportunity to shoot a gun free of charge. This shotgun was surprisingly light and the recoil was very minimal. That funky looking buttstock/pistol grip combo can be replaced with AR15 parts. The adjustable gas regulator is a nice feature considering most semi-auto shotguns prefer 1300 fps or more of ammo velocity.

I wish I would have take more pictures but in all honesty it was an afterthought because I was genuinely about shooting all these guns. Below is a pick of another set of guns I got to shoot. One is a blowback 9mm the other is customized .223/5.56.

20190330_101735.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder how reliable 9mm 1911s are, as far as cycling. Just wondering out loud. Considering the heavier frame & lighter recoil of 9mm, I bet it would be a lot of fun to shoot. 👍

Sunday I was able to go shoot, for the first time in probably couple of months. Got to help sight in coworker’s new DPMS AR15 + Vortex red dot. Shot few rounds at the new steel target as well.
0943AB8A-43A4-48FB-A3C9-F4310F41450A.jpeg
AC47E331-A1F0-4932-B051-08E1E0D1988B.jpeg

I wonder how reliable 9mm 1911s are, as far as cycling. Just wondering out loud. Considering the heavier frame & lighter recoil of 9mm, I bet it would be a lot of fun to shoot. 👍

Sunday I was able to go shoot, for the first time in probably couple of months. Got to help sight in coworker’s new DPMS AR15 + Vortex red dot. Shot few rounds at the new steel target as well.

Honestly I don't think there would be any reliability issues. I say this because of the experience I had with the M9A3 I rented awhile back. I had to use range ammo which coincidentally was cheap Winchester 115gr 9mm range ammo. I also think about guns like the CZ SP01 and CZ Shadow 2, while I do not have any personal experience with either gun, I haven't heard anything about them being picky when it comes to ammo selection.

Which Vortex red dot does your buddy have on his DPMS? What did you think about his DPMS in comparison to your M&P15? Looks like your steel target held up pretty well.

Honestly I don't think there would be any reliability issues. I say this because of the experience I had with the M9A3 I rented awhile back. I had to use range ammo which coincidentally was cheap Winchester 115gr 9mm range ammo. I also think about guns like the CZ SP01 and CZ Shadow 2, while I do not have any personal experience with either gun, I haven't heard anything about them being picky when it comes to ammo selection.
I only wondered because of how people compare reliability of 1911 design to say Glocks. I don't have opinion on this based on knowledge, or experience. If they are actually close to 100% reliable like most good handguns, I can totally see the appeal in 9mm 1911. I only have a really beat up Kimber, but I do like 1911's alot.
Which Vortex red dot does your buddy have on his DPMS? What did you think about his DPMS in comparison to your M&P15? Looks like your steel target held up pretty well.
I think it's that base red dot, it has that tilted base? Like this guy. I was thinking about shooting it, but I forgot to ask when I started having trouble with accuracy shooting my Glock 19. I was shooting at the steel & I kept hitting few inches too low. It was probably at around 20yds, but I was definitely missing the target. I suspect trigger control. I'll try his AR for sure next time. I was curious about both the rifle & the red dot.

I got the thicker steel that was rated for .223 then some I think, but we only shot handful of rounds at it since we were shooting from only about 30 yards away. With the Glock, from closer distance, I could only connect every 5, 6 shots(again, few inches too low). Also shot few rounds of .22LR from my Thompson Center TCR22. I can't wait until we find areas to shoot from little bit further out. 👍

Omnis when should we expect your review Grand Power Q100? I don't know anything about Grand Power pistols but the video you posted has sparked my interest in wanting to learn more about them.

a6m5 first and foremost I think it is really cool that you own a Kimber (regardless of the condition). Thanks to a former supervisor of mine the first handgun I ever shot was a Kimber 1911. I don't remember the exact Kimber model but it was a monotone, full-size 1911 with a beavertail and it was chambered in 45 ACP.

Also, I've gotta give you credit where it is due. You're much better than I am because I rarely shoot handguns past 10-15 yards unless I'm aiming at something the size of an IPSC target. But it something I should work on. "Aim small, miss small" right?

a6m5 first and foremost I think it is really cool that you own a Kimber (regardless of the condition). Thanks to a former supervisor of mine the first handgun I ever shot was a Kimber 1911. I don't remember the exact Kimber model but it was a monotone, full-size 1911 with a beavertail and it was chambered in 45 ACP.
Mine is Custom Target II. I traded my first handgun(Gen 3 G17) + cash for it. I overpaid, but since gun turned out alright, I don't feel too bad about it. :P I had hoped to shoot this last Sunday, but I decided to practice with Glock 19 more, so it stayed home again. I haven't shot this gun in sometime.

#kimber custom target ii small.jpg

I wish it had rail for light/laser, but she's probably a keeper anyways.
Also, I've gotta give you credit where it is due. You're much better than I am because I rarely shoot handguns past 10-15 yards unless I'm aiming at something the size of an IPSC target. But it something I should work on.
I don't either, but I'm trying to get better + extend the range. When I used to go to the range, people were shooting ridiculously close. I hope you are better than me, because best case scenario, I'm a work in progress. :P:lol:
"Aim small, miss small" right?
I used to be really into pickup basketball, and I liked this saying for basketball, too. Only problem: I never remembered it on the court & I never remember it now when I'm shooting guns. :ouch::lol:

That is a really nice gun, I don't see anything "really beat up" about it. Also, even though you got rid of your G19 to get this, you now have an excuse to get a newer G19 MOS or G45 MOS (once it is released) 👍.
Thanks! Still, it’s high mileage, trust me. :D And it was the Glock 17 I traded for it years ago, Glock 19 I have now, I’ve only had it for little less than couple of years. Gen 4, but definite keeper. 👍

Red dot on handguns do interest me though. Typical Glock type sights aren’t fun. :crazy:

glockoncarrier.png

This past weekend I was told by a Glock rep that Glock has no intentions of releasing this version of the Glock G19X in the US. I should have asked the rep this question but for those who live outside of the US, are you guys able to get the G19X with a manual safety?

Here is a much better review of the VR80 12 gauge shotgun. Also, below is another video demonstrating how easily you can install an AR15 buttstock and pistol grip onto this shotgun.

cci5200-2019-4-9.jpg

I've never seen 9mm go for so low. When I used to shoot 9mm first time around, long time ago, I'd be lucky to find a box for $10. Normally I paid $11, $12 a box. Lately, it's not rare to see $10 boxes. On sale, $9, $8.50.

I didn't need any 9mm, but I happened to like Blazer ammo, and for $8 a box, I had to pickup some more again. My buddy's getting 6 boxes & I'm getting rest of the case!
Here is a much better review of the VR80 12 gauge shotgun. Also, below is another video demonstrating how easily you can install an AR15 buttstock and pistol grip onto this shotgun.
Neat shotgun, but it needs a drum magazine amirite. :embarrassed:

I do not read very good. I went to their website to see if they had more on sale and completely missed the in store only.

a6m5 damn that is cheap, I would have picked up a few boxes myself. You're basically looking at $160 for 1,000 rounds of brass cased 9mm and that's much better than the prices I have been seeing.

I do not read very good. I went to their website to see if they had more on sale and completely missed the in store only.
a6m5 damn that is cheap, I would have picked up a few boxes myself. You're basically looking at $160 for 1,000 rounds of brass cased 9mm and that's much better than the prices I have been seeing.
Maybe it's regional thing then. While $8 per box might be the best deal I've ever seen, as of late, I've been seeing sale prices of $8.50~$9 a box. Same CCI brass 9mm were on sale at another local sportsmans shop for the same price, first($160 for the case).

Timing was perfect, as I just posted not very long ago, I need a lot of practice with 9mm!

a6m5 consider yourself lucky.
Boy, I guess. 👍 This is the same store I bought my Glock 19, M&P15 & TC/R22 from, also total of 3 cases of 9mm. If memory serves I believe the first 9mm case were something like $190, or $200 for the case. Second case I believe were at $8.50 a box.

Their shelf life's longer than mine, so I try to buy them low when I can. :P

P.S. Another good online source are these guys. Only when you buy a full case though, then you get free shipping. I've bought ammo box full of green tip, Blackout from them. Last purchase was a case of green tip(1,000rds, also had that Federal rebate), and they've been very reliable so far.

@Omnis that thing is a beauty, nice purchase 👍.

When I saw what it cost to get that gun completely cajunized, and when I saw all the cost of the furniture and sights and the shadow trigger shoe, and when I considered the cost of gunsmithing all of that, I pretty much pooped my pants when I saw his post on Instagram. I got a polished unicorn and you can't even get vanilla black alloy cgw p01s on gunbroker without forking over even more money.

When I saw what it cost to get that gun completely cajunized, and when I saw all the cost of the furniture and sights and the shadow trigger shoe, and when I considered the cost of gunsmithing all of that, I pretty much pooped my pants when I saw his post on Instagram. I got a polished unicorn and you can't even get vanilla black alloy cgw p01s on gunbroker without forking over even more money.

My 75 is not Cajunized, but has been worked over by CZ Custom and it is awesome. A Cajunized 75 is also going to be awesome.

I wanna pimp gun. :drool: I always wondered: How does nickel plating, etc. finishes hold up to wear? Do they get marks from shooting after while? I'd be all over blingin' shiny pistol, but not if wear show up on the finishes.... Speaking of wear:

Today, I shot something I haven't shot in years.

zzzzzzzzzzz.JPG

I recently got some magazines & base pads from eBay for it, and been meaning to take this baby out(more pics on blog). I also took my Glock to train with it. I shot better & more consistent with this 1911 I haven't shot in years than with the Glock I shoot every time I go plinking. I'm not too sure what to make of that right now. :dopey:

@a6m5 have you considered getting your 1911 cerakoted?
I've only looked into general pricing, but yes, I've been interested in cerakoting any of my guns. Protection is awesome, and aesthetic's cool.
I was thinking more along the lines of desert tan, O/D, something like that. :lol:

To be honest, I don't know which one of my guns I'd want cerakoted first. I always thought pump shotguns looked cool with cerakote. I also couldn't take my eyes off of foliage green Glock 19 at gun store one time. :D

Back