Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
I don't really like this guy's videos but something like this might be an option for you? It's basically an airsoft rifle on steroids.

I thought about it, hard.
The problem is, at that power level they still sound like a gun being discharged and they also look like a normal gun to the non-trained eyes. This can be a problem, shooting it in my backyard. Besides that, they are absurdly expensive. I am poor! :scared:

I think crossbows are cool, but it's all about compound bows in my area.

P.S. I was able to pickup a 200rd pack of .45ACP today($69.99). While I wanted more 9mm, I'm happy I'll have another handgun caliber I can shoot little bit of. :embarrassed::tup:

@a6m5 not being able to go shooting for the past few weeks has made me look at different options. Initially I began to look at pellet guns and BB guns. But thanks to a conversation I had with a few coworker, I'm now interested in compound bows. I never knew just how expensive they were but I primarily want something to shoot in my backyard and potentially hunt with in the future

Do any of you guys own compound bows?

Honestly I'm not a gun person and my parents would hate me for having a real one but that'd be fun for scaring squirrels

@a6m5 not being able to go shooting for the past few weeks has made me look at different options. Initially I began to look at pellet guns and BB guns. But thanks to a conversation I had with a few coworker, I'm now interested in compound bows. I never knew just how expensive they were but I primarily want something to shoot in my backyard and potentially hunt with in the future

Do any of you guys own compound bows?
Sorry, I don't own one. In my area, it seems to be mostly hunters who are into compound bows.

In Oregon, you can still go into the woods to shoot(while observing 6ft distancing), but lot of us think it's only matter of time before they tighten down on that. There are enough people around who doesn't take the "stay home" direction seriously. :crazy:

@coryclifford that has definitely been on my list for quite some time and just might be what I end up getting for the time being.

@DesertPenguin there are some very powerful airguns that can achieve the same thing 👍.

@a6m5 to my knowledge the privately owned gun ranges are still open and we can still go shooting in the desert. But the issue at hand is not being able to replenish what I shoot. I almost feel like it's 2013 all over again with people panic buying everything.

@a6m5 to my knowledge the privately owned gun ranges are still open and we can still go shooting in the desert. But the issue at hand is not being able to replenish what I shoot. I almost feel like it's 2013 all over again with people panic buying everything.
Ah, I know the feeling. Instead of shooting like once a month, I’ll have to pace myself as long as shortage continues. So glad I’ve been able to pick up .45 shells, as handgun round’s been scarce, and that’s what I like to shoot!

No necessarily gun related... But I purchased a bow. It is a PSE Bow Madness XS and it came with 7 arrows. I just got it back from the archery shop today and I can't wait to shoot it this weekend. While at the archery shop it got new string, draw weight reduction (~56.3 lbs) and sized to my draw length. At the moment I have no intentions of hunting with this bow, I want to hunt with a rifle first.

20200407_123508.jpg

20200407_123538.jpg

20200407_123650.jpg

20200406_151624.jpg

No necessarily gun related... But I purchased a bow. It is a PSE Bow Madness XS and it came with 7 arrows.

That's sweet man! 👍 May I ask you why you opted for a compound bow instead of a crossbow?

In any case, you sure gonna have fun shooting her in your backyard while everything is closed.

As I said early I'm deciding about whether getting a crossbow or saving my bucks, and your post is nudging me to the ''buy'' side. 💡

That's sweet man! 👍 May I ask you why you opted for a compound bow instead of a crossbow?

In any case, you sure gonna have fun shooting her in your backyard while everything is closed.

As I said early I'm deciding about whether getting a crossbow or saving my bucks, and your post is nudging me to the ''buy'' side. 💡

To be honest with you, I've been interested in compound bows for years but other hobbies took priority. A crossbow never really crossed my mind (no pun intended) but I think it would have been a cool alternative for me. I might get an inexpensive crossbow in future if my kids or my wife develop an interest in archery.

This weekend I'll be heading over to a coworker's house to get some lessons on shooting archery. After that I'll head over to Cabela's and purchase an archery target.

I still intend on shooting firearms but that won't happen until people out here stop panic buying all of the ammo.

Are you saving money for a specific firearm or gun related products?

Are you saving money for a specific firearm or gun related products?

I actually wanted to buy a racing cockpit, a new wheel and pedals for Dirt 2.0 & Project Cars 2 for a grand so I can combat the unbearable boredom that will be present for months to come thanks to the virus. My holiday trips and mountain climbs are all cancelled so I have 1.5 grand do blow.

Then I realized that I wont be able to go to the shooting range for many months if not till the end of the year, so I have started to think about getting a quality crossbow (Excalibur, 700-1000 bucks) for target practice in my garden. (I could shoot 25-35yds with it). I also don't want to shoot any of my precious ammo till this whole thing has settled and components are available again. I'm in Europe but all the US ammunition brands are gone, and the European brands are mostly sold out. Even the reloading components.

On the other hand the economic repercussions of the lock down and all that will be felt in summer / end of the year, so maybe I'm silly spending my money at all? Maybe I wont be able to pay the rent end of next year? But isn't it a wise idea to turn my money into goods if a hyperinflation is coming my way?

I want to spend it wisely, but I have no idea what wisely even is nowadays. :crazy:

Sorry for the long rant!

Once the madness of the Covid-19 pandemic subsides, what gun(s) could potentially be your next purchase?

For myself, my next purchase might end up being the Ruger PCC. Due to my work schedule I'm not always able to participate in 3-gun matches. During those months that I can't 3-gun, I can still compete in USPSA matches. USPSA now has a PCC division and I want to compete in this division to continue to work on rifle mechanics. I don't want to spend $2,000+ like my buddy did for his JP PCC. Palmetto State Armory's AR9 is priced fairly well, but it does not have a last round bolt hold open feature. The Ruger PCC on the other hand, is (was) reasonably priced and has everything that I want in a PCC. We'll see how things go after people stop panic buying everything. Worst case scenario, I'll just wait until next year to purchase a Ruger PCC or something better.

19122.jpg

19122.html

There are too many that I want. In no particular order:
  1. Brownells WWSD 2020
  2. Brownells BRN-180
  3. Brownells BRN-601
  4. Brownells BRN-605
  5. CMMG Banshee in 9mm
  6. POF Revolution DI
  7. Glock 45
  8. Glock 43x
  9. Glock 48
  10. CZ P-01
  11. CZ Shadow 2
  12. Beretta 92 of some sort: a 92X, 92X Performance, M9A3, or 92G Elite LTT
  13. 1911 of some sort
  14. AK of some sort
  15. Steyr AUG
I want a bunch of stuff, but do not have enough money for all of it. If I had to guess, my next purchase will likely be a Glock 45 and 43x.

Last edited:
I'm not planning on buying anything at the moment, but I do plan to build the East German AK47 (MPi-K) that I bought as a parts kit several years ago and still in the box. I bent the receiver from a receiver flat after purchasing a flat bending tool from a friend some years back. I have most all the tools I need at this point. There were some things I wasn't comfortable doing myself like populating the barrel. But with technology these days there is some pretty in depth info out there through youtube and the like. I'm still working because I have an essential job but that doesn't mean that anyone comes in. We are dead and I've had a lot of time to watch videos and read to where I feel comfortable enough to do myself.

securedownload_zpsaca28fe6.jpg

cm47-15_zps39085179.jpg

0304130833_zpsd7c3188c.jpg

@ Blood Eagle - That's really cool! I love my AK, I wish I could build my own though!

What gas hole size are you gonna drill? Most AK's are overgassed, you have the opportunity to tune it exactly the way you want it.

@ Blood Eagle - That's really cool! I love my AK, I wish I could build my own though!

What gas hole size are you gonna drill? Most AK's are overgassed, you have the opportunity to tune it exactly the way you want it.

Most people say 1/8” in SAE but metric would be 4 mm. I’ll probably have to buy a drill bit for that because the ones I have are too short to drill the hole with the gas block on. So if I have to buy one, I’ll probably just get a 1/8” so I don’t have to buy multiple drill bits just for experimentation.

Most people say 1/8” in SAE but metric would be 4 mm. I’ll probably have to buy a drill bit for that because the ones I have are too short to drill the hole with the gas block on. So if I have to buy one, I’ll probably just get a 1/8” so I don’t have to buy multiple drill bits just for experimentation.

I absolutely recommend experimenting with the gas vent sizes, its true that most AK's have hole sizes of approx 3-4mm, but they are also severely overgassed resulting in very high bolt velocity and shortened durability. That is done so it works with very underpowered ammo as well. Personally, I'd start with 2mm and work my way up. Finding a good gas vent size is well worth it.

Once the madness of the Covid-19 pandemic subsides, what gun(s) could potentially be your next purchase?
19122.html

I've always wanted a Henry 1866 ''Musket'' in 44-40. Those were regular Henry lever actions that were given longer round barrels, 16 shot tube magazines, a long foreend and a bayonet lug for US army rifle trials. There are reproductions out there, but they cost 1500 bucks and are hard to find.

lv0Dg2G.jpg

Funny to think they were close to becoming the standard issue rifle for the US armed forces after the civil war. I think that would have been way cool. :dopey: But then they took the old civil war muskets and converted them to single shot 45-70's, the Springfield trapdoor.

I absolutely recommend experimenting with the gas vent sizes, its true that most AK's have hole sizes of approx 3-4mm, but they are also severely overgassed resulting in very high bolt velocity and shortened durability. That is done so it works with very underpowered ammo as well. Personally, I'd start with 2mm and work my way up. Finding a good gas vent size is well worth it.

Thanks for the advice. Technically I could buy as many drill bits as I want because I can charge them to my company and there is a possibility that we would use them for actual jobs that come in here so no biggie there. I’ll start with a 2mm.

@Brett that us an extensive list of some really cool guns. Sounds like someone is going to need a larger or perhaps an addition gun safe.

It is more of a wish list than anything. Realistically, the Glock 45 and 43x is what I need to add most.

I still want a second AR lower(I have two uppers), also a red dot for Micro Roni stock. As firearms go, I've been wanting another handgun, or Ruger AR Pistol, but that's been on & off, and I don't see it happening this year.

I did get a text from a friend who offered me Magpul D60 for $75. He never used the darn thing. I offered it to couple of guys from work(we are still working, too :crazy:), but I ended up buying it for that. It was too good of a deal to pass up. I may never use it either, but I did load it last night. :P Last five rounds were 🤬 to load!

Back