Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,847 comments
Almost. Glock 48.
I actually had to look up Glock 43x before & Glock 48 just now. What is 48's slide length equivalent to? I read that 43x grip length was equal to that of Glock 19, but slimmer with single stack mags.

I actually had to look up Glock 43x before & Glock 48 just now. What is 48's slide length equivalent to? I read that 43x grip length was equal to that of Glock 19, but slimmer with single stack mags.

Glock 48 is pretty much the same size as a Glock 19, except slimmer.

So I was just browsing some guns when I came across a CZ 550 bolt action rifle for just 750 bucks. Like new, just a few minor scratches in the rather pretty stock. It looked a little beefy and it had a little suspicious muzzle brake on it so I looked what its chambered in - heck, its in whooping .375 Holland & Holland. That's a rifle suited for elephant and grizzly hunting.

I'm no hunter and have no uses for it but I cannot get it out of my head. And when I learned that this line of rifle has been discontinued recently it made my situation even worse.

I reload so I can keep the OUTRAGEOUS ammunition costs down, but still, it makes no sense for target shooting - and doing plinking with it would be the equivalent of driving a gas guzzling 1000hp muscle car in the parking lot.

Called the owner and he said he would ship it immediately if I want it. He bought it for a big game Safari but bailed out on the rifle for a smaller caliber, and nobody wants it because of the large round it shoots.

It makes no sense but I want it. :ill:

That's the round it shoots, the large one (duh), .375 H&H

AoRRRic.jpg

Last edited:
@Brett nice purchase, I had to lookup the G48 as well.

@Michael88 that's a tough one. Normally I would say buy it. But due to your previous post, I think you might be better off waiting a bit, unless it is something you could easily sell at this time without losing any money.

Glock 48 is pretty much the same size as a Glock 19, except slimmer.

@Brett nice purchase, I had to lookup the G48 as well.

@Michael88 that's a tough one. Normally I would say buy it. But due to your previous post, I think you might be better off waiting a bit, unless it is something you could easily sell at this time without losing any money.

Looked it up again, the only difference in dimensions between the G19 and G48 is the width of the pistol. The G48 is about a quarter of an inch slimmer. The slide on the G43X is three quarters of an inch shorter than both. The slides of the G43x and G48 are interchangeable.

It's a gun specifically designed for conceal and carry.

Indeed, that is the main purpose. It could also be good for those who have smaller hands. Until the Gen 5, a Glock 17 or 19 felt like a 2x4 in my hands. With the removal of the finger grooves, a Gen 5 17 or 19 does not feel like a 2x4. However, there are still some that would probably think they do and a 48 would be a good alternative.

So I was just browsing some guns when I came across a CZ 550 bolt action rifle for just 750 bucks. Like new, just a few minor scratches in the rather pretty stock. It looked a little beefy and it had a little suspicious muzzle brake on it so I looked what its chambered in - heck, its in whooping .375 Holland & Holland. That's a rifle suited for elephant and grizzly hunting.

I'm no hunter and have no uses for it but I cannot get it out of my head. And when I learned that this line of rifle has been discontinued recently it made my situation even worse.

I reload so I can keep the OUTRAGEOUS ammunition costs down, but still, it makes no sense for target shooting - and doing plinking with it would be the equivalent of driving a gas guzzling 1000hp muscle car in the parking lot.

Called the owner and he said he would ship it immediately if I want it. He bought it for a big game Safari but bailed out on the rifle for a smaller caliber, and nobody wants it because of the large round it shoots.

It makes no sense but I want it. :ill:

That's the round it shoots, the large one (duh), .375 H&H

AoRRRic.jpg
I shot this rifle chambered in that round before.

It was just one shot, from bench & years ago, so I don't really remember it. Cool name.

Well the .375 H&H can do one thing none of my firearms can do, it goes through any kind of body armor, even rifle plates. The question is, is that important? I don't think I will get attacked by dudes wearing Level 4 body armor anytime soon. :lol:

Well the .375 H&H can do one thing none of my firearms can do, it goes through any kind of body armor, even rifle plates. The question is, is that important? I don't think I will get attacked by dudes wearing Level 4 body armor anytime soon. :lol:
I was just thinking about that rifle & the caliber, because a kid from work was telling me about .444 Marlin he got to shoot. Size sounds impressive & he was definitely impressed by it, but it was his first time shooting any firearms. He inherited handful of firearms from family & is new to the hobby. It's nice to see.

That reminds me, I've got something positive to report - I introduced a family member to guns and I just helped her select her first firearm.

I let her shoot an Enfield in .303 and pistols, she was pretty accurate the guns considering it was her first time ever. No flinching. Also I let her shoot 45-70 and she was not bothered by the recoil and produced hits at 100yds with it.

When we chose her first gun it boiled down to a rifle, since handguns require a special permit that is not hard to get, but expensive and time consuming and requires lots of bureaucracy. A shotgun would have been too limiting and recoil too hard. Also a long gun is safer for a beginner (barrel sweep etc.) and as a first gun, a rifle is also most versatile.

I thought she would happy with an intermediate caliber that is easy to get and does not recoil hard but is capable, which is also light-ish (7lbs), compact, fast to shoot (since it also has to cover home defense), simple and last but not least pretty. :sly: We ended up with a case-hardened 30-30 Winchester lever action carbine with a 6 shot tube and a nice soft rubber butt pad. She loves old west guns. Pretty much covers it all I think.

What would you guys have chosen for her?

What would you guys have chosen for her?
When someone's interested in firearms, I tell them they should get one. Once it gets there, I try to back off little bit & hear what they are interested in, which action they felt comfortable with, etc. I do tell them to be careful selecting newer models from Remington + other brands owned by them, but after that, it's really up to them.

With the gun laws you guys have, lever action sounds like a solid choice for her, especially if she was fond of Western style. 👍

@Michael88 I couldn't agree more with @a6m5 I think you both made the right call, given the current circumstances. It's also a good thing that she's comfortable shooting that gun since 30-30 is a pretty versatile round. The only concern I have in regards to the caliber is ammo availability. But then again you probably already have the supplies to reload that round for her.

@Michael88 I couldn't agree more with @a6m5 I think you both made the right call, given the current circumstances. It's also a good thing that she's comfortable shooting that gun since 30-30 is a pretty versatile round. The only concern I have in regards to the caliber is ammo availability. But then again you probably already have the supplies to reload that round for her.

Yes - I'm going to order the dies, bullets and cases today! Good thing is it takes .30 caliber bullets (even if they have to be round nose) and powders for medium caliber rifle cartridges of which I have tons.

I'll make two different loads, one normal pressure and one with a little less pressure to reduce recoil a bit and see if it makes a difference for her.
Maybe I can use lead bullets for the lower pressure load, it would save costs and increase barrel life. 💡

That's the rifle, (pic from the auction). Its a proper New Haven Winchester from 1981, barely shot. So quality should be pretty good.

3fRdecm.png

Last edited:
That is a western rifle alright. 👍

Two kids from work, they went shopping over the weekend. One knows lot about guns, he bought Ruger American bolt action. Other one is a noob, and he was buying his first firearm, a Savage, I think he said Axis. Came with free Weaver scope mounted on it. Kid with Ruger, he bought a Vortex he’s been wanting with it.

Both are 6.5 Creedmoor.

@Xavier2342 That first rifle, that's pretty much what he bought(even added bi-pod). It wouldn't surprise me if he saw this video before buying the rifle, he said he knew exactly what he wanted before going in.

The G48 arrived to my FFL yesterday. Unfortunately, my transfer was delayed until Friday. I am guessing it is probably because the NICS has a large volume of requests going on because I have never been delayed before. The FFL did say this has been happening a bunch and many have been processed sooner. I am hoping for a phone call today.

The G48 arrived to my FFL yesterday. Unfortunately, my transfer was delayed until Friday. I am guessing it is probably because the NICS has a large volume of requests going on because I have never been delayed before. The FFL did say this has been happening a bunch and many have been processed sooner. I am hoping for a phone call today.
I saw on local regional gun message board that background check’s been at record levels. Some say they were approved instantly, but group didn’t seemed to have observed any pattern as to how some are taking longer than others.

I saw on local regional gun message board that background check’s been at record levels. Some say they were approved instantly, but group didn’t seemed to have observed any pattern as to how some are taking longer than others.

There were a million more NICS checks than the average in the month of March. Also the most in the history since they started keeping track over 30 years ago.

There were a million more NICS checks than the average in the month of March. Also the most in the history since they started keeping track over 30 years ago.

It will be interesting to see what April does.

Also no phone call today.

Man, I just wanted to buy the .375 big bore rifle - but had to bail out in the last moment.:indiff:

Turns out the rifle is chambered in .375 H&H that is an Ackley Improved version of it, that is simply taking a standard rifle and reaming out the chamber a LITTLE bit so the shoulder of the cartridge gets a 40° degree shoulder. You can still fire regular rounds with it. That has the benefit of increasing brass life, and it adds a little more case capacity (~ 10%) so you can load it a bit hotter. If you are a reloader an Ackley Improved chamber is a good thing and can be done to nearly any rifle that fires brass with a shoulder.

Its a good thing. Most of the time.

Here is an Ackley Improved and a standard .375 H&H Look at the shoulder, one has a much shorter shoulder and the whole case is slightly more cylindrical, that is the improved version. Its not a huge change.

DFPlX33.jpg

Just before I bought it I remembered that the geometry of the case is also slightly altered, but the magazine and the feeding ramp stay the same and cannot be altered. In 99% of the cases improving the chamber does not result in any feeding issues, because the modification is so tiny. Sadly, the rifle I wanted was the other 1%. Just before I bought it I insisted on a test in feeding rounds, and it jammed about 1/3rd of the time. :ill:

Now I'm happy that I didn't buy it because NOTHING is worse than an occasionally jamming rifle, but I'm also sad because - that one big issue aside- the rifle was really damn fine.

Oh well. :grumpy:

What's the legality of shooting at squirrels on my property because they're stealing from the bird feeders that are for the birds? I joke, but I'm genuinely curious. I'm in New York in a very suburban area, houses line the streets with just a driveway between them.

Not available.
Academy keep coming up on guns.deal, and they seem to stay available at least for little while.
What's the legality of shooting at squirrels on my property because they're stealing from the bird feeders that are for the birds? I joke, but I'm genuinely curious. I'm in New York in a very suburban area, houses line the streets with just a driveway between them.
I have no answers for the squirrel problem, but firearms in suburbs I’d give ZERO consideration.

They called this morning. PROCEED!

Not available.

Academy keep coming up on guns.deal, and they seem to stay available at least for little while.

I have no answers for the squirrel problem, but firearms in suburbs I’d give ZERO consideration.

Academy has some other stuff today: Browning 9mm. I ordered it.

And a picture of the G48:

IMG_20200423_135514 - Copy.jpg

509.jpg

I'm patiently waiting for things to die down so that I can purchase a Ruger PCC (chassis model). However, I've also been looking for my next ccw. I like the 509 Tactical I shot awhile back but I wish it had an external safety just for peace of mind. I was browsing through the Gun.Deals earlier this morning and came across this. The only gripe I have about this gun is that it isn't an optics ready model. Plus I haven't been able to find a vendor that will mill this slide for a Vortex Venom red dot. With that being said, I'm still thinking about purchasing this gun since it is currently being sold $399 before tax.

I just placed an order for an air rifle! My first air rifle ever, only took a pandemic to finally make me get one.

Due to the regulations the government put on sporting sites regular training will not be possible anytime soon, it seems like my shooting club will only allow training via appointments as there can only be handful of shooters at the range at the same time - and we have tons of active members.
I guess the members who participate in most competitions will be allowed the most time on the range while the others will have to wait for opportunities for training.
And the club will take the regulations VEEERY seriously, nobody wants to read in the news that target shooters put the population at risk by recklessly ignoring pandemic laws at the shooting ranges. This sucks, but that's how the world works now I guess. :crazy:

So that is why I got me an air rifle, a friend of mine has some property that allows safe shooting with pellet guns.- And I ordered a proper one, it shoots .177 pellets at up to 1350 fp/s at up to 80 meters. Its not a pea shooter....in the world of smallbore airguns I mean. :scared: It would probably make an excellent small game rifle.

Oh well, I hope I made the right choice and that its gonna be fun, with scope and everything it cost me 700 bucks.

@Michael88 which airgun did you get? It's crazy to think that some airguns are capable ti launching pellets at the same velocity as their more lethal counterparts. That's awe some that you have access to the space to shoot it. Looking forward to seeing what your thoughts and opinions are after you shoot your airgun.

Back