Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
$700 airgun sounds very interesting. Cool purchase. đź‘Ť

Earlier this year, I shot just one box of 9mm, in the rain, because it's been raining, snowing or freezing anytime I could go shooting. It was dry today for once, I went to shoot my Glock(19) & HK(USP .45), also Glock with my Micro Roni stock, because I got a new red dot for it:

#gtp.jpg

It's busy looking on that rail, I know. That Crimson Trace laser I bought with the leftover balance on the gift card, I figured it was most suited for this type of firearm(CQB). Now, this Burris micro red dot, it came with this super nice mount, which serves as a riser + guard. It's sold out now, but all for $145 shipped from the Springfield Armory website. :eek:

As for my handgun shooting, I shot terribly. I need to train again. If anybody wants to see more pics from today, I posted them with my blog post.

Academy has some other stuff today: Browning 9mm. I ordered it.
I went on there after seeing your post, sold out. I decided steel case 9millies are better than nothing. $150 after rebate($165 upfront). I got email today: backorder. :(
509.jpg

I'm patiently waiting for things to die down so that I can purchase a Ruger PCC (chassis model). However, I've also been looking for my next ccw. I like the 509 Tactical I shot awhile back but I wish it had an external safety just for peace of mind. I was browsing through the Gun.Deals earlier this morning and came across this. The only gripe I have about this gun is that it isn't an optics ready model. Plus I haven't been able to find a vendor that will mill this slide for a Vortex Venom red dot. With that being said, I'm still thinking about purchasing this gun since it is currently being sold $399 before tax.
Saw this one in some NRA magazine. Looked interesting.
And the club will take the regulations VEEERY seriously, nobody wants to read in the news that target shooters put the population at risk by recklessly ignoring pandemic laws at the shooting ranges. This sucks, but that's how the world works now I guess. :crazy:
I drove into the great outdoors today for the first time since this whole thing started. Saw couple of reader boards saying "Stay Home, Save Lives". I was driving into middle of nowhere by myself, but it still felt funny reading that. :crazy:

@Michael88 which airgun did you get? It's crazy to think that some airguns are capable ti launching pellets at the same velocity as their more lethal counterparts. That's awe some that you have access to the space to shoot it. Looking forward to seeing what your thoughts and opinions are after you shoot your airgun.

I got a German RWS 460 Magnum. I decided to get one that can be charged with a lever since I do not have a compressor powerful enough to charge a bottle airgun. And I don't like to deal with pressurized scuba diving bottles. I decided against getting an airgun that charges by tilting the barrel, since I know precision shooting I know that anything that requires tilting a barrel cannot be all that accurate.

The 460 is an under lever charged airgun, so a fixed barrel single shot, no funny business with pressure bottles. Reviews say its one of the most accurate airguns out there, seen people shoot stuff at 100 yards with it. I like it because it has a proper wooden stock and an adjustable match trigger. Heck, when all this is over I can bring it to the 50yd range at my shooting club.

tBCsYFc.jpg

I drove into the great outdoors today for the first time since this whole thing started. Saw couple of reader boards saying "Stay Home, Save Lives". I was driving into middle of nowhere by myself, but it still felt funny reading that. :crazy:

Boards in the middle of nowhere? In any case, stay safe. Staying healthy beats firearms training, this virus is pretty nasty.:scared:

Developing new loads for my 7x57 mauser. I really like the Hornady 175 grain ELD-X .284 bullets, they hold their velocity like they're rocket powered and they double as hunting and match bullets. They are advertised to expand nicely at velocities below 1600fps, which is like out to 800 meters for the 7x57. I'm not a hunter but that's still a nice bonus.

EL9mDf5.jpg

Here is how they are advertised to expand:

36ktijv.jpg

I also got my hands on brass solids, bullets made entirely of brass, no lead.- That's totally new territory for me, I'Ll carefully develop loads for them, I imagine they produce much higher pressures since they have a greater resistance. đź’ˇ So I will start with greatly reduced charges and work my way up till pressure signs start to show. And I'll start with slow-ish powders to ease the start a little.

hOdPvho.jpg

Went to the shooting range today, per appointment as only a very limited amount of shooters can practice there simultaneously due to covid19 restrictions.
Well, nobody was wearing masks, nobody cared about keeping distance, it was like covid never happened.- I was the only one with a mask.

Only sighted in two rifles and left super early. :grumpy:

Also, something weird happened, I put my Holosun dot on my AK and wanted to sight it in starting at 50. First 2 shots on the paper, just far left, elevation good. After 6 more shots and adjustments I was in the middle, finished sighting in with a nice 3 shot group that was about 1.5'' - (At 50 meters). Loaded another mag, shot 5 rounds, the group was on the far right and the size of a basketball. :scared:

No idea what was going on, checked the screws, the dot, everything ok, nothing moved, everything tight. Next couple groups were just as abysmal.
Took the side mount off and shot with iron sights only, great groups right in the middle at 50, those could be covered with a 3 fingers. Hot barrel, cold barrel, didn't matter.

I think my Holosun died, I have no other explanation.

But it wasn't all for naught, I had fun shooting the AK at 50 meters standing unsupported, rapid shots, with irons only.
Could keep them in the black (all but one), good enough! :lol:

hRnZPbg.jpg

I dont usually venture into this part of the website. As soon as all the Covid restrictions die down i plan on getting my Massachusetts LTC and purchasing my "first" firearm. I use quotations because Ive pretty much been shooting my whole life, and safety has been drilled into my head since cub scouts with bb guns, followed by rifles and shotguns throughout boy scouts. Ive narrowed it down to 2 different concealed carry guns, but im open to suggestions. Does anyone have any experience or perhaps own either a Glock G26 or a Sig P365 micro compact and can recomend them or not? I really like my brothers p365 and Im used to it, but the Glock looks nice as well. Thoughts?

I don’t really have any recommendations but definitely stick with a subcompact. Because concealing firearms is uncomfortable. So the smaller you can make it, the better it’s going to be overall. You want to minimize the discomfort.

I'd go as small as possible while still being able to shoot the gun properly. I don't know your hand size, but I do know there are some small guns out there I simply cannot shoot because I cannot get a good grip on them. That is too small. I'm 185cm and my glove size is XL.

Besides, the Glock 43x is a bit slimmer and lighter than the 26, holds 10+1. It has a longer grip than the 26 but I assure you, you will need a magazine extender for the 26 to properly hold it, and then it is as long as the 43x.

Glock 43x:

xenmQu7.jpg

I dont usually venture into this part of the website. As soon as all the Covid restrictions die down i plan on getting my Massachusetts LTC and purchasing my "first" firearm. I use quotations because Ive pretty much been shooting my whole life, and safety has been drilled into my head since cub scouts with bb guns, followed by rifles and shotguns throughout boy scouts. Ive narrowed it down to 2 different concealed carry guns, but im open to suggestions. Does anyone have any experience or perhaps own either a Glock G26 or a Sig P365 micro compact and can recomend them or not? I really like my brothers p365 and Im used to it, but the Glock looks nice as well. Thoughts?

I'd go as small as possible while still being able to shoot the gun properly. I don't know your hand size, but I do know there are some small guns out there I simply cannot shoot because I cannot get a good grip on them. That is too small. I'm 185cm and my glove size is XL.

Besides, the Glock 43x is a bit slimmer and lighter than the 26, holds 10+1. It has a longer grip than the 26 but I assure you, you will need a magazine extender for the 26 to properly hold it, and then it is as long as the 43x.

Glock 43x:

xenmQu7.jpg

Echoing that the 43x is a good option. The 48 is also an option. The 48 has the same frame dimensions as a 43x, but a longer slide. Another plus with the 43x/48, Shield Arms makes 15 round magazines, but you live in a restricted state.

I have shot a 42 and 43 a number of times. If I remember right, I think only with the longer magazines because otherwise I would probably not have liked them very much. I have shot a friends XD-S a number of times with the flush fit magazines and did not really like it. I have also shot a number of pocket guns and absolutely hated them.

@Fastcarguy if you have the opportunity, try to rent each gun at a local gun range and shoot them. A gun may feel good in your hands whilr at the gun counter, but what matters most is how well you're able to shoot it. With you guys being limited to 10-round magazines in Massachusetts, I like the idea of a single stack 9mm for conceal carry. The Sig Sauer P365 has good reputation but I think you should try out the P365 XL. Like @Michael88 and @Brett I'd also recommend trying out the Glock G43X.

@Michael88 I have a question for you. Lately I haven't been able to find the .308 Win 168 grain BTHP Hornady Match ammo but I have been able to find the Federal Premium 185 grain Juggernaut you recommended to a while back. The 185 grain ammo has a G1 BC of 0.552 and muzzle velocity of 2600 fps. While the 168 grain ammo I currently shoot has a G1 BC of 0.450 and muzzle velocity of 2700. With that being said, which of the two would you recommend for shooting 1,000+ yards?

Unfortunately my nearest range does not have rentals, and im limited to what my friends and brother have. I mentioned that I'm familiar with my brothers p365, and Ive used a friends G19. I know Glock makes good stuff, but is it worth sticking with the P365 as its a platform I'm familiar with and can shoot well? I know early on a few years ago some people had problems with the Sig, but it seems a lot of those issues have been fixed, and the 10+1 in such a small platform really appeals to me.

Unfortunately my nearest range does not have rentals, and im limited to what my friends and brother have. I mentioned that I'm familiar with my brothers p365, and Ive used a friends G19. I know Glock makes good stuff, but is it worth sticking with the P365 as its a platform I'm familiar with and can shoot well? I know early on a few years ago some people had problems with the Sig, but it seems a lot of those issues have been fixed, and the 10+1 in such a small platform really appeals to me.

To answer your question, personally it all depends on what issue still exist with the P365. I say this because I honestly haven't followed the news regarding what changes Sig Sauer has made to address the issues the gun had when it was first released. Despite you already being comfortable with the platform, I still think it is important to do your due diligence in determining whether or not this gun will safely and reliably suit your needs.

To answer your question, personally it all depends on what issue still exist with the P365. I say this because I honestly haven't followed the news regarding what changes Sig Sauer has made to address the issues the gun had when it was first released. Despite you already being comfortable with the platform, I still think it is important to do your due diligence in determining whether or not this gun will safely and reliably suit your needs.
I definitely want to get hands on time with all my options at the range before I make a purchase. Once I have my ltc and the range opens back up maybe i can ask around there and see if i can get time with other options.

@Fastcarguy please don't think that I was trying to bash the P365 in my previous post. Just trying to encourage you compare your first option (P365) to other options currently on the market.

Have you began to look into conceal carry holsters yet?

Just from looking online, I really like the look of Tulster holsters. I need in waistband, as even though open carry is technically legal in mass, its a great way to get the police called. Again, just like with the gun itself, Id like to get hands on with holsters. whats good for other people might not work out well for me, but tulster makes holsters for most carry pistols, with and without lights, and they do look nice.

Just from looking online, I really like the look of Tulster holsters. I need in waistband, as even though open carry is technically legal in mass, its a great way to get the police called. Again, just like with the gun itself, Id like to get hands on with holsters. whats good for other people might not work out well for me, but tulster makes holsters for most carry pistols, with and without lights, and they do look nice.

Those Tulster holsters look pretty cool. I like the fact that the same inside-waistband holster can also be used as an appendix holster. Given the recent popularity of appendix carry, I wouldn't mind giving it a try. I'm glad you mentioned Tulster holsters because I'll definitely be looking into one of these holsters once I finally decide on what to purchase as my next conceal carry weapon. I've been using an older Alien Gear Cloak Tuck series inside-waistband holster for a little over 4 years now. I've heard great things about Crossbreed holsters for years but was never willing to spend that kind of money on a holster. The beauty about most holsters is the fact that you can return them (within 30-days) and get your money back if you don't like the holster. Find one you like and try it out for a week or so once you've received your LTC.

As I started watching, I was thinking I really like the M-Lok handguard.... then Tim says the opposite of what I was thinking. :lol:

P.S. Any of you guys have much experience with Sig P229? I used to be fond of P229 or P226 when I was a kid(I can't remember which one I read about. Probably P226). P229 RX(w/red dot) really interests me. @David You've probably shot one, maybe have one?

I also like the M-Lok handguard.

I do not have any experience with a P229, but a friend of mine has a P226 and I have shot it a few times.

Shot my percussion blackpowder revolver today, oh boy this is SO much fun! Anyone who has not tried that yet has to give it a go someday, its impossible not to get a wide stupid grin after firing a whole cylinder. :D

Shot my .44 1860 Colt army revolver, surprisingly the cylinder chambers hold 37 grains of blackpowder, thats quite a load. Lots of smoke, deep thunderous BOOMs, fire and good hits. The .44 takes a punch. Best thing is, once the cylinder is loaded it just like a normal revolver, 100% reliable and hard hitting.
I might need another Blackpowder revolver, maybe an 1858 Remington. :D

Yesterday I had some spare time and decided to go to the range. Prior to getting to the range I made a stop at Cabela's (outdoor store) to purchase some steel cased ammo for my AK pistol. Unfortunately I did not find any steel cased .223/5.56 ammo, instead I found brass cased .223/5.56 for $6.99 per box of 20-rounds. I'd also like to report that there was a small amount of 40sw and 45acp still on the shelves but no 9mm.

When I got the range I decided to rent a Smith & Wesson M&P 9 M2.0 4" Compact. It is a gun I've wanted to shoot since it was first released. However, I wasn't able to rent this gun during my last visit, due to it being rented by someone else at that time.

For size comparison I'd say this gun is roughly (if not exactly) the same size as a Gen 5 Glock G19. The M&P felt slightly thinner width wise, but this is based off of what I vageuly remember about the dimensions of the G19. Preference wise, I loved the grip texture but was a little surprised about the grip length. Smith & Wesson make a 3.6" barrel version if this gun and I thought the grip would be a full-suze grip like the Glock G19X or G45. The gun shot very well even with the stock trigger, which some prefer to replace with an Apex trigger. Overall, I think this gun is very well suited for conceal carry. With a 15+1 capacity or 10+1 for compliant states, this gun could also be easily used as a home defense weapon.

20200514_165555.jpg

@a6m5 unfortunately I don't have any experience with the Sig P229. But I like what the P229 RX has to offer. Also like you @Brett I like the M-Lok handguard on CZ Bren 2M as well. @Brett that Alof magazine reloader is awesome. Gotta love the ingenuity that went the creation of things from the past.

@Michael88 I'll have to take your word about what is is like to shoot a percussion blackpowder revolver. I don't know much about blackpowder guns in general but wouldn't mind shooting a few.

@Fastcarguy have you purchased your P365 yet?

I love the price point of M&P handguns. P229 RX price point, not so much. I'm thinking about selling the USP again though.

@Brett Did you like the way P226 shot? Also, :lol: at the Alofs.

@Brett Did you like the way P226 shot? Also, :lol: at the Alofs.

It has been quite a while since I shot it, but I do not remember disliking anything about it. The P226/P229 series are really good pistols. I doubt you would not like owning one.

It has been quite a while since I shot it, but I do not remember disliking anything about it. The P226/P229 series are really good pistols. I doubt you would not like owning one.
Been hearing from & reading a lot about people who likes both Glocks & Sigs, they prefer Sigs on accuracy. Very reason why I liked them when I was a kid was due to "Guns & Ammo" magazine claiming how accurate those pistols were.

@Xavier2342 I still have 6 days until Im old enough to get it in Mass, 21, as well as the classes required are still closed until further notice because of Covid, as well as the ridiculous ammo shortages right now. I have got some time at the range with my brother and a few friends. still havent got hands on with holsters but as far as the actual gun I think Im pretty sold on the 365 compared to the subcompact or compact Glocks. Just feels nicer in my relatively small hands.

Been hearing from & reading a lot about people who likes both Glocks & Sigs, they prefer Sigs on accuracy. Very reason why I liked them when I was a kid was due to "Guns & Ammo" magazine claiming how accurate those pistols were.

Still think its an ergonomics thing though, pretty much all pistols are accurate enough to shoot groups HALF the size what seriously capable shooters can do on their best days. Groups like the size of 1.5 inch at 25 yds from a ransom rest.

I think most people have an easier time with the SIG than the Glock because of ergonomics.
I'm one of those that have an easy time with the Glock grip shape and trigger, I can shoot Glocks as accurately as tricked out 1911's or other competition pistols. Maybe its because I have an easy time with stiff triggers, I can shoot guns with stiff triggers very accurately, be it rifles or handguns. It does not bother me nearly as much as most other people.

Still think its an ergonomics thing though, pretty much all pistols are accurate enough to shoot groups HALF the size what seriously capable shooters can do on their best days. Groups like the size of 1.5 inch at 25 yds from a ransom rest.

I think most people have an easier time with the SIG than the Glock because of ergonomics.
I'm one of those that have an easy time with the Glock grip shape and trigger, I can shoot Glocks as accurately as tricked out 1911's or other competition pistols. Maybe its because I have an easy time with stiff triggers, I can shoot guns with stiff triggers very accurately, be it rifles or handguns. It does not bother me nearly as much as most other people.
I suspect the same, and you hear how modern handguns are more accurate than most shooters, all the time. P229's are so frigging expensive, but I hope to get one in the near future. If I do get it, I think I'd end up selling the USP. I'm gonna shoot it again tomorrow & see how I'd feel about that. :P

I had my worst exercise with my Glock 19 few weeks ago, but today was the best so far. Phew. Still not ready for the big boy 25yd range, but I believe I'm getting there... slowly.... I was able to keep them on the 8" paper. USP on the other hand, that one's getting away from me. Maybe it's one of those things, sometimes it's hard to go from one gun to another gun, with another caliber. :crazy: If anybody want to see pics, I also blogged about the Magpul PMAG for Glock 19. PMAG felt cheap, but it works. Doesn't load smooth like with factory Glock mags.
Wow. That's lot cheaper than I expected. đź‘Ť I'd still want the RX though, for the red dot. A rail too, for if I ever get a weapon light.

Back