Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
A few weeks ago he did a few videos about sights and the evolution of some old guns. I know he mentioned earlier in the year that they have content to keep putting out but didn't know how long that would sustain the channel. I guess he threw in some simpler videos to make sure he always has something.

He covers just about anything firearm related he can get his hands on. That can make for some simple or short videos.

One of my favorite things to do is grabbing popcorn and watching a ton of his videos. They’re always entertaining for the spec and history nerd.

I just had a dream of terribly handling a jam on my friend’s handgun and I blew it up trying to shoot it.

You know it’s bad when you wake up feeling embarrassed.

The weirdness of older firearms when the technology was developing is very neat to see. How things have developed over the years and into what we have now is interesting. It is only something I have picked up on and learned from watching a bunch of Ian's videos. He covers so much variety that it is hard to not learn something.

Do you guys know what he did with DICE on particular? I like the nerdy how-to stuff in general but i guess with guns I need more. Not like Demolition Ranch stupid shooting pillow or what have you, but practical application is interesting to me too

All I could find is he did some consulting with DICE. Given his background, it would probably have to do with the appearance and function of weapons that did exist during World War I, but never saw any adoption/use during the war and were produced in very limited numbers. He would be someone to talk to on something like that since he has potentially had access to the few that still survive.

If you want to get really in depth about firearms from World War I, then I would suggest C&Rsenal. I have not really watched any of their stuff, other than their collaboration with Ian on Project Lightening.

Last edited:
I'm curious what open vs closed bolt means. I see that brought up in relation to affecting other characteristics of the firearm and have no idea what anyone's talking about. I understand how the recoil spring works and how the Kriss Vector is able to do what it does/is shaped the way it is

I'm curious what open vs closed bolt means. I see that brought up in relation to affecting other characteristics of the firearm and have no idea what anyone's talking about. I understand how the recoil spring works and how the Kriss Vector is able to do what it does/is shaped the way it is

Ian has a video on just that:

And a playlist of other operations:

F3F5FC7E-438F-433F-B3AE-A6CDE5FA427C.jpeg

Of its kind, it’s the last on the shelf… :nervous:

But it is the weekend…

Start reloading shotgun shells. I do it, its a lot of fun and you can do all kinds of funky stuff. I love loading a bore sized round ball on top 3 buckshot pellets. Thats buck & ball like they used to load it in the old muskets. I also build 12 00 pellet loads and mixed shot, like 12 # 4 buckshot and 6 #00 buckshot pellets.

Get a ton of primed shotgun hulls, buy a mold or a ton of buckshot pellets and have fun!

I'm all for it, but rather not. I have too many toys I don't play with any more as it is.

$8 a box of 25 is fine. When that can't be found, I'll just have a clean shotgun full of memories.

Well i mean if you put tacks and sharp things in there won't it be more lethal and not regulation ammo?
Dude, this is a shotgun. Its pretty damn lethal no matter what you put in it. In its defensive role it was designed to be an extremely good stopper simply because it causes so much damage.

The only thing that could get you into trouble would be putting explosive projectiles in it, explosive ammunition is, as far as I know, a destructive device by law and that requires a special permit of sorts.

So rusty nails is a okay? That's hilarious and awesome

Yes, but you'd probably be surprised to hear that lead shot is pretty much the most ''lethal'' projectile you can put into a shotgun shell anyway, its no coincidence that 99,99% of shotgun rounds ARE filled with lead shot. Rusty nails wont be nearly as effective because they will not fly straight and steel is light compared to lead. They will create mostly ugly surface wounds.

Same with razor blades, pencils, rocks or pennies.

The only reasonable thing to make shotgun rounds ''better'' is either to add the powder charge to increase energy or increase the number of pellets without decreasing velocity too much. Most other exotic modifications will make them LESS lethal.

For example, this is one of my loads. A single Diabolo-shaped projectile in bore size, 650 grains at around 1500 fp/s. More lethal than shot? Nope, but it has better penetration. If I wanted to hunt big game this would be more effective than shot, but for self defense against human targets it would be less effective than shot. (But still very effective, just not AS effective)

j6l5CME.jpg

Couple more, the 3 1/2” are monsters. Glad I saw that box, last on the shelf though. The other, also the last box on the shelf, a fairly hot 9 pellet 2 3/4”.

00 fan…

View attachment 956530

And a bore snake finally.
Ya better be working the shoulders out or have a smooth shottie! 3 1/2 00!:lol:
If you shoot any, please post a pic of the target. I’ve only shot 2 3/4 and 3 in 00.
:cheers: Congrats on the find!

If the 3 1/2” didn’t blow me back a legit foot from where I started standing, the bruise would be in the proper spot. The other fellas won’t even try. 100 skeet 7.5 rounds, nothing. One single 3 1/2”, destroyed. I love it.

6E3FEC72-F7C6-4385-AF23-12905F88BDCB.jpeg

Yep, it goes from a good tuck to over there with that much force.

There’s no target left. The watermelon tuned back to water.

Yep, 3 1/2" … :sly:

I'll be on the lookout. I buy 7.5 for skeet, whatever else for blasting.

I have a 3" 2 shot. Good kick.

View attachment 956950
I’m a duck hunter. After shooting 4-5 boxes of 3in 2 shot over a days time, it gets rough. :lol:
Turkey loads are a beast of their own.
Just know lead goes farther and does more damage than steel for HD. I gather you know that already! :cheers:

Put a scope on my self-built 7x57mm rifle, a Zeiss Terra 2-7x33. I like 2-7x32, at 2 magnification I can easily make quick shots at 25 meters or less, with 7x I can make hits out to 500 meters easily, its still very good at low light conditions and the scope is small and lightweight.
Also sealed the stock with wax, to close its pores and make it resistant against moisture and polished the bolt and internals with my dremel to a mirror finish.

Used Leupold STD mounts. I thought about going with a picatinny rail, but I found that a rail on a classic rifle like this would look like white sport rims on a muscle car. :scared:

8NhG8UQ.jpg

Xq24XML.jpg

s3iKJPW.jpg

Thats how I got it. No part fit and it was ROUGH :D

CJi3Nyt.jpg

Last edited:
Any tips for a full-auto first timer?

Lean into the gun as if you were bracing for a punch, 75% of your weight on the front foot. With your supporting hand, don't just hold the gun but pull the gun forward, while with your trigger hand, pull the gun towards you. That opposing push-pull helps a ton to stabilize guns that recoil a lot.

If you shoot in neutral relaxed stance the gun will climb a lot and you hit nothing or worse - pepper the ceiling.

Lean into the gun as if you were bracing for a punch, 75% of your weight on the front foot.
If you shoot in neutral relaxed stance the gun will climb a lot and you hit nothing or worse - pepper the ceiling.
Gotcha. 👍 Should I start at 223 or should I try for pistol caliber?

If both are full auto - Oftentimes the pistol calibers will, surprisingly, have more recoil than .223. Pistol caliber guns are direct blow back, oftentimes they are very light and the projectile weight is higher. This all results in more recoil than the gentle gas operated .223 rifles, even though the 223 has far more energy. But above .223 the rifles will recoil much harder.

I would load a 223 AR with 10 rounds and go full auto to get a feel for it. Don't shoot a full magazine on your first try, for obvious reasons.

If both are full auto - Oftentimes the pistol calibers will, surprisingly, have more recoil than .223. Pistol caliber guns are direct blow back, oftentimes they are very light and the projectile weight is higher. This all results in more recoil than the gentle gas operated .223 rifles, even though the 223 has far more energy. But above .223 the rifles will recoil much harder.

I would load a 223 AR with 10 rounds and go full auto to get a feel for it. Don't shoot a full magazine on your first try, for obvious reasons.
👍

I will, of course, provide a video after the trip.

The one exception on pistol caliber is the MP5. It is just about the only pistol caliber that is not direct blowback. I have been thinking about this off and on for some time and I have not really been able to think of another non-direct blowback submachine gun.

Back