Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
Vertical grips are no-no's on a pistol if I remember correctly.
To me that seems a bit confusing. What about the Kriss Vector in pistol form? It still has a vertical body that could possibly be used as a vertical grip.
It looks like David was right. I read it again:

"The interchangeability of the forward triangle grip with the locking magazine well now provides users with the option of vertical or horizontal hand placement. Note: Before use of the magazine well, NFA AOW registration is required." link

I read that as use of the "well", but it clearly means use of the "magazine well" piece. I will make note on my post the grip piece was never fully inserted & installed on the Micro Roni, just staged for photos. :P

Wait, I'm not in the US and I don't get it, I think. So the vertical grip on the RONI is a no-no because it is a Brace model which is registered as a pistol and not SBR, right? Pistols are not allowed to have vertical grips for the support hands, yes? But what about the Gen3 RONI that comes with a fixed vertical grip like mine? So, in the US you can only get that model if you do SBR it?

💡

Wait, I'm not in the US and I don't get it, I think. So the vertical grip on the RONI is a no-no because it is a Brace model which is registered as a pistol and not SBR, right? Pistols are not allowed to have vertical grips for the support hands, yes? But what about the Gen3 RONI that comes with a fixed vertical grip like mine? So, in the US you can only get that model if you do SBR it?

💡
Our Gen 3 seems to have triangle forward grip as well?

Well, I had one of the best plinking day ever, by myself again. While it's not recommended to go into mountain by yourself(dangerous roads, mountain lions.... rednecks?), when you are trying to sight in a red dot & MBUS, it was so nice to have nobody getting in your way, with zero distractions. I was out there for like four hours today. Shot for hours, picked up bunch of spent cases & trash, then took a nice break. Didn't even hear another vehicle until I was almost totally out of the woods. Gorgeous views & it was therapeutic. Anywho, Micro Roni.... Was it fun? Yes. Red dot & MBUS were money.

0.JPG

0000000000000.JPG

00000000000.JPG

Look what I found on the ground, @Michael88 I didn't even realize it was gone. 🤬

0000000000.JPG

Obviously the red dot doesn't look like that to naked eye. :odd: Blurry yellow dot is self-sealing/healing? target I use.

There was one major issue however:

000000000000.JPG

My Glock 19 experienced ZERO issue until today. Only while attached to Micro Roni, I believe I had four failure to eject.

I've had handful of FTE with my very first handgun, Gen 3 G17, likely from limp wristing. I believe it's a similar issue with the way I'm shooting with Micro Roni stock, not anything mechanical. As it stands today, it's a fun plinking gun. Not a weapon.

I like this new spot. I was shooting my AR at 50+ yards, which is almost never possible in other spots. I'm putting together a shopping list for different kind of target stands(basically just two metal stakes). It would be possible to shoot out to 100 yards with little luck. :embarrassed:

That is so strange, Glock jamming? Is that problem ammo or magazine specific? Have you tried cleaning the bolt face and the area under the extractor?

Strangely enough, if that problem persists ands occurs with other ammunition as well I'd say it sounds like the recoil spring was too strong for some weird reason, offering too much resistance slowing down the slide too much. If I were you I'd get a new recoil spring and/or get the old spring and cut off a few loops to soften it a little.

I kind of doubt you can limp-wrist a 9x19 handgun so much you get jams, but then again I'm not a pistol expert.

That is so strange, Glock jamming? Is that problem ammo or magazine specific? Have you tried cleaning the bolt face and the area under the extractor?

Strangely enough, if that problem persists ands occurs with other ammunition as well I'd say it sounds like the recoil spring was too strong for some weird reason, offering too much resistance slowing down the slide too much. If I were you I'd get a new recoil spring and/or get the old spring and cut off a few loops to soften it a little.

I kind of doubt you can limp-wrist a 9x19 handgun so much you get jams, but then again I'm not a pistol expert.
I shot a bunch with Micro Roni, first. Handful of FTE. Then I shot few mags worth, without Micro Roni(probably two boxes, 100rds). Back to shooting perfect again.

Gun & magazine's in their prime, and ammo were all CCI(Blazer). Most consistent ammo I've ever shot, as far as reliability goes. I'd be shocked if it was the Glock or the ammo.

Yesterday, only thing I could think of was the way I was holding the gun, but I totally forgot about this:

#micro roni slide.JPG

Potential culprit: Micro Roni charging handle. You slide the serrated part of your Glock slide into it, and it works as the charging handle. One thing I noticed about the plastic mold on Micro Roni's that they are cut/trimmed little rough, at least on mine. It's possible this charging handle's causing excessive friction to affect the action. Is it possible for it to cause FTEs?

Last edited:
Potential culprit: Micro Roni charging handle. You slide the serrated part of your Glock slide into it, and it works as the charging handle. One thing I noticed about the plastic mold on Micro Roni's that they are cut/trimmed little rough, at least on mine. It's possible this charging handle's causing excessive friction to affect the action. Is it possible for it to cause FTEs?

Hm, you might be onto something here, if it slowed down the slide just enough it could definitely cause this exact malfunction. 💡

I have seen people causing their guns to do FTEs in this exact way by unintentionally rubbing their thumb against the slide during shooting.
Limp-wristing is even more unlikely in a stock because your shoulder is much sturdier than your wrist, offering much more resistance so I'd rule that one out for sure.

If I were you I'd try to spray it down with a silicone lubricant or graphite lubricant and shoot it a bunch, and re-apply it every 2 magazines or so. If it stops to malfunction its the charging handle causing friction. Also maybe there is a plastic burr somewhere, check for scratches in the charging handle window, maybe the pistol slide recoils in an angle relative to the stock?

And hotter ammo too, as far as I know CCI Blazer is on the lower end in terms of energy, maybe the pistol just barely works with that ammo but malfunctions as soon as there is a tiny friction increase. Is there a difference in ejection with the Glock in the RONI and used just as a pistol? If there is more friction in the RONI the Glock should throw brass a shorter distance.

I also checked my RONI, still don't have my license yet so no Glock to do tests but the charging handle friction is very low with my model, slides like butter on glass. And I have a bunch of friends who are very happy with their RONI stocks, never heard of them having any problems of that sort, but they all have Gen3 stocks. Maybe the finish on the Gen5 is rougher?

In any case, this definitely sounds like a problem that can be solved, it just needs to be identified.

Hm, you might be onto something here, if it slowed down the slide just enough it could definitely cause this exact malfunction. 💡

I have seen people causing their guns to do FTEs in this exact way by unintentionally rubbing their thumb against the slide during shooting.
Limp-wristing is even more unlikely in a stock because your shoulder is much sturdier than your wrist, offering much more resistance so I'd rule that one out for sure.

If I were you I'd try to spray it down with a silicone lubricant or graphite lubricant and shoot it a bunch, and re-apply it every 2 magazines or so. If it stops to malfunction its the charging handle causing friction. Also maybe there is a plastic burr somewhere, check for scratches in the charging handle window, maybe the pistol slide recoils in an angle relative to the stock?

And hotter ammo too, as far as I know CCI Blazer is on the lower end in terms of energy, maybe the pistol just barely works with that ammo but malfunctions as soon as there is a tiny friction increase. Is there a difference in ejection with the Glock in the RONI and used just as a pistol? If there is more friction in the RONI the Glock should throw brass a shorter distance.

I also checked my RONI, still don't have my license yet so no Glock to do tests but the charging handle friction is very low with my model, slides like butter on glass. And I have a bunch of friends who are very happy with their RONI stocks, never heard of them having any problems of that sort, but they all have Gen3 stocks. Maybe the finish on the Gen5 is rougher?

In any case, this definitely sounds like a problem that can be solved, it just needs to be identified.
We are on the same page. 👍 I'll keep you guys posted!

I did one rapid fire with it. It wasn't as fast as it was in the video however, not even close...... 💡 Didn't experience FTE that time though. :D
Also, a6m5 have you seen these ?
That's not bad. Where we shoot though, targets almost always gets setup on the side of a hill?(also serves as backstop) My current idea is two metal posts to stake into the dirt, then just slip cardboard box over it to stick/staple paper targets on them.

My current idea is two metal posts to stake into the dirt, then just slip cardboard box over it to stick/staple paper targets on them.

I've seen those before, that's actually a really cool setup as long as you don't have Caliche soil...lol

One of the guys at work saw this pic & asked if the ejected cases were hitting the EOTech.....

:dunce:

Very plausible. I’ve seen ejected shells bouncing back inside the port on YouTube! I’ll be checking the bottom side of the red dot when I get home. :crazy:
I've seen those before, that's actually a really cool setup as long as you don't have Caliche soil...lol
I had to Google “Caliche”. :lol: I’ve had similar experience with gravel on gravel in the same area. :dopey:

One of the guys at work saw this pic & asked if the ejected cases were hitting the EOTech.....

:dunce:

Very plausible. I’ve seen ejected shells bouncing back inside the port on YouTube! I’ll be checking the bottom side of the red dot when I get home.

No, that's a stovepipe.

No, that's a stovepipe.

Yeah but it could be a stovepipe from bouncing off the eotech and back into the slidepath. I've stovepiped cases that have bounced off my thumb with the Archon.

nwarmory.JPG

This is where I've been buying the 9mm on special(CCI Blazer). I think the first case was $180($9/box), but maybe last three cases, it's been $8 a box on sale. I even picked up one of their expensive Glock mag today to support their business. :embarrassed:
No, that's a stovepipe.
I'd be incredibly surprised if that was what's going on here. Too much friction from the charging handle or something rubbing seems much more likely.
Yeah but it could be a stovepipe from bouncing off the eotech and back into the slidepath. I've stovepiped cases that have bounced off my thumb with the Archon.
Earlier, I said I saw stovepipe caused by spent case bouncing back inside the port. I think I actually heard it on Military Arms Channel. Tim from MAC was shooting something that was stovepiping & later discovered that it was cases bouncing back inside.

I inspected the gun & there is good chance my coworker was on the money:

1) I'm the idiot. I thought I inspected it carefully before firing, I didn't see that gigantic EOTech is so wide, it sticks out almost exactly 5/8 on an inch over the ejector port. I've had a rough day, go easy on me. :dunce:

2) Would brass leave chips where they hit? Little bit of it wiped off, but the bottom of EOTech on the ejector port side is clearly marked up by bunch of shell casings:

#gtp.JPG

3) While I haven't done any testing, I played around with the plastic charging handle piece & action feels as it should. Casual observation, but I don't sense any friction & definite not seeing any marks, etc.

Next time I take it out shooting, I will likely have the backup sights removed & EOTech moved forward. Basically, I will clear the path of the ejector port & see if I get any stovepipes.

I like Micro Roni & if I stick with it, it may see more compact red dot on it in the near future. Maybe scope style like Michael's, or Burris FF3 mini red dot I have on the AR. Thanks guys as always for letting me pick your brain. 👍
This also reminded me I really need to see about an RMA for my Eotech XPS2.0. Mine was made in 2012 and the reticle completely fades away when the gun starts getting hot in the summer.
It wasn't that hot when I shot Saturday, but when it got warm, it looked like my reticle faded, then disappeared? I figured it was the batteries, so I changed it, but I thought it looked like the reticle disappeared again, then came back? What's the story? Are these things known to have problems in the sun? :nervous:

That's gotta be what it is. Don't drive yourself crazy trying to figure out what else it could be. Just take it off or move it and go from there. 👍

That's gotta be what it is. Don't drive yourself crazy trying to figure out what else it could be. Just take it off or move it and go from there. 👍
Yeah, I suspect the same. Like I said, next time I shoot it, maybe even this weekend, I'll have the red dot moved away from the ejection port & see if it cured it. Thanks mang. 👍

Yeah sounds very plausible to me too. There definitely should not be brass markings on the sighting system, thats trouble. The brass also ejects with quite an authority, those impacts sure don't do the eotech any good. Had no idea that Eotechs were so wide! :eek:

Oh by the way, I just stumbled across another cool Glock chassis I had not known before, made by B&T. Less sturdy than the Roni for sure but more compact:

dVYiI7g.jpg

I went to Academy a few days ago to get some things for the trip we just got back from. While I was there, I looked at the guns and decided I wanted to look at the Glock 45. Prior to the Gen 5s, Glocks felt like holding a 2x4. With the removal of the finger grooves, the Gen 5 feels tremendously better in the hand. I was already considering buying a Glock because seemingly everyone else has one. After holding the 45, I am more strongly considering one.

Yeah sounds very plausible to me too. There definitely should not be brass markings on the sighting system, thats trouble. The brass also ejects with quite an authority, those impacts sure don't do the eotech any good. Had no idea that Eotechs were so wide! :eek:
Exterior shield assembly adds a lot of bulk, but should provide effective protection.
Oh by the way, I just stumbled across another cool Glock chassis I had not known before, made by B&T. Less sturdy than the Roni for sure but more compact:
First one I eyed years ago was lot like this one. It was NFA, so I didn’t pursue it after that.
Glocks felt like holding a 2x4.
I’m not a fan either, you should be familiar with that already. I cry about it enough. :lol:

@Brett if/when you get a Glock, do yourself a favor and get a Glock from the MOS lineup. Save yourself the hassle of getting your slide milled for a red dot sight.

Today I stopped by the district commission and finally applied for the gun license, it was much less of a bureaucratic chore than I expected and I had a fun relaxed chat with the guy responsible for dealing with gun related stuff. He also assured me that I'm gonna get the license inside the next 2 weeks, apparently such things move faster here, outside the big cities.

Amazingly, I even managed to do a passport photo for my license that does not make me look like a mass murderer on the run.
I'm sure my bushy mustache helps me to hide my crazy features. :lol:

I’m not a fan either, you should be familiar with that already. I cry about it enough. :lol:

I really did not like how a Gen 4 felt in the hand. The Gen 5 is a different story.

@Brett if/when you get a Glock, do yourself a favor and get a Glock from the MOS lineup. Save yourself the hassle of getting your slide milled for a red dot sight.

I just looked and there is a Glock 45 MOS. Now I just need Aimpoint ARCOs to become more available.

Today I stopped by the district commission and finally applied for the gun license, it was much less of a bureaucratic chore than I expected and I had a fun relaxed chat with the guy responsible for dealing with gun related stuff. He also assured me that I'm gonna get the license inside the next 2 weeks, apparently such things move faster here, outside the big cities.
Good news. Sounds really reasonable. 👍
I'm sure my bushy mustache helps me to hide my crazy features. :lol:
:nervous:
I really did not like how a Gen 4 felt in the hand. The Gen 5 is a different story.
Gen 3 I wasn't a fan of. Gen 4 felt better, but it was lot better for me once I installed the large backstrap? I've yet to hold the Gen 5. I'll have to ask to see one next time I'm in the gun store. 👍

Went out to shoot my little 38 Special 1866 carbine. Love it. Holds 10+1, shoots about as fast as a semi-auto rifle (Aimed fire). Fun thing is, the .38 special leaves the barrel of a revolver at about 900 fps, producing around 285 ft/lbs, now out of my rifle the same load will be accelerated to a whooping 1210 fp/s, producing over 515 ft/lbs with the 158 grain pill. So with the longer barrel I can get a .38SPC to nearly .357 mag level, and that with basically zero recoil and little noise.
This rifle is a shooting machine. :dopey:

aYUA7Rb.jpg

m5RMNnY.jpg

I absolutely love the brass frame. So beautiful. I polished this one not to mirror finish but used a rough sponge to give it a satined, oldschool look.

cxWSyZL.jpg

Michael88 congrats, you're one step closer to getting your gun. I really like your 1886 Carbine and I love the fact that it has side gate loading.

a6m5 I couldn't agree more with you about the Gen 3 vs Gen 4 Glock comparison. Although the finger grooves aren't that big of a deal for me I prefer the Gen 5 amongst the rest.

Did some shooting today. Moved the EOTech to test that FTE theory, but I made one mistake. I cleaned the gun. :ouch: It was so dirty! Either way, I honestly don't believe it affected anything. Gun ran flawlessly with Micro Roni, but for me, it was pretty clear it was because ejected cases weren't striking the red dot sight. How Micro Roni looks now with EOTech moved forward + other guns I took with me:

0.jpg
This rifle is a shooting machine. :dopey:
One of the most interesting guns I've seen in this thread. 👍
a6m5 I couldn't agree more with you about the Gen 3 vs Gen 4 Glock comparison. Although the finger grooves aren't that big of a deal for me I prefer the Gen 5 amongst the rest.
My apologies for the long post, but since we discuss pistols a lot: I'm not getting rid of the Glock or anything, but I did some testing today. I've always known that I'm a better shot with my HK USP & Kimber Custom Target II(both .45ACP). I've always ****ed around with them. I plinked, but never measured accuracy with these guns. :dunce:

Today, I decided to. First was Glock 19. Same, same. Really bad at 10 yards in the beginning. Better toward the end, but still missing bunch of them outside 6" target. I shot at the same size target at 25 yards, but I can't remember if I hit it even once(I shot a lot today).

Second gun was HK USP. Started taking pics:

0000000.JPG

Rusty, but still almost all of them on target.

00000000.jpg

Only 3 on target at 25yds, but felt I could do better with practice.

Not great, but solid starting point.... THEN I SHOT THE KIMBER:

000000000.jpg
All on target at 10yds, 6 out of 8 at 25yds.

0000000000.jpg

I don't even recall trying a 50 yard shot with a pistol before. I had already setup a 50 yard mark for the AR later, so after the 25 yard results, I was like "why not?". While only three nailed the 6" circle, this is close to the level of accuracy I've been striving to achieve.

I ran out of ammo, but I need to do more testing. After today, I can't help, but to think that I'm trying to master the wrong gun for me. I've always liked 1911 for the short, crisp trigger. Balance & weight of steel frame. Revolver style adjustable sights. I'll miss the high capacity, but man, if these results stay consistent, I gotta go with a gun that'll help me shoot better. If anybody's interested, more on my blog.

@a6m5 glad to hear that everything went well with your Micro Roni. Just how dirty was your Glock after your previous outing? Also, sounds to me like you're a .45 ACP guy. I'm glad your preference is the gun (or caliber) you shoot best rather than something based upon the opinions of others i.e. the know-it-alls of the gun community (no one on GTPlanet). Here is a quote I found about the .45ACP. "45 ACP: Because you don't need double stacked fifteen round mags when you are carrying the Lords round of choice" :lol:.

Also here are some videos I thought you guys might be interested in.

This video in particular is for @Michael88 as an example of how screwed up our (USA) gun laws are.

I won't spoil anything for you guys but I found the results very interesting.

@a6m5 glad to hear that everything went well with your Micro Roni. Just how dirty was your Glock after your previous outing?
I never clean it, so it was pretty dirty(amazing gun in that respect). If we are talking about just after Micro Roni, slide gets super dirty, fast:

#gtp.JPG

*This is just after last Friday.

Also, sounds to me like you're a .45 ACP guy. I'm glad your preference is the gun (or caliber) you shoot best rather than something based upon the opinions of others i.e. the know-it-alls of the gun community (no one on GTPlanet). Here is a quote I found about the .45ACP. "45 ACP: Because you don't need double stacked fifteen round mags when you are carrying the Lords round of choice" :lol:.
.45 & .308's are the God's caliber, that's been established before the internet, everybody knows that. joke! :P On .45ACP, especially the 1911, it's just impossible to argue personal results. :crazy: With the Kimber, I'm looking forward to shoot more at 50 yards next time. With my G19, I'd be hitting somebody else's target at that kind of distance. It's been an eyeopener for me. :crazy:
This video in particular is for @Michael88 as an example of how screwed up our (USA) gun laws are.
Tragedy for gun enthusiasts in this country. :(
I won't spoil anything for you guys but I found the results very interesting.
.40 S&W recoil haters now have numbers to backup their claims. I've never shot one. :lol:

Back