real life experiences

• Thread starter Luwee
  • 65 comments
I think, it only takes one or 2 driving experiences to learn to drive the car, I can already drive my car competently and i am only 14, but I dont just choose to take it out whenever, totally unnaceptable. I hear the biggest problem people have, is not expecting the feeling of sliding, my cousin would always quickly correct back to the road, he wouldnt try to hold the slide because it was a bit scary for him. It is a weird sense, and you cant freak out.
I have had a few experiences, huge slides on dirt with SUVs(i wasnt driving)
my cousin often pulled the handbrake on dirt roads, my dad has accidentally sorta drifted my moms big V8 truck.

A quick question, is it possible, for a car to start accelerating faster from 30-80 than 0-30? my cuz's car he would put his foot in it, and when it got to high second or low third, it would sorta boost, and we would be up to 80 in no time.

If you are 14 there is no way you are even a decent driver. I drove before I was 16 on a number of occasions and I don't really feel I knew what I was doing until I was 18...that's 2 years of experience. Even now I feel like I don't have enough experience.

I think, it only takes one or 2 driving experiences to learn to drive the car, I can already drive my car competently and i am only 14
In one or two driving experiences, you can learn that your hands go on the steering wheel and your feet go on the pedals. Some people don't even learn that quickly. And note that I didn't mention which pedals your feet go on.
If you are 14 there is no way you are even a decent driver. I drove before I was 16 on a number of occasions and I don't really feel I knew what I was doing until I was 18...that's 2 years of experience. Even now I feel like I don't have enough experience.
Quoted for truth, and +rep.

Even now, I don't feel like I have enough experience, and I've been driving legally longer than Joey has been alive.

That's all true, I remember saying something to my dad a while back, I can't remember what I said but I can remember his reply, "how long have you been driving? A few years that's all, you don't really know anything yet so don't let the idea that your good creep into your head. There's no substitute for experience and even people who've driven 30 or 40 years make mistakes." And you know what, he was right. Ofcourse I've got a couple more years expereince now, and now I'm as good a driver as anyo..... I wish.

Learning to steer a car, change gear and to start and stop without stalling does not make you a good driver.

did i say I was a good driver? I said I can drive the car competently, not saying I could handle traffic, or normal roads yet, but operating the car is easy. Everyone makes mistakes, and especially when you're a begginng driver/ driving illegally, you can't think you know, because confidence leads to carelessness, and that could kill someone. Even I know that anything short of moving the car different places around my house is about as far as I could go by myself, and that track time is what I should be doing if I want to pursue my dream of drifting.

I wouldn't mind betting that most of the current F1, or perhaps even most professional racing drivers, were better drivers at 14 than I am now. And that includes in terms of situational awarenes, keeping calm in a difficult situation, and processing information fast enough to keep ahead of the workload.

Granted, they are the extreme minority.

As for accelerating faster above 30 than below, I can't think of any cases in road cars where that is actually true, though if it does happen, then I'd put my money on it being most common in supercars and high powered turbocharged or supercharged cars.

In racing cars, I'd bet things like NASCARs and probably some Le Mans cars have very tall first gears, putting them out of the power band and therefore out of their performance sweetspot at speeds below 30, so they might accelerate better at higher speeds. Supercars might suffer a similar thing... they might have very tall first gears and highly tuned engines which bog down when trying to get away from the line, so they might pull more accelerative G once they go past a particular speed. Lamborghini recommended not dumping the clutch in the Countach and Diablo when performing an emergency start, because the clutch could not cope with the forces of such action. This possibly meant that they also did better once past about 20 or 30mph.

I mention turbocharged and supercharged cars because a few modern manufacturers limit the torque that their cars produce in when in 1st and perhaps 2nd gear, usually to protect the drivetrain from damage but sometimes also to make the car more driveable. I suppose this could also potentially make a car accelerate harder in a higher gear than a lower one, perhaps.

I like Shadow Drifters view on this matter.

Although..... I just wish I had a beater wanna be rally car for all the miles of uninhabited dirt roads behind my house. Either way its dangerous in uncontrolled environments and I wouldn't have the cajones to even whip down those roads.

We can all dream right!? lol

I like Shadow Drifters view on this matter.

Although..... I just wish I had a beater wanna be rally car for all the miles of uninhabited dirt roads behind my house. Either way its dangerous in uncontrolled environments and I wouldn't have the cajones to even whip down those roads.

We can all dream right!? lol

and that is why we have games to push it to the limit.

and that is why we have games to push it to the limit.

Yes, true.

But there is a huge difference in pushing a real car on dirt roads and a rally car in GT4... the ping of the rocks off the underbody, the noise the dirt makes, the joy of sliding trough every corner.

Its simply magic. That aside I need a new beater to visit some favorite roads. Roads in the middle of nowhere with no driveways and clear corners, so only I'm in danger.

Glad to see most people are speaking sense in here and giving proper advice. Unlike some certain members a while ago that defended their street drifting... rsmith, that fool

Well at the moment I have a 95' Jeep wrangler....damn that high center of gravity. I guess the only rallying ill be doing is in a straight line.

I have an '89 240sx hatchback, coilovers, RUCAs, toearms, other various supension item, etc... I started drifting in the game before in real life. I feel that if I had played the game and learned how to drift in IT first, it would've taken me alot longer to learn how to drift in real life.

You get the basics with the game, then in real life you adapt to things such as G-Forces, Fear, and things breaking... haha!

BTW, I have this...
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e110/jamesnater/f192a47f.jpg

Drifting in game

Drifting in Real Life
l_e95d436a7fa240d542eeb196485f412c.jpg

i bought my 200sx in feburay. (before i even played gt4 i only got it a couple of weeks haha)

the fist time i drove it i spun it not even trying to drift, she is a very sensitve beast. more so than in the game in my opion.

since then i got more used to it and have had a few little drifty experences but i tend to avoid it tryes aint the cheapest thing and id rather not have a crash to.

i bought the game to see what the drifting is like in it. and tbh its not like i expected, its a lot harder to get steped out than in real life.

if you are going to do it in real life use a privet area and pratice. rember its not a game if you crash its expensive and very dangerious. (and start with a cheap RWD car and take your time)

i bought my 200sx in feburay. (before i even played gt4 i only got it a couple of weeks haha)

the fist time i drove it i spun it not even trying to drift, she is a very sensitve beast. more so than in the game in my opion.

since then i got more used to it and have had a few little drifty experences but i tend to avoid it tryes aint the cheapest thing and id rather not have a crash to.

i bought the game to see what the drifting is like in it. and tbh its not like i expected, its a lot harder to get steped out than in real life.

if you are going to do it in real life use a privet area and pratice. rember its not a game if you crash its expensive and very dangerious. (and start with a cheap RWD car and take your time)

Do it in a legal place. And do it with cheap tires in the rain.

And please remember that AUP you signed when you joined... do not use TXT speak or short hand english. Type the actual words please, it will not be tolerated much around here.

I actually drift around in my truck. its a 98 ranger and it can actually handle Cali streets pretty good. but now that I'm in texas it really sucks, the roads are just dif.

I actually drift around in my truck. its a 98 ranger and it can actually handle Cali streets pretty good. but now that I'm in texas it really sucks, the roads are just dif.

Drifting in truck= Wrong
Drifting on streets in a Truck= Wrong
Reasons why, I believe that Trucks can easily flip over do to the weight transfer but hey its your truck.

Drifting in truck= Wrong
Drifting on streets in a Truck= Wrong
Reasons why, I believe that Trucks can easily flip over do to the weight transfer but hey its your truck.

not true. a 2wd truck can drift fairly well, given the lack of weight of the rear. A good driver can make the most of any vehicle. I've had a drifting competition one winter against my buddy for fun. He's got a Nissan S13 240sx, and the funny part was, I was driving my 4wd Ford Bronco II...on 31" mud tires no less. And while drifting in the snow in an old parking lot is far from track day drifting in drift-prepped cars, it's still drifting...

not true. a 2wd truck can drift fairly well, given the lack of weight of the rear. A good driver can make the most of any vehicle. I've had a drifting competition one winter against my buddy for fun. He's got a Nissan S13 240sx, and the funny part was, I was driving my 4wd Ford Bronco II...on 31" mud tires no less. And while drifting in the snow in an old parking lot is far from track day drifting in drift-prepped cars, it's still drifting...

First off, that's a big negative Ghost Writer. What you were doing was an uncontrolled slide in the snow. This is why I contest parking lot drifting, it shows that the vehicle can be sideways, but it doesn't insight any form of control. You may have been sideways, but what you were doing was not drifting, that's like saying a Dodge Neon sliding around in the snow is drifting. Trust me, I'm a good driver, a professional driver in fact, there's nothing that your 4wd Bronco can do in regards to drifting, especially with those 31" swampers, that a 240sx isn't capable of.

Secondly, to say that it was a drifting competition held in the snow is simply moot, for lack of a better word, and completely hashed. That's like saying "Hey, my Bronco is better at rock climbing than a BMW 325i is." You were sliding around in the snow! Where's the challenge in that? Okay, so you mean to tell me that an AWD vehicle had better dynamic control than a RWD vehicle in inclimate weather? WOW! That's really a special statement, truly special indeed.

Lastly, why don't you try entering an amateur drifting competition with your friend once in a while? I will guarantee that out of 30-50 vehicles that typically enter a drifting competition, less than 15 percent of those vehicles are actually "drift-prepped" whatever that's supposed to mean. If you're referring to springs, shocks, reinforcement, limited slip differential and power, then you need to rethink the actual sport of drifting, your views on it are truly askew.

-Stig

Notice that Drifting in Snow isn't really the actual sport of drifting but Rallying. Though you were getting sideways like the original principal but not the real principal of drifting. I was in drifting with my brother in a RWD 94 Tacoma in a neighborhood corner, but that was when I was a kid and only knew about Rally.

As for accelerating faster above 30 than below, I can't think of any cases in road cars where that is actually true, though if it does happen, then I'd put my money on it being most common in supercars and high powered turbocharged or supercharged cars.

Actually automatic cars just switch to a lower gear possible when you punch the gas, :) thats why in car and driver the manul cars take longer than the automtics. Like if im driving my parents grand prix gt you can hit this gay before your even moving the motor will go to about 3,000 rpm, then will take off like a rocket, but if im driving the civic si, you have to realese the clutch get it moving then can punch the gas but once you hit 3,500 rpm thing just takes off like a rocket.

You can drift trucks, I've gotten my Blazer sideways quite a few times back in my more reckless days.

Anyone know of any drift schools in the north east? say like... north eastern Pennsylvania... lmao

I dont think that Pocono Raceway has any drift days do they? I dont even think they have an infeild track....

Back