Realistic horsepower levels

Are you satisfied with the current hp depictions?

• Total voters
I see the patch fixing that wild speed, that is clearly impossible. But considering tires do not degrade and disintegrate I guess might be passable but 409 mph is nonsense still. Super cars generate a good bit of downforce, so it looks like the aero coefficients are either off or not working. That Viper should have hit an aerodynamic wall near 250mph and should be night uncontrollable at such speeds. Ah well not like we need everything perfectly realistic, I fully hope the S7 is correctly represented in this game, no more swapped weight balance I hope and correct gearing.

I see the patch fixing that wild speed, that is clearly impossible. But considering tires do not degrade and disintegrate I guess might be passable but 409 mph is nonsense still. Super cars generate a good bit of downforce, so it looks like the aero coefficients are either off or not working. That Viper should have hit an aerodynamic wall near 250mph and should be night uncontrollable at such speeds. Ah well not like we need everything perfectly realistic, I fully hope the S7 is correctly represented in this game, no more swapped weight balance I hope and correct gearing.
Realistically, I see this being the patch along with the sounds. I just hope they keep the hp levels the way they are.

I think the most I add to a car is between 20 to 50HP, so this doesn't matter to me. I may add more in very rare cases, only when I feel the car can handle a bit more power and still maintain a good balance.

320-380HP is the magic number for me, depending on the car. I personally find it more fun going round the track as efficiently as possible.

I enjoy cars with much more power than that too, as long as it's their stock power.

Don't like the sidepipes. I hope there are options other than sidepipes...:(

Thats going to depend on the sound. If i didnt have side pipes on the '71 Mach 1, it wouldnt have that race car exhaust sound (which sounded like the Ford GT anyway).

Thats going to depend on the aound. If i didnt have side pipes on the '71 Mach 1, it wouldnt have that race car exhaust sound (which sounded like the Ford GT anyway).
I like side-exit exhaust, just not side pipes (two different things). But, if that's the only option for max horsepower, then I'll use it.

I think the thread should have been titled "In-depth Tuning". Because i've always dreamed of being able to change compression ratios, drop in specific cams with different valve lift durations, adjusting timing, individual stroker kits randing even down 100cc increments, etc. A gearhead's dream.

Because let's face it, depending on how much money you put into an engine, it'll be producing serious power. I should be able to produce 1200 hp with an RB26 if i wanted to aswell. Although it'd be better if it were capped to a specific level for individual cars, as is in GT5. HOWEVER, as i've mentioned; in-depth tuning in combination with time invested into the tuning, and experience, oughta net you a very nice power result. For example, the 1000 hp mark should be very easy with something such as a Viper's massive 8-8.3L V10. HOWEVER, a 2JZ or an RB26. With those types of engines, you'd have to do a lot more tinkering in-game in the tuning menu to get extreme power results. To me, that would only be fair. And not to mention a HELL of a lot of fun. A 1200 hp Skyline GTR or MKIV Supra. Behaving as they should with such power. Rough idle, more difficult to drive in a conservative manner. But an absolute monstrosity once you open the throttle, and open up that car.

Would make me absolutely giddy to no end. That's my dream vision for GT's tuning. Purchasing a bunch of parts and saying "yeah, i got more power out of my car, D'UUUUH!" Isn't exactly the most fun thing to do. BUT , keep in mind, the in-depth tuning really pays off mainly with the lower displacing engines. Because of what i said earlier.

It would be beautiful.

I think the thread should have been titled "In-depth Tuning". Because i've always dreamed of being able to change compression ratios, drop in specific cams with different valve lift durations, adjusting timing, individual stroker kits randing even down 100cc increments, etc. A gearhead's dream.

Because let's face it, depending on how much money you put into an engine, it'll be producing serious power. I should be able to produce 1200 hp with an RB26 if i wanted to aswell. Although it'd be better if it were capped to a specific level for individual cars, as is in GT5. HOWEVER, as i've mentioned; in-depth tuning in combination with time invested into the tuning, and experience, oughta net you a very nice power result. For example, the 1000 hp mark should be very easy with something such as a Viper's massive 8-8.3L V10. HOWEVER, a 2JZ or an RB26. With those types of engines, you'd have to do a lot more tinkering in-game in the tuning menu to get extreme power results. To me, that would only be fair. And not to mention a HELL of a lot of fun. A 1200 hp Skyline GTR or MKIV Supra. Behaving as they should with such power. Rough idle, more difficult to drive in a conservative manner. But an absolute monstrosity once you open the throttle, and open up that car.

Would make me absolutely giddy to no end. That's my dream vision for GT's tuning. Purchasing a bunch of parts and saying "yeah, i got more power out of my car, D'UUUUH!" Isn't exactly the most fun thing to do. BUT , keep in mind, the in-depth tuning really pays off mainly with the lower displacing engines. Because of what i said earlier.

It would be beautiful.

kaz' wants to keep it simple for younger Generation.

Last edited:
Good to see nearly 1,100BHP out of that GT-R compared to 925BHP (not broken in) on GT5. Can't wait to see what the Scoobys can do now. Or the Volvo 240. I'd love to see a 400BHP Suzuki Swift. I had such fun in GT5 with that car with only 315BHP.

It would be beautiful.
That was beautiful :')

kam wants to keep it simple for younger Generation.
But I'm going to have to agree with bOUNCED. Kaz wants to keep it simple for the casual players. HOWEVER, there is a "hardcore mode" I hope this would apply to the tuning as well. In that case there's no reason for the tuning not to be as in dept as you're asking it to be.
This game is a simulator and that title is stressed by PD themselves. We need to ask how much of that experience we're willing to forfeit so the casuals can just pick up and play. With Drive club coming out, I don't think there would be a big issue with PD going a but more in dept with the experience.

I would really like to see how much power you can put into a Supra, R32 and so on.
Maybe someone already posted a screenshot? It's hard to keep track with all those new threads.

I would really like to see how much power you can put into a Supra, R32 and so on.
Maybe someone already posted a screenshot? It's hard to keep track with all those new threads.
Nope. Nothing yet. Apparently it's very difficult to earn money in the game.

Aren't there any aero options for the GT-R? front splitter, skirt etc?

There probably are some because we had some in gt5 as well. IT'S nice to see that we're atleast able to remove the wing

Your avatar looks like a man-child next to the GT-R... Sure its a pretty big car but...

Have you seen a GT-R IRL? Its pretty big indeed for a Sports Car, and extremely long aswell.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm eager to see if the tuning effects are more realistic in GT6.
In GT5 all engine tuning (not turbo and supercharger) worked as a simple torque multiplier across the rev range, so you'd end up with NA engines putting out 150 HP/L and still having turbodiesel torque curves.

Or perhaps a re-evaluation of the Turbo kit availability for race cars. I mean, do you really expect to gain peak power from putting a low RPM turbo kit on a Group B rally car?

And finally, get rid of tuning parts that are so obviously misplaced.
Sport ECUs and Sports catalytic converters on a 40's WWII jeep, really?

I know PD well enough to be 99% certain that none of the above mentioned issuses will be adressed for GT6.

I'm eager to see if the tuning effects are more realistic in GT6.
In GT5 all engine tuning (not turbo and supercharger) worked as a simple torque multiplier across the rev range, so you'd end up with NA engines putting out 150 HP/L and still having turbodiesel torque curves.

Or perhaps a re-evaluation of the Turbo kit availability for race cars. I mean, do you really expect to gain peak power from putting a low RPM turbo kit on a Group B rally car?

And finally, get rid of tuning parts that are so obviously misplaced.
Sport ECUs and Sports catalytic converters on a 40's WWII jeep, really?

I know PD well enough to be 99% certain that none of the above mentioned issuses will be adressed for GT6.
The whole system needs an overhaul. I'm confident they've taken great strides in improving it.

Have you seen a GT-R IRL? Its pretty big indeed for a Sports Car, and extremely long aswell.
Yep, driven it too. But that pic in particular makes the avatar look 5' at best... The others I've seen look ok though, to me anyway.

That would be cool and I've often hopped for that allow with it changing the pov. The avatars in car are quite scrawny. Like malnourished children, not slim adults.
"malnourished children" :lol:
But yeah, that would be a really cool feature. It adds another level of customization.

I think the most I add to a car is between 20 to 50HP, so this doesn't matter to me. I may add more in very rare cases, only when I feel the car can handle a bit more power and still maintain a good balance.

320-380HP is the magic number for me, depending on the car. I personally find it more fun going round the track as efficiently as possible.

I enjoy cars with much more power than that too, as long as it's their stock power.

I don't often add gobs of horsepower either. A (street) car won't be useful around the track with 700 horse and the abysmal aerodynamic options that Gran Turismo offers. However, if I do decide to make something with gobs of power, it should be able to achieve realistic power levels.

Also, for whoever mentioned power curves earlier... yeah that's all a mess too.

PD should at least add higher "stage" kits and builds so we can achieve these higher hp levels. It would be a quick fix, but not a proper one. At least it would satisfy some people without changing anything big. And the people that don't want to run it don't have to. And in the future hopefully they can alter their physics model to represent having to much HP, so you have that battle between usable HP and what you can't get to the ground.

To be honest I can understand why you can't build many 1000hp+ cars, Gran Turismo is more of a racing game than a car personalisation/customization game, and there aren't many practical race applications for 1000hp+ road cars without fully rebuilt chasses (chassises?).

An R34 with a lip kit and 1100bhp isn't going to be much good for professional circuit racing, where regulations, driveability etc. are important.

Back