Realistic horsepower levels

Are you satisfied with the current hp depictions?

• Total voters
PD should at least add higher "stage" kits and builds so we can achieve these higher hp levels. It would be a quick fix, but not a proper one. At least it would satisfy some people without changing anything big. And the people that don't want to run it don't have to. And in the future hopefully they can alter their physics model to represent having to much HP, so you have that battle between usable HP and what you can't get to the ground.
I agree. As stated before, it's possible to add crazy horsepower to a lot of cars but the thing is, the physics model should have to make us tune more as the hp levels increase to be able to put all that power down. In my opinion, this is the fun part. However, many will disagree. If someone wants to take advantage of the realistic hp levels, I say let them bolt on all the top parts and build a 1k hp civic but they'll have to work and put time into tuning to be able to compete on the track and on the strip online.

To be honest I can understand why you can't build many 1000hp+ cars, Gran Turismo is more of a racing game than a car personalisation/customization game, and there aren't many practical race applications for 1000hp+ road cars without fully rebuilt chasses (chassises?).

An R34 with a lip kit and 1100bhp isn't going to be much good for professional circuit racing, where regulations, driveability etc. are important.
I see what you're saying, but there is a drag racing mode in the game and those hp levels aren't all that uncommon in drag racing. I think it should be up to the user to decide what they can handle. Sure having a thousand hp car is cool but it won't perform on the circuit, therefore the user will know to de-tune it to a realistic level for whatever style the car will be used in. It's all relative in my opinion.

Personally, I would add more of the simulation style tuning. Adjusting the ignition, cam timing, A/FR, boost.. Compound charging, selecting between 4-2-1 manifold and 4-1 manifold..

To be honest I can understand why you can't build many 1000hp+ cars, Gran Turismo is more of a racing game than a car personalisation/customization game, and there aren't many practical race applications for 1000hp+ road cars without fully rebuilt chasses (chassises?).

An R34 with a lip kit and 1100bhp isn't going to be much good for professional circuit racing, where regulations, driveability etc. are important.

You say that like Gran Turismo already adheres to the rest of those rules. The most regulating we get in-game is power-to-weight and tire compound. MAYBE drivetrain if we're lucky.

As a whole, Gran Turismo is... lacking. Then again, for a lot of these games, customization and tuning seems to be on the back burner which is something I personally don't understand.

He has a point but like I said it's all relative. Obviously a 1200hp el camino would be virtually useless on a circuit.
Solution: tune it to a reasonable level or just stick to drag racing.
It all has to do with what the cars purpose is.

You say that like Gran Turismo already adheres to the rest of those rules. The most regulating we get in-game is power-to-weight and tire compound. MAYBE drivetrain if we're lucky.

As a whole, Gran Turismo is... lacking. Then again, for a lot of these games, customization and tuning seems to be on the back burner which is something I personally don't understand.
He has a point but like I said it's all relative. Obviously a 1200hp el camino would be virtually useless on a circuit.
Solution: tune it to a reasonable level or just stick to drag racing.
It all has to do with what the cars purpose is.

I agree with both statements, and I think that PD are trying to push people in the direction of sensible track cars rather than the 'maxed out everything racing soft' cars that you see on youtube videos, and I agree that it's a bit silly seeing as there are usually hardly any regs./hardly any grid starts in the career mode races, but new physics/more weather and time affected tracks/more of a focus on race cars suggest that it's the direction they want to take GT in.

I agree with both statements, and I think that PD are trying to push people in the direction of sensible track cars rather than the 'maxed out everything racing soft' cars that you see on youtube videos, and I agree that it's a bit silly seeing as there are usually hardly any regs./hardly any grid starts in the career mode races, but new physics/more weather and time affected tracks/more of a focus on race cars suggest that it's the direction they want to take GT in.
I see what you're saying and you have a good point but remember, they have implemented a dedicated drag racing mode with a legitimate drag strip and light tree. If you Had made that statement during the GT4 to 5 transition, it would've made more sense because they did drop the drag strip.

I see what you're saying and you have a good point but remember, they have implemented a dedicated drag racing mode with a legitimate drag strip and light tree. If you Had made that statement during the GT4 to 5 transition, it would've made more sense because they did drop the drag strip.

Wait, there's a dedicated drag racing mode with legit drag strip and tree in GT6?

I think we're just forgetting that PD hasn't really changed the tuning system in ages. Numbers that were high back then aren't high anymore. I don't think PD is pushing anything, they just aren't with the times.

****ing lovely. Well we can probably expect a few more Viper '13 style power outputs then.
Isn't it??:D and let's hope we already are! The GTR is pushing 1100hp (before break-in) and the Nova SS is up there too! I just don't want it to be as easy as bolting on all the parts though. They have to make tuning to put that power down efficiently a necessity.

Don't count your eggs before they're in your basket now. :)
Shhh!! Don't spoil our fun:lol:

I think we're just forgetting that PD hasn't really changed the tuning system in ages. Numbers that were high back then aren't high anymore. I don't think PD is pushing anything, they just aren't with the times.
I have a feeling that they've gotten the memo. These new hp numbers are very encouraging.

Edit: They do have some serious catching up to do in terms of car selection though...

Last edited:
You sure? Did PD say that anywhere?
You can clearly see that it is in the Vision GT trailer, hay stacks & all..& It hasnt been confirmed that a drag strip has been included by players with the game already. Im quite sure PD would have made it prominent if there was such a course, hopefully DLC

Cars are 100% reliable in computer games, meanwhile the other day watching drag racing on TV, maybe 25% of cars break in just seconds.

I'm quite okay with max tuned civics lapping slower than GT500 cars thx.

I'm fine with the way HP currently is. I'd like it if they added larger HP amounts only if it affects engine wear.

Challenge accepted.
Yeah. There has to be some kind of risk from putting all that strain on the motor. They should make us service the car more often in GT auto (or it'll blow up at the track) and have us tune it precisely so we can use the power efficiently and put as little strain on the motor as possible.

kaz' wants to keep it simple for younger Generation.

Yeah, but... i also came up with an idea where tuning is done the same way, as we've been doing all along. Although it wouldn't be nearly as intuitive or detailed. But, you'd still see results.

ALSO.

Whoever uploaded that video with the Viper... oh, my giddy aunt. It sounds like GARBAGE. And you can STILL hear that straight-cut gear-type sound from the custom transmission. It sounds horrendous. Polyphony must fix the sounds. Many American cars, such as the C6 vettes sounded like trumpets in GT5. That Viper sounds like a wind-up car. Disastrous...

And btw, how on Earth did you get your hands on the game? You a reviewer?

Back