Really good to do maintenance of servers on a Saturday!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mattv81
  • 36 comments
  • 4,033 views
Messages
426
Cheers Polyphony! Good bit of planning you did there. Why can't you do this on a week day?
 
I highly doubt this was planned. Most likely a server failed.
 
Gamer A: "Game is buggy! Why they don't fix it?" 👎

Gamer A: "Server down for maintenance? This is unacceptable!" 👎

:confused:
 
Developer C: We'll fix it at an obscure time so as to affect the least number of people.

Developer (P)D: We'll fix it at prime European time on a weekend.

Having said that, it is most like a failure of some sort so waiting wasn't an option.
 
Weekday, weekend, no difference its just another day buddy. I work on the weekends and not on the weekdays so what you are trying to imply here is some failed logic. It's okay though, not everything goes your way in life, you will learn this sometime.
 
Cheers Polyphony! Good bit of planning you did there. Why can't you do this on a week day?

Hello

I live in a different part of the world than you. In fact, I'm not the only one.
 
Seems like somebody hacked attacked the server then...
 
Sometimes I scribble addresses too sloppy when I jot 'em.
 
^ It's 11am sunday morning here...
 
If it's failed hardware or server trouble, shame on them. Double up and fail over, cluster or die.

If it's planned, shame on them, weekend? majority of people are affected.

code issue that simply can't wait to be sorted? Less shame on them, it's tough to cover every base.

In short, there are many number of reasons for these "maint" sessions, wait till they fess up on what it really was before heating up the iron brand :)

Although to be fair, this GT5 feels like an EA alpha release...aww bugger, couldn't help myself...soz :(
 
I noticed that your profile shows your drivers and favorite cars now.
 
If it's failed hardware or server trouble, shame on them.

If it is hardware failure, shame on PD? That makes no sense... It's not like you can control when something fails. Hardware failures are usually out of the hands of the user.
 
Lol, its okay, I do miss seeing my gt5 buddylist on my gt-life though :P
 
This is a serious lack of planning on their part. Hardware should have redundancy. Data should have backups. More information would be nice, but that's never been a strength of theirs. I will be shocked if they actually give us a plausible excuse.

Perhaps with all the birthday "feature" use, they are running out of cars to deliver.:)
 
Its none of those things!

I have just noticed i dont have to set my b-spec drivers to online, they now show up in my profile.

This maintenance is easily for using b-spec through a web browser (cant remember the proper name for it)
 
This is a serious lack of planning on their part. Hardware should have redundancy. Data should have backups. More information would be nice, but that's never been a strength of theirs. I will be shocked if they actually give us a plausible excuse.

Perhaps with all the birthday "feature" use, they are running out of cars to deliver.:)

Not sure if its that or not, but I know I've lost 4 cars I was gifting to my brother and a buddy. It's just going to mean more toil. :grumpy:

Its none of those things!

I have just noticed i dont have to set my b-spec drivers to online, they now show up in my profile.

This maintenance is easily for using b-spec through a web browser (cant remember the proper name for it)

Gran Turismo Anywhere (or so I was told earlier this week).

That will at least make the B-Spec grinding a lot easier.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Gran Turismo Anywhere (or so I was told earlier this week).

That will at least make the B-Spec grinding a lot easier.

Thats it !

Seems like it will be here very shortly :)
 
Ohhh man I hope this "Gran Turismo Anywhere" thing shapes up to be as cool as I hope it could be! ;)
 
If it is hardware failure, shame on PD? That makes no sense... It's not like you can control when something fails. Hardware failures are usually out of the hands of the user.

Yes - shame on them. With proper hardware deployment redundant equipment negates th effect of any hardware failure - or do youthink eBay, Google and Hotmail each just run on 1 server that has been up and running 11 years straight?

BTW, hopefully this little outage helps show all those morons calling for a "save the games in the cloud" option are really being foolhardy.

Why would you entrust YOUR data to someone else? they have ZERO incentive to keep it safe - and when the cloud hickups your access is gone.
 
Bad timing? Probably. Fingers crossed they're doing something really cool though!
 
Yes - shame on them. With proper hardware deployment redundant equipment negates th effect of any hardware failure - or do youthink eBay, Google and Hotmail each just run on 1 server that has been up and running 11 years straight?

BTW, hopefully this little outage helps show all those morons calling for a "save the games in the cloud" option are really being foolhardy.

Why would you entrust YOUR data to someone else? they have ZERO incentive to keep it safe - and when the cloud hickups your access is gone.

Server problems doesn't mean they've lost any data. I'm sure if they were storing saves they'd have backups.
 
Server problems doesn't mean they've lost any data. I'm sure if they were storing saves they'd have backups.

Again, that is not the point.

The point is you would not be able to play if they had a problem or youhad an internet conneciotn issue.

Again - why would you entrust your data to someone else? They have ZERO interest in keeping it safe or available.

In fact, the agreement you accept will TELL you its too bad if they lose it or you cant get to it.
 
Again, that is not the point.

The point is you would not be able to play if they had a problem or youhad an internet conneciotn issue.

Again - why would you entrust your data to someone else? They have ZERO interest in keeping it safe or available.

In fact, the agreement you accept will TELL you its too bad if they lose it or you cant get to it.

...and my point was that even if they had a server issue and you couldn't access your (already backup, since you'd have a hard copy too) save, then you'd still be able to get it back eventually, and YLOD'ing wouldn't be anywhere near as terrifying as it is right now.
 
...and my point was that even if they had a server issue and you couldn't access your (already backup, since you'd have a hard copy too) save, then you'd still be able to get it back eventually, and YLOD'ing wouldn't be anywhere near as terrifying as it is right now.

Again - you dont get the point.

Read my comments again. I was refering o the fools who are ASKING for an 'in the cloud" stoarge model of their game saves to "prevent cheating".

Such a model would preclude you from keeping a copy of the save and playing while NOT connected to "the cloud" and as such you would be SOL if they went offline, had server issues or your dog ate your broadband modem.

And again, YOU will agree to the terms of the service which I guarnatee youwill include a clause that says specifically they will neither warrant nor guarantee you access to your data. They will have no obligaiotn to either make backups or restore your data in the event of some issue.

While they woul dtake backups and "trye there best" to keep the service up and your datat safe, they will be under no obligatio to do so.

IOW - they dont care.

The same way it happens that they delete your datat when you send your PS3 in for service - they dont care.

What part of this reality do you fail to understand?
 
Again - you dont get the point.

Read my comments again. I was refering o the fools who are ASKING for an 'in the cloud" stoarge model of their game saves to "prevent cheating".

Such a model would preclude you from keeping a copy of the save and playing while NOT connected to "the cloud" and as such you would be SOL if they went offline, had server issues or your dog ate your broadband modem.

And again, YOU will agree to the terms of the service which I guarnatee youwill include a clause that says specifically they will neither warrant nor guarantee you access to your data. They will have no obligaiotn to either make backups or restore your data in the event of some issue.

While they woul dtake backups and "trye there best" to keep the service up and your datat safe, they will be under no obligatio to do so.

IOW - they dont care.

The same way it happens that they delete your datat when you send your PS3 in for service - they dont care.

What part of this reality do you fail to understand?

I apologize. I was being logical and assuming that cloud saves would be in addition to local, because being the only existing copy of your progress would be utterly ridiculous and would never happen. What happens to people without an internet connection? I suppose in your world we're all connected 24/7 and so Sony/PD would obviously decide that the game data of millions of gamers should be kept solely on their servers and nowhere else. Gee, I couldn't possibly be more sorry if I tried.

...and sure, they're under no obligation (unless it was a paid service, as some people are suggesting it should be) but they're not freaking stupid. They know full well that if they lost a bunch of save data, (being the only existing copy in the world apparently) they'd get some incredibly bad press, news would spread that the system just doesn't work and people would stop using it. So yes, they would likely keep backups, not because they care, but because they're supplying a service. Keep up the pessimism though, it suits you.
 
the word "weekend" and "saturday" is only a myth in PD office
 
I apologize. I was being logical and assuming that cloud saves would be in addition to local, because being the only existing copy of your progress would be utterly ridiculous and would never happen. What happens to people without an internet connection? I suppose in your world we're all connected 24/7 and so Sony/PD would obviously decide that the game data of millions of gamers should be kept solely on their servers and nowhere else. Gee, I couldn't possibly be more sorry if I tried.

...and sure, they're under no obligation (unless it was a paid service, as some people are suggesting it should be) but they're not freaking stupid. They know full well that if they lost a bunch of save data, (being the only existing copy in the world apparently) they'd get some incredibly bad press, news would spread that the system just doesn't work and people would stop using it. So yes, they would likely keep backups, not because they care, but because they're supplying a service. Keep up the pessimism though, it suits you.

Just the reality of being in the IT world - its like beign a butcher, knowing how your meat is prepped is not made up for by the taste of a good Bar BQ.. :lol:
 
Back