Red Dead Redemption 2

• Thread starter RX-7_FD3S
  • 1,102 comments
Just received the RDR 2 guide. This game has a lot more secrets then I suspected. So I decided to only use the guide after my first playthrough of the story and then contemplate If I want to 100% the game.

Everytime Micah refers to Arthur as "cowpoke" or "black lung".

giphy.gif

Hate that guy so freakin much. :irked: :lol:

Just heading out into chapter 2 now. It is amazing how well Rockstar have done the trails and mud in this game. I have never played a game with this level of realism. So many strangers to meet, and clandestine back-room business operations to rob. This will be fun!

edit- And the baths....woman go away and let me relax. Ha!

I've noticed I get no loss from killing or looting bounty hunters. Which is nice. But haven't ruffled up any towns as much as I would like. I really want to enter the Fort.

The Fort is really tough. Not a ton of cover, so you're just eating bullets as they rain down on you.

I 🤬 hate the lasso in this game. Seems impossible to actually catch anything with it. :banghead:

I really really like the lasso. But it's range seems as much as a shotgun.

99% of the times I use the lasso is to tie up some stranger I bumped into while riding in cinematic mode. Usually the horse will avoid contact and sometimes even with slight contact nothing happens. But if I go head first into another horse/person, they will start to shoot at me. I get my lasso out, tie them up and leave them on the ground. This way my honor doesn't go down. ^^

It happened at least with 3 guys, I met them later on in the game somewhere else and they started calling me out, remembering my face.

I only kill strangers if I can't tie them up for some reason (like being out of range) or if I'm trying to avoid the lawmen and I'm in a hurry.

I'm on max honor and it's hard for me to see the bar go down ^^. I might do a reckless, homicidal play through just to see how far I can go. It seems to me that the honorable way is the best way to play (easiest?) but I have no point of comparison atm. The few times I've tried something crazy, bounties would go up pretty quickly.

I guess I'd have to be way more thoughtful about my actions if I went the dishonorable route. Which makes sense...

The Fort is really tough. Not a ton of cover, so you're just eating bullets as they rain down on you.

I sniped from a ledge across the way. I took out probably 6-9 guys before they started disappearing or respawning. I think if I take them out from the ledge, and attack from the front I would probably be alright. But I think I just didn't want to deal with it at the time lol. Even made a separate save for it haha.

I'm on max honor and it's hard for me to see the bar go down ^^. I might do a reckless, homicidal play through just to see how far I can go. It seems to me that the honorable way is the best way to play (easiest?) but I have no point of comparison atm. The few times I've tried something crazy, bounties would go up pretty quickly.

I guess I'd have to be way more thoughtful about my actions if I went the dishonorable route. Which makes sense...

I've seen in a video, it mentioned showing up with a new horse, and a new outfit that town had never seen, whatever crime you commit will become "unknown suspect" and while it doesn't bring your honor down much less, you will be easier to get away or kill less lawmen in the process.

99% of the times I use the lasso is to tie up some stranger I bumped into while riding in cinematic mode. Usually the horse will avoid contact and sometimes even with slight contact nothing happens. But if I go head first into another horse/person, they will start to shoot at me. I get my lasso out, tie them up and leave them on the ground. This way my honor doesn't go down. ^^

After getting into a shootout, I can confirm that killing lawmen doesn't bring down your honor, but if any of the locals join in on the shootout, you lose honor for killing them, but it seemed like a very minimal amount.

Best way in my opinion to get into a shootout is shooting straight into the air...I don't think you lose any honor for it, but everybody freaks out.

This game can get real frustrating at times. Misread or ignored inputs, your horse's AI or Arthur's AI getting suicidally confused, wanting to deal with a situation a certain way but that action is temporarily locked, having your actions misinterpreted by an oversensitive NPC, fighting with the lock-on because aiming control is still poor after adjusting it the best I could (I wish this game offered combination stick+motion aiming like Breath of the Wild)... :irked:

I also feel like you don't always get enough of a moral choice, which is off-putting with all the other opportunities you are given. Not as big of a deal, though -- it's a risk of encouraging players to define the morality of "their" Arthur. The number of things Rockstar has actually accounted for is nothing short of incredible.
How was I to know confronting Strauss would mean kicking him out of the damned gang? He's a dick, but we kill hundreds of people. :rolleyes:

Since it's a sidequest you can miss, I decided to reload my last save and skip turning in the quest, after giving away money to the woman I met last.

Anyway, saving your game regularly is the thing to do.

EDIT: I forgot to list how the game constantly dictates what weapons you'll carry, even swapping your inventory mid-mission and replacing what you brought, for no good reason! And it foists those favored weapons upon you, cluttering your inventory with extra guns you can't sell, and if you haven't modified or cleaned them, you're out of luck.

Last edited:
I've seen in a video, it mentioned showing up with a new horse, and a new outfit that town had never seen, whatever crime you commit will become "unknown suspect" and while it doesn't bring your honor down much less, you will be easier to get away or kill less lawmen in the process.

Yes, I'm aware of that. :)

After getting into a shootout, I can confirm that killing lawmen doesn't bring down your honor, but if any of the locals join in on the shootout, you lose honor for killing them, but it seemed like a very minimal amount.

Best way in my opinion to get into a shootout is shooting straight into the air...I don't think you lose any honor for it, but everybody freaks out.

I'll try shooting into the air more often. I don't even remember of that feature tbh. ^^

And I'll test killing a lawman today. Maybe the honor loss is linked to how much honor you have (?).

Finshed the main story and started on the epilogue yesterday.

As great as Arthur Morgan is. Feels real special being able to play as John Marston again, as well as having access to a big part of the original map. Brings back a lot of fond memories.

I'm now at 90% completion.

And I'm thinking 2 things:

Either that RDR2 is a bargin at 69€.
Or that 99% of other other games are rip offs.

Just as an example, from what I played of RDR2 and what I've watched of Fallout 76 Beta, I'd be willing to bet Red Dead Online ALONE (never mind the actual RDR2 game) will be better than Fallout 76. For the same price... Just ridiculous.

I'm now at 90% completion.

And I'm thinking 2 things:

Either that RDR2 is a bargin at 69€.
Or that 99% of other other games are rip offs.

Just as an example, from what I played of RDR2 and what I've watched of Fallout 76 Beta, I'd be willing to bet Red Dead Online ALONE (never mind the actual RDR2 game) will be better than Fallout 76. For the same price... Just ridiculous.
FO76 should have been FO4 Online. But now several years it was the afterthought they they thought could work. RDR is a product of a company who knows how to sell games by actually making games people want to play. But unfortunately, it took *8* years.

FO76 should have been FO4 Online. But now several years it was the afterthought they they thought could work. RDR is a product of a company who knows how to sell games by actually making games people want to play. But unfortunately, it took *8* years.

I don't know how it could be made in a shorter period of time tbh. The game is humungous and crazy detailed. The amount of source research alone must have taken over a year. Plus all the recordings, motion capture, etc.

I really don't mind the 8 years. They're probably the only studio able to do that...but they earned it with GTA V and GTAO.

I don't know how it could be made in a shorter period of time tbh. The game is humungous and crazy detailed. The amount of source research alone must have taken over a year. Plus all the recordings, motion capture, etc.

I really don't mind the 8 years. They're probably the only studio able to do that...but they earned it with GTA V and GTAO.
I'm not saying it was too long, just this level of game has a long turn around time in general and in between titles, it's a pretty long time. (We are fans of GT however) And they could have easily made this game RDR2 and RDR3 out of it if it were any other game developer. But with GTAVI evidently on the horizon in probably 4 years, the likelihood of my Great Depression gangster themed game might not ever happen lol.

I’d much rather them, them being R*, take their time & make sure everything is sweet before they release a game, no matter how long it takes.

Just coming to the end of chapter 5, thought i was near the end when I saw I was only 50% through the story.

Almost lost my black Arabian Horse when travelling from West Elizabeth back to the camp at Shady Belle. Some Lemoyne Raiders had blocked off a bridge I needed to cross. They started shooting me and in trying to escape I fell down a low cliff side while on my horse. Thankfully I had some horse reviver but I still had to defend from 6+ raiders coming from all directions. Thankfully I was able to escape with my horse.

I'm not saying it was too long, just this level of game has a long turn around time in general and in between titles, it's a pretty long time. (We are fans of GT however) And they could have easily made this game RDR2 and RDR3 out of it if it were any other game developer. But with GTAVI evidently on the horizon in probably 4 years, the likelihood of my Great Depression gangster themed game might not ever happen lol.
The wait doesn't seem as bad when they are working on multiple games at once to fill the gaps. (GTA, etc)

JAlmost lost my black Arabian Horse when travelling from West Elizabeth back to the camp at Shady Belle. Some Lemoyne Raiders had blocked off a bridge I needed to cross. They started shooting me and in trying to escape I fell down a low cliff side while on my horse. Thankfully I had some horse reviver but I still had to defend from 6+ raiders coming from all directions. Thankfully I was able to escape with my horse.
Only 6 or so? I'd have them all dropped by the time they could pull from the holster! They call me Pistol Pete round these here parts!

My honor is at minimum as I literally do everything you shouldn't. You get so much hate. People are constantly angry and looking for a fight. Shop keepers are very cheeky and not to mention the fact that you can't buy certain clothing if you have low honor!

I've tried my best to do a playthrough without dying and it is incredibly hard. Some missions are incredibly hard and take so long. Hiding in cover, no silly shooting and needing to be very tactical. I've kept a tally and I've died 5 times. I'm just past the mission where You take a ride with Rains Fall. I've spent so much time hunting and completing challenges. I've played the game every night for at least 2 hours since release and I'm STILL trying to hunt those god damn squirrels and rabbits properly

Only 6 or so? I'd have them all dropped by the time they could pull from the holster! They call me Pistol Pete round these here parts!

My honor is at minimum as I literally do everything you shouldn't. You get so much hate. People are constantly angry and looking for a fight. Shop keepers are very cheeky and not to mention the fact that you can't buy certain clothing if you have low honor!

I've tried my best to do a playthrough without dying and it is incredibly hard. Some missions are incredibly hard and take so long. Hiding in cover, no silly shooting and needing to be very tactical. I've kept a tally and I've died 5 times. I'm just past the mission where You take a ride with Rains Fall. I've spent so much time hunting and completing challenges. I've played the game every night for at least 2 hours since release and I'm STILL trying to hunt those god damn squirrels and rabbits properly

Equip your Varemint rifle while riding and shoot every rabbit and squirrel you see crossing your path or by the side of the road tracks. :D You'll get those suckers very fast. I recommend the pelt trinket as well to have a higher chance of getting perfect pelts out of them.

Hoping that Bully 2 is one of the games that's going to fill the gap between RDR2 and the next GTA.

Bully (or Canis Canem Edit as it was called here) was a great game, it'd be interesting to see what they did with a sequel.

... but honestly, after all these years building the amazing environment for RDR2, I'm still really hoping the next thing we get is another spin off of that. Not sure they could pull off another Undead nightmare, but something akin to the Episodes from Liberty city games would be awesome - sadly, they never did it with GTAV's incredible map so I'm not holding out any hope.

Equip your Varemint rifle while riding and shoot every rabbit and squirrel you see crossing your path or by the side of the road tracks. :D You'll get those suckers very fast. I recommend the pelt trinket as well to have a higher chance of getting perfect pelts out of them.
The varmint rifle still gives me good or poor. I've found unless it's headshots I'm SHHHHH out of luck! And the hassle of getting a flight feather for small game arrows is just too much!

and I'm STILL trying to hunt those god damn squirrels and rabbits properly

Squirrels are small animals so you need a small game arrow and a 3 star specimen or you won't get a perfect - pretty much all birds give them up so it shouldn't be difficult to get the feathers. Rabbits are moderate animals so you need to use the varmint rifle on a 3 star specimen to get a perfect, not sure if you actually need head shots or not so long as it dies on the first shot.

I kill squirrels with the varmint rifle and get perfect pelts. Never used the small arrows for them. Only for rats.

Maybe is the trinket that makes the difference.

I kill squirrels with the varmint rifle and get perfect pelts. Never used the small arrows for them. Only for rats.

Maybe is the trinket that makes the difference.

Yeah, I hadn't spotted that, the legendary buck antler trinket will increase the quality of parts from skinned animals.

Back