Red-Zone: Racing to the Next Level

Chapter 5 - ...And so it Begins​

- Tori - "...So, it has finally begun...her career..."

*some days after the race, September 11, 2019. School, Lunchtime. Classroom...*

- Zaira - "Hey girls, let's eat at the cafeteria, I'm kinda starving."
- Ayane - "Sure! I'm kind of hungry, too."
- Kimiko - "I'm just gonna watch you two eat, I've been gaining some weight lately."
- Zaira - "Eh? I heard they're serving tempura today."
- Kimiko - "!! ...darn it, not today..."
- Zaira - "So, you really like tempura. I knew it!!"
- Ayane - "You cannot resist...I know you can't..."
- Kimiko - "We'll just see about that. C'mon, let's go."
- Zaira - (notices Suichiro) "Oh, hey Suichiro."
- Suichiro - "Ah, Akawa-san."
- Zaira - "Going somewhere?"
- Suichiro - "To the cafeteria, I'll be eating lunch there."
- Zaira - "Is that so? We'll be going there, too. Why don't you come along with us?"
- Suichiro - "Okay."

*while going to the cafeteria, Ayane and Kimiko are walking in front, Zaira and Suichiro are behind.*

- Zaira - "I still can't forget about my first race back in Motorland. I'm so happy!"
- Suichiro - "So, do you want to race again?"
- Zaira - "You bet!"
- Suichiro - "Well, I'll be going over to Tsukuba Circuit next Sunday. I haven't found anything good back in Motorland, may it be cars or racing. Tsukuba is one of the most popular circuits in Japan, hopefully I'll finally get to see the good stuff."
- Zaira - "...Then it's decided! I'm going over at Tsukuba Circuit next Sunday, too. I want to race again!"
- Suichiro - "I see. Unlike you, I have yet to race in a closed circuit."
- Zaira - "Huh? You don't have any experience in circuit racing yet, Suichiro-san?"
- Suichiro - "Yes. I still can't use my car."
- Zaira - "Why?"
- Suichiro - "I'm......still working on it."
- Zaira - "Are you fixing something?"
- Suichiro - "Well, let's put it that way."
- Zaira - "I want to see your Silvia!"
- Suichiro - "Don't worry, you'll get to see it once it's ready."

- Ayane - "Uh, you guys..."
- Kimiko - "You're lagging behind."

- Zaira - "Oh, sorry about that."
- Suichiro - "Oh, we're sorry"

*at the cafeteria, Suichiro is two persons behind Zaira and Ayane at the line*

- Zaira - "So, what I've heard is right. They ARE serving tempura."
- Kimiko - "...!"
- Ayane - "It looks delicious."
- Kimiko - "...!!"
- Cafeteria Lady - "It also tastes delicious. It's our specialty today."
- Kimiko - "...!!!"

- Suichiro - *in mind* "I hope they still have some makisushi left......yoshi! Those are mine!"
- Zaira - "Oh, and some makisushi also, please."
- Cafeteria Lady - "You're lucky, these are the last ones for today!"
- Suichiro - "............................."

- Zaira, Ayane - "Itadakimasu!!"
- Ayane - "Hey Kimiko, you sure you're not gonna eat?"
- Kimiko - "I said it before. No means no."
- Zaira - "It's your loss."

Tones of sarcasm follow.

- Ayane - "......Wow, she's right, these tempura are delicious!"
- Zaira - "Really? ......Hey, they're not bad!"
- Ayane - "Try the special sauce."
- Zaira - "Even more delicious! Hey Kimiko, you should really try thi--"

- Kimiko - "That's it!! I'll be waiting upstairs at the classroom!" (walks away in a fast pace)

- Zaira, Ayane - "......Snrk, ahahahaha!!!"
- Suichiro - "?? What's the big deal?"
- Zaira - "Oh, that? Kimiko likes tempura. But she can't eat right now, she said she's been gaining some weight lately."
- Ayane - "That's because her favorite kind of food is deep-fried."
- Suichiro - "Oh I see, I get it. ...You know, I think you two should apologize."
- Ayane - "You think so? Hmmm, come to think of it, we did go a little too far."
- Zaira - "Yeah. Let's apologize later. ...?? What's the matter, Suichiro? You look a bit down."
- Suichiro - "?Huh? Oh, it's nothing."
- Zaira - "Hey, would you like to have my share of the makisushi? I think I ordered too much."
- Suichiro - "Uh, sure." *in mind* "I can have it? Yes! Thank you, Akawa-san!!"

- Ayane - (looks at Zaira and Suichiro) "......hmmm......"

*dismissal time, classroom*

- Zaira - "Hey, Suichiro-san. About that thing we were talking about earlier, in Tsukuba Circuit...? What are you writing??"
- Suichiro - "Oh, this? It's the math homework for tomorrow."
- Ayane - "Wow, I didn't know you were so diligent, Suichiro-san."
- Suichiro - (while writing)"I just want to reduce the things on my 'to-do' list. I still have to work on my car."
- Ayane - "Whoa! The answers are flowing through your hand! I've never seen someone work as fast as you!"
- Suichiro - "Really, Meguro-san?"
- Ayane - "Yeah! In that pace, you'll be able to finish that in thirty minutes, maybe less! You're amazing!"
- Suichiro - "It's nothing, sometimes I do extra work when I have free time. I hate doing nothing"
- Zaira - *in mind*"......Wow...he's amazing..."
- Suichiro - (still writing) "Akawa-san, you were asking something a while ago?"
- Zaira - "Oh, never mind that. It'd be better if I don't disturb you..."
- Suichiro - "No, it's okay."
- Zaira - "Well, uh...you'll be going to Tsukuba Circuit this coming Sunday, right?"
- Suichiro - "Yes, what about it?"
- Zaira - "What time will you be there?"
- Suichiro - "Probably around 10:30 or 11, same as last time."
- Zaira - "Oh, uh...I see."
- Kimiko - "Zaira, you're going to race again?"
- Zaira - "Well, yeah. I got hooked when I won my first race last Sunday. Circuit racing is not that bad."
- Kimiko - "Well, it's not bad to try something else once in a while. Good for you."
- Zaira - "Yeah. I hope to see your Silvia this Sunday, Suichiro-san."
- Suichiro - "Sorry, not this Sunday. There's a lot of work left before it's good to go."
- Zaira - "By the way, what variant is your Silvia? Spec S?"
- Suichiro - "It's a Spec R."
- Zaira - "Oh, the turbocharged one..."
- Suichiro - "Well, 165ps is kind of slow for me, so I opted for the one with more horsepower. Of course, I want something a little fast."
- Zaira - "You like turbocharged cars?"
- Suichiro - "Not really. If there was an NA car with about the same power level as my Silvia, say the 3000GT, then I would take the 3000GT. I prefer natural aspiration."
- Zaira - "Hey, we're the same! You also prefer NA cars!"

- Ayane - "Uhh, Zaira..."
- Zaira - "Nani?"
- Ayane - "You mind if me and Kimiko go ahead? It seems like you're busy."
- Kimiko - "I need to go home, Suichiro-san reminded me of the homework."
- Zaira - "All right, go on ahead. I'll stick around for a while. Take care, you two."
- Ayane, Kimiko - "See you tomorrow!"

Ayane and Kimiko left.

- Suichiro - (still writing) "You're not going with them?"
- Zaira - "Nah. It's a rare chance for me to talk with someone who has the same interests as mine."
- Suichiro - "You mean cars and racing?"
- Zaira - "Yeah. Besides, they don't mind. There's nothing bad in making new friends, is there? ......To tell you the truth, these interests came from my dad. Ever since I got hooked, I've always been finding for someone who has the same interest as I have. Boy or girl, I don't mind, as long as I have someone to talk with everything about cars."
- Suichiro - "And that person..."
- Zaira - "...Is you."
- Suichiro - "...What a surprise."
- Zaira - "*giggle* EVen though you said it in a somewhat serious tone, it sounds funny."
- Suichiro - (smiles faintly for a second)
- Zaira - "Oh yeah, where were we before they left? Right, you said you prefer NA over turbocharged cars, right?"
- Suichiro - "Yes."
- Zaira - "But why did you still choose the Spec-R Silvia?"
- Suichiro - "Well, it's not bad to try something else once in a while. (stops writing, closes notebook, looks at Zaira) Right?"
- Zaira - "Ehehe...yeah."
- Suichiro - "...Hmmm...based on what I keep hearing from you, why do I get the feeling that you hate turbochargers?"
- Zaira - "Because they give lag. The throttle response doesn't become smooth anymore; off the line and while cornering."
- Suichiro - "Oh, I see. You're talking about those large turbines that are designed for maximum speed, around 8 or 9 inches in diameter."
- Zaira - "Well, yeah...are turbochargers...always like that?"
- Suichiro - "Not always. Sometimes there are small, compact turbines, about 6 inches in diameter. That kind only gives mild boost and the additional power may not be that great, but the turbo lag is small. Sometimes the lag is so small that you won't even feel it."
- Zaira - "Really?"
- Suichiro - "Yes. Predictable power increase while maintaining low lag and high response, those compact turbines are well-suited for touge races and are perfect if you want heavy tuning for a cheap price."
- Zaira - "...Hmm..."
- Suichiro - "Planning to get one?"
- Zaira - "No, of course not! Never! My MR2 has a natural aspiration and I like to keep it that way."
- Suichiro - "I thought so."
- Zaira - *giggle* "That aside, I wish today was Saturday already. I want to race-- huh? Suichiro, you're done with the homework?"
- Suichiro - "Yes. Why?"
- Zaira - "Eeeehh?! You did that in less than 30 minutes?!"
- Suichiro - "Under 25 minutes, to be precise."
- Zaira - "Y-Y-You're not human! It would take us at least an hour to finish that homework!"
- Suichiro - "The given problems are not that hard."
- Zaira - "Yep, it's confirmed. You're not human. ......What are your secrets??"
- Suichiro - "Uh...secrets??"

*school grounds*

- Zaira - "I better head home now, I still have to do the math homework. Hey, you promised me you would teach me how to solve the problems."
- Suichiro - "But how?"
- Zaira - "Call me, of course! Here's my cell number."
- Suichiro - "Uh...okay."

Zaira and Suichiro exchanged cellphone numbers.

- Zaira - "I'll text you later, give me a call once you receive it."
- Suichiro - "Okay. Take care, Akawa-san."
- Zaira - "Take care!"

- Suichiro - "All that talk about wanting to race...she may not be aware of it, but her career, to become a professional racer, has already begun..."

next on Red-Zone : Chapter 6 - Developments

don't miss it!!

!! NEW SECTION - Character Profiles !!

Name: Zaira Akawa

Birthday: November 14

Cheerful and energetic girl, she is almost the same as her father in terms of attitude, particularly towards cars.

Loves : naturally-aspirated cars (especially her MR2), racing, hanging out with her friends, her parents

Hates : turbochargers, forced induction, races in where speed matters a lot more than skill

Last edited:
Takumi drove at 14, IRC. I see no reason why Zaira cannot drive. I must say, though, I find it particulary akward too :odd: Here in Argentina, you can take your registry at 17, with permission from your parents. But honestly, Japan is by far the most messed up country I have heard of. Just look at all the fan service in their animes. Not to mention hentai. :odd:

here in canada, at 16 you can have your license temporaire ( sorry i did not know the name in english) with that you can only drive with someone that got the real license, 1 year after permis temporaire you can do the real exam and have your license probatoire ( did not know the name in english) with your license probatoire you can drive alone but you only have 4 point, after 2 year you got your real licence and got 15 point.

n Japan, cars are driven on the left side of the road and have the driver's seat and steering wheel on their right side. The legal minimum age for driving is 18 years. Road signs and rules follow international standards, and most signs on major roads are in Japanese and English. Drinking and driving is strictly prohibited.
Thank you google.

let's just say she has a non-pro student license.., here in the Philippines, it's implemented.., I have a classmate who's 16, he has one..,

For the sake of the story, I'll go with the 15 year old driving around in a MR-2. :P

Great chapter, still keeping an eye on you-know-who. ;)

But... no pics? :(

Another great chapter, can't wait for more:).

And, who cares how old Zaira is. Just my $0.02.

Chapter 6 - Developments

- Suichiro - "All that talk about wanting to race...she may not be aware of it, but her career, to become a professional racer, has already begun..."

*that evening... conversation on the phone*

- Zaira - "Moshi moshi??"
- Suichiro - "Akawa-san."
- Zaira - "Ah, Suichiro-san. Good, you received my text message. Thanks for calling!"
- Suichiro - "Uh, you're welcome... uhm, but why do I have to call you? Instead of you calling me?"
- Zaira - "Does it matter?"
- Suichiro - "Well, not really..."
- Zaira - "*giggle* You're free, right? I'm sure you're lying in your bed, having nothing to do..."
- Suichiro - "Actually, I'm not at home right now."
- Zaira - "Huh?"
- Suichiro - "I'm...at a car maintenance shop. You remember me saying that I'm working on my Silvia? Well, my Silvia's in here."
- Zaira - "Ahhh...I see..."
- Suichiro - "So, you need help on the homework?"
- Zaira - "Huh? Uh...well...maybe I'll just do this on my own, I...think you're quite busy right now..."
- Suichiro - "No, It's fine."
- Zaira - "No, really, I can manage..."
- Suichiro - "Don't worry about me. So, on what number do you need help? Our homework's about perfect square trinomials. Wait a minute, let me check my notebook..."
- Zaira - "Uh... well, yeah, ehehe... Is it really okay for him to be teaching me? I might just be disturbing him..."
- Suichiro - "I was right, perfect square trinomials. So, on what number do you need help on?"
- Zaira - "I've got to be honest with him... he's a nice guy, lying to him would make me a bad person... Uhm, well......all of them."
- Suichiro - "!! All of them?! Hold on, are you paying attention to class??"
- Zaira - "...Ehehehe..."
- Suichiro - "......I'll take that as a 'no' ...*sigh* All right, let's get started. Over on Part 1, #1. You see the given factors, right?"
- Zaira - "..Ah! Uhm, (x - 7) and (x + 2) , right?"
- Suichiro - "Yes. Good she, managed to copy the given problems, at least. Okay, what you need to do is use FOIL method to solve this..."

Suichiro, despite having to do something else, insists on helping Zaira with the homework.

- Zaira - "Uh huh...uh huh...so then, you do this..."

- Shop mechanic - "Oi, Suichiro!! you said you wanted to have the intercooler instal--"
- Suichiro - (sign language) "Shhh!!"
- Shop mechanic - "Oh, damn...! You said you wanted to have to have the intercooler installed, along with the new turbine?"
- Suichiro - (nods)
- Shop mechanic - (thumbs up)
- Zaira - "...and so, -7 * -9 becomes +63, right?"
- Suichiro - "...Nani? I'm sorry Akawa-san, you lost me there. Could you repeat that?"
- Zaira - "Yeah sure...uh... I don't know if I should really be doing this..."

- Shop mechanic - Hey, Suichiro! I need your voice on this. Should we go on with the differential?"
- Suichiro - "Akawa-san, hold on for a minute. The differential? Yes, please. Oh, and soft settings this time! ...Akawa-san, where were we? Oh yes, on #8..."
- Shop mechanic - "You got it! ...Soft settings...well, this car ain't that heavily tuned, so I guess it's fine."
- Fellow mechanic - "You know, that Suichiro kid...he's kinda mature and serious for his age."
- Shop mechanic - "So you noticed it, too. What about it?"
- Fellow mechanic - "Nothing...it's just that...I'm not used to those kind of youngsters...he sounds like he's already 20, even though he's just a high schooler."
- Shop mechanic - "Actually, I like those kind of people. I bet he's the top student in his class! If he was my son, I'd be proud!"

(around 8:30 PM)

- Zaira - "Yatta! I'm finally done! Arigato gozaimasu. Suichiro-san!"
- Suichiro - "You're welcome."
- Zaira - "It would've taken me all night to finish this without your help. Thanks for your troubles, I owe you one!"
- Suichiro - "Uh, sure..."
- Zaira - "By the way, it's getting pretty late. *gasp* It's already 8:30! Are you still at the shop?!"
- Suichiro - "I'm just about to leave, I'm going home now."
- Zaira - "You're supposed to leave earlier than usual, right?? *sigh* I'm so sorry......"
- Suichiro - "It's okay. Don't worry, it only takes me 30 minutes to get home from here."
- Zaira - "I...uh...see..."
- Suichiro - "Well, I better get going now. Good night, Akawa-san."
- Zaira - "Good night, too. Take care, thanks again for the help."
- Suichiro - "Sure."

Suichiro hung up.

- Zaira - "Suichiro...he's such a nice guy...*blush* ......... *gasp* !! What the?! What was that just now?"

*next day, September 12, 2019. School, Math period. Classroom...*

- Ayane - "Wow, Zaira! You're amazing! You got all of the answers right!"
- Kimiko - "Sugoi..."
- Zaira - "Ehehe...well, I...couldn't have done it without Suichiro's help."
- Kimiko - "Suichiro helped you? How? He came over to your house?"
- Zaira - "N-No...he...called me......rather, I asked him to call me..."
- Ayane - "Really? Hey, Suichiro-san. Is it true?"
- Suichiro - "?? What's true?"
- Kimiko - "Zaira asked you to call her to help her on the homework."
- Suichiro - "Oh, that? Yes, it's true."
- Ayane - "No way. I bet it took you an hour over the phone to teach her."
- Suichiro - "Well, actually it took me an hour and a half. Akawa-san, you need to pay attention to the teacher's lectures next time."
- Ayane, Kimiko - "Ahahaha!" (Zaira blushes)
- Suichiro - "Don't worry, Akawa-san, I'm sure you will. Ueda-san, here's your notebook."
- Kimiko - "Let's see... I still got a few mistakes, but it's an improvement over the last one!"
- Ayane - "Hey, Kimiko. Gimme mine." (receives her notebook) "......N-No way... I got more than half of the answers wrong..."
- Zaira - "Yoshi! Now that that's taken care of, all I need to worry about now is the race this coming Sunday!"
- Kimiko - "That's on your mind already?? Unbelievable..."
- Zaira - "Thanks again for the help, Suichiro. How's your car doing?"
- Suichiro - "There's still some work left on it, so I probably won't be able to use it yet."
- Zaira - "Is that so. I want to see your Silvia so badly."

*a few days later...September 15, 2019. Tsukuba Circuit...*

- Zaira - "There's a lot of people here, compared to Motorland."
- Tori - "Tsukuba Circuit IS one of the most popular race tracks in Japan, I wouldn't be surprised. Oh sweety, may I just ask, will your friend be coming here like last time."
- Zaira - "Uh huh. He said he'd be coming at this time..."
- Suichiro - "Akawa-san."
- Zaira - "Ah, Suichiro-san!"
- Suichiro - "Mr. Akawa, nice to see you again." (bows)
- Tori - "Haven't we talked about this before? Don't bow at me, you might get us some attention. I don't want any interviews or autographs right now on my break."
- Suichiro - "Sumimasen."
- Tori - "Haha, don't worry, it's alright. So, Zaira honey, are you ready?"
- Zaira - "Yeah! Hey Suichiro, would you mind looking after my car for us? We'll be back later, thanks!"
- Suichiro - "Okay. .........No doubt, that's the MR2 from..."

IMG0013BW.jpg

Zaira goes out of the pits for her practice session.

- Tori - "There are always a lot of races being held here, so you'll be practicing along with other drivers on the course today."
- Zaira - "Okay."

IMG0054-4.jpg

- Tori - "Take care not to crash on the other cars."

IMG0055-3.jpg

- Zaira - "So this is the Tsukuba Circuit..."

IMG0056-3.jpg

- Zaira - "Oh, there's a car behind me."

IMG0057-3.jpg

- Zaira - "Better let it past, for now I'm just studying the course."
- RX-8 driver - "Hmm??"

IMG0058-3.jpg

IMG0059-2.jpg

- Zaira - "Another one? Hmmm..."

IMG0060-3.jpg

- Mazda6 driver - "Huh? What with that MR2?"
- Zaira - "A Mazda6..."

IMG0061-3.jpg

- Zaira - "?? If that's the pit lane entrance, then that must mean this is the final corner..."

IMG0062-3.jpg

- Zaira - "Awww, I wanted to see the other cars, but the track is small. Oh well..."

IMG0063-2.jpg

- Zaira - "Yoshi, let's begin."

IMG0064-2.jpg

IMG0065-2.jpg

- Zaira - "If you thought I'm a slow driver back then, you're wrong."

IMG0066-2.jpg

IMG0067-1.jpg

- Zaira - "This course is full of round corners. This will be short work for my MR2."

IMG0068-2.jpg

- Mazda6 driver - "What the? How'd that MR2 catch up?"
- Zaira - "Hehehe..."

IMG0069-2.jpg

- Zaira - "I was just playing around back then."

IMG0070-1.jpg

- Mazda6 driver - "I'm getting outdragged here??"

IMG0071-1.jpg

- Mazda6 driver - "Damn, that car has the drivetrain advantage on sweepers..."

IMG0072-1.jpg

- Zaira - "I know this is a practice session, but I just can't help turning this into a race now that there are other drivers in the course. This is fun!"

IMG0073-1.jpg

- Zaira - "Hard braking over here..."

IMG0074-1.jpg

- Zaira - "It's quite hot today...better lower the AC temperature down a notch."

IMG0075-1.jpg

- Zaira - (refers to the RX-8) "You're next."

IMG0076-1.jpg

- Zaira - "The hairpin's coming up."

IMG0077-1.jpg

- Zaira - "I get it now...when it comes to overtaking, this section of the track is critical."

IMG0078.jpg

- Zaira - "I can overtake here, or on the straight that follows instead. But I need to have a good exit speed if I choose the straight."

IMG0079.jpg

- RX-8 driver - "?? Was she just studying the course a while ago? That thing's fast!"

IMG0080.jpg

- Zaira - "Whoa!" (MR2 slides)

IMG0081.jpg

- Zaira - "That was close! But, that was something new. My car never slid like that before..."

IMG0082.jpg

(at the pits)

- Tori - "Hey, Suichiro."
- Suichiro - "What is it, Mr. Akawa?"
- Tori - "Aren't you going to race here?"
- Suichiro - "No, my car isn't ready yet."
- Tori - "Why?"
- Suichiro - "I'm still working on it. It'll probably take about 1 or 2 weeks before I can race with it."
- Tori - "I see.........Did you get the settings wrong??"
- Suichiro - "!!"
- Tori - "...I thought so. ...Zaira, that's 3 laps now. Get back to the pits."

- Zaira - "You got it, Dad."

- Tori - "Suichiro, why keep it a secret?"
- Suichiro - "Well, I don't know, it's just one of those things that I like to keep to myself. In addition, I just don't see any point in talking about it with someone else."
- Tori - "How about me and Zaira?"
- Suichiro - "!! Huh? Well...uh...I-I've been thinking about it..."
- Tori - "Ahaha! If you need help on your car, don't hesitate to ask me, okay?"

- Tori - "How's the course, Zaira?"
- Zaira - "Better than Motorland. I couldn't help turning my practice session into a race because there are other drivers around the course, ahaha!"
- Tori - "You intentionally slowed down? *sigh* Listen sweety, that's not a good habit, okay? Stop that."
- Zaira - "Yes, Dad..."
- Tori - "Haha, cheer up. You don't want to get all gloomy while racing later, right? You gotta feel the adrenaline while you're behind the wheel!! You need to feel the rush and excitement!!"
- Zaira - "Ahahaha! That's a good one, Dad!"
- Tori - "But don't get too excited, okay?"
- Zaira - "Okay!"

A few moments later, Zaira's grid was up next for the race. Again, she is placed in the last position."

IMG0006-5.jpg

- Zaira - "This lineup has exotics in it. I hope you guys will give me a good race this time!"

1st: Honda Civic Type R '04

IMG0000-8.jpg

2nd: Mazda RX-7 Infini III

IMG0001-6.jpg

3rd: Honda Accord EX Coupe

IMG0002-7.jpg

4th: Audi A3 Quattro

IMG0003-8.jpg

5th: Nissan Skyline GT-B Sedan

IMG0004-6.jpg

6th: Toyota MR2 G-Limited '97

IMG0005-9.jpg

The crowds can hear each of the car's distinct sounds as they cross the starting line. Race 2, begin!!

IMG0007-7.jpg

next on Red-Zone: Chapter 7 - First "Real" Race

don't miss it!!

CHARACTER PROFILES

Suichiro Fujime

Birthday: August 2

Quiet and enigmatic, Suichiro may look very mature for his age, but in truth he is a very kind, smart, and hardworking person. Despite his serious attitude, he surprisingly gets along well with others.

Loves: Makisushi, AWD cars, friendly people, a properly-tuned car, an advanced-level or higher race track

Hates: Trash talk, bad jokes, jerks who like to show off a lot, capital-A a:censored:holes

Last edited:
Nice chapter mate.👍 Liked the picture you used with the sun to demonstrate the heat, tops.👍

Finally a decent challenge for Zaira. :D The CTR and RX-7 should give the MR-2 a fight at least. :P

Are you planning on Zaira ever failing to win a race? Sometimes the hero's have to do that...

It better be soon, then. Last time, it ended like my brother predicted. Initial D style. And for the looks of it, this one seems to be heading that way too. Last time, Tori was 18 at least. This time, however, she is 15. Way to go, Zaikumi!

Last edited:
Are you planning on Zaira ever failing to win a race? Sometimes the hero's have to do that...
We need the a crash over a amateur mistake for acting so bold in the previous chapters. Like trying to drift on the last corner on the last lap then noticing the runner up beat her.

Chapter 7 - First "Real" Race​

The crowds can hear each of the car's distinct sounds as they cross the starting line. Race 2, begin!!

- Zaira - "Let's go, MR2!"

IMG0008-6.jpg

IMG0009-8.jpg

- Zaira - "A G35......sedan?! Lame..."

IMG0010-7.jpg

- Zaira - "You should've picked the Coupe version, that one's better."

IMG0011-6.jpg

- GT-B driver - "The hell...?!"

IMG0012-7.jpg

- Zaira - "The cars get jam-packed at this braking point. Gotta be careful."

IMG0013-7.jpg

- Zaira - "Next up, the A3."

IMG0014-6.jpg

IMG0015-7.jpg

- Zaira - "Whoa, my car's sliding again!"
- A3 driver - "Did I hear tires screeching? ...!! What the...the MR2's already behind me?"

IMG0016-8.jpg

- A3 driver - "I need to pick up more speed..."

IMG0017-7.jpg

- A3 driver - "Dammit..."
- Zaira - "Gotcha."

IMG0018-9.jpg

- Zaira - "Almost forgot, this is the most critical part of the course."

IMG0019-7.jpg

- Zaira - "Yoshi, I have a good enough exit speed."

IMG0020-6.jpg

- Accord driver - "C'mon, go faster you piece of...!"

IMG0021-8.jpg

- Zaira - "Darn it, this sliding has got to stop."

IMG0022-8.jpg

- Zaira - "Okay, gotta keep up this momentum if I'm gonna win."

IMG0023-8.jpg

IMG0024-8.jpg

- Zaira - "Yes, I'm close enough."
- FC driver - "What the, no way! I know for sure that thing was at the back of the grid!"

IMG0025-7.jpg

- EP3 driver - "All I need to do is maintain this lead, and this'll be all over."

IMG0026-8.jpg

- FC driver - "S:censored:...where? To the right? Left?"

IMG0027-7.jpg

- FC driver - "Not good!"

IMG0028-5.jpg

IMG0029-7.jpg

- Zaira - "All right, just one more car left."

IMG0030-7.jpg

- Zaira - "You're not getting away from me."

IMG0031-7.jpg

- EP3 driver - (surprised) "*gasp* Absolutely no way, that driver's amazing!"

IMG0032-6.jpg

- EP3 driver - "He made his way up the grid?"

IMG0033-5.jpg

- EP3 driver - "Oh no!"
- Zaira - "Just a little more..."

IMG0034-6.jpg

- Zaira - "Calm down...I have the drivetrain advantage...my MR2's able to pull off a better exit speed than that Civic."
- EP3 driver - "He's all over me!"

IMG0035-4.jpg

- Zaira - "A drag race to the finish, this should be fun." (floors the gas pedal)

IMG0036-6.jpg

- EP3 driver - "Not good enough, faster!" (floors the gas pedal)

IMG0037-6.jpg

- Zaira - "Hehehe..."
- EP3 driver - "At this rate I'm gonna lose!"

IMG0038-6.jpg

- EP3 driver - "RWD cars have a great advantage on this course, I should've used one..."
- Zaira - "Midship cars rule at cornering!"

IMG0039-7.jpg

IMG0040-6.jpg

(at the pits)

- Zaira - "Yey!! I won again, for real this time!"
- Suichiro - "Congratulations, Akawa-san."
- Tori - "Congrats on your win, honey--Whoa!" (Zaira suddenly hugs)
- Zaira - "Thanks!"
- Tori - "So, how was it?"
- Zaira - "Even though the drivers here didn't put up much of a good fight, they were certainly better than thos in Motorland. Speaking of which, there was this one guy who gave a good challenge. Where is he--?"

- EP3 driver - "That MR2 driver was amazing, Nami-kun. He went all the way from last to first. Even though I didn't win, I had a good race."
- ? - "I'm glad that Karen-sama is happy."
- EP3 driver - "Where is he? Wait here, I'll go look for--"

The two of them, as soon as they turned their heads around, notice that they were just across from each other a few feet apart.

(simultaneously)

- Zaira - "Hey! You must be the EP3 driver--......wait...you're a...girl?!"
- EP3 driver - Hey! You must be the MR2 driver--......wait...you're a...girl?!"

- EP3 driver - "Hey, nice race back there. Congratulations for the win!"
- Zaira - "Ehehe, thanks! I gotta hand it to you, you put up a good fight."
- EP3 driver - "C'mon, you're the one who's got amazing driving skills. By the way, what's your name?"
- Zaira - "Zaira Akawa."
- Karen - "I'm Karenomiya Ichijo. You can just call me Karen. Nice to meet you, Zaira-kun!"
- Zaira - "Nice to meet you too, Karen-kun!"

Zaira and Karen are talking to each other as if they're already friends.

- Karen - "Zaira-kun, would you like to go for another race? I thought drivers outside Japan would be great opponents, but after that race, I think I should stick with racing against our own."
- Zaira - "Really?? Hmm...Dad, can I? Please? Please? Pretty pleaaaase??"
- Tori - "Well, it's only 1 PM... it ain't bad if you went for another. We have to skip the practice session if you're racing again."
- Zaira - "No problem, I still remember the track."
- Tori - "Then it's settled!"
- Zaira - "Yey! Thanks, Dad!"
- Karen - "Hey Zaira, why don't we go enlist on the same grid again?"
- Zaira - "Okay, if you're not gonna place yourself in P1, that is. Ahaha!"
- Karen - "It's a deal! Hey, Nami-kun, you mind if I go for another race?"
- Man - "If that is what Karen-sama wishes."
- Zaira - "Nami-kun? More over, sama ......SAMA?!"
- Suichiro - "Sama?"
- Tori - "Sama?! Wait a minute...that means..."

- Karen - "Oh that's right, I forgot to introduce him to you. He's Namita, my 'guardian'."
- Namita - "It's a pleasure to meet all of you." (bows)

- Zaira - "Oh, I see."

- Tori - "Hey Suichiro...doesn't 'sama' mean..."
- Suichiro - (nods)
- Tori - "I see."

So Zaira and Karen enlisted for another race in the Tsukuba Circuit, with their guardians' consent.

- Karen - "Okay, all we need to do now is wait for our lineup's turn on the grid. You excited, Zaira-kun?"
- Zaira - "Of course! I'm always excited when I'm gonna race!"

next on Red-Zone: Chapter 8 - Bloodline

don't miss it!!

Last edited:
Nice chapter, I have one suspiscion and one quarrel though.
First, the MR2 has a twin exhaust and only one spews flames?:lol:
Second, we don't all speak Japanese, what does Sama mean?!:lol:

Keep it up young fella.👍

Nice chapter, I have one suspiscion and one quarrel though.
First, the MR2 has a twin exhaust and only one spews flames?:lol:
Second, we don't all speak Japanese, what does Sama mean?!:lol:

Keep it up young fella.👍

I didn't time the "exhaust bangs" right, but that'll do.., :D

Sama is used to address someone who belongs to a high-class family.., 👍

I thought that "-sama" was just used because he/she is just a friend or you barely known them like how "-kun" or "-chan" is when you know them for a long time. Well, there is always "-dono"

Back