Replace the car: game.

  • Thread starter Thread starter King Cockery
  • 132 comments
  • 5,411 views
RenesisEvo
The word from someone who owns a 917/30 - the 917K is the Le Mans race car! - is that is will kick out around 1500bhp on a good day. And not just for qualifying :crazy:

Yeah.

That Porsche 3.5 litre flat-12 was probably one of the best racing engines ever. Well nigh unburstable, and it put out colossal horsepower for its size.

O'course, the original long-tail 917 chassis and transmission was nowhere near developed enough to cope with it. Hence all the 917s retiring in their first Le Mans outing with bust cog-boxes, and the comment by one of the original test drivers while testing at Spa: "Blardy 'ell, Dave, if we drop this lot we'll be so far off the track we'll need an atlas to find it again."

My suggestions (ignoring for a moment any licencing difficulties - I suspect that if PD spent a little more of their budget on licencing and a little less on driving every single Skyline that has ever been created, ever, Porsche might be tempted).

Ford GT40 LM SpecII Race Car -------> 1960s/70s Ford GT40 Race Car which can actually be driven properly. It should be able to complete a lap of Sarthe without going off, and should NOT have a rear wing anywhere near it.

Peugeot 905 ---------> Peugeot 905 with a non-sabotaged gearbox. The amount of creative physics PD has indulged in to ensure the Japanese Group C cars are the fastest is nothing short of ridiculous. The Minolta Toyota and the R89C/R92CP should be among the slowest, not fastest, and the 905 should be up there with the Sauber. The bottoming-out, however, can stay - the sparks make for cool-looking replays.

Any Skyline ------> Cadillac Northstar LMP. Too many Skylines; not enough LMPs. You do the math.

Any Skyline ------> Porsche 917K in Gulf colours. PD NEEDS these 5 Porsches in the game, and this one is my favourite of all.

Any Skyline ------> Porsche 935 "Moby Dick". Because it's fun. And ridiculously powerful for its size.

Spyker --------> Porsche 917/30. Why, in their infinite wisdom, did PD see fit to put a whole country in so that they could put this thing in? 917/30 is much more fun - it looks like an unfeasibly fast wedge of cheese. And the game needs more Can-Am cars.

Any Skyline -------> Porsche 956. One of the most successful racing cars ever, and better looking than its long-wheelbase (for USAC) 962 variant. In Joest 'New Man' or works Rothmans livery, please.

Dangan -------> Porsche 908. Because it's old and fun, and goes well with the GT40s.

One of the Peugeot 205T16s -------> Audi Quattro S1.

Mercedes 2.5-16 Evo street version -------> McLaren M8. For those mad induction trumpets, mainly, and to keep the Toyota 7 company.

That'll do for now, though I'm sure I'll think of more.




Same with some circuits (again, if I could choose anything)

Tsukuba -------> Spa-Francorchamps. Boring, bland and flat ----> fun, challenging, and REALLY good candidate for a wet race. Eau Rouge in the wet - scary.

Fuji 2005 ------> Elkhart Lake. I hate the newest Fuji, and two incarnations is enough. Elkhart Lake - now THAT's a circuit.

George V Paris --------> Sebring. A cool circuit (lots of surface changes) and a good candidate for an Endurance race.

Montegi Road Course --------> Road Atlanta. Dull, by-the-numbers 'new' autodrome ----> proper circuit.

Infineon Raceway --------> Sears Point. (I know it's the same thing, but give it its proper name!)

Montegi East Short Course --------> Mount Panorama. Strangely overlooked by most game makers, this'd be a stunning circuit for GT.

Seoul Central -------> Surfer's Paradise. I like this circuit.

That'll do, I think. Anyone agree?
 
Mercedes Benz SL500 '98 --------->Mercedes Benz C class
Mercedes Benz SL500 '98 --------->Mercedes Benz S class
 
Fink Floyd
Yeah.
That Porsche 3.5 litre flat-12 was probably one of the best racing engines ever.

I thought it had a 5 litre flat twelve? Seems like an awfully large engine for 3.5 litres but then again it was partially air cooled.

I wish it was in the game though. Beautiful car and probably one of the maddest Group C / LMP / Sports Prototype ever to put to a racetrack.
 
Suzuka West----->Bathurst Mt. Panorama pre-1986 (AKA Without the Chase)
Seoul------------>Bathurst Mt. Panorama 1987-present
 
Fink Floyd
Infineon Raceway --------> Sears Point. (I know it's the same thing, but give it its proper name!)That'll do, I think. Anyone agree?
:dunce: go to Sonoma and you will see that on the sign with the cow with wings and flames, it says it big letters "INFINEON RACEWAY" Sears Point is just Infineon's nick name. :dunce:
 
@Fink Floyd
I agree about the Porsche, and the 935 and 959 are good cars.
I think the 550ASpider wood be cool too.
 
Master_Yoda
:dunce: go to Sonoma and you will see that on the sign with the cow with wings and flames, it says it big letters "INFINEON RACEWAY" Sears Point is just Infineon's nick name. :dunce:

:dunce:

You have no clue what you are talking about Yoda, do a google search on the track.
 
kennythebomb
:dunce:

You have no clue what you are talking about Yoda, do a google search on the track.

Why don't you do a google search on the track...

The first result for "sears point" is infineonraceway.com, followed by searspoint.com with the description, "Infineon Raceway...(blablabla)." :lol:
 
Wolfe2x7
Why don't you do a google search on the track...

The first result for "sears point" is infineonraceway.com, followed by searspoint.com with the description, "Infineon Raceway...(blablabla)." :lol:

Sears Point is the circuit's real name, and has been for most of its history. Infineon Technologies currently has a naming deal with the circuit, but that runs out around 2010, when it'll be called Sears Point again.
 
Wolfe2x7
Why don't you do a google search on the track...

The first result for "sears point" is infineonraceway.com, followed by searspoint.com with the description, "Infineon Raceway...(blablabla)." :lol:

Sometimes doing a google search entails more than looking at the first result for one sentence that is likely quoted out of context without any information backing it up. :sly:

Thank you Fink Floyd.
 
HKS_T51KAI
Lexus SC300 with toyota soarer 2.5 TT(JDM)
S2000(US) with S2000(JDM)
JDM cars are more original
just to let you know, every s2k in the game is jdm spec, no usdm s2k exists in the game, at least for ntsc
 
Tappajakoala
Plenty of Skylines should go to trashcan and ANY car could replace them...for example Lada. :D
id never **** can any skyline, lada shouldnt even have the chance to make it in a GTP
 
240sx ----> 180sx (JDM)

they really messed this one up in the ntsc version, because the car says its a 240sx but has the stats of a 180sx with the sr20det motor, i just cant understand why they would mislable the car.
 
I agree with the mini swap on pg 1

M coupe --> M roadster (Z3)

And I'm pretty sure I saw left-hand-drive S2ks in this game. That could only be US. spec, right?
 
180SX had the CA18 in it.
 
kennythebomb
Sometimes doing a google search entails more than looking at the first result for one sentence that is likely quoted out of context without any information backing it up. :sly:

Thank you Fink Floyd.

Okay, I was wrong, Fink Floyd is right, but browsing the official website for the track (which I did before that post :rolleyes: ) yields zero references to the name Sears Point. Even on the history page, the track is referred to as Infineon Raceway throughout the entire summary.

On a search for "sears point infineon," articles about the name change and the deal behind it don't appear until the second page. Hardly obscure, but hardly obvious, either.

In order to find something, it helps to know what you're looking for. Save your "go search google" remarks for things that are a bit more blatant. :indiff:
 
Wolfe2x7
but browsing the official website for the track (which I did before that post :rolleyes: ) yields zero references to the name Sears Point.

It would do. As far as I can tell, this 'naming deal' involves pretending that the circuit was never called anything else. Bit confusing when it changes - do we get to pretend it was never called Infineon then?

If you're interested, here's the circuit biography from etracksonline.

A classic road course near Sonoma in northern California, Infineon Raceway started life in 1968 as Sears Point Raceway. The 2.52-mile road racing course was constructed on 720 acres by Marin County attorney Robert Marshall Jr. and land developer Jim Coleman.

Conceived during a hunting trip, ground breaking for the circuit began in August 1968, with paving completed by November the same year. The SCCA held the first event on December 1, 1968.

After being sold to the Filmways Corp., a Los Angeles-based entertainment company for $4.5 million in 1969, the track began a turbulent period. Sears Point actually closed in May 1970 after recording losses and did not reopen until 1973, when it was leased to Hugh Harn and Parker Archer for $1 million.

Soon after, the Bob Bondurant Performance Driving School relocated to Sears Point from the Ontario Speedway in southern California. By 1974, Bondurant and partner Bill Benk had taken over mangement of the leased facility.

By 1977, a consortium which included Bondurant had bought the track for $1.5 million off the Filmways Corp., with Chris Pook and the Long Beach Grand Prix Assoication also coming on board in 1980.

The track was renamed Golden State Raceway in 1981, but the Black Mountain consortium found itself in trouble when Filmways seized back ownership after payments were defaulted. Bondurant has already resigned as president in a dispute with Pook over the Long Beach Grand Prix's management plan.

Filmways sold the track for a second time to operations chief Jack Williams, Rick Betts and John Andersen at auction for $800,000. Fortunately some stability returned to Sears Point (as it was once again called), with sponsorship from Ford coming in 1983 and extra partners coming aboard in the shape of Dr. Frank N. Scott Jr. and Harvey "Skip" Berg.

The track was given its first complete repaving in 1985 and pit buildings appeared for the first time. 1987 saw NHRA drag racing arrive at the circuit's strip, providing a big boost to the calendar of events. When Riverside Raceway closed in 1988, Sears Point gained another headline event with the annual visit of the NASCAR stars. Ricky Rudd won the inaugural race in 1989.

The same year the Skip Barber Racing School replaced the Bondurant Driving School - though this in turn was replaced by the Jim Russell School in 1996.

1995 saw a $3 million upgrade before the track was sold off by Berg to Speedway Motorsports, Inc in November 1996. Major renovations begin in 1998 with the creation of "The Chute," an 890-foot high-speed stretch between Turns 4 and 7, used for all NASCAR-sanctioned events. Trans-Am and Sportscar races also returned to Sears Point, with AMA Superbikes following in 1999.

A $35 million modernisation plan - with the aim of creating one of the USA's premier motor racing facilities - began in 2001, with a modified Chute section, revised motorcycle course, better fan facilities and a kart track all included.

Infineon Technologies concluded a 10-year naming deal with the circuit in June 2002.

Hope that helps.
 
mmmsushi
id never **** can any skyline, lada shouldnt even have the chance to make it in a GTP

Why not, out of interest? There are over 30 different Skyline variations in GT4, as I understand it* - who the hell needs that many? Why do you need them all? Presumably after a certain point you're just collecting them so that you can say you have every Skyline in the game - so if there were twenty less, it wouldn't change much, right? Most manufacturers don't have 30 cars, let alone 30 variants of the same car.

I definitely agree that the number of Nissans, Toyotas and Hondas in the game should be severely pruned to make room for cooler stuff. Not Ladas, perhaps (though I don't see why not), but there are FAR worthier candidates for inclusion than 'just one more Skyline'.


* May not be totally accurate, but I think it's close to that number.
 
slowman
Get rid of M3 GTR Street Version-> Replace with '91 E30 M3 2.5 Sport Evo

Helluva lot more RAW!

Amen! E30 ///M3 w. 2.3 / 2.5L S14 Engine = :sly:
 
MJBayUNL
I'd go with the '69 ZL-1, it is the all aluminum L-88

So that was the Z-number for the L-88 Corvette, I knew it had one but could not remember what it was.

To the best of my knowlegde all L-88s were all aluminum, that is why I just said the L-88 Corvette. If I am mistaken in this I appologize.
 
The Ford GT '02 for the Ford GT90 '95.
 
puricele7e
Amen! E30 ///M3 w. 2.3 / 2.5L S14 Engine = :sly:

E30 ///M3 Gruppe A w. 320+hp 2.5L S14 Engine = :sly: ++
 
Wolfe2x7
E30 ///M3 Gruppe A w. 320+hp 2.5L S14 Engine = :sly: ++

Even a stock ///M3 would be at least that much fun:dopey: !! I figured out how to simulate the engine noise..... :scared:

don't laugh but it's a :
wwwwooooooooooooowwww, just like the word wow, but 4-5 sec. long :) :dunce:

BTW: Very nice car, my tip....if you may...get rid of the federal US Bumper(s), they ruin the whole car :yuck: Otherwise 👍 👍 👍
 
puricele7e
Even a stock ///M3 would be at least that much fun:dopey: !! I figured out how to simulate the engine noise..... :scared:

don't laugh but it's a :
wwwwooooooooooooowwww, just like the word wow, but 4-5 sec. long :) :dunce:

BTW: Very nice car, my tip....if you may...get rid of the federal US Bumper(s), they ruin the whole car :yuck: Otherwise 👍 👍 👍

The post-9/87 bumpers won't work, and I'm not sure, but I don't think the pre-9/87 Euro bumpers can be put on, either.

The only solution is to drill holes in the shocks and push the bumpers in, and A. I don't think that looks any better, it just looks kinda worse, and B. Doing so would be going through a lot of work, just to reduce the effectiveness of my bumpers for the sake of appearance. :lol:

Thanks for the 👍 's, though. I love my car. :)
 
ANY and i mean ANY car for the Oscar Myer car, I WANNA DRIVE IT AROUND THE RING! :dopey: :scared:
 
u didnt put one


bmw m5 to...................
 
torque998
Replace:
Pescarolo Courage C60 --> Cadillac Northstar LMP

Cheverolet Corvette C5R --> Cheverolet Corvette C6R

Panoz Esperante GTR-1 --> Panoz LMP-1

Nissan R89C --> Porche 962

Ford GT LM Spec II --> Aston Martin DBR9

I agree with all except the ford gt
 
'oo falcon v8 supercar for '06 Holden Commodore Team Red (HRT) V8 Supercar.
 
Back